2008 Dodge Grand Caravan electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Dodge Grand Caravan:

2008 Dodge Grand Caravan Owner Comments (Page 34 of 38)

Aug 242013

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

When my wife was driving on the highway at 70 mph, with my child. The car died. Wife rolled to side of the road and attempted to start it again. The car started and promptly died again but wipers were going at full speed along with the windshield washer fluid pumping out, and the horns and lights turning on and off, she removed the key and it continued. She had already called me and by the time I got there (approx 15 min) it had shut itself off. I tried to restart it with the same problems as mentioned before. I opened the hood and there was a lot of noise coming from the relay box ( tipm ), I unhooked the battery, and the problem "self resolved" fired up car and drove it the 15 miles home. After looking up problem on line, have found that this is a ongoing issue and that the repair part is back ordered nationally, tells me that this is an ongoing issue, Chrysler does know about but has not done anything about it. This is a major safety issue.

- Fulton, MO, USA

Jun 082013

Grand Caravan

My wife and I were driving down the road, when the van started to lock and unlock the doors. The next time this happened my three kids were in the van and it was 85 degrees out and the only way we got in was to talk my son into trying to unbuckle his car seat.we have also had a problem with the ac not working witch is great when it is soo humid out. The doors still continue to lock and unlock by themselves at least once a week.

- Eden Valley, MN, USA

Aug 132013

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

I was driving to work on Tuesday August 13, 2013 doing about 60mph, suddenly my windshield wipers came on, the horn started blaring, dashboard gauges stopped working (then started going crazy) and the engine turned off. I was able to pull over to the side of the road, I turned off the ignition removed the key but the nothing in the van would not turn off. The wipers were on, the horn was blaring and the dash gauges were still going crazy. This continued for about 6 to 8 minutes before everything just stopped. After about 3 minutes I was able to start the van and continue to work without issue. I called the dealership and told them the problem (it was in that shop for similar problem 2 weeks earlier) I dropped it off at the dealer the same day and as of today they it is still there (they cannot duplicate the problem?..) I've researched the problem online and I am apparently 1 of hundreds with the same issue with 2008 Grand Caravan. It is a faulty tipm module.

- Severna Park, MD, USA

Jun 042012

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

Going high speed, engine suddenly stops, all lights on dash light up, power steering does not function. This happened (3) times last year. I was fortunate enough to be able to pull over on the pa turnpike but was in danger of being hit as I was traveling in the left lane. Car would not restart. Waited 20 minutes and car did initially restart. However, when it restarted, once driven, it would not shift gears--it was stuck in 1st. (automatic transmission) pulled over again. Waited 10 minutes, started driving, and car functioned but "check engine light" was on. Car was taken to dealer immediately. They initially blamed the fob, which I replaced. When this incident happened again a few months later, it was again taken to dealer and since they could not replicate the problem, they said they could not fix it. In July of this year, started this behavior again but now would not restart after the engine cut off. (again traveling high speed) then the engine cut off a day later while only going 40 miles an hour. Took car to the dealer again and they changed the win module. (but tell me that all three electrical system are registering errors) I paid to replace win module, had car for 1 week, went to start it and there was no response. Had car towed to dealership. Replaced starter relay. Picked car up on a Wednesday and on Thursday, engine shut down on me while doing 20 mph. Again, would not restart. Car currently at dealership but they claim they have no idea what's wrong. This is a hazard!! I feel I am going to die in this car because someone is going to run into me at high speed when I don't have a engine to get out of the way. My young kids are constantly in this car. Dealership throws up their hands and says "I don't know or care if you die in this vehicle we simply can't fix the problem" I am still paying this car off and can't afford another car!

- Hatfield, PA, USA

Aug 022013

Grand Caravan

The back passenger sliding door keeps opening and closing on it's own. The key fobs can be nowhere on our person and the door continually does this, even when locked. I have seen this complaint numerous times online. Something needs to be done. Our dog got into the van when the door was open and the door closed trapping her in there. Thank goodness my husband saw her and got her out before she died of heat exhaustion. If that had been a child, it could have had a very tragic ending. Please use whatever pull you have to make Dodge fix this problem before someone is hurt, maimed or killed!! thank you.

- Carthage, MO, USA

Jul 012011

Grand Caravan

Report receipt date: June 03, 2010 NHTSA campaign number: 10V235000 component(s): Electrical system my vehicle doesn't have the code so its not included in thisrecall...not right.all my wires have ripped apart and half my electrical no longer should be responsible for this no question about it..I can smell burning need to include this..refuse to buy another Dodge this company doesn't back up their problems occurring with factory made issues...I will not pay out of pocket that you should be liable for......

