2008 Dodge Grand Caravan drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Dodge Grand Caravan:

2008 Dodge Grand Caravan Owner Comments (Page 2 of 3)

May 142014

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

My father has a 2008 Dodge Grand Caravan and on May 14 2014 he went shopping stopping at 3 different places and then returned home picked up the mail and drove to the top of the driveway. He put the van in park and shut it off he got out and walked over to my mom and handed her the paper then he turned around and walked back to the car and reached over the seat to get the rest of the mail when the car started rolling backwards dragging him with it for around 30 feet and then hitting the porch on the house next door. He was pinned underneath the vehicle and my son was home at the time and called 911. The fire department and ambulances came and they had to use air bag pumps and wooden blocks to get the car off of him. He was rushed to the hospital with a crushed leg and cuts to the bone. He had to have surgery on his leg and he was in there for 4 days and then they sent him to a rehab for his injuries. Then he came home after 2 weeks and then 8 days after with the home health nurses checking on him and changing bandages it got a massive infection so he ended back in a different hospital for another surgery this time they removed all of his skin on his leg in the front on the affected areas to the bone and muscle. He now has a phony skin graft on the open holes that are at least a quarter of an inch deep and he has to go to the wound center once a week until further notice and also the home health nurses are now back every other day to keep an eye on it and change bandages my mother is so disgusted no one will listen to her we told the state police who came that day that the car was in park and after rolling back 30 feet was locked in park and would not come out but the steering wheel and tires were still turning. He admitted that yes there is something wrong with this car but that is as for as it went. Also when we called geico we told them the whole story.

- Honesdale, PA, USA

Dec 122012

Grand Caravan

On numerous occasions my 2008 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT will shut down unexpectedly while driving. Plugs, wires and battery have been changed. Win module has been changed at my request and not covered under warranty. The vehicle has been to the dealership numerous times and they have been able to find anything because no codes have been thrown. I replaced the fob recently thinking the key my be worn out but that has not improved the situation. Dodge is aware of the issue but refuse to do anything about it until I guess someone id killed. Thanks Dodge.

- Cedar Hill , MO, USA

Sep 032013

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

I had the win module and the gear shift assembly replaced 11 months ago. Complained and Chrysler refunded the $1200 charge. Currently the car shifts by itself into first or second gear while driving. I called the dealership and they say that is not related to the work listed above! these issues are all inter related and I should not have to pay again to have the car shift properly!

- Clarence Center, NY, USA

Sep 092013

Grand Caravan

I was stopped at my church for a women's banquet when I realized I could not remove my key from the ignition. After about 20 minutes of playing with it, I became frustrated. I then turned it on and tried to put it in reverse so I could leave, and it would not budge. My husband has had to insert a butter knife in the top in order to force it to change gears so we could get it home. We will be getting it looked at tomorrow and hopefully repaired.

- St. Augustine, FL, USA

Aug 242013

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

When my wife was driving on the highway at 70 mph, with my child. The car died. Wife rolled to side of the road and attempted to start it again. The car started and promptly died again but wipers were going at full speed along with the windshield washer fluid pumping out, and the horns and lights turning on and off, she removed the key and it continued. She had already called me and by the time I got there (approx 15 min) it had shut itself off. I tried to restart it with the same problems as mentioned before. I opened the hood and there was a lot of noise coming from the relay box ( tipm ), I unhooked the battery, and the problem "self resolved" fired up car and drove it the 15 miles home. After looking up problem on line, have found that this is a ongoing issue and that the repair part is back ordered nationally, tells me that this is an ongoing issue, Chrysler does know about but has not done anything about it. This is a major safety issue.

- Fulton, MO, USA

Jul 252013

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

Vehicle down shifts hard and shuts off while driving.

- Weyers Cave, VA, USA

Jun 112013

Grand Caravan

The contact owns a 2008 Dodge Grand Caravan. The contact stated that he was unable to remove the key from the ignition and was unable to shift gears. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not contacted about the failure. The failure mileage was 76,648.

- Tayson, AZ, USA

Dec 292011

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

2008 Grand Caravan having dangerous electrical / powertrain problems. Van suddenly loses electrical control. Horn blows, windshield wipers run, washer fluid sprays, doors latch (or fail to unlatch) transmission goes limp. Several other reports of exactly the same issue are listed on this site. According to some posts on the web, there is an update for similar issues on the 2010S. Also, I am finding these same reports on Dodge weblogs for other Dodge vehicles, not just the Grand Caravan. This may be the causing accidents since there are so many reports. <www.jkowners.com/forum/archive/index.php/T-72505.html> <www.faqs.org/car/Dodge-Caravan-2008/power-train/> <www.fixya.com/cars/T11260762-2008_dodge_nitro_winshield_wipers_horn> <www.fixya.com/cars/T6933198-2008_grand_caravan_every_once_in_while>.

- Advance, NC, USA

Aug 132012

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

There is a heater hose assembly leading from the top of the engine to the heater cores in the passenger compartment. A hose comes out of the engine and into a Y-coupling, where it splits into two hoses. One hose leads into the firewall and the front heater core. The second goes under the vehicle to the back heater core. A coolant leak developed in the Y-coupling, leaking coolant onto the exhaust. After leaking for some time, the check engine light came on to indicate low coolant. This appears to be a common problem, as a simple google search turns up many results like this: dodgeforum.com/forum/Dodge-Caravan/275625-2008-grand-Caravan-coolant-leak-3.html either the Y-couplings are defective, or are not designed to handle the stress and heating/cooling cycles inherent in carrying hot coolant.

