2008 Dodge Grand Caravan electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Dodge Grand Caravan:

2008 Dodge Grand Caravan Owner Comments (Page 38 of 38)

Aug 042010

Grand Caravan

2008 gr. Caravan - electrical/computer issue. Events - nothing consistent (so far) symptoms: Intermittent issue, not able to recreate. W/ or w/O key in ignition, horn will blare, dummy lights appear, wipers (frnt/back) turn on, fluid squirts, no A/C fan (frnt only). Will stop after several minutes, normally. Remove battery cbl and wait, seems to allow reset. Next time start van, engine light (no codes found). Will go off after 2 drive cycles. Sometimes transmission will not shift out of 1st gear. Turn off and restart, seems to resolve that issue. Owned van 8 weeks, this has occurred 5 times spread out over that period. Two instances of 5, the ABS system initiated while driving (same other symptoms w/horn wiper at the same time, seem to be related). Caused unexpected driving behavior when that occurred (brakes kicked in automatically and transmission tried to downshift). Diagnosis: Dealer has replaced horns, since they burned out (no tools to pull battery cabl). Searched codes (none stored). Says, I have to bring it in when I'm experiencing issue:( started in June '10 and has occurred sporadically since. Last incident 8/4/10. Occurred multiple times..

- Cedar Falls, IA, USA

Jul 032010

Grand Caravan

I have had problems with the power doors reopening themselves on this van. I have had items get trapped inside of the doors of this van as well. I contacted the dealer about it and of course could not get it to duplicate the problem. I had also said something about problems with the accelerator being sluggish in response and the dealer said they couldn't get it to duplicate that problem either. They said it was just the computer taking a little longer to respond to the accelerator which I feel is a safety hazard. I have also had problems with the overhead console coming down when the rear door is shut. I did not realize it had come down one time and I climbed into the back area and hit my head on the plastic part which caused a severe cut to my head and took a while for the bleeding to stop. I showed the dealer the problem and they said oh that's a plastic piece so if you want that to be right you have to pay yourself to have it fixed because its considered "normal wear". I feel that these are all severe safety issues with these vehicles.

- Fredericksburg, VA, USA

Apr 062010

Grand Caravan

While driving, with no warning, vehicle stalls (engine dies) steering column locks and brakes are hard, their is no control over the vehicle and can't get off the road. I almost got into a serious accident, I was approaching a major interstate hwy when my vehicle stalled. The dealer mech can't find any problems, nothing records on the memory or flight recorders. This has happened to the mech while on a test drive, they say they checked all the computer wires and want to give the vehicle back and states it is safe.

- Franklin, NJ, USA

Sep 152008

Grand Caravan

The Dodge Grand Caravan is a good car when it wants to be. We bought it thinking it would be a good car for the kids and turned out to be a lemon. Two weeks after we bought the vehicle brand new, the engine shut off while running mid day. I had it towed to the Dodge dealer because everytime I started the car and put it in drive it would stall. The dealer inspected the vehicle the next morning and found nothing wrong with it. I picked it up and took it home. On the way home in the hot part of the day, the vehicle stalled on me on the highway. I immediately took it too the dealer and told them they needed to fix it. They called me a day later and accused me of putting ethanol in the vehicle. I told them to go !@#$% themselves because there isn't a gas station with ethanol within 60 miles of my house. I told them to do what they had to do to fix it. They drained the fuel system and took out the next morning with no problems. I told the manger to let it got hot and drive it to and from the dealership. He did just that and to his surprise he didn't make it back to the dealership. It turns out it was a computer control module that was !@#$% up. We have taken the vehicle back to the dealer four times because of broke linkages and electrical problems in the vehicle. It has now been 6 months since the vehicle has been in the dealer. It has been working fine "knock on wood".

