2008 Dodge Grand Caravan brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Dodge Grand Caravan:

2008 Dodge Grand Caravan Owner Comments (Page 3 of 4)

Apr 062014

Grand Caravan

The contact owns a 2008 Dodge Grand Caravan. The contact stated while driving 10 mph, the esp and traction control warning lamp illuminated immediately after the brakes were engaged. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer for diagnostic testing. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileage were 127,000.

- Fayetteville, NC, USA

Mar 232014

Grand Caravan

The contact owns a 2008 Dodge Grand Caravan. The contact stated that while driving approximately 54 mph, the vehicle suddenly accelerated to 80 mph with the illumination of the electronic throttle and traction control warning lights. The contact attempted to stop the vehicle but the brake pedal could not be depressed. The contact was able to stop the vehicle and discovered that the accelerator pedal had become stuck. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the defect but no solution was offered. The failure mileage was 96,000.

- Edina, MN, USA

Jan 022014

Grand Caravan

The contact owns a 2008 Dodge Grand Caravan. The contact stated that after stopping the vehicle and attempting to accelerate, the brakes engaged and released several time before operating normally. The contact indicated that the electronic stability program and the brake assist system warning lights were illuminated during the incident. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified but no solution was offered. The failure mileage was 125,000.

- Kinston, NC, USA

Nov 012011

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

On going problem. I've never had so much trouble with brakes. I change them out atleast twice a year, which in my opinion is crazy. I have had a set replaced for free due to the lifetime warranty on the brakes. I have changed out rotors and all. Something needs to be done about this.

- Eastman, GA, USA

Feb 282014

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

As I was driving on the interstate in atlanta, my vehicle ABS eps bas and esp light came on. At this time I was unable to use cruise control. Now it comes on intermittently and slows my vehicle down at odd times. I have taken it to the mechanic and they say they don't see anything wrong with it. I travel a lot and would hate for this to happen to me again especially with my children with me.

- Eastman, GA, USA

Sep 152009

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

Heavy vibration coming from front brakes when braking from highway speed. Squealing in rear brakes also. Had to replace all 4 rotors and all pads. We are now at 95,000 miles and currently on the 4th set of rotors and pads both front and rear for the same problems every time. Each set of rotors and pads only lasted about 20,000 miles. Each time the problem happened we took it to the Dodge dealer and were told all 4 rotors needed replacement as well as all pads at all 4 corners. The very first set was replaced free of charge for some reason, but every set of rotors and pads after that was out of pocket cost for me. This is excessive at best.

- Russellville, AR, USA

Oct 232013

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

As I was driving, the dashboard on the van went absolutely insane! then it just shut down completely. Everything is locked up, even the brakes. It won't even let me take the keys out of the ignition! it started working after about an hour. I have had nothing but problems from the months of owning it!!! Chrysler is not much help at all either. They can make a nice car but they have never stood behind the problems they have, I know that because I have owned 3 Chrysler in a row!

- South Lyon, MI, USA

Mar 252009

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

I purchased my van in March of 2009 from lee Chrysler. It was a one owner with some warranty left on it. A week or two, maybe less my husband and I had problems with the keyless entry keys not opening the van. After several trips to the dealership that problem was resolved. From that time on, every few months there was another problem. I have all the documentation, as to when all the work was done and what. When I purchased the van the previous owners had already replaced the brakes and starter. I found this out when I had to replace the brakes October 2011 and the starter in the spring of 2012. Since these items were under warranty in 2008, the first time they were replaced, I think it was the dealerships place to tell me that this work had been done. In July 2013 the ignition stopped working and I had to have it replaced. Lee Chrysler doesn't have cars to loan, I had to rent one at my expense. They ordered and repaired the ignition, then my keys would not program to the new ignition, so I had to wait, paying for the rental another 3 days for them to order new keys, at my expense. The company should have know that old keys, the type I have, would not program to a new ignition. This is just the things that I have receipts for. The recalls I don't have all of them, but you have that list. I think since the company sold me a bad van in the beginning that they should help me get into a vehicle I could afford to replace this one. Ok I know you say why didn't I contact you or someone before now. I did write to Chrysler co. In 2010 and they said they were sorry I was unhappy with my van, but there wasn't anything they could do. I also sent them a E-mail. They will not do anything, my van only has 70,000 miles on it. Thank you for your time.