- Port Huron, MI, USA

Sep 032012

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

My vehicles windshield wipers will automatically come on and the instrument panel will flash or go to zero while operating the van. My van has also stalled while driving at low speeds. This happens anywhere from a few times a week to severals times a day. I've had the dealer look at my vehicle and a non -dealer mechanic and neither can find a problem. I have researched on the internet and found thousands of people with the same complaint. I am afraid sometimes that my vehicle will stall while crossing a busy intersection and cause an accident.

- Lake Charles, LA, USA

Jun 112013

Grand Caravan

The contact owns a 2008 Dodge Grand Caravan. The contact stated that he was unable to remove the key from the ignition and was unable to shift gears. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not contacted about the failure. The failure mileage was 76,648.

- Tayson, AZ, USA

Jun 062013

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

I was driving home last night going about 55mph. Suddenly my windshield wipers can on, the horn started blaring, & my gauges quit working. I was able to pull over to the side of the road, I turned the ignition off & took the key out but my van did not turn off. The wipers & horn blaring continued for 3-4 minutes before everything shut off. I was able to restart the van & continue my drive home without issue. This morning I called my local dealership & my van can not be looked at until next week. I've researched online & I am apparently 1 of hundreds who have had this issue with 08 Grand Caravan. Why is there not a recall?

- Milan, IL, USA

May 292013

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

The first incident happened on 5/29/13 while my van was parked in my driveway. My vans lights flashed, the horn went crazy, the windshield wipers were going on their own. The car was not started and no key in the ignition. It was sitting there. This lasted about 8 minutes. I went to advanced auto after it stopped and had them check it with the machine. They told me it could be a battery problem but the code machine said the problem was caused by a power surge from a relay. He could not be sure which issue was causing the problem or what relay would do this. I bought a new battery in hopes that would resolve the problem. On 5/30/13 I got home from work and pulled in my driveway. My son asked to borrow my car to go to a friends house. He made it to the end of the road and the horn started beeping, windshield wipers started going, lights started flashing and the van began to accelerate. My son said he turned the key to the off position and removed the key from the ignition. The car continued to run without the key. This lasted for 10 minutes. The van is now parked because I researched the symptoms and came across hundreds if not thousands of the same complains lots of them recent. They all said it was the total ignition power module. I am very confused as to why Dodge knows of this problem and has not recalled the vehicles before someone's life is lost. There are so many complaints and the severity of safety at hand over a defective part. I will never buy another Dodge again. How can I do business with a company that cares so little for human life. What if I was driving with my 5 children and this caused an accident. What if this hurt or even killed one of them.

- Lehigh Acres, FL, USA

Mar 012013

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

Vehicle intermittently has electrical problems. The problems vary in severity. When problems occur there are various symtoms that include instrument cluster not working, windshield wipers operating without being turned on, headlights become inoperative, heat and ac become inoperative, doors lock and cannot be overridden even manually. When problems occur that can last for a few seconds and multiple times or sometimes a continuous for several minutes.

- West Bend, WI, USA

May 282013

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

After accelerating from a stop light to a speed of approximately to 40 mph, the electronic stability control light illuminated on the dash board. The vehicle lost acceleration power and would not go over 20 mph. After loss of power, driver noticed power steering and brakes were inoperable. Driver was able to turn off busy road without incident and glided to a stop. Driver turned off vehicle and restarted. After restarting vehicle, it appeared to operate normal. Vehicle was driven to dealer immediately for diagnosis and repair.

- Woodridge, IL, USA

May 102012

Grand Caravan

2008 Dodge Grand Caravan. Passenger side front and rear doors power unlock problem. I have a 2008 Dodge Grand Caravan stx. It has power windows and locks and power sliding doors. 3.8L engine. The passenger front door lock, right passenger sliding door lock will lock when the button is pressed, but will not unlock when the button is pressed. This happens no matter which door unlock button you press (driver, passenger or key fob). I have traced the wiring no power when 'unlock' is pressed, but there is power when the 'lock' button is pressed. Also, I tested the passenger sliding door, again same result. I took off the passenger front door panel and unplugged the door lock connector at the solenoid and tested it. Again, no power when 'unlock' is pressed on any of the wires. The black wire on the connector is getting good ground. I traced the wires from the lock solenoid connector under the seats and to the drivers kick panel where they go through a grommet and into the fuse box under the hood. I probed the wires again by the kick panel and got no power when 'unlock' was pressed. I hear a relay clicking in the fuse box when I press 'unlock', but I can't find it. It is coming from within the fuse box under all the fuses and relays. Those relays are located in the fuse boxes inner part, and probably low quality, so they are gone in just few years of usage. Unfortunately, relays can't be replaced by owners due to location and connections.