- Harker Heights, TX, USA

Jul 012008

Grand Caravan 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2008 Dodge Grand Caravan. The contact stated that the vehicle is equipped with a remote control that operates the rear hatch. The remote is used to place the wheelchair inside of the vehicle with the lift. The remote control is defective, and opens and closes the rear hatch and side doors without warning whether the buttons have been pressed or not. The manufacturer stated that they would investigate the issue, but he has not yet heard a response. The vehicle was taken to the dealer and they claimed to have reset the remote, but the failure still persists. The contact believes that this is a safety hazard because if the vehicle is parked and unattended, it could easily be stolen due to the doors opening randomly. The contact stated that there was a recall for the remote control. The VIN was unknown. The failure mileage was 29 and current mileage was 6,000. Updated 09/01/09. The sliding doors would open on their own. Updated 09/03/09.

- Madison, WI, USA

Mar 042008

Grand Caravan 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2008 Dodge Grand Caravan. The contact stated that the remote sliding doors and rear hatch would open at will when the key remote was in the his pocket. He took the vehicle to the dealer, but they would not assist. When the contact would barely touch the remote, the doors would open. The manufacturer would also not assist. The current mileage was 9,884 and failure mileage was 6,029. Updated 09/04/09.

- Madison, WI, USA

Apr 242009

Grand Caravan

02/23/2009- purchased 2008 Dodge Grand Caravan- on day of purchase I asked why brakes made a barking sound, was told because it sat in parking lot for a while. Odometer-19230the next day the van shut itself off while driving down the road. I could steer and the engine was running but I couldn't accelerate and all instrument lighting was off.I called sale auto mall the place I bought it and they said call back if it happened again. Sometime in March took it because the steering keep pulling me towards the curb. The service manager of sale auto mall test drove it with me in it and detected nothing wrong. 4/01/2009- took it in for oil change. 04/06/2009 brakes failed coming back from moorehead. Called sale auto mall, they referred me to Dodge dealership in greenville, called them and asked for tow, they refused, they told me to bring it as far as I could. When I got there they said it wasn't under warranty and that it would be $370 to fix, I refused and they charged me $35 for looking at it. 04/08/2009-took it to boyd's he repaired brakes and rotors for $150. 4/20/2009- brakes spongy and sinking call boyd's referred me to Dodge dealership in new bern, see them, service manager starts the test drive with me goes ten feet and hits brakes, stops car says I knowwhats wrong it's the master cylinder, asked me to get out, says he wants his brake man to check it out. Then thirty minutes later sends a man to tell me the part has to be order, he gives me my keys and tells me they'll call me when the part is in.4/23/09- dealership called me said part was in, could I come in today, told him I was at work, when could I come in he asked, I told him Monday, he said fine. 04/24/2009- coming home from work going 40 on arrlington blvd.see a line of cars in front of me start to slow down, suddenly all cars in front slam on brakes to a dead stop, I slam on my brakes, but they go all the way to the bottom of floor and the rate of speed doesn't change.I hit the SUV in front of me at full speed. Help!

- Vanceboro, NC, USA

Apr 092009

Grand Caravan

Brake pads had to be replaced and rotors turned at 13,000 miles. Only made sound for one day grinding. Never had brakes on any car I have owned go out with that few of miles. Especially a new car. Battery was also leaking and inside functions like radio and wipers, locks, windows... sometimes just don't work. It also feels like the transmission is dragging. They replaced the battery, I had to pay for the brakes and nothing was found for any of the other stuff..

