2008 Dodge Grand Caravan electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Dodge Grand Caravan:

2008 Dodge Grand Caravan Owner Comments (Page 33 of 38)

May 212014

Grand Caravan

The contact owns a 2008 Dodge Grand Caravan. The contact stated while driving 40 mph the vehicle stalled without warning. The vehicle was towed to the dealer for inspection where they stated that the win, tipm, and the PCM modules needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The VIN was unavailable. The failure mileage was 60,100. Updated 08/14/14

- Chesapeak, VA, USA

Jul 022012

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

This problem has been intermittent and getting worse. Sometimes it happens when we' driving and sometimes when it's parked with the engine off. The engine dies, horns blow, wipers go crazy and lights go on. All you can do is coast to a safe spot, wait for a while, then restart the van.today as my husband drove to work, the power brakes went out. He was able to stop but it was very hard and dangerous. I don't know if it's related but we have had a problem with the blower for the air conditioner/ heater going out since about 2010. Updated 07/03/14 MA updated 07/11/2014

- Warren, MI, USA

May 292014

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

Car's engine automatically turned off while driving on road. Lost all power.

- Hyattsville, MD, USA

Aug 042012

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

Purchased this vehicle 6/30/2012 1st incident 8/2012 driving down highway at 65 mph at night in wooded area so it was pitch black and headlights shut off, wipers running and spraying fluid, horn started blaring, outside lights went crazy, gauges went nuts, and power steering went out. Pulled over when we were able (two lane road w/no shoulders) and after a few minutes went back to normal and ran just fine. The second time it happened was in 10/2012 basically same thing was returning from son's football game on a Friday night at midnight and headlights went out, wipers going crazy, and horn blaring, lights going off. Didn't do it again for awhile then since 3/2013 about every 2 to 3 weeks we have this same issue, van can be sitting in drive and still does it. I have had my children in the car on numerous occasions when this has happened and it scares us all to death. We have almost been hit from behind on more than one of these occasions when power steering went out while making a turn, (it slowed the vehicle down to manually turn it) which I could barely do, and almost received a ticket for faulty equipment due to the brake and reverse lights going off on their own (cop gave me a warning this time) after looking up the issue and talking to a mechanic it is a faulty tipm (totally integrated power module), which by the way has been on "backorder" for more than 18 months cause I've been calling on it since 10/2012. I have researched and apparently this is an ongoing issue with this vehicle, there are over 200 of the 420 complaints on this site about this very issue and thousands more online, yet there has not even been an investigation? I guess the NHTSA is not as concerned about safety as they claim to be! there needs to be a recall done for this model and the years affected for the faulty part that's going to end up with someone seriously injured or dead!

- Fruitvale, TX, USA

May 262014

Grand Caravan

The contact owns a 2008 Dodge Grand Caravan. The contact stated while driving approximately 55 mph, the contact attempted to close the driver's window when it became stuck and smoke started to emit inside of the vehicle. The entire instrument panel illuminated, the windshield wiper activated, and the two front windows opened independently. The contact who was a certified mechanic and inspected the vehicle. The contact found the wiring harness had broken wires. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the defect. The approximate failure mileage was 43,000.

- Daggett, MI, USA

May 262014

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

As I was driving home from the store this morning, I was taking a turn onto my street when the engine shut off and I lost power steering and brakes. I was barely able to muscle the steering wheel to complete the rest of the turn and avoid hitting another car that was turning to go the way that I was coming from. The lady in the other car was looking at me in fear with her arms raised like "what are you doing!?" I tried to turn the engine on several times with no luck as I coasted down my street forcefully pumping the brakes to slow down and stop in front of my house. Once I took the key out of the ignition and tried to restart the engine, it started. I did some research on the internet and this seems to be a problem with other models as well. There is even a recall on Dodge Grand Caravan that were manufactured from 3 August 2009 to 17 June 2010 for this exact problem. I have read on this website and many others that this issue exists outside these dates though and that the Dodge company is not doing anything. I have not consulted with my dealership yet but I am hopeful because they seem to be great people. Whatever the case, I do not feel safe having my wife drive my children around. I do not feel as if she would be able to muscle the steering wheel without power steering during a turn in the event that the car turned off in the middle of a turn as it did to me. This is a huge safety issue and there should be a recall issued to encompass all the years that are affected and not just the ones where people have been killed.

