2008 Dodge Grand Caravan brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Dodge Grand Caravan:

2008 Dodge Grand Caravan Owner Comments (Page 4 of 4)

Jun 062011

Grand Caravan

I wanted to register a complaint about the brakes on our 2008 Dodge Grand Caravan. They are not designed properly for the vehicle they are on, as they are having to be replaced every 3,000 - 4,000 miles. Chrysler knows it is an issue, but they will not offer an effective solution. They blame it on our driving style, but that is not correct. We currently own a Ford Taurus which is driven more than the van, and the brakes last 40,000 miles plus. We have owned 10-15 cars in our driving life, and they all have the brakes replaced around 40,000 miles. The Caravan also has to have the rear brakes changed quite often, which typically only happens 1 time in the 100,000 mile life of our other cars. I did a google search for "brake life expectancy", and the third link pulled up was the following forum where many other drivers have complained about the same issue. just wanted to pass along my concerns. Thanks!!

- Corryton, TN, USA

Jul 172009

Grand Caravan

Purchased new 2008 Grand Caravan. Brakes started squealing at 18,000 miles, had dealer check and they said all was ok. At 37,500 miles, brakes failed. Called Dodge dealer who advised that warranty extended by Dodge to 36000 miles had expired. I had brakes rebuilt at local master mechanic, who also found 2 faulty wheel bearings. Cost was over $1,000. I contacted Chrysler Corp who agreed to pay 1/2 of the repair bill. Since then we have had the brakes replaced 2 additional times, calipers stick heating up the wheel constantly. We finally traded in this vehicle 2 weeks ago, our 4th new and last Dodge product. The brakes are underengineered on this vehicle. Ps: the original Dodge dealer told me that Chrysler said if any vans come in under 36,000 mi to repair them at no charge but no recall was issued. The mfg warranty on brakes is 12,000 miles. 37500 miles on original sealed wheel bearings is unacceptable. Also unacceptable is a brake system that cannot be relied on.

- Cheboygan, MI, USA

May 232012

Grand Caravan

The contact owns a 2008 Dodge Grand Caravan. The contact stated that the brakes had to be replaced prematurely. The rear brakes were originally replaced at 41,000 miles. The contact stated that the brakes failed shortly after the replacement due to the rear calibers not releasing. The failure caused the rear rotors and brake pads to wear prematurely. The dealer advised that the parts needed for the repair were on backorder to the issue being widespread for the make and model. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was not available. The failure and the current mileages were 41,000.

- Saginaw, MI, USA

Feb 252012

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

We were driving on the freeway when a strong odor was coming into the vehicle. I pulled off on the next exit ramp to check were the smell was coming from. The back rotor failed (locked up), on the rear drivers side, turning the rotors white hot and causing them to smoke. Drove vehicle home after a half hour and vehicle was fine but this keeps occurring for the next two months every time the vehicle is driven over 15 minutes. Bring vehicle into Dodge dealership and ask why the braking system keeps failing and the told me a tsb has been issued and is a known problem. Dealership stated they are having numerous problems with the brakes on this model. They agreed to replace the front brake pads/rotors for $100 but I had to pay to have the rear brakes/rotors replaced. It is now two weeks later and I am having the same problems with the rear brakes !!!!!!!!!!! I have never experienced so many problems with a vehicle as this vehicle. Five recalls and various other issues with this poc !!!!!!!!!!! there are numerous complaints about the brakes of this vehicle please google and see for yourself. The brakes on this vehicle need to be recalled before someone is killed.....please look into this issue and have the brakes on this vehicle recalled before someone dies !!!!!!!!!!! I have three children and do not feel safe in this vehicle but like most americans I can not afford to purchase another new vehicle !!!!!!!! this is a major safety issue !!!! I have bailed out Dodge twice now and no more.....start protecting the consumer and not corporate America !!!!!!!!!!! thank you !!!!!!!!!!!

- Norwood, MN, USA