- Atlanta, GA, USA

Jan 142013

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

The first incident occurred while care was sitting in the driveway, no key in it. Horn started going wipers and wiper fluid started going full speed, and lights started flashing, door locks engaged and could not be stopped by key fob. This continued for about 10 minutes. I had to pull the fuses and disconnect the battery to get it to stop. Took the car to dealership twice who stated there is nothing wrong with the van. The van continues to do this intermittently. Most recent incident driving down the highway 60 mph with children in the car when all the previous symptoms started to occur and gauges would drop to zero and then back up over and over again. All lights went out at this time and transmission began malfunctioning. I was barely able to pull the car off to the side of the road where it continued to do this for 15 minutes. The third time I took it in they reported it was my tipm and want over $1100 to replace it. I called Dodge customer service and explained the issue hoping they would fix it without cost to me or offer some solution. Their rep was very rude and told me to try what the dealership suggested. I expressed how it is a design/manufacturing flaw and got the reply, "well MA'am, there is no recall on this so there is nothing we can do". I informed him I would never buy another Dodge/Chrysler vehicle and received the reply "ok, have a good day". he then hung up on me. This is a serious safety issue and after reading many forums have realized I am not the only one experiencing this issue...Dodge needs to be held accountable!

- Waianae, HI, USA

Mar 222013

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

This incident has happened 3 other times in the past. The first incident at about 5,000 miles and the second incident at 22,000 and a third incident at about 45,000. This last incident occurred on the highway traveling at about 67 mph. The headlamps turn off and the horn blares constant. The windshield wipers go at full speed (front and back) and the fluid is spraying everywhere. The doorlocks begin to flicker in the open and lock position. The brake lights are also shut off but the reverse lights are lit up. The tachometer and speedometer go to zero. You can maneuver the vehicle to the side of the road and try to shut off the vehicle, but to your surprise the vehicle doesn't shut off. It keeps running! so as you are sitting there wondering what to do and unlock your door manually and then you have to unhook the battery and somehow that works. If you are lucky when you connect the battery back in the system goes back to normal. If your unlucky the horn and windshield wipers are still going strong along with all the other issues. Either way this system malfunction is being reported all over the internet and Dodge hasn't responded. They are reporting a tipm (total ignition power module) apparently the part is in such demand that you cannot order because they are backordered up to 800 units.

- Normal, IL, USA

Mar 102013

Grand Caravan

At random times the horn, flashers, and wipers will turn on.this has happened while driving the vehicle and has happened when the vehicle was turned off, without anyone inside the van. Disconnecting the battery has been the way to stop the problem. Dealer could not find anything wrong and guessed that it was the tipm. This has occurred on numerous occasions and does seam to be a safety issue when the vehicle is in operation. Obviously from the number of complaints that I have seen, NHTSA should investigate and Chrysler needs to do a recall.

- Stone Mountain, GA, USA

Feb 222013

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

Turned on ignition and while driving down the road the warning lights all flash on and all gauges go to 0 and wipers are going as well, with the wipers turned off..also the front windows don't go up or down..

- Harpursville , NY, USA

Aug 082012

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

After shutting vehicle off the headlights, interior lights, or parking lights will stay on indefinitely, resulting in draining the battery to zero. The only solution is to disconnect the battery for ten minutes. Dealer could not diagnose problem.

- Macedon, NY, USA

Feb 152013

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

I was sitting in a parking lot with the van idling. All of a sudden the horn started blaring, hazards started flashing, wipers (front & back) were going at full speed. This went on for roughly 3 minutes (felt like a half hour). I tried everything to stop it, but nothing worked. I took the key out of the ignition, but the engine kept running. This happened twice (same scenario) in a span of 10 minutes. This is absurd, and I have read many complaints on this issue.

- Cantonment, FL, USA

Dec 182012

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

I am experiencing electrical problems with the 2008 Grand Caravan. The van cuts off while moving. The lights blink. The radio suddenly turns on. Sometimes the doors will not unlock. The problems all appear to be related to the computer malfunctioning in the van. The may cause an accident if the van loses power and control while driving.

- Advance, NC, USA