- Lake Stevens, WA, USA

Apr 162014

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

On occasion the vehicle will set of a signal alarm and display esp bas brake ABS and the esp symbol will illuminate - also the panel lights will flicker. I will also feel a very slight hesitation on my forward motion. It does not always happen - but always while vehicle was just starting to heat up.

- Greenacres, FL, USA

Apr 102014

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

08 Dodge Grand Caravan switched off while driving with my 3 & 4 year old children in the car - vehicle then began to read bad key error. Was informed by Dodge dealership that vehicle has bad win module. Dodge not willing to replace - this part has been recalled on multiple Chrysler and Jeep vehicles showing this to be an inherently defective part, and should be recalled on all vehicles containing faulty win modules. Dodge will be charging me approximately $850 to replace. The win module is a device that sends electronic signal to the engine to let car know appropriate key is being used (security device), not a wearable part. This situation could have been much worse or even life threatening had device failed on highway. Dodge should do the right thing and replace.

- Boynton Beach, FL, USA

Dec 032012

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

I was driving about 5 mph leaving my place of work and the vehicle stalled as I was driving it and I lost power steering and power brakes-very scary-fortunately I was just leaving work and not driving too fast. I was able restart it and drove home without another issue. Then a couple weeks later, the vehicle did the same thing. I was going about 10 mph when the vehicle stalled again-no power steering or brakes-very scary!- the vehicle has also failed to turn over for no apparent reason-this has happened at least 3-4 times, I will go to start it -it seems dead-but then I wait a minute and then restart-and it turns over no problem-no rhyme or reason as to why these things occur.

- Upton , MA, USA

Dec 122012

Grand Caravan

On numerous occasions my 2008 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT will shut down unexpectedly while driving. Plugs, wires and battery have been changed. Win module has been changed at my request and not covered under warranty. The vehicle has been to the dealership numerous times and they have been able to find anything because no codes have been thrown. I replaced the fob recently thinking the key my be worn out but that has not improved the situation. Dodge is aware of the issue but refuse to do anything about it until I guess someone id killed. Thanks Dodge.

- Cedar Hill , MO, USA

Mar 162012

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

The engine died and would not turn back on while driving. Suspect this is due to faulty ignition win control module or ignition system. Nearly caused a crash. Was able to slow down (lost brakes, and power steering) and pull to side of the road avoiding being hit by other cars. Tried starting the vehicle several times it then started again. ( took to dealership and they changed out our fob/key thing. And seemed to fix the issue. Most recently 3/12/14 parked, attempted to restart vehicle 10 min later and the key will not turn over the engine.(plastic fob type key) no starter noise. ( lights work, key in ignition warning ding occurs. Lights turn on but no radio, or engine start. Will not restart now.

- Vernal, UT, USA

Mar 052014

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

I opened the driver side manual sliding door and then the horn started to blow constantly, the front and rear windshield wipers turned on, the hazard lights flashed, the reverse lights were on, the instrument panel had many warning lights on including a red dot on the bottom. I tried to hit my car alarm button to see if it would make it stop and it didn't. I closed the door as my son ran into the house and then all the doors locked. I had to use the valet key to open the door. I then pulled the hood release and opened the hood. The radiator fan was also on. I disconnected the battery so the horn would stop blowing. I waited about 20 minutes and went back outside and reconnected the battery and it did the same thing again. This time I tried starting the car and it started however it would not allow me to put it into gear. I tried to turn the engine off but it would not let me. I got out and then I removed the fuses to the horn so the noise would not disturb me or the neighbors. A few minutes later I got back into the car and it let me put it in reverse so I pulled the van out of our garage and into the driveway but the power steering did not work. I tried again to turn the engine off but it would not stop. I even moved the key to the off position and removed the key from the ignition and the engine continued to run. I disconnected the battery again but the engine continued to run as did the wipers and hazard lights. After about 10 minutes the engine finally shut off. This same type of incident happened before to us in 2012. See videos I took with my cell phone here youtu.be/yofejj5hfz8 youtu.be/H0ufsviu0ve youtu.be/jewqwffz73G youtu.be/P1N1cwqivy0.

