8.8

2. replace wireless control module (1 reports)
  3. short in a power module (1 reports)
2008 Dodge Grand Caravan engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Dodge Grand Caravan:

2008 Dodge Grand Caravan Owner Comments

Jun 162014

Grand Caravan

The stupid van keeps shutting off while I am driving. So scary. Just got this stupid van. Bought it used from dealership. It just randomly shuts down when I'm driving. All the gauges and everything.

- , Upper Darby, PA, USA

Jun 122014

Grand Caravan

I just bought my 2008 Dodge Grand Caravan used from Cherry Hill Mitzubishi. And the engine started shutting off while driving on day 3 after I bought it. Took it to a mechanic and he thought it might be the battery so I replaced the battery with a brand new one. The problem still keeps happening. It just shuts off while I'm driving. Over bumps especially and around turns. So dangerous.

- , Upper Darby, PA, USA

Jun 302013

Grand Caravan Limited V6

My 2008 Dodge Caravan has stalled 4 times within the past 3 months while driving. The dealer replaced my battery but it continues. They tell me they cannot find the problem - no code is registering in the computer - I am afraid to drive the van for fear it will stall on highlway.

- , Valley Cottage, NY, USA

Apr 052013

Grand Caravan SXT 3.8L

Mon vehicule tout en conduisant sest ettouffer, une chance que je conduisait a basse vitesse, je lai ammener sur le concessionnaire mais il me dise quil ne voit aucun probleme meme si cest la deuxieme fois que je lammene pour le meme probleme. Quand le vehicule setouffe tout les lumiere sallume et devienne folle, une fois arreter je reussi a redemarrer la voiture et je suis bloquer en deuxieme vitesse et sur un autre redemarrage tout vas bien comme sil ny avais aucun pprobleme. Jai peur de conduire avec un vehicule comme celui ci, cest une vrai bombe a retardement et le pire dans tout ca cest que le c oncessionnaire ne trouve rien meme si la lumiere de lengin indique plein de codes (aucune communication entre lordinateur et le vehicule) quant aller vous reagir, je dois descendre a montreal de quebec est ce que je vais staller en plein traffic, cest epeurant et personne na lair de prendre tout ca au serieux meme apres tout les commentaires que je vois sur linternet !!!!!!!!!

- , Quebec, QC, Canada

May 072013

Grand Caravan LX 4.0L V6

This is a repetitive, almost daily problem. When vehicle is first driven in the mroning, it stalls during driving after about 1 to 2 miles of travel. This stalling has occured daily at speed around 30 mph, and i have to quickly push control to neutral, try to restart ignation (usually starts in about 2 to 3 seconds) to regain power steering and power brake controls. This condition has almost caused an accident on several occasions as steering and braking is significant reduced as engined stalls (i.e. no power). I saw in reading interenet stories, that 2010s were recalled after 2 accidents. I fear I may be an accident, and have taken vehicle to repair, but no trouble has been found yet. If Chrysler/Dodge know about a faulty/defective problem, I really hope they will notify me immediately. I have sent an email to Dodge Customer service in hopes of getting an answer quickly. Meanwhile, i'll try to anticipate the stall as much as i can to avoid an accident, as I have a need to continue to drive this vehicle even with this faulty condition.

- , Duluth, GA, canada

Oct 162012

Grand Caravan SXT 4.0L V6

For over a year our 2008 Dodge Grand Caravan would stall while driving, starting at 48,000 miles. This would leave you without power steering or brakes, creating a potentially dangerous situation. The dealer initially cleaned the throttle body and told us to run a bottle of fuel injector cleaner through with the next few tanks of gas. The problem stopped for awhile, but returned three months later We carefully documented each occurrence, including whether the engine was cold or hot, under load or coasting, road speed, level of fuel in gas tank, etc. There was no pattern to the problem. It went away during the summer months, but returned growing progressively worse during the fall months. Eventually the dealer replaced the torque converter in the transmission, although this did not solve the problem (63,000 miles) The repairs were covered under our Chrysler Max-Care warranty. Interesting that the warranty also covers a rental car while repairs are being made, but NOT during diagnostics, but that's another story...

A few weeks later, we began to have electrical problems, as reported by so many others at this forum. All the dashboard warning lights would come on, the windshield wipers would activate, the gauges would zero out, and the seat belt chime would sound. Sometimes this lasted for a few seconds, other times for a few minutes. The stalling problem also continued, although thankfully they did not occur at the same time. The dealer diagnosed a problem with the bus wire, but could not specify what or where. They checked all the wiring harness/module connections and returned the car to us. Not a mile down the road, it happened again.

Back to the dealer and this time the TIPM (Total Integrated Power Module) was replaced, Again, no success; the problem was back two days later. On the next visit, they replaced the instrument cluster, but still no resolution to the problem. At this point we have been without our van for nearly a month, each time bearing the cost of a rental care at $35/day, despite our extended warranty that is to cover this. Fearing for the safety of my wife and kids who typically ride in this van and seeing no end to the problem in sight, we traded the car in today, taking a significant loss on its value. This problem was reported to Chrysler but there has been no follow up other than assigning us a case number. Apparently all contact with Chrysler has to be through the dealership network.

