2.1

2008 Dodge Grand Caravan accessories - exterior problems

accessories - exterior problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Dodge Grand Caravan:

2008 Dodge Grand Caravan Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

May 022016

Grand Caravan

Frequently will not start-have to raise hood & smack top of black box & then it will start, will go "crazy" while parked with no keys in ignition-horn honks, lights flash on & off, wipers go & fluid sprays-again have to smack box to make it stop. Between 5/2/16 & 5/18/16, while driving down the road, four times the motor has shut itself off, horn has begun honking, wipers go, fluid sprays, running lights go off. ** it twice on 5/18/16! thank god, was going slowly down a side street-again had to raise hood, smack on top of that black box-fuses and sensors must be in there-and it stopped acting crazy and restarted. My husband has been driving it as I refuse to!! very surprised and concerned that there has not been recall as this seems to be a very frequent issue with these vans-wish I had never bought mine!

- Warren, PA, USA

Mar 172016

Grand Caravan

Sept 2015-my engine shut off while driving at 25mph and the horn and wipers went crazy. I was able to pull car to side of road safely. Feb 2016- took van in for recall for new key fab. The following week the car went crazy when I pushed unlock button to get into the vehicle using the new key fab. Horn went off, wipers squirting fluid and doors locked on me except for the rear hatch. Took into dealer they changed the clock spring. March 2016- vehicle went crazy again (horn, wipers, doors) I got into vehicle through rear hatch, unlocked hood, turned key to start to see if I could unlock, car started. I tried to turn off and engine kept going without key in ignition. I got out disconnected battery cable and the vehicle. Was still going crazy and the engine was still running for about 10 minutes. I took vehicle into dealer they first stated it needed new battery cables.. I told them that will not fix the issue.. it is more than that. Keep the vehicle until you find the real solution. Now the dealership is telling me it is the integrated power module ($950) on top on the clock spring that they replaced for ($550). I feel like the dealership is just reaching for solutions and ion the meantime I have to keep paying for their testing.

- Southgate, MI, USA

Feb 112016

Grand Caravan

All the electronics in my car started going crazy. My windshield wipers (both fwd and aft) started, while the washer fluid was being dispensed, the car horn was blaring, and the electronic door locks were very rapidly being cycled. While driving on the highway the car stalled. Luckily, I was able to pull over to the side of the road without being hit or causing an accident. The Dodge dealership diagnosed it as a bad totally intergrated power module (tipm) and replaced it. Apparently, it distributes electrical power to all the systems in the vehicle. So, when the car stalled it was due to power being cut off to the fuel pump. I could have easily been killed, due to the sudden loss of engine power or another electrical component such as the air bag, brake, or traction system could have been affected.

- Cherry Hill, NJ, USA

Dec 132015

Grand Caravan

The instrument panel randomly lights up with all warning lights and chimes going off simultaneously, the windshield wipers activating and headlights flashing. Stopping the car, turning it off and on doesn't reset the problem, but it randomly goes away and doesn't happen again for two weeks or a month. It happens when the vehicle is stopped or in motion, while the vehicle is running. I see an open NHTSA investigation matching this on my vehicle, for a tipmodule

- Wailuku, HI, USA

Nov 172015

Grand Caravan

I have had my car in many times for horn blowing, wipers and washers going, all lights going off at night ( I could have been killed) blower not working, car not starting, doors not closing. It has cost me several thousand dollars in repairs and the last time I was told the tipm computer would fix everything. The car computer was already replaced. The car was on the highway at 60mph and also at stop lights. This all happened over several years.

- Bethlehem, CT, USA

Oct 082015

Grand Caravan

The front and back wipers came on. The back wiper fluid was squirting. The horn came on and stayed on. The interior and exterior lights turned on and the accelerator stopped working. This occurred twice on the day listed. The second time, I disconnected the battery and the problem would not stop. Also, with both terminals of the battery disconnected, I was able to start the car up.

Oct 072015

Grand Caravan

The front and back wipers came on. The back wiper fluid was squirting. The horn came on and stayed on. The interior and exterior lights turned on. All of this occurred while the vehicle was parked in the driveway. The engine had been off for 10 minutes. The battery had to be jumped because it was drained too much.

Oct 042015

Sep 212015

Grand Caravan

The front and back wipers came on. The back wiper fluid was squirting. The horn came on and stayed on. The interior and exterior lights turned on and the accelerator stopped working. I disconnected the battery and everything stopped. It happened twice on this day.

Sep 202015

Grand Caravan

The front and back wipers came on. The back wiper fluids was squirting. The horn came on and stayed on. The interior and exterior lights turned on and the accelerator stopped working.

Oct 102015

Grand Caravan

Driving down the highway, engine stalled, horn was blaring with no way to turn it off, wipers at full speed and couldn't stop them, car wouldn't start back up. Engine light and gas light(not empty) are now on.

- Fulton, NY, USA

Aug 092015

Grand Caravan

We were driving down the I5 in California when the all the warning lights on the instrument cluster lit up or started flashing. The indicators, wipers and windshield wiper fluid started and would not shut off. I could not turn any of these items off. This lasted for about 1-2 minutes before the van all of a sudden went back to its normal operation. It has happened one other time since then.

