2008 Dodge Grand Caravan lights problems

lights problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Dodge Grand Caravan:

2008 Dodge Grand Caravan Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Sep 052016

Grand Caravan

Can turn on headlights, then one goes out, blink off and on then go off completely or don't come on at all when turned on. Happens when stationary or in motion. Switch is good. Headlights replaced. Have been told by the mechanic that I have to replace the defective tipm (totally integrated power module) that tested bad. Have read multiple reports of the same issue. This is definitely a safety issue when driving!

- Oak Grove, MO, USA

Jan 312016

Grand Caravan

Headlamp lighting will go out at high rates of speed and or not properly operate at all.

- Nashville, IN, USA

Dec 132015

Grand Caravan

The instrument panel randomly lights up with all warning lights and chimes going off simultaneously, the windshield wipers activating and headlights flashing. Stopping the car, turning it off and on doesn't reset the problem, but it randomly goes away and doesn't happen again for two weeks or a month. It happens when the vehicle is stopped or in motion, while the vehicle is running. I see an open NHTSA investigation matching this on my vehicle, for a tipmodule

- Wailuku, HI, USA

Nov 042015

Grand Caravan

Head lights fail when driving at night, no high or low beams. Failed on rural secondary street. Had lights next day (no repair done). Failed again two days latter on major secondary street. Had lights next day (again no repair). The lights fail intermittently and non-predictable. Dealer does not know cause of failure since the problem resolves itself before they see the vehicle.

- Ashford, CT, USA

May 012014

Grand Caravan

My airbag light has been on for over a year. I recently had it checked out at tire kingdom where they checked it and told me that the diagnostics are coming back that it is not an air bag issue, but rather a seat belt issue. When I inquired about this at a local Dodge dealer, I was told it would be a $110 charge just to check it. I am concerned that this light being on could indicate that there is a larger problem that could result in my airbags not deploying properly in the case of an accident. I should not have to pay to find out that this is a manufacturing issue or a part malfunction. I hope that others are reporting the same issue so that we can get help for this problem with a recall.

- Port Charlotte, FL, USA

Aug 122015

Grand Caravan

My van has started having problems changing gears between the speeds of 30-60 mph. This most frequently occurs around the speeds of 40-50 mph, but have, however, occurred at all speeds within the 30-60 mph range. The van also often accelerates slowly after coming to a full stop. During both given instances, it will be sluggish and sounds like it needs to shift gears yet does not do so. This process also greatly depletes my gas as the transmission isn't shifting properly. I have inquired about a recall on this issue but have found that there aren't any. I, however, have found many complaints online from other owners with this same issue. The date I will provide below is approximately when this started occurring, but does not imply that this situation only occurred once as it continues still.

- Port Charlotte, FL, USA

Oct 072015

Grand Caravan

The front and back wipers came on. The back wiper fluid was squirting. The horn came on and stayed on. The interior and exterior lights turned on. All of this occurred while the vehicle was parked in the driveway. The engine had been off for 10 minutes. The battery had to be jumped because it was drained too much.

- Johnstown, PA, USA

Oct 022012

Grand Caravan

Intermittent electrical issues - fails to start; interior dash panel lights, driver side passenger door not closing, drivers door not locking - all intermittent

- Gilbertsville, PA, USA

Sep 292015

Grand Caravan

For a few days my van has been having issues starting.(not battery) every light on the dash bored has been popping on. Then all the dash lights go out and so do the head lights. We were driving at night. Parked the car for a minute and let it run. It shifted out of park into drive and drove up a little knoll and into a parked car.no one was in or around the van. My bumper was damaged. Luckily no one was hurt. I am a mother of 4 young children. This is a very dangerous situation. Today it rain a bit but prior to today it was not raining. When in parked, lights and wipers were in the off position but they continued to stay on. At a very fast rate it would idle up and down quickly. We refuse to even turn on the van for I am scared of what may happen.

- Keeseville, NY, USA

Aug 092015

Grand Caravan

We were driving down the I5 in California when the all the warning lights on the instrument cluster lit up or started flashing. The indicators, wipers and windshield wiper fluid started and would not shut off. I could not turn any of these items off. This lasted for about 1-2 minutes before the van all of a sudden went back to its normal operation. It has happened one other time since then.

- Sacramento, CA, USA

Jul 012015

Grand Caravan

Refer to date investigation opened: Sep 25, 2014 date investigation closed: Open NHTSA action number: DP14004 component(s): Electrical system my wife noticed it first and I have noticed this. It started when not moving but now continues while driving. The windshield wipers wipe even though they are off, the air bag light and total dash lights, we can't tell how fast we are going because of the gauge failure and the headlights blink among other electrical problems. This is not a good situation with 4 kids in the vehicle.

