2008 Dodge Grand Caravan electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Dodge Grand Caravan:

2008 Dodge Grand Caravan Owner Comments (Page 1 of 5)

Jan 152013

Grand Caravan

When driving down the road the lights on the dash board will come on flashing for no apparent reason. While driving on the road or highway also the van will die without any warning. And will slow down with no control, the lights all go dark specially dangerous when it happens while I am on the highway. It does not happen all the time. Or a consist manner. You call the dealership they will admit that it is a issue but they have the monoply on repairs so you have to go to the dealer to get it fix.

- St Louis, MO, USA

Oct 252013

Grand Caravan

I was driving down the highway and my vehicle headlights turned off as well as the engine. The windshield wipers turned on high even though they were in the off position. The car horn was engaged and I had no control over the function of the systems. I was able to start the car but the light would not come on etc. Even with the key removed and the exiting the wipers, horn, hazzard lights still were engaged. The car started to spray windshield wiper fluid as well. The locks would unlock and lock as well. Eventually approximately 10 minutes it stopped. I was able to stared the car and moved it to a safe location. I took video of the incident. I am highly concerned as this seems to be a recurring problem based on my research and there definitely could have be a fatality last night!

- Ellicott City, MD, USA

Sep 032013

Grand Caravan

I had the win module and the gear shift assembly replaced 11 months ago. Complained and Chrysler refunded the $1200 charge. Currently the car shifts by itself into first or second gear while driving. I called the dealership and they say that is not related to the work listed above! these issues are all inter related and I should not have to pay again to have the car shift properly!

- Clarence Center, NY, USA

Sep 182013

Grand Caravan

While driving at 15 mph the windshield wipers, the radio and all the dashboard lights came on. The lights kept blinking on and off. No idea why.

- Raleigh, NC, USA

Sep 192013

Grand Caravan

Our van was parked outside our house (after being driven 6 miles & sitting for 10 minutes) & I started hearing the horn trying to make a honking sound, went outside & noticed the lights flickering, the wipers going at top speed w/washer fluid spraying, & the horn was trying to honk. I tried pushing the unlock button on my key fob & nothing happened. I was able to unlock the door with the key but entering & opening all the doors did nothing. I tried starting the van & it wouldn't stay on. The horn eventually went on at full force & a solid sound. We had to disconnect the battery for it to stop.

- Monee, IL, USA

Sep 092013

Grand Caravan

I was stopped at my church for a women's banquet when I realized I could not remove my key from the ignition. After about 20 minutes of playing with it, I became frustrated. I then turned it on and tried to put it in reverse so I could leave, and it would not budge. My husband has had to insert a butter knife in the top in order to force it to change gears so we could get it home. We will be getting it looked at tomorrow and hopefully repaired.

- St. Augustine, FL, USA

Sep 302011

Grand Caravan

While driving down the road, vehicle will suddenly shutoff and horn will blare and windshield wipers will become active. Other times, the lights will flicker and become inoperative at night. Most likely to shut off when negotiating a turn. I have taken the vehicle to the dealer 8 times for this issue but they have been unable to recreate the situation and such unable to diagnose. There are many instances across the country on review boards and discussion websites with the same symptoms but the dealer is still unwilling to diagnose.

- Phoenix, AZ, USA

Aug 162013

Grand Caravan

The contact owns a 2008 Dodge Grand Caravan. The contact stated that while driving approximately 45 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning. The failure recurred twice. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 85,000.

- Grand Rapids , MI, USA

Aug 242013

Grand Caravan

When my wife was driving on the highway at 70 mph, with my child. The car died. Wife rolled to side of the road and attempted to start it again. The car started and promptly died again but wipers were going at full speed along with the windshield washer fluid pumping out, and the horns and lights turning on and off, she removed the key and it continued. She had already called me and by the time I got there (approx 15 min) it had shut itself off. I tried to restart it with the same problems as mentioned before. I opened the hood and there was a lot of noise coming from the relay box ( tipm ), I unhooked the battery, and the problem "self resolved" fired up car and drove it the 15 miles home. After looking up problem on line, have found that this is a ongoing issue and that the repair part is back ordered nationally, tells me that this is an ongoing issue, Chrysler does know about but has not done anything about it. This is a major safety issue.

- Fulton, MO, USA

Jun 082013

Grand Caravan

My wife and I were driving down the road, when the van started to lock and unlock the doors. The next time this happened my three kids were in the van and it was 85 degrees out and the only way we got in was to talk my son into trying to unbuckle his car seat.we have also had a problem with the ac not working witch is great when it is soo humid out. The doors still continue to lock and unlock by themselves at least once a week.

- Eden Valley, MN, USA

Aug 132013

Grand Caravan

I was driving to work on Tuesday August 13, 2013 doing about 60mph, suddenly my windshield wipers came on, the horn started blaring, dashboard gauges stopped working (then started going crazy) and the engine turned off. I was able to pull over to the side of the road, I turned off the ignition removed the key but the nothing in the van would not turn off. The wipers were on, the horn was blaring and the dash gauges were still going crazy. This continued for about 6 to 8 minutes before everything just stopped. After about 3 minutes I was able to start the van and continue to work without issue. I called the dealership and told them the problem (it was in that shop for similar problem 2 weeks earlier) I dropped it off at the dealer the same day and as of today they it is still there (they cannot duplicate the problem…..) I've researched the problem online and I am apparently 1 of hundreds with the same issue with 2008 Grand Caravan. It is a faulty tipm module.

