2008 Dodge Grand Caravan steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Dodge Grand Caravan:

2008 Dodge Grand Caravan Owner Comments (Page 2 of 3)

May 172014

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

Van began making loud, grinding noise. Noise seemed louder when steering more to the right. On visit to dealership for ignition recall issue, they looked at where noise was coming from - since they heard it when they drove van back to the service area. They said it was a wheel bearing / hub on right front. Dealership said van was not safe to drive. It could cause an accident. It was a safety issue. Is this a safety issue enough to be a recall issue?

- Farmington, NM, USA

Nov 092013

Grand Caravan

The van completely shut down while I was in the middle of making a U turn. The engine, the electrical just stopped working and the steering wheel got really tight but I was able to glide to the side of the road. I turned the key to the off position put the van in park and then I was able to restart it. I took it to Dodge and they repaired the power steering saying that was the problem. Not so, this has happened 3 times since the first and nothing has been done to repair the problem. Today is 8/29/2014 and I am stranded because it won't turn on at all. Waiting for aaa.

- Beaumont, CA, USA

Aug 102014

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

On Sunday I started my van with the remote and pulled out of my driveway. Once in the busy street, the engine died and the steering wheel locked, leaving me unable to control the vehicle. Fortunately there were no cars coming and I was able to restart the car. I believe the problem was that the ignition didn't recognize the key, and therefore shut off after the prescribed time of letting the engine run through the keyless start. I want to make you aware of the problem because it seems it could be quite dangerous. I have also reported this incident to the manufacturer so they can be advised of it as well.

- Clarksville, TN, USA

Jul 182014

Grand Caravan

My van shuts off without notice - no warning light, no hesitation - just shuts off. I took to fullerton dealership - car was returned to Monday 07/14. I asked for the part they fixed, they refused to give it to me. Today, 07/18 while driving thru a parking lot, the van shut off again. This is a life and death situation as I could get rammed from behind and myself and children may be killed. I spent $580.73 of money I use to feed my children because I need transportation and it is not fixed. I want my funds returned and I want my car fixed or I want another car. I desperately need your help

- Somerset, NJ, USA

Aug 042012

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

Purchased this vehicle 6/30/2012 1st incident 8/2012 driving down highway at 65 mph at night in wooded area so it was pitch black and headlights shut off, wipers running and spraying fluid, horn started blaring, outside lights went crazy, gauges went nuts, and power steering went out. Pulled over when we were able (two lane road w/no shoulders) and after a few minutes went back to normal and ran just fine. The second time it happened was in 10/2012 basically same thing was returning from son's football game on a Friday night at midnight and headlights went out, wipers going crazy, and horn blaring, lights going off. Didn't do it again for awhile then since 3/2013 about every 2 to 3 weeks we have this same issue, van can be sitting in drive and still does it. I have had my children in the car on numerous occasions when this has happened and it scares us all to death. We have almost been hit from behind on more than one of these occasions when power steering went out while making a turn, (it slowed the vehicle down to manually turn it) which I could barely do, and almost received a ticket for faulty equipment due to the brake and reverse lights going off on their own (cop gave me a warning this time) after looking up the issue and talking to a mechanic it is a faulty tipm (totally integrated power module), which by the way has been on "backorder" for more than 18 months cause I've been calling on it since 10/2012. I have researched and apparently this is an ongoing issue with this vehicle, there are over 200 of the 420 complaints on this site about this very issue and thousands more online, yet there has not even been an investigation? I guess the NHTSA is not as concerned about safety as they claim to be! there needs to be a recall done for this model and the years affected for the faulty part that's going to end up with someone seriously injured or dead!

- Fruitvale, TX, USA

May 262014

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

As I was driving home from the store this morning, I was taking a turn onto my street when the engine shut off and I lost power steering and brakes. I was barely able to muscle the steering wheel to complete the rest of the turn and avoid hitting another car that was turning to go the way that I was coming from. The lady in the other car was looking at me in fear with her arms raised like "what are you doing!?" I tried to turn the engine on several times with no luck as I coasted down my street forcefully pumping the brakes to slow down and stop in front of my house. Once I took the key out of the ignition and tried to restart the engine, it started. I did some research on the internet and this seems to be a problem with other models as well. There is even a recall on Dodge Grand Caravan that were manufactured from 3 August 2009 to 17 June 2010 for this exact problem. I have read on this website and many others that this issue exists outside these dates though and that the Dodge company is not doing anything. I have not consulted with my dealership yet but I am hopeful because they seem to be great people. Whatever the case, I do not feel safe having my wife drive my children around. I do not feel as if she would be able to muscle the steering wheel without power steering during a turn in the event that the car turned off in the middle of a turn as it did to me. This is a huge safety issue and there should be a recall issued to encompass all the years that are affected and not just the ones where people have been killed.

