2008 Dodge Grand Caravan electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Dodge Grand Caravan:

2008 Dodge Grand Caravan Owner Comments (Page 31 of 38)

Aug 292014

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

My 18yr son was driving the van at highway speeds (65 mph) when he described a sudden inability to control the vehicle. The steering became hard to control and the brakes here hard to push. He thought the brakes had failed. Due to the inability to control the van he drifted into the passing lane where a car to the rear of him struck his rear quarter panel, causing his van to spin out of control. The vehicle spun and came to rest in the meridian. The police report stated" no evidence of brakes locking up" as there was no skid marks in the road way until the vehicle was leaving the road sideways. The air bags did not deploy. The damage to the vehicle includes substantial front, side and rear panel damage the front and rear tires are out of alignment, exhaust pushed up into rear quarter panel and the force caused the battery to slide out of place. The engine warning lights were all on to include the air bag light. We called Chrysler because we saw the recall on line. Meanwhile 5 days after the accident we received the recall notice in the mail stating it was fine to drive the can until the recall was performed.they sent an investigation team to examine the van and determined the brakes were at fault. However the brakes were new including rotors 2 weeks prior and upon having my own inspection done the brakes were found in working order, no warped rotors or burnt pads that would suggest a brake lock up at 65mph, tires(snow tires as my son was heading to college in northern Maine ) are in good condition with no evidence of flat areas (as one might expect with brakes locking up) we had engine diagnostics checked and found an yaw warning at the time of the accident with no other engine codes noted. All engine lights were lit up at the time of the accident much like what happens when you shut the ignition off while the vehicle is in motion only to reset upon normal restart.

- Dedham , ME, USA

Sep 182013

Grand Caravan

TL-the contact owns a 2008 Dodge Caravan. The contact stated the vehicle hesitated to start, but after several attempts the vehicle started. The failure recurred numerous times. Also while driving approximately 60 mph, the air condition and the windows failed to operate. The vehicle was taken to dealer for diagnostic testing. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign id number: 11V139000 (electrical system), but the vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 50,000.

- Chandler, AZ, USA

Oct 042014

Grand Caravan

Driving on the thruway with my family the van stalled twice without warning, although it would restart immediately and luckily there wasn't so much traffic. Have been having issues with dashboard lights(emergency brake, esp/bas, ABS & traction) coming on every time I turn on the van and start driving. The sliding doors either open by themselves or don't want to close, I have to repeatedly push the buttons to get it to close and also at times the door stops halfway and starts clicking. I had previously taken the van to a Dodge dealer where they "fixed" the door problem, but after some time it again began with the same problem. My transmission constantly keeps shifting to 6th gear so I either have to turn off the van or shift down the gear to D in order to open or close the doors. The ignition key has been getting stuck on acc and doesn't want to come out. This is a very serious situation that needs to be addressed asap, before someone looses their life! the manufacturer needs to take action and make the necessary measures and precautions to protect the lives of consumers, not just the ones that are driving these unsafe vehicles but as well as those that are around us!!! (for many of us, this is our only transportation to get to and from work or like myself drive the kids to school and activities).

- Bridgeport, CT, USA

May 172014

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

Van began making loud, grinding noise. Noise seemed louder when steering more to the right. On visit to dealership for ignition recall issue, they looked at where noise was coming from - since they heard it when they drove van back to the service area. They said it was a wheel bearing / hub on right front. Dealership said van was not safe to drive. It could cause an accident. It was a safety issue. Is this a safety issue enough to be a recall issue?

- Farmington, NM, USA

Sep 282014

Grand Caravan

The contact owns a 2008 Dodge Caravan. The contact stated that while parked in a driveway, the horn, door locks, windshield wipers and fluid started operating independently. The contact mentioned that the battery had to be disconnected in order to stop the failure. The problem recurred several times. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic. The technician diagnosed that the tipm module needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 95,900.

- Sewell, NJ, USA

Sep 162014

Grand Caravan

The contact owns a 2008 Dodge Grand Caravan. The contact received a notification for recall NHTSA campaign number: 14V373000 (electrical system). The contact stated that the part needed to remedy the vehicle was unavailable. The manufacturer was not made aware of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Whiteville, NC, USA

Sep 192014

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

I received a safety recall notice in the mail regarding recall L25, I took it to dealer they ordered parts for it supposedly. Service center at Dodge advised me that the main problem I am having is not related to the recall therefore labor/parts/car rental will not be covered. (I spoke w a rep at Chrysler group recall assistance center who told me there are still no parts for it) rep at recall said to just pay for whatever is not covered and it would still be reimbursed. Who am I supposed to believe I am not trying to get scammed out of a cpl grand. I am having problems w the fobik getting stuck in the acc position, I was waiting up to 5 minutes for it to click, to get my key back. Now it is not coming out at all. I have to risk leaving the key in the ignition to possibly get the car stolen and the battery to die. I need a real resolution asap.

- Hemet, CA, USA

Sep 302014

Grand Caravan

The contact owns a 2008 Dodge Grand Caravan. While driving approximately 25 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning. The failure occurred twice. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The contact received a recall notification for NHTSA campaign number: 11V139000 (electrical system); however, the part needed for the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 100,000.

