2008 Dodge Grand Caravan electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Dodge Grand Caravan:

2008 Dodge Grand Caravan Owner Comments (Page 1 of 37)

Apr 102016

Grand Caravan

Car dies without warning. Acceleration, steering and braking compromised and dangerous. Happens randomly, when stopping, when accelerating when cruising at highway speeds. Engine hot and cold. New ignition installed as part of recall program and the problem has gotten worse since the "fix".

- Pleasant Prairie, WI, USA

Jan 052015

Grand Caravan

The contact owns a 2008 Dodge Grand Caravan. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 14V373000 (air bags and electrical system). The parts were not available within a reasonable time frame. The dealer placed the contact on a waiting list months ago and later indicated that the waiting list was cleared and that the contact would need to be re-added to the list. The manufacturer was unable to provide a specific time frame that the part would be supplied to the dealer. The contact was not experiencing a failure. Parts distribution disconnect.

- Jackson, WI, USA

Jul 062015

Grand Caravan

The contact owns a 2008 Dodge Grand Caravan. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 14V373000 (air bags, electrical system); however, the part to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was not made aware of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure. The VIN was not available. Parts distribution disconnect.

- Menominee, MI, USA

Apr 072016

Grand Caravan

My van was sitting in my driveway. I used the key fob to attempt to unlock the doors and instead the horn started honking, wipers going, washer fluid spraying and lights flashing. It did not stop and the doors would not unlock. I had to use the hidden key in the key fob to manually unlock the door to open the hood and disconnect the battery. I reconnected it and attempted to drive it to my mechanic. It stalled after about 50 feet. I ended up being able to drive it to the mechanic four days later. My mechanic said it had 6 recalls on it (which I was not notified of) and needed the tipm replaced, which was not a part of a recall. He said Chrysler would not allow him to buy the part and I would have to take it directly to the dealer. He said the part is $780 and does not include labor! I cannot afford this and I need this vehicle! I have three kids! I did some research online and saw that this part on my van was a part of a lawsuit. When they settled the lawsuit, they did not include the 2008 Grand Caravan. This is the same exact faulty part that is in the other vehicles that are covered by the lawsuit/recall! there is absolutely no reason I should have to pay for any of this.

- Lewiston, NY, USA

Mar 172016

Grand Caravan

Sept 2015-my engine shut off while driving at 25mph and the horn and wipers went crazy. I was able to pull car to side of road safely. Feb 2016- took van in for recall for new key fab. The following week the car went crazy when I pushed unlock button to get into the vehicle using the new key fab. Horn went off, wipers squirting fluid and doors locked on me except for the rear hatch. Took into dealer they changed the clock spring. March 2016- vehicle went crazy again (horn, wipers, doors) I got into vehicle through rear hatch, unlocked hood, turned key to start to see if I could unlock, car started. I tried to turn off and engine kept going without key in ignition. I got out disconnected battery cable and the vehicle. Was still going crazy and the engine was still running for about 10 minutes. I took vehicle into dealer they first stated it needed new battery cables.. I told them that will not fix the issue.. it is more than that. Keep the vehicle until you find the real solution. Now the dealership is telling me it is the integrated power module ($950) on top on the clock spring that they replaced for ($550). I feel like the dealership is just reaching for solutions and ion the meantime I have to keep paying for their testing.

- Southgate, MI, USA

Apr 062015

Grand Caravan

The contact owns a 2008 Dodge Grand Caravan. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 14V373000 (air bags, electrical system); however, the parts to do the recall repair were unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was not made aware of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure. Parts distribution disconnect.

- Eagle Point, OR, USA

Jan 012015

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

2008 Dodge Grand Caravan. Consumer writes in regards to replacement key not available to complete ignition switch recall. The consumer stated the vehicle stalled, due to a faulty ignition.

- Moreno Valley, CA, USA

Mar 252015

- Indiannapolis, IN, USA

May 262015

Grand Caravan

The contact owns a 2008 Dodge Grand Caravan. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 14V373000 (electrical system). The part to do the recall repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was not aware of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure. Parts distribution disconnect.

- Inverness, FL, USA

Mar 192016

Grand Caravan

The van engine shuts down while in drive. This has happened 4 times with in a week. It has shut down completely at an intersection. Even the hazards would not come on to show other drivers that I was broke down. I received a notice last year about a recall for the ignition module and I was put an a long wait list to have it fixed. On January 3, 2016 I had the recall taken care of at sherwood service in salisbury, md. I have never had the engine failure happen before having the recall fixed, and now, it is happening. When the engine shut down the last time, my husband who was driving had to call the police to direct traffic around the van until the tow truck got there so he would not be hit! it blocked an intersection for 30 minutes until the van was towed away, when the van got home on the tow truck, it started up with no problem. Every time this has happened, the van has been in gear and driving when it completely shuts down and it has either gone over a small bump or been turning. I would also like to add that I had an appointment with sherwood Chrysler in salisbury, md today(3/22/21) and they said that they could not find anything wrong with my van and tried send my husband home in the van without fixing the problem! he insisted that they drive it (which they would not do today) to see if it happened again. They still have my van.