- Lake Stevens, WA, USA

May 152014

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

While driving at low speeds the vehicle loses power and shuts off resuling in loss of power steering making manuevering and controlling vehicle difficult. Mechanics unable to diagnose problem. Have driven and experienced problem but have no solution.

- Richmond, VA, USA

May 052014

Grand Caravan

Wife was driving around 40 mph when traction control light came on and she lost power steering and brakes. She was finally able to stop in the middle of the intersection, luckily there was no car coming. She then turned the van off and restarted and everything was fine. She said she is never driving it again because it is unsafe. Last year we had the tipm replaced after the seemingly common problem of horn honking, windshield wipers going and solvent spraying randomly several times. Not sure how Chrysler can get away with having all of these life endangering issues without having recalls and fixing them. But what I do know is we will never buy a Chrysler product again.

- Burt, MI, USA

Feb 112014

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

The vehicle displays steering esp bas brake ABS and the esp symbol will illuminate. A 2008 Dodge Grand Caravan while driving 10 mph, the esp and traction control warning lamp was illuminated. That immediately after the brakes engaged independently. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, but the dealer wanted to charge for diagnostics and replace steering sensor. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileage is 129,700.

- Warner Robins, GA, USA

Dec 122012

Grand Caravan

On numerous occasions my 2008 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT will shut down unexpectedly while driving. Plugs, wires and battery have been changed. Win module has been changed at my request and not covered under warranty. The vehicle has been to the dealership numerous times and they have been able to find anything because no codes have been thrown. I replaced the fob recently thinking the key my be worn out but that has not improved the situation. Dodge is aware of the issue but refuse to do anything about it until I guess someone id killed. Thanks Dodge.

- Cedar Hill , MO, USA

Apr 012013

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

While driving, I lost the steering and all power. With what forward momentum the car had and muscle, I was able to pull over. Once I put the car back in park, I was able to restart it and it ran fine. Since that time, this has happened on three additional occasions again in August 2013 and most recently, it happened twice within a 2 minute time period this past week. During these past 2 incidences, I can say for sure that the traction light also came on. After having a diagnostic done on the car in both August and this week, it showed "no codes". the service dealer claims to be stuck at this point and Dodge is offering no solutions and not admitting they have heard this complaint before.

- Norton, MA, USA

Mar 052014

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

I opened the driver side manual sliding door and then the horn started to blow constantly, the front and rear windshield wipers turned on, the hazard lights flashed, the reverse lights were on, the instrument panel had many warning lights on including a red dot on the bottom. I tried to hit my car alarm button to see if it would make it stop and it didn't. I closed the door as my son ran into the house and then all the doors locked. I had to use the valet key to open the door. I then pulled the hood release and opened the hood. The radiator fan was also on. I disconnected the battery so the horn would stop blowing. I waited about 20 minutes and went back outside and reconnected the battery and it did the same thing again. This time I tried starting the car and it started however it would not allow me to put it into gear. I tried to turn the engine off but it would not let me. I got out and then I removed the fuses to the horn so the noise would not disturb me or the neighbors. A few minutes later I got back into the car and it let me put it in reverse so I pulled the van out of our garage and into the driveway but the power steering did not work. I tried again to turn the engine off but it would not stop. I even moved the key to the off position and removed the key from the ignition and the engine continued to run. I disconnected the battery again but the engine continued to run as did the wipers and hazard lights. After about 10 minutes the engine finally shut off. This same type of incident happened before to us in 2012. See videos I took with my cell phone here youtu.be/yofejj5hfz8 youtu.be/H0ufsviu0ve youtu.be/jewqwffz73G youtu.be/P1N1cwqivy0.

- Brunswick, GA, USA

Dec 022013

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

While driving, the engine stalled. My wife had to pull over while turning to restart the van. This happens intermittently. This issue happens weather the engine is cold or warmed up. When the van stalls, an engine light comes on. The light goes off after a few days. My mechanic can't find the problem. I see that Chrysler had a recall for their 2010 models because of an ignition switch issue. This is a very serious issue. My wife is afraid to drive the van because she doesn't know when the van will stall and loose all power. This is serious because when the van stalls, she looses all power steering. My wife has to try to put the van into neutral to get it started while driving and or turning the vehicle. This model year van has no recalls from Dodge for this issue. What am I to do. I do not want to wait for an accident to happen before someone fixes this issue. I have read the chat forums, and many people are frustrated because there are no solutions to this problem.

- Lemont, IL, USA

May 182012

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

While driving down the road the car loses complete power--steering, brakes. Electronic stability/traction control light comes on. Very scary/dangerous situation. I am usually able wrestle it to side of road without any power steering or power brakes. After getting the van to a stop and shutting off the ignition, the van will fire right up and not have any problems for a few days. Then it happens again. I have had it in the shop numerous times to try and diagnosis. No luck.....I've replaced batteries, wheel bearings, you name it. Any advice"????"