- Fort Worth, TX, USA

Oct 032008

Grand Caravan

In March 2008, I purchase a new 2008 Dodge Caravan. Several months ago, I started to have problems with the van. When driving, all of the sudden the van will stall. It will immediately restart. However, no electrical components will work. Ie: headlights, hazard lights, windshield wipers, blower motor, radio etc. I called the dealership that sold me the car and on October 3. 2008. I took the vehicle in for repair. They returned the vehicle the same day and stated they recalibrated the computer and that should solve the problem. On October 15, 2008, the van was back at the dealer for the same problem. This time they kept the van until October 29,2008 at which time they stated they replaced the computer and again stated we should be fine. On approximately November 13th, 2008 we had the same problem for the third time. We took the van into the dealer and also called Chrysler directly. We were told that a Chrysler engineer would get involved and we would get the problem taken care of. It is now November 26,2008 and the dealer called and said that they could not duplicate the problem and therefore there was nothing more they could do. They stated to drive the vehicle until this problem occurs again and then rather than restart the van, have it towed to the dealership. My husband spoke with the district manager of Chrysler, brandie wagner, and she told him that there is nothing she can do. My husband asked her to put her family in this situation and how would she feel. She responded that this is a very dangerous situation. However, there is no way to convince her supervisors to replace the vehicle until she or Chrysler technicians see this problem occur for themselves. This is a very dangerous situation. If driving the van at night and this happens and we have no working lights, this not only puts my family in jeopardy but also the general public that is driving around us.

- Canfield , OH, USA

Oct 012008

Grand Caravan

2008 Dodge Grand Caravan the car dies while driving, occasionally won't shift after dying and restarting. All warning lights go on and sometimes stay on or flash on and off. Have returned to dealership several times and they can't find anything wrong with it. Also had sliding doors open on their own had that fixed then they wouldn't close with back access button, apparently caused by a loose wire had that repaired, then rear bumper warped so back door wouldn't open, had to take it in to have that fixed, basically my car is in for repair most of the time and I have a small rental of which this time I had to pay for a cracked windshield and it costs me $50 every time I have to rent one. I have 4 special needs children who have appointments up to 300 miles away from home. I am a single mom and traveling alone with my children and no longer feel safe driving with them for these distances. The las time the car died I also had two foster children with me, six kids and the car died while driving it and they can't find anything wrong with it so I bring it home sometimes with 200 miles added on it and an empty gas tank. I think it's time Chrysler Corp. Take the vehicle off my hands so I can purchase a reliable vehicle.

- Red Bluff, CA, USA

Jul 172008

Grand Caravan

Vehicle was parked in driveway and had not been driven for nearly 12 hours. A fire started near or between the battery and the electronic control center. The vehicle was declared a total loss by the insurance company.

- Livonia, MI, USA

Aug 012008

Grand Caravan

I bought a 2008 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT in 3/2008. From the start, I felt the van would not start properly. The engine would continue to turn over even after I had let go of the key and it takes an unusual amount of time to complete start cycle. I was advised by the dealer that this wa common in newer vehicles. Another problem was that the inside window, door lock, auto door openers only worked intermittently. Last month, while driving, the dash lights all lit up and the van died immediately. This has happened three separate times since then. Each time, the vehicle ran fine once restarted but it has been sheer luck it hasn't resulted in N accident. A couple of weeks ago, a new problem arose. I noticed that when I started the van, although it was running, none of the systems up front were working. The air conditioning, radio, or power windows among other things would not work at all. The van needed to be turned off and restarted to get it to work properly. This has also happened repeatedly since.

- Chuckey, TN, USA

Aug 012008

Grand Caravan

2008 Dodge Grand Caravan shuts down. The consumer stated at random times, the dashboard lights would illuminate, indicating an engine malfunction. Soon after, the vehicle would cut off.

- Clemson, SC, USA

May 142008

Grand Caravan

The transmission of our 2008 Grand Caravan was having issues when going into reverse. When the vehicle was in neutral or park the indicator showed the vehicle to be in all gears at the same time. Also the back doors and hatch would not open due to the fact that the vehicle thought that it was in motion. The vehicle was towed to the dealer and was found that the PCM had internal failures. Dealer had to replace PCM.

- Blacksburg, VA, USA

May 022008

Grand Caravan

2008 Dodge Grand Caravan transmission went into limp mode and was stuck in gear and would not shift. I had to exit to side of road, shut vehicle off and then restart. Vehicle started shifting but then engine light came on along with a burning smell. Dealership looked at vehicle and cleared codes and reprogrammed PCM. Dealer stated codes were related to transmission.

- Blacksburg, VA, USA