- Crestview, FL, USA

Mar 142012

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

While driving on the freeway, the traffic was very heavy, hence I had to apply the brakes frequently over a distance of approximately 15-20 miles. As a result of overheating of the brake drums, one of the brake calipers 'froze' (I.e. the brake piston stuck in extended position) and created even more overheating and excessive wear on the brake pad and rotors. In extreme cases, this can cause the rotor to lock up with loss of vehicle control. In my opinion, the brakes design is insufficient for the weight of the vehicle. This is confirmed by the fact that Chrysler replacement procedure/parts now specify a semi-metallic brake pad, similar to what is often used on race cars to handle the excess heat.

- Appleton, WI, USA

Oct 012009

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

I have to have my brake pads and rotors replaced many times. I just had new pads put on in July 2012 and will need new pads again in December 2012. My pads don't even last a year. This is very unsafe as the brakes start to deteriorate so rapidly I need to have them checked every three months during an oil change.

- O Fallon, IL, USA

Oct 012009

Grand Caravan

The contact owns a 2008 Dodge Grand Caravan. The contact stated that the vehicle experienced numerous brake failures. The front and rear brake pads and rotors were replaced several times however, the failure was not corrected. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for routine maintenance and the dealer advised that the rear brakes were not releasing. In addition, the rear brake pads and rotors needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 26,000 and the current mileage was 66,000.

- Machesney Park, IL, USA

Nov 052012

Grand Caravan

Received "safety recall L01" to replace the occupant restraint controller module (orc). The L01 recall was performed at Dodge dealership in daytona auto mall, daytona beach Florida where the vehicle was originally purchased. According to the procedure to replace the orc, the electronic stability dynamic sensor (esp) had to be removed and re-installed as part of the replacement for the orc. Vehicle was picked up and driven home that day. The next day the vehicle was started and the esp, bake assist sensor (bas), and traction control sensor lights appeared on the dash. Returned vehicle to Dodge dealer to verify that this was not caused by the recall procedure. Dodge dealer checked ABS codes and said the steering angle control /clock spring sensor was defective, and would cost $500 plus to fix. All these components are connected to the ABS system. I just cannot believe that one day after the L01 recall was done, that another component of the ABS system failed.

- Port Orange, FL, USA

Jun 072012

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

June 2012, while driving the vehicle from a restaurant from dinner, the vehicle suffered a power failure which immediately caused the vehicle to power down while driving on the highway. I was forced to make a best attempt to pull over to the side of the road, which was made difficult by the fact that the brakes were powered by the electrical systems as was the steering. I subsequently called a mechanic who came and checked out the minivan but, no work was performed because when the mechanic arrived, the car started and drove perfectly and all of the voltages for the electrical systems tested okay. A month later, after arriving home and parking my car, I noticed that the cooling fan was still operating although the vehicle has been shut off. I then immediately started the car and did every check possible to make sure that I had not left anything on. After checking under the hood and closing the hood itself, the fan shut off on its on.within a matter of weeks, this same problem began repeating itself and would only stop once the battery ran down. I eventually had the fan relay/starter replaced after a mechanic suggested that this was the issue. I have subsequently found that the fan no longer stays on. However, the vehicle continues to either shut down while driving with no apparent cause and I am still experiencing problems with the vehicle's battery draining, although nothing appears to have been left on. The electrical problems have continued to get worse and increasingly dangerous and I have called several Dodge dealerships to speak with mechanics. To generalize, a majority of the mechanics have dealt with other consumers who have experience some or all of the same issues and suggest that the tipm is faulty and that this is a common issue on Chrysler and Dodge minivans of the same year and being that this is the case that they expect to see a recall issued.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

May 212010

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

I have replaced brake pads and rotors 3 times in the last three years and I now have to bring in my van to have brake pads and rotors replaced yet again. Chrysler says they don't have an issue, however they have numerous complaints on the web plus they did one recall where all they did was replace the pads. They would not replace pads on my van since I had already done so. The pads had been replaced once before I purchased the van also. I have about 80,000 miles on my van and this will be the fifth or sixth set of brake pads on this van.