- Scott Air Force Base, IL, USA

Oct 012014

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

My lights, wipers, horn and dash lights come on by themselves and stay on for several minutes. I turn off the key and the engine keeps running. I had to pull a relay out of the totally integrated power module to shut everything off. I tried getting a fault code but nothing comes up. I have read several articles about this and every one is the same. Apparently the problem resides in the totally integrated power module and Chrysler will not do anything about it. This is a big safety issue trying to drive at night. I have to pull over, stop the van and reset everything as I described before.

- Crestview, FL, USA

Jul 012014

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

Serious safety issue. My van starts on its own. The horn blares and won't stop. Wipers come on and the engine won't stop. Does this without a key in the ignition. When driving you lose complete control of the transmission and the engine will not turn off. Dodge needs to do a recall and something needs to be done. I'm afraid to park in the garage because it starts on its own. I'm worried the carbon monoxide will asphyxiate my family. I've called the Dodge main headquarters and they play dumb like they never heard of this happening. I found thousands of complaints online. It's in the Dodge dealer right now. Hoping to fix the issue. They don't know what the problem is. The actual problem is called a bad tipm (totally integrated power module).

- South Jordan, UT, USA

Sep 182014

Grand Caravan

The contact owns a 2008 Dodge Grand Caravan. The contact received a recall notification for NHTSA campaign number: 14V373000 (electrical system); however, the part needed to remedy the recall was unavailable. The manufacturer was not made aware of the issue. The VIN was unknown. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Washington Court House , OH, USA

Sep 152013

Grand Caravan

The contact owns a 2008 Dodge Grand Caravan. The contact stated that the ignition key intermittently seized in the ignition. The problem has recurred numerous times. The dealer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 100,000.

- South Milwaukee, WI, USA

Aug 082014

Grand Caravan

When I stop the van, put it in park & shut it off, the key is stuck in the acc position and will not move to the off position. In order to get the key to release, I have to start the car multiple times, move the shift in & out of park, move the steering wheel and eventually I will hear a "clicking" noise and the key releases and will then move into the off position. I contacted Chrysler and asked if this could have anything to do with the current recall for the ignition switch and was told no. Has anybody else experienced this problem?

- Kent, OH, USA

Aug 162008

Grand Caravan

We bought this van new in April of 2008 and in August 2008 and with 16,000 miles I had to replace the brake rotors pads and one caliper. Then two months later I had to replace the rear brakes which included the rotors, pads, and calipers. In late 2009 I have to replace both front and back brake systems do to failure. Now it is September of 2014 and after replacing the brakes on both front and back axles 5 times there needing to be replaced again. I have taken the van to our local Dodge dealer and was told it's just hard driving. I had to replace the rear evaporator at 89,000 along with rubber heater lines that you can only buy as a set at over $120. Now the right rear door can only be opened from the inside and the door locks only work sometimes. Went out 09-17-14 to move the van to my garage to work on it and all of the lights went out and the horn went off along with the wipers and wiper fluid pump. How long before someone is killed before they fix these issues. This is my last Chrysler product after owning 5 good ones. This is do to there inability or negligence in fixing these problems.

- Trivoli, IL, USA

Mar 262014

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

Van would not start at times or would stall out at times while driving and lose all power and brakes when we hit door open button it would open half way while my kids would be getting out then shut on them. Van now won't start at all got towed and the diagnostic came back the win module is cause of failure(wireless ignition module).

- Munhall, PA, USA

Aug 012014

Grand Caravan

The contact owns a 2008 Dodge Grand Caravan. The contact stated that while driving at 45 mph, the vehicle decelerated. The failure occurred on several occasions. The contact received a notification of NHTSA campaign number: 14V373000 (electrical system). The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 110,000.

- Fairfax, VA, USA

Sep 142014

Grand Caravan

The contact owns a 2008 Dodge Grand Caravan. The contact received NHTSA campaign number: 14V373000(electrical system). The contact stated that the part was unavailable. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The contact did not experience a failure.

- Mineral Point, MO, USA

Aug 012014

Grand Caravan

The contact owns a 2008 Dodge Grand Caravan. The contact stated that the vehicle failed to start. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic, but the technician was unable to diagnose the cause of the failure. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 68,000.

- San Tan Valley , AZ, USA

Mar 212012

Grand Caravan

The contact owns a 2008 Dodge Grand Caravan. The contact stated that while driving at 45 mph, the vehicle decelerated without warning. The contact stated that the vehicle stalled and was able to restart. The failure occurred on several occasions. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and stated that the VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 11V139000 (electrical system). The failure mileage was not available.

- Chandler, AZ, USA

Sep 012013

Grand Caravan

The contact owns a 2008 Dodge Grand Caravan. The contact stated that while parked, the horn and the windshield wiper motor activated independently. As a result, the battery needed to be disconnected. In addition, the contact stated that the A/C failed to activate and the doors failed to latch. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where the failure was unable to be replicated. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 80,000.

- Aplington, IA, USA