- , Irwin, PA, USA

Jun 062012

Grand Caravan 3.3L

There needs to be another option added in the cost question on here, i had to put (didn't get fixed) which makes me sound irresponsible, it can't be fixed if no one can find out whats wrong. Chrysler needs to step up to the plate and get this figured out SOON!!!!

- , Belgrade, Minnesota, USA

May 242012

Grand Caravan 3.3L

This is something that Chrysler better look into soon. Someone is going to get seriously hurt. When the van just stalls on you in traffic its very dangerous. Lawsuits waiting to happen.

- , Belgrade, Minnesota, USA

Aug 082011

Grand Caravan SXT 3.8L

Wife was driving to work and the engine quit and check engine light came on. Fortunately, she was able to get it through an intersection and over to the side with no power steering or brakes. Took it to the dealership. The computer showed an error code not in dealers database and none of their mechanics had seen before. They called Chrysler. Service Mgr described the code as "erroneous" code but Chrysler Engineering had seen this before and recommended replacing the Wireless Control Module. Obviously, the Service Manager couldn't say that this would fix the problem because they couldn't reproduce it. He wasn't sure why the wireless control module would cause the symptom. I see one other complaint here and another complaint on another site for 2008 but under 2010 Grand Caravan on this site there are many more similar incidents.

- , Carol Stream, IL, USA

Nov 102011

Grand Caravan SXT 3.8L

Van randomly stalls out while driving. Very serious issue. The dealership finds no faults and are basically just shot-gunning their trouble-shooting. I have seen other posts with the same issue but more on the 2010. No brakes, no steering, and three kids in the van is not an enjoyable experience. Someone is going to get seriously hurt.

- , Jacksonville, NC, USA

Aug 202011

Grand Caravan

door locks still having issues. Now stalled at 110 km over hour on highway.. also stalls sometimes at start up!

- , Strathmore, AB, canada

Apr 212011

Grand Caravan SXT 4.0L

While driving our 2008 Dodge Caravan SXT with 4.0 engine the engine just stalled for no apparent reason and I lost all brakes, the steering became very hard and I had to pull over to restart. It took 3-4 times before it restarted. No lights came on and no code was stored. I took it to the local Dodge dealer since this is the 2nd time it has happened in the past 2 weeks. They told me to check the battery cables. I am not ASE certified but I am smart enough to know that this is more than that. By the way, the cables, fuses, key in the ignition - were all tight. I now see that Chrysler is recalling the 2010 minivans and Journey's do to the engine just dying while driving. Someone or a family is going to get seriously hurt before they recall all the 2008 - 2010 vehicles with this problem. I should have known better than to buy a Dodge/Chrysler product!

- , Maquoketa, IA, USA

Aug 172010

Grand Caravan SX

Well, today was okay! or so i thought unitl about 9pm... then we thought ok were going to go and get a movie and come home and enjoy a relaxing evening and chill!! Was i ever so wrong! We were going to the Red Box at Giant Eagle, and were turning on to the entrance of the shopping center. (the one with target and Panera and Petsmart) And as im driving the van to make the turn, the van just stops literally. It would'nt let me steer or use the brakes and to top it all off the van wouldnt turn back on... So were stuck there for about 2 hours with the van sitting there while these stupid idiots were trying to get around the van to got the shopping center! And one guy got so mad because the hazard lights werent on. And I had ...to yell at him and let him know i would have if they would have turned on... But nothing would turn on or off! The windsheild washer fluid was shooting everywere! Even inside the van! And we had to get out of the van and tell everyone trying to get around us to go another way. sorry but we couldnt move the van!!

What a hecktict night! And finally the tow truck cam and took the van to Progressive Dodge! And tomorrow we get to get a ride to go there and tell them everything that went wrong so we could get it fixed and get our van back!! 2008 dodge grand caravan, why why why... we didnt do anything to you!! What a hecktict night!!

Update from Sep 13, 2010: UPDATE----- It was a power Module... That had a short init! So im glad it wasnt anything tooo major... but it did cost a hefty 500.00!

- , Canton, OH, USA

Jan 082010

Grand Caravan SXT 3.0L

The car cuts off while driving and the abs, and skid lights on. This has happened 5 times in several different forms. Remote loses contact with vehicle. Has had to be reprogrammed several times. Dealer nor Chrysler is offering any help at this point. It's time to lawyer up!

- , Silver Spring, MD, USA

Feb 132009

Grand Caravan

driving down interstate van quit pulled over and restarted died again restarted again and then the rpms went to 5 it will run but we never know when it will quit been at the dealers for 3 weeks and they can't find the problem

- , Rockford, IL, USA