- Isanti, MN, USA

Jun 032010

Grand Caravan

The contact owns a 2008 Dodge Grand Caravan. The contact stated that while driving approximately 70 mph with the brakes engaged, burning fumes were emitted into the cabin and the vehicle started making a loud grinding nosie. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who diagnosed that the front and rear brakes and rotors needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The contact stated that the failure reccurred approximately 8 times in the last 3 years. The manufacturer was contacted and they offered no assistance. The failure mileage was 68,000 and the current mileage was 116,000.

- Cahaffet, MN, USA

Mar 232011

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

Purchased used 2008 Grand Caravan 2/12/10 with 29,695 miles, all four rotors and pads needed to be replaced by 39,471 miles on 03/23/11. Now at 52,500 miles and 10/10/12 all rotors and pads need to be replaced again. Brakes should not wear like this. Dodge is aware of the problem and does nothing.

- San Diego, CA, USA

Jan 102011

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

We purchased vehicle with @ 15K miles in May 2010 - in January 2011 at @ 30K miles we had to replace the brakes and rotors the whole way around. I spoke with 3 mechanics who 1) said rotors at this low mileage was unheard of and 2) this was a known problem with Dodge Grand Caravan. Then, just 3 weeks ago, at 55513 miles, my left front axle / cv joint snapped. From (plenty of) online research, I learned 2 things - 1) this break should not occur in a vehicle so new and 2) all 2008 Chrysler / Dodge vehicles are known for this! in fact there was a recall in 08 for a lot of vehicles (not the Caravan) for just this! when I called Chrysler/Dodge - they first said that this wasn't a part of the powertrain warranty (um, it's an axle!!! attached to the drive shaft) and second - if I was the original owner, it'd be covered, but since I'm not, it wasn't. this was a $500 repair job. 2 weeks later!!!!!!! at @ 56000 miles, I started having front end problems again - back to the garage - this time, I'm surprised with the fact that I need brakes and rotors the whole way around again. And, ABS sensors, a new caliper and brake hoses. New brakes - again"!?!" here comes the online research again... I found a website ( that had 1027!!! entries from 08 Grand Caravan users that have had to repair or replace their brakes and rotors at an average of every 10000 miles - that is not normal!

- Beaver, PA, USA

Feb 222012

Grand Caravan

We have been replacing our brakes every 4 months our mechanic says the braking system for this van was designed too small love the van but will trade in for something more safe we do have 4 children in our van daily and with the brakes wearing out so quickly we don't know when the brakes are gonna go out next...very disappointed there has not been a recall of some sort.

- Roseville, MI, USA

Jan 152010

Grand Caravan

The contact owns a 2008 Dodge Grand Caravan. While driving approximately 25 mph, the vehicle began to shake as the contact was depressing the brake pedal. The contact noticed the brakes would hesitate to respond and there was also a burning smell present. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnostic testing. The technician replaced the front brakes, the hubs, the wheel bearings and the tie rod. After the repairs the contact noticed that the rear brakes would hesitate to respond. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic for diagnostics. The mechanic advised the contact that the brake pads and rotors would have to be replaced due to excessive corrosion and pitting. The vehicle was repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 57,000.

- Brookville, OH, USA

Jul 082012

Grand Caravan

I saved 15,000 dollars not easy wanted to buy my girlfriend a minivan and this is what I got. 4 months later front end started shaking and grinding seriously checked brakes in rear rotors looked shot and brakes were crumbling checked fronts same thing changed them and happened again 4 months later I didn't know buy purchasing this van it would put her and the kids in danger something needs to B done thanks. Also the dealer who sold me this vehicle most likely new of this problem and sold it anyway they should also be held accountable.

- Wilkes Barre , PA, USA