- Brunswick, GA, USA

Jan 272014

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

Twice during 2013, I had an issue with my 2008 Dodge Grand Caravan. With no warning and no apparent triggering mechanism, the van?S horn would begin a constant blaring and the front and rear windshield wipers would go back and forth. When this happened, the transmission would not downshift. The incidents lasted only a couple of minutes each time. Both times, I took the van to the local Chrysler service center and was told that they could not address the problem because they could not replicate the issue. On January 27, 2014, after remotely opening the sliding door but before starting the car (I was still in the house), the minivan?S horn began a constant blaring, and the front and back windshield wipers came on. After a few minutes when it became apparent it would not stop on its own this time, I disconnected the battery terminals, but nothing changed. After 30 minutes, I drove the van to the local Chrysler service center. During the 15 minute drive, the car would not downshift at all. When I arrived at the service center, the mechanic disconnected the fuse (or possibly the tipm) to stop the car?S horn and wipers. After a mechanic inspected the minivan, the service manager informed me that the tipm was bad and would have to be replaced. I paid the entire cost of $818 ($610 for the tipm and $208 for labor).

- Stroudsburg, PA, USA

Aug 052013

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

Please see the link of people with the same type of issues. Battery loses voltage. New tipm, battery 4 times, alternator, clock spring, rear hatch micro-switch. Have had it into the dealer with no results, same as the other complaints. Something is causing the batteries to go dead and no-one can help with it. I have about $2000 into it so far. Somebody(Chrysler) needs to address this problem. Please help.... see the attached link. community.cartalk.com/discussion/2287376/2008-Dodge-grand-Caravan-intermittent-starting-problem.

- Tecumseh, MI, USA

Nov 022013

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

The first time it happened was about November 2 and then again on November 23. One the first occurrence I went to open my door and the horn and wipers and wiper fluid started going off. I jump in my ride with the keys in my hand and the van locked me in I was unable to get out and fluid was going all over my garage. Finally the van let me out and we had to pull the battery to get it to stop. It had to sit all day before it would not do those things. Then yesterday I went to walmart and heard an announcement that a vehicle was going crazy in the parking lot. Of course it was mine, I once again had to pull the battery to get it to stop. After a few hours we just pulled all the fuses so that we could get it home. Also for many years now the traction control and brake lights come on in the winter and it starts very funny in the winter. I have read online that this is happening to many many people and it is happening as it is going down the road. I am at this point afraid to drive my van so I am not sure what to do I owe money on this thing. I have taken it to the dealer many times and there are no codes coming up so they said it would probably be like $1000 just for them to figure out what is wrong. There is pages upon pages of people complaining about this, why has Dodge not done a recall are they waiting for someone to get hurt?

- Roscommon, MI, USA

Sep 022013

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

The entire electrical system went haywire. Also note this was at night. Headlights and brights flashing/flickering. Horn blasting. Wipers on full speed (front and rear). Wiper washers spraying (front and rear) interior lights flashing, dash lights flashing...it was scary! please help us to fix.

- Orlando, FL, USA

Jan 152013

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

When driving down the road the lights on the dash board will come on flashing for no apparent reason. While driving on the road or highway also the van will die without any warning. And will slow down with no control, the lights all go dark specially dangerous when it happens while I am on the highway. It does not happen all the time. Or a consist manner. You call the dealership they will admit that it is a issue but they have the monopoly on repairs so you have to go to the dealer to get it fix.

- St Louis, MO, USA

Oct 252013

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

I was driving down the highway and my vehicle headlights turned off as well as the engine. The windshield wipers turned on high even though they were in the off position. The car horn was engaged and I had no control over the function of the systems. I was able to start the car but the light would not come on etc. Even with the key removed and the exiting the wipers, horn, hazard lights still were engaged. The car started to spray windshield wiper fluid as well. The locks would unlock and lock as well. Eventually approximately 10 minutes it stopped. I was able to stared the car and moved it to a safe location. I took video of the incident. I am highly concerned as this seems to be a recurring problem based on my research and there definitely could have be a fatality last night!

- Ellicott City, MD, USA

Sep 182013

Grand Caravan

While driving at 15 mph the windshield wipers, the radio and all the dashboard lights came on. The lights kept blinking on and off. No idea why.

- Raleigh, NC, USA

Sep 192013

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

Our van was parked outside our house (after being driven 6 miles & sitting for 10 minutes) & I started hearing the horn trying to make a honking sound, went outside & noticed the lights flickering, the wipers going at top speed w/washer fluid spraying, & the horn was trying to honk. I tried pushing the unlock button on my key fob & nothing happened. I was able to unlock the door with the key but entering & opening all the doors did nothing. I tried starting the van & it wouldn't stay on. The horn eventually went on at full force & a solid sound. We had to disconnect the battery for it to stop.

- Monee, IL, USA