8.9

$3,748.00

1. rebuild transmission (5 reports)
  2. replace with new transmission (3 reports)
  4. software update (1 reports)
  5. traded at a loss (1 reports)
2008 Dodge Grand Caravan transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Dodge Grand Caravan:

2008 Dodge Grand Caravan Owner Comments

Aug 172012

Grand Caravan SXT 3.6L V6?

The transmission started slamming into gear in both reverse and first. We took the van into the local dealership hoping it would be covered by warrantee or recall (no luck there). After waiting Three weeks for a technician to look at it, we were informed there was a significant amount of metal in the transmission oil pan. The transmission essentially was grinding itself to pieces. The two repair options were to have the transmission rebuilt or to replace it. We opted to replace it not only due to a longer warranty on the repair but also because the estimate on the rebuild depended on if there was any other damage internally.

I have been driving Grand Caravans for 18 years. This is our 4th and last Dodge product. Our 2001 GC is still running fine with only routine maintenance. I don't know what has happened at Chrysler but the quality of their products has declined significantly over the last decade.

- , Hobbs, NM, USA

May 082012

Grand Caravan 4.0L

Driving home and heard grinding noise from front end. Took van to dealership purchased and they requested to have flat bed towed to transmission shop and have transmission pulled. Called Chrysler and file complaint immediatley (fees from dealership for diagnostic testing $50.00). They said for any Chrysler assistance (b/c warrenty had expired) it had to be at a Chrysler dealer. Had van flat bed towed (cost $100.00) to Chryster dealer and they pulled and confirmed transmission was shot. Dealer rebuilt transmission (per Chrysler and dealer you can not purchase a new trans. for this van and must be rebuilt) total cost of rebuilt expenses was $5,000.00. Chrysler company assisted in paying 40% of total rebuit expenses. Dealership assisted in paying 50% of remaining 60% due and other 50% was our responsibility. Total rebuilt out of pocket for us was $1,908.00. If I was not smart and did not contact Chrysler immediately this would have cost us $5K! Although the $2K bill was still a shocker for a van with only 50K miles and 2008 model year my husband and I go to be knowing it could have been $5K!.

- , Quakertown, PA, USA

Sep 012011

Grand Caravan V6

• CVT transmission

I have a 2008 Dodge Grand Caravan that has only 52,000 miles on it and the damn transmission went out and i am just wondering why there is not a recall on them because i am not the only who has had problems with the transmission and i was told by several mechanics that that year model is the worse for transmission problems it just erkks me becasue i have to pay out of pocket for the reapirs because the warranty on them suck ass

- , Lebanon, VA, USA

Sep 012010

Grand Caravan SXT 3.8L

No help from Crysler at all! No transmission should fail at this mileage & NO help from manufacturer. Sign of POOR quality and COMPLETE disregard for customer! Traded vehicle instead of fixing.

- , Belleview, FL, USA

Nov 182009

Grand Caravan SXT 3.8L

tried to say it was a computer issue and ran scanner on it; we drove it off the lot, still making grinding noise, so drove it right back to get the transmission replaced

- , Sistersville, WV, USA

Dec 312009

Grand Caravan SXT 3.6L

there was nothing but hamburger in the transmission pan. Dealer said it was the worst he had ever seen. Every Chrysler product I have owned ( 6 of them ) has had to replace the transmission. Why do I torture myself?

- , Cincinnati, OH, USA

May 202010

Grand Caravan SXT 3.8L V6

how in the world does a vehicle less than 2 years old blow a transmission? total failure adding the cost of repairs, parts, and labor of the transmission to the cost. almost $30,000. that is cost of luxury sedan. why in the world should i have to pay for this. no covered under warranty, dodge won't respond.

- , Sykesville, MD, USA

Aug 042009

Grand Caravan SLT 3.8L

HAD A WHINE BETWEEN 2ND AND 3RD SHIFTTHEY SAID IT WAS A TRANSFER BEARING, WHICH TOOK THREE WEEKS TO GET, BUT I WAS STILL USING THE VAN. THEY CALLED AND SAID THE PART WAS IN, AND I TOOK IT TO THEM. FIVE DAYS LATER THEY SAID IT DIDN'T FIX IT AND HAD TO ORDER MORE PARTS. THEY CALLED AND SAID PARTS WERN'T AVAILABLE. AFTER SOME NASTY WORDS THE AGREED TO REPLACE THE TRANSMISSION. AFTER A TOTAL OF 51 DAYS I HAVE NY VAN BACK AND IT WORKS FINE. KIA IS LOOKING BETTER AND BETTER. OH BY THE WAY IT NEED FRONT BRAKES AND ROTORS WHICH I WILL DO.

- , Port Orange, FL, USA

Aug 022009

Grand Caravan SXT 4.0L

Total transmission failure without prior warning - had to have the vehicle towed. 2008 6 speed automatic seems to be the problem. Could take 2 months to repair. No replacement transmission available according to dealer.

Very Concerned.

- , Salem, VA, USA

Jul 072009

Grand Caravan SXT 4.0L

At 13 months old, (26k miles) ((several trips tp Ohio)) came to a stop light and vehicle started a heavy rattle and jerked as I stopped. when light changed to green vehicle failed to move. was able to re-start vehicle and get off road, but with nasty rattle and severe jerking. (luckily only had to go 30 feet to gravel spot on side of road) vehicle was towed to nearest dealer and I left in rental car at my expense. was told they expect to have it back to me that evening. received call that something BROKE loose inside transmission and it requires full replacement. but transmission is backordered with no date of available. told I could be out of a vehicle for some time. (not sure if this is due to transmission problems, or if they are having issues getting parts since they filed bankruptcy?? I am very upset and working with Chrysler to get loaner or rental since I am expecting a long wait before getting my Caravan back anytime soon.

- , Virginia Beach, VA, USA

Jun 032009

Grand Caravan 3.8L

Transmission having to be rebuilt at 40,000 miles, under lifetime powertrain warranty

Update from Mar 12, 2010: Transmission started slipping at about 61,000 miles so had to go to dealer to do an update to computer.

- , Maple Hill, KS, USA