- Ann Arbor, MI, USA

Sep 102012

Grand Caravan

The contact owns a 2008 Dodge Grand Caravan. The contact stated that the transmission failed. As a result, the transmission shifted hard and the check engine lightilluminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who diagnosed that the transmission needed to be replaced due to the second gear failing. The failure mileage and the current mileage was 37000.

- San Diego, CA, USA

Aug 172012

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

The transmission started slamming into gear when starting the vehicle from a stop (both forward and reverse). According to the technician at the Dodge dealership, there was a significant amount of metal shavings in the transmission oil pan indicating the transmission was grinding itself apart. Two repair options were given - replace the transmission entirely or have it rebuilt at the dealership. Since there was the possibility of more significant damage internally, we opted to have the transmission replaced to ensure safe and reliable operation in the future. The vehicle has less than 50K miles, has not been driven roughly, and is not used for towing or hauling heavy loads. Essentially, there is no reason the transmission should have self-destructed on this vehicle.

- Hobbs, NM, USA

Aug 252012

Grand Caravan

The contact owns a 2008 Dodge Grand Caravan. The contact stated that while turning at an intersection, the vehicle hesitated and stalled without warning. The vehicle was towed to the dealer who performed a diagnostic, which located the failure at the transmission. The transmission would need to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The VIN was not available. The failure and current mileage was 71,000.

- Wilmington , NC, USA

Jan 102011

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

We purchased vehicle with @ 15K miles in May 2010 - in January 2011 at @ 30K miles we had to replace the brakes and rotors the whole way around. I spoke with 3 mechanics who 1) said rotors at this low mileage was unheard of and 2) this was a known problem with Dodge Grand Caravan. Then, just 3 weeks ago, at 55513 miles, my left front axle / cv joint snapped. From (plenty of) online research, I learned 2 things - 1) this break should not occur in a vehicle so new and 2) all 2008 Chrysler / Dodge vehicles are known for this! in fact there was a recall in 08 for a lot of vehicles (not the Caravan) for just this! when I called Chrysler/Dodge - they first said that this wasn't a part of the powertrain warranty (um, it's an axle!!! attached to the drive shaft) and second - if I was the original owner, it'd be covered, but since I'm not, it wasn't. this was a $500 repair job. 2 weeks later!!!!!!! at @ 56000 miles, I started having front end problems again - back to the garage - this time, I'm surprised with the fact that I need brakes and rotors the whole way around again. And, ABS sensors, a new caliper and brake hoses. New brakes - again"!?!" here comes the online research again... I found a website (carcomplaints.com) that had 1027!!! entries from 08 Grand Caravan users that have had to repair or replace their brakes and rotors at an average of every 10000 miles - that is not normal!

- Beaver, PA, USA

May 272012

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

Upon start of vehicle, wipers turned on(switch pos off), washer fluid sprayed(button not pressed), horn sounded (not pressed), could not get it to stop. Started vehicle, continued to do all three, vehicle placed in drive, would not shift out of 1st gear. Shut vehicle off, started again, same things. In days prior to this incident, the vehicle would stall unexpectedly, fortunately while approaching stop sign, or stop light and not on highway, resulted in loss of power steering, and all engine/speed indication. Dodge dealership in valdosta duplicated problems, replaced $500 electrical box. Been two days since repair, no repeats yet.

- Hahira, GA, USA

Sep 192011

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

Driving about 60mph with three kids in car when key switched to off position. Steering hard until I switched the car into neutral and restarted it. The key had done this once before in park and once while driving aprox 20mph on a dirt rd.

- Washington Township, MI, USA

Feb 012011

Grand Caravan

The contact owns a 2008 Dodge Grand Caravan. The contact stated that while driving 40 mph, the vehicle suddenly stalled. Upon restart, the vehicle operated as normal. The dealer advised the contact that they would upgrade the computer; however, they were not sure that this repair would correct the failure. The manufacturer had not been notified. The approximate failure mileage was 70,000 and the current mileage was 90,000.

- High Point, NC, USA

Oct 212010

Grand Caravan

The contact owns a 2008 Dodge Grand Caravan. The vehicle was parked in the residence driveway. When the ignition was started the gear was shifted into park. The contact exited the vehicle and unexpectedly the vehicle began to roll approximately twenty feet at approximately 3 mph, crashing into the front of a garage. There were damages to the front bumper and the garage. There was no personal injury. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired for the failure. The failure mileage was 64,740.

- Clarksville, AR, USA

May 232010

Grand Caravan

2008 Dodge Grand Caravan leased. Gear shift on the dash went from park to N or drive by itself. Key out of the ignition and driver as well.

- Willmar, MN, USA

Feb 142009

Grand Caravan

I bought the car on Nov. 2008, new from mccune Dodge, and for the last year the car has stall on 4 different times, haven't been able to duplicate the problem at the dealer, no sensor light comes on, also have been having different issues with emergency brake pad, the shift gear, interiors light on center-map lights flicker constantly and rear dome.

- Chula Vista, CA, USA

Jun 182009

Grand Caravan

Driving on vacation in St. Louis we were on highway going 65 miles/hour and we heard a rattling sound. Thinking we had a flat tire, we moved toward exit and noticed the engine had died. We coasted to the side of the highway exit. We just bought this brand new vehicle 2 weeks ago!!! after having it towed to service station, we were informed the computer that tells the engine what to do has malfunctioned. We rented a van and drove home to milwaukee. We still don't have our "new" van and now the repair station said they won't get the part for 5 more days! they don't know when they will be able to work on it. When the vehicle is repaired, we will have to drive back to St. Louis with a one-way rental to pick up our new, albeit, dangerous van.

- Franklin, WI, USA