- New London, WI, USA

Apr 202015

Grand Caravan

(I do have the 2nd incident recorded on my daughters cell phone. However, turning off of SR795 onto main street coming home from work - my wipers began to work on their own, as well as the message light center - all started blinking rapidly, and my seat belt sound was continuously beeping. Then last week as we were going on the expressway (280-75-475) my speedometer would jump from 60 down to 0 back up - continuously, while my wipers were going, all the message indicator lights were blinking, as well as my window would not (still don't) work nor can I lock/unlock my van from the drivers side. The incident on the expressway, incident #2 - is the one I have recorded. I phoned grogantown Chrysler - and was informed they were never sent the L25 part that is recalled. My complaint is this: If my van is a 2008, the original recall was in 2011, how can a dealer put the van back on the lot for sale if the recall has not been addressed or fixed. Insane - and an inconvenience - I was told I could drive it til rouen (which is closer to me) can do a diagnostic test on May 26th. What happens if it is indeed the L25 recall and myself or my kids are injured in an accident cuz Chrysler corporation has not made this part available.

- Millbury, OH, USA

Dec 022014

Grand Caravan

The vehicle's engine suddenly stop functioning, causing the vehicle stops and turned off itself. Also the electrics malfunction made dash lights and signs turned on. This vehicle being inspected by authorized in la ca and advised me that this recall can not be completed due to the Chrysler unable to supply the relevant parts. This vehicle being used for terminal ill patients and requires urgent repairs of this vehicle. Please advise urgently your decision. Kind regards

- Glendale, CA, USA

Apr 272013

Grand Caravan

We went out to car to get in it, and all doors were locked and would not unlock. Horn started blaring. Windshield wipers went crazy with windshield wiper fluid spraying. Headlights were blinking on and off. Finally able to get in car, things finally calmed down after about 10 - 15 minutes. Next day, we took it to dealership. They tested it, and they said they did not find anything wrong with it. Similar episodes happened after that one which included taking the key out of the ignition, and the car was still running. We took it to a different dealership to have it checked, and they said they could not find anything wrong with it.

- Newnan, GA, USA

Sep 052014

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

Vehicles instrument gauges failed, odometer, compass, and warning lights will not operate. Windshield wiper runs constantly while key is in the on position or motor is running. Headlights stay on, however brights do not illuminate and blinkers do not operate. All other systems are functional.

- Worland , WY, USA

May 042012

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

Van has ignition problem that causes lights and engine not to start. Had many issues with ignition with repairs had re key and turn off the alarm. No luck spent over $4000. Problem still exist. Please help.

- Chandler, AZ, USA

Nov 022013

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

The first time it happened was about November 2 and then again on November 23. One the first occurrence I went to open my door and the horn and wipers and wiper fluid started going off. I jump in my ride with the keys in my hand and the van locked me in I was unable to get out and fluid was going all over my garage. Finally the van let me out and we had to pull the battery to get it to stop. It had to sit all day before it would not do those things. Then yesterday I went to walmart and heard an announcement that a vehicle was going crazy in the parking lot. Of course it was mine, I once again had to pull the battery to get it to stop. After a few hours we just pulled all the fuses so that we could get it home. Also for many years now the traction control and brake lights come on in the winter and it starts very funny in the winter. I have read online that this is happening to many many people and it is happening as it is going down the road. I am at this point afraid to drive my van so I am not sure what to do I owe money on this thing. I have taken it to the dealer many times and there are no codes coming up so they said it would probably be like $1000 just for them to figure out what is wrong. There is pages upon pages of people complaining about this, why has Dodge not done a recall are they waiting for someone to get hurt?

- Roscommon, MI, USA

Sep 022013

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

The entire electrical system went haywire. Also note this was at night. Headlights and brights flashing/flickering. Horn blasting. Wipers on full speed (front and rear). Wiper washers spraying (front and rear) interior lights flashing, dash lights flashing...it was scary! please help us to fix.

- Orlando, FL, USA

Sep 192013

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

Our van was parked outside our house (after being driven 6 miles & sitting for 10 minutes) & I started hearing the horn trying to make a honking sound, went outside & noticed the lights flickering, the wipers going at top speed w/washer fluid spraying, & the horn was trying to honk. I tried pushing the unlock button on my key fob & nothing happened. I was able to unlock the door with the key but entering & opening all the doors did nothing. I tried starting the van & it wouldn't stay on. The horn eventually went on at full force & a solid sound. We had to disconnect the battery for it to stop.

- Monee, IL, USA

Sep 302011

Grand Caravan

While driving down the road, vehicle will suddenly shutoff and horn will blare and windshield wipers will become active. Other times, the lights will flicker and become inoperative at night. Most likely to shut off when negotiating a turn. I have taken the vehicle to the dealer 8 times for this issue but they have been unable to recreate the situation and such unable to diagnose. There are many instances across the country on review boards and discussion websites with the same symptoms but the dealer is still unwilling to diagnose.

- Phoenix, AZ, USA