- Salisbury, MD, USA

Oct 152015

Grand Caravan

The contact owns a 2008 Dodge Grand Caravan. The contact received a notification of NHTSA campaign number: 14V373000 (air bags, electrical system); however, the part to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was not made aware of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure. Parts distribution disconnect.

- Pinnacle, NC, USA

Jan 012016

Grand Caravan

The contact owns a 2008 Dodge Grand Caravan. When the ignition was turned to the on position, the key was stuck in the accessory position and was difficult to remove. The contact stated that if the battery was not detached from the vehicle, the battery would fail. The key was removed later after several attempts. The vehicle was not taken to a dealer or diagnosed. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 14V373000 (air bags, electrical system); however, the part to do the recall repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was unknown. Parts distribution disconnect.

- East Petersburg, PA, USA

Mar 162016

Grand Caravan

The contact owns a 2008 Dodge Grand Caravan. When the ignition key was turned to the on position, the vehicle failed to start without warning. The vehicle was unable to restart. The vehicle was not diagnosed nor repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 96,000.

- Ashtabula, OH, USA

Jun 012015

Grand Caravan

The contact owns a 2008 Dodge Grand Caravan. The contact received a notification of NHTSA campaign number: 14V313000 (air bags, electrical system); however, the parts for the recall were not available. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure. Parts distribution disconnect.

- Sunnyside, WA, USA

Mar 112016

Grand Caravan

While in motion, the van will completely lose power for no apparent reason. There are no warnings, strange sounds or any indicator that it is about to shut off. The car just shuts off--the power steering is gone, I can't accelerate or keep moving at constant speed. The car is completely off and control is barely possible. It can happen anywhere, including at stop signs, driving along the road, the middle of an intersection, which makes it a severe safety issue. Once it is in park, it can be restarted, usually aided by pumping the gas, and then it goes on as if nothing happened. However, shifting into park isn't always an option when you are driving in the middle of the road. The check engine light does not come on, so no error code is produced. It has been taken to a dealership service center twice, but the problem is intermittent and cannot be duplicated easily, so they don't know what to fix, tell us nothing is wrong and send us on our way. It is alarming that they don't give more urgency to finding a source, considering that the car turns off while driving. Our ignition switch/key have been replaced after the recall, which we were hoping was the cause of the problem, but it was not. It is still occurring. I have done an internet search and it seems that this problem is not unique to me. Other drivers are experiencing the same issue. Minivans often carry children in them. If this problem were to occur in a busy intersection, the results could be devastating. I urge you to seek a solution/source to this problem quickly! I wish we could simply go buy a new car to keep our family safe, but unfortunately, that isn't our reality, as we are still working to pay off this one, so we are hoping the problem will be researched and resolved promptly. You are welcome to use our van to do so!

- Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Mar 012016

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

2008 Dodge Grand Caravan. Consumer writes in regards to vehicle engine shuts off and loss of normal function of brake and steering system recall issues. The consumer wanted to file a C complaint against the manufacturer for their inability to complete a mandated recall in a reasonable amount of time.

- Harker Heights, TX, USA

Jul 022012

Grand Caravan

The contact owns a 2008 Dodge Grand Caravan. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 14V373000 (air bags, electrical system), however, the parts to do the recall repair were unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was not made aware of the issue. On several occasions, the vehicle failed to start. The contact stated that removing the key and re-inserting the key remedied the failure. The failure mileage was not available. Parts distribution disconnect.

- Hiawassee, GA, USA

Feb 282016

Grand Caravan

While driving the van shuts off and looses all power to include power brakes and steering. Also the traction control light comes on. The following has been completed to fix the problem without the problem being resolved: Replacement of battery and check of battery cables, recall complete of win module, replacement of O2 sensors and egr valve, and check of all fuses and wiring. After all of the aforementioned repairs the van still shuts off while driving. When the van shuts off the check engine light does not come on and there are no codes present for the mechanic to diagnose problem. This issue is an extreme safety issue and it appears there are numerous reports I have been able to locate on the internet. My wife will not drive the van not because of the problem. When the van shuts off you can place it in park and restart the van and continue to drive. The van has shut off on me while I have been driving it and there does not appear to be any indicator that it is going to shut down, ie stuttering or irregular operation. The speed that the issue has occurred ranges from 20 mph to 55 mph.

- Peru, NY, USA

Mar 042016

Grand Caravan

The contact owns a 2008 Dodge Grand Caravan. While driving at 40 mph, the instrument panel lights flickered and failed to illuminate. The electrical system shut down and the window washer pump melted to the overload power. The vehicle was towed to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the totally integrated power module failed and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 178,800.

- Chillicothe, OH, USA

Oct 142011

Grand Caravan

Takata recall. The contact owns a 2008 Dodge Grand Caravan. While driving various speeds, the vehicle stalled without warning. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign numbers: 11V394000 (air bags, equipment) and 14V373000 (air bags, electrical system); however, the part to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was unknown. Parts distribution disconnect.

- Sarasota, FL, USA