- Terre Haute, IN, USA

Nov 192012

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

Driving the vehicle on a residential street. Engine quit suddenly and unexpectedly. Steering and brakes failed. Vehicle went off the road, over the curb and came to a stop. No property damage or bodily harm. If we had been traveling at highway speeds, fear of death would have been a real concern. The engine would not start for approximately a minute after the incident. Engine finally started and the vehicle was taken to a Dodge dealership. Diagnosed as a 'bad win module' (wireless ignition node). The technician actually guessed the problem was the win module before diagnosing the problem. He said it was a 'fairly common problem'. an online investigation revealed this part has a recall associated with it in the 2010 Dodge Grand Caravan (our Dodge Grand Caravan is a 2008). The reason I am writing the NHTSA is the newly replaced win module is clearly a redesigned part. It looks and functions differently than the old, faulty win module. If Dodge redesigned the part, they must have assumed the earlier design was defective in some way. To justify the need for a redesign, there had to be some driving factor like improved safety. It is my belief that this defect had the real potential of causing death and I am requesting the NHTSA investigate this matter. Am I the first to have lodged a complaint regarding this part? thank you for your time and attention. I look forward to your response.

- Dandridge, TN, USA

Sep 042012

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

While driving to the market my wife experienced a sudden shudder in the steering/brakes pulling the vehicle out of the driving lane towards the shoulder. She brought the vehicle to a stop of the shoulder. She noticed the esp/bas warning light and the slippery road/traction control warning light had both activated on the dash/instrument panel. We brought the vehicle to the dealer who informed us the steering angle/clockspring sensor which activates the drivers airbag had failed and needs replacement. According to the dealer the item is not covered under warranty and repair would cost a total of $508. Dodge recalled Caravan 1996-2000 for a similar issue. We have already had to replace all the brakes, for what was termed premature whereout, at approx 22,000 miles. We had to replace the electronic keys which both crumbled after the 3rd year. What's next"??" any help in this situation would be much appreciated.

- Houma, LA, USA

Sep 192011

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

Driving about 60mph with three kids in car when key switched to off position. Steering hard until I switched the car into neutral and restarted it. The key had done this once before in park and once while driving aprox 20mph on a dirt rd.

- Washington Township, MI, USA

Feb 112011

Grand Caravan

The contact owns a 2008 Dodge Grand Caravan. The contact was driving approximately 5 mph and exiting a residential driveway, when the power steering failed, the steering wheel became abnormally stiff. There was also an unusual loss of power steering liquid leaking from the vehicle. The vehicle was towed to an authorized dealer but had not yet been repaired. The failure and current mileage was 45,508.

- Port Matilda, PA, USA

Oct 032010

Grand Caravan

The contact owns a 2008 Dodge Grand Caravan. While driving approximately 65 mph, she noticed that the tire blew out. The vehicle was taken to a local mechanic who informed her that the tie rod was worn and needed to be replaced. The local private replaced all four tie rods. The dealer informed the contact that there were no related recalls and did not offer any additional assistance. The manufacturer advised her to call NHTSA and file a complaint. The current mileage was 56,675 and the failure mileage was 52,147.

- Indianapolis, IN, USA

Mar 312008

Grand Caravan

I purchased this vehicle on March 31, 2008 and have had it for 2 years. We were headed out of town on vacation and had to stop at 2 different dealerships a long the way for them to try to correct the pulling. Neither one could correct the problem. In the 2 year time it has been back in forth to the dealership service dept several times for it pulling to the right and eating the front edge of every tire that has been put on the front. Tires have been rotated regularly and crossed and still has the outside tire wear from the pull. Cam bolts have been installed by the dealer to help correct the alignment with no results. It still pulls. I have filed a lemon law complaint with Chrysler who has performed the final repair attempt and it still pulls. I have took it to 2 local tire alignment shops here and both have said the alignment can't be fixed. Chrysler's position is that the vehicle drives as designed and no further action will transpire. I don't understand how a vehicle can be designed to immediately pull off the road to the right if you let go of the steering wheel. It is not a drift to the right. A drift doesn't eat tires from what I understand. My hand actually falls asleep while trying to drive the van for long distances because you have to fight to keep the van on the road. We have driven 2 other Chrysler vans for comparison purposes and they pull to the right as well but not to the extent of my van. I am still in the lemon law process and don't know if I will get anywhere with Chrysler but someone needs to check the steering and alignment of this make and model. You should not have to fight the vehicle in order to keep it on the road. This issue has made me despise this van and it was perfect for a family with 3 kids. Bad safety hazard and Chrysler should be made to correct the issue and not just play god with the final statement of "this vehicle performs as designed".

- Doerun, GA, USA