- Severna Park, MD, USA

Jun 042012

Grand Caravan

Going high speed, engine suddenly stops, all lights on dash light up, power steering does not function. This happened (3) times last year. I was fortunate enough to be able to pull over on the pa turnpike but was in danger of being hit as I was traveling in the left lane. Car would not restart. Waited 20 minutes and car did initially restart. However, when it restarted, once driven, it would not shift gears--it was stuck in 1st. (automatic transmission) pulled over again. Waited 10 minutes, started driving, and car functioned but "check engine light" was on. Car was taken to dealer immediately. They initially blamed the fob, which I replaced. When this incident happened again a few months later, it was again taken to dealer and since they could not replicate the problem, they said they could not fix it. In July of this year, started this behavior again but now would not restart after the engine cut off. (again traveling high speed) then the engine cut off a day later while only going 40 miles an hour. Took car to the dealer again and they changed the win module. (but tell me that all three electrical system are registering errors) I paid to replace win module, had car for 1 week, went to start it and there was no response. Had car towed to dealership. Replaced starter relay. Picked car up on a Wednesday and on Thursday, engine shut down on me while doing 20 mph. Again, would not restart. Car currently at dealership but they claim they have no idea what's wrong. This is a hazard!! I feel I am going to die in this car because someone is going to run into me at high speed when I don't have a engine to get out of the way. My young kids are constantly in this car. Dealership throws up their hands and says "I don't know or care if you die in this vehicle we simply can't fix the problem" I am still paying this car off and can't afford another car!

- Hatfield, PA, USA

Aug 022013

Grand Caravan

The back passenger sliding door keeps opening and closing on it's own. The key fobs can be nowhere on our person and the door continually does this, even when locked. I have seen this complaint numerous times online. Something needs to be done. Our dog got into the van when the door was open and the door closed trapping her in there. Thank goodness my husband saw her and got her out before she died of heat exhaustion. If that had been a child, it could have had a very tragic ending. Please use whatever pull you have to make Dodge fix this problem before someone is hurt, maimed or killed!! thank you.

- Carthage, MO, USA

Jul 012011

Grand Caravan

Report receipt date: June 03, 2010 NHTSA campaign number: 10V235000 component(s): Electrical system my vehicle doesn't have the code so its not included in thisrecall...not right.all my wires have ripped apart and half my electrical no longer works..you should be responsible for this no question about it..I can smell burning wires...you need to include this..refuse to buy another Dodge this company doesn't back up their problems occurring with factory made issues...I will not pay out of pocket that you should be liable for......

- Port Huron, MI, USA

Sep 032012

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

My vehicles windshield wipers will automatically come on and the instrument panel will flash or go to zero while operating the van. My van has also stalled while driving at low speeds. This happens anywhere from a few times a week to severals times a day. I've had the dealer look at my vehicle and a non -dealer mechanic and neither can find a problem. I have researched on the internet and found thousands of people with the same complaint. I am afraid sometimes that my vehicle will stall while crossing a busy intersection and cause an accident.

- Lake Charles, LA, USA

Jun 112013

Grand Caravan

The contact owns a 2008 Dodge Grand Caravan. The contact stated that he was unable to remove the key from the ignition and was unable to shift gears. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not contacted about the failure. The failure mileage was 76,648.

- Tayson, AZ, USA

Jun 062013

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

I was driving home last night going about 55mph. Suddenly my windshield wipers can on, the horn started blaring, & my gauges quit working. I was able to pull over to the side of the road, I turned the ignition off & took the key out but my van did not turn off. The wipers & horn blaring continued for 3-4 minutes before everything shut off. I was able to restart the van & continue my drive home without issue. This morning I called my local dealership & my van can not be looked at until next week. I've researched online & I am apparently 1 of hundreds who have had this issue with 08 Grand Caravan. Why is there not a recall?

- Milan, IL, USA

May 292013

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

The first incident happened on 5/29/13 while my van was parked in my driveway. My vans lights flashed, the horn went crazy, the windshield wipers were going on their own. The car was not started and no key in the ignition. It was sitting there. This lasted about 8 minutes. I went to advanced auto after it stopped and had them check it with the machine. They told me it could be a battery problem but the code machine said the problem was caused by a power surge from a relay. He could not be sure which issue was causing the problem or what relay would do this. I bought a new battery in hopes that would resolve the problem. On 5/30/13 I got home from work and pulled in my driveway. My son asked to borrow my car to go to a friends house. He made it to the end of the road and the horn started beeping, windshield wipers started going, lights started flashing and the van began to accelerate. My son said he turned the key to the off position and removed the key from the ignition. The car continued to run without the key. This lasted for 10 minutes. The van is now parked because I researched the symptoms and came across hundreds if not thousands of the same complains lots of them recent. They all said it was the total ignition power module. I am very confused as to why Dodge knows of this problem and has not recalled the vehicles before someone's life is lost. There are so many complaints and the severity of safety at hand over a defective part. I will never buy another Dodge again. How can I do business with a company that cares so little for human life. What if I was driving with my 5 children and this caused an accident. What if this hurt or even killed one of them.

- Lehigh Acres, FL, USA

Mar 012013

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

Vehicle intermittently has electrical problems. The problems vary in severity. When problems occur there are various symtoms that include instrument cluster not working, windshield wipers operating without being turned on, headlights become inoperative, heat and ac become inoperative, doors lock and cannot be overridden even manually. When problems occur that can last for a few seconds and multiple times or sometimes a continuous for several minutes.

- West Bend, WI, USA

May 282013

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

After accelerating from a stop light to a speed of approximately to 40 mph, the electronic stability control light illuminated on the dash board. The vehicle lost acceleration power and would not go over 20 mph. After loss of power, driver noticed power steering and brakes were inoperable. Driver was able to turn off busy road without incident and glided to a stop. Driver turned off vehicle and restarted. After restarting vehicle, it appeared to operate normal. Vehicle was driven to dealer immediately for diagnosis and repair.

- Woodridge, IL, USA