- Sacramento, CA, USA

Aug 012015

Grand Caravan

As others have documented, whether at a stand still or driving at varying speeds, horn starts beeping on its own along with wipers going and washer fluid spraying. After the event, front A/C control knob starts controlling the back vents or does nothing at all. No center buttons (defrost, A/C, etc..) work - it's like they're all dead. Just purchased vehicle. Will probably return as a lemon.

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Jun 032015

Grand Caravan

I was driving about 25 miles down the street, when the car suddenly shut off and jerked to a stop. The windshield wipers in the front and the back of the vehicle started moving without my turning them on. The horn started honking by itself. I was in the middle of the street and cars were driving past my vehicle extremely fast and I feared for the safety of my two children. I continued to try to start the car to get out of the way of the fast moving cars, but the vehicle would not restart for another 20 minutes. Once I was able to get the car out of the intersection, the horn would not stop honking and the windshield wipers kept going even though I did not have the key in the ignition. The doors kept locking and unlocking on its own and I was unable to get out of the car with my two children without assistance from my family members who arrived to assist me. The car has not been driven since this incident and remains parked.

- San Francisco, CA, USA

Apr 202013

Grand Caravan

The contact owns a 2008 Dodge Grand Caravan. While attempting to start the vehicle, the key became lodged between the on and the accessory position. The contact had to apply force to the key to shift into the on position. In addition, the windows failed to function and hot air was emitting from the air vents into the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to a dealer. The technician was unable to diagnose or repair the vehicle. The failure recurred on numerous occasions. The contact stated that four months later, the vehicle failed to start. The VIN was included in NHTSA campaign number: 11V139000 (electrical system) however, the part needed to repair the vehicle was unavailable. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was unknown.

- Long Mont, CO, USA

Aug 282013

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

While driving the van at 65 mph while on rt.23 on my way to findlay, Ohio, the windshield wipers cycled a couple times, the gauges went to zero, the radio turned off and the warning alarm went off a couple times. This occured twice while I was driving to findlay and twice on my way back home. Each time, the van continued to run. At the time both hands were on the steering wheel. I know the date because I was headed to my son's soccer game at the university of findlay. It was a very un-nerving experience. On other dates the wipers have run by themselves and even sprayed windshield cleaner for a brief period. I have noticed that other people have reported the same behavior on their vans. I wanted to make sure my experience was noted. It appears the situation can become much worse.

- Granville, OH, USA

Apr 272013

Grand Caravan

We went out to car to get in it, and all doors were locked and would not unlock. Horn started blaring. Windshield wipers went crazy with windshield wiper fluid spraying. Headlights were blinking on and off. Finally able to get in car, things finally calmed down after about 10 - 15 minutes. Next day, we took it to dealership. They tested it, and they said they did not find anything wrong with it. Similar episodes happened after that one which included taking the key out of the ignition, and the car was still running. We took it to a different dealership to have it checked, and they said they could not find anything wrong with it.

- Newnan, GA, USA

Jun 272014

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

On multiple occasions beginning in June '14 my 08 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT would have random electrical malfunctions including synced, intermittent activation of horns, front wipers, rear wipers, front washer fluid spray, rear washer fluid spray, and door locks. These issues would generally come together in "episodes" that could last from about a minute to about 10 minutes. These episodes could occur in rapid succession, separated by only a few seconds, or they might have 5-10 minutes or sometimes days between happenings. This would cause sudden loss of visibility while driving, as the sprayers would cover the windshield with drops but the wipers would not complete a pass to remove the fluid. It was particularly dangerous at night, since the drops would refract light and make visibility almost zero. This also resulted in being locked out of the vehicle on multiple occasions, once with children trapped inside!! while the problems were happening, the remote "clicker" could not be used to unlock or open doors or lift-gate. The only way to enter the vehicle was to use the physical key and force the lock to turn against the pressure of the powered door lock motor repeatedly re-locking the doors other intermittent problems: Transmission would not advance beyond 2nd gear, the check engine light would come on, the dashboard lights would flash and flicker, the back-up camera would flicker (the image is displayed on the radio's screen when the vehicle is in reverse), the dashboard displays would all be turned off or to zero (including tachometer even though the engine was running), and the engine would not shut off with the key switched to "off" and completely removed. Now, the wipers have stopped working completely, which is a perpetual safety issue, until the problems can be solved. Koons Dodge of tysons corner said the problem was the tpim (totally integrated power module).

- Herndon, VA, USA

Sep 252014

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

Engine shut off complete and hard to control the steering wheel and the brakes don't response at all and Chrysler group llc don't do nothing to fix the problem at all and I have over 5 month still paying the van and I can't drive at all.

- Vista, CA, USA

Sep 052014

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

Vehicles instrument gauges failed, odometer, compass, and warning lights will not operate. Windshield wiper runs constantly while key is in the on position or motor is running. Headlights stay on, however brights do not illuminate and blinkers do not operate. All other systems are functional.

- Worland , WY, USA