2009 Dodge Grand Caravan electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Dodge Grand Caravan:

2009 Dodge Grand Caravan Owner Comments (Page 14 of 15)

Nov 112014

Grand Caravan

The contact owns a 2009 Dodge Grand Caravan. The contact received a notice for NHTSA campaign id number: 14V373000 (electrical system) and stated that the part needed to perform the repairs was unavailable. The manufacturer was notified of delay. The contact had not experienced the failure.

- Crimora, VA, USA

Nov 112014

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

I received a safety recall on my Caravan, in June 2014, it says this was a safety recall, as of this morning Tuesday 11 am November 11, 2014. I have heard nothing from chryaler, and nothing from the dealer. I called the dealer, the service department has no idea when they will receive "any parts" for this recall, I said this was unsatisfactory since it has been almost 5 months, the service department transferred me to the parts department, and the parts department said they have not recieved "any" parts for this recall, and had no idea when they would!. the recall notice stated if I had concerns which the dealer was unable to resolve, I should call their Chrysler group recall assistance center at 800-853-1403. I also called this number and was told they "also have no idea when parts will be available for this recall". I told them this was completely unsatisfactory, since I drive with children much of the week, and since the recall is almost 5 months old I want action. They took my mailing and email address, and said they will email me when parts are available. This also is absolutely unsatisfactory for a "safety recall" this is a "safety" issue"???? evidently Chrysler and possibly NHTSA??" do not think it is, please advise.

- North Royalton, OH, USA

Nov 052013

Grand Caravan

The contact owns a 2009 Dodge Grand Caravan. The contact received a notification for NHTSA campaign id number: 14V373000 (electrical system) and stated that the part was not available. The dealer was unable to provide a specific date for when the part would become available. The manufacturer was contacted and could not provide an estimated date for when the vehicle would receive the recall repair. The contact did not experience a failure.

- Atoona, IA, USA

Jul 072014

Grand Caravan

The contact owns a 2009 Dodge Grand Caravan. The contact stated that the vehicle stalled on several occasions. The dealer was notified of the failure several times. The contact received a notification for NHTSA campaign id number: 14V373000 (electrical system). However, the parts were not available. The dealer was unable to provide a specific date for when the parts would become available. The manufacturer was contacted and was unable to provide an estimated date for when the vehicle would receive the recall repairs. The contact was not experiencing a failure.

- Warren, MI, USA

Sep 022014

Grand Caravan

The contact owns a 2009 Dodge Grand Caravan. The contact received a notification for NHTSA campaign number: 14V373000 (electrical system). The contact stated that the part needed to remedy the vehicle was unavailable. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Cape Coral , FL, USA

Jul 232013

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

Am having the exact same issue as the K14 recall. But am being told that is only for power doors. Last year I changed a new the sliding door wiring harness but still am having the same issue, by opening and closing the door it broke the censor clip and then broke the plastic cover on top of wire know the wire is being damaged my front windows are not working the air bag sensor not working. And that exactly because of the hinge which is breaking the plastic cover while ur sliding the doors.

- Grove City, OH, USA

Sep 192014

Grand Caravan

The contact owns a 2009 Dodge Grand Caravan. The contact stated while driving approximately 70 mph, the ignition key turned from drive to the accessory mode independently. The failure recurred two times. The contact received a notification for recall NHTSA campaign number: 14V373000 (electrical system). However, the parts needed were not available to perform the repairs. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 64,000.

- Clarksville, TN, USA

Sep 242014

Grand Caravan

The contact owns a 2009 Dodge Grand Caravan. The contact received a recall notification for NHTSA campaign number: 14V373000 (electrical system); however, the part needed to repair the vehicle was unavailable. The manufacturer was not notified. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Zion , IL, USA

Jun 092014

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

When the vehicle is cold, and after I start driving, if I do no have my foot on the accelerator, the engine will just die. When it does, there are no warning lights go on and the steering becomes completely unresponsive. I must quickly put the car in neutral and start it again. It can happen multiple times before the engine warms up. It can just happen going down the road. I have had it to the dealer and another auto repair place and neither can figure out what is wrong. This happens quit often.

- Solsberry, IN, USA

Aug 112011

Grand Caravan

My van turns off while driving it numerous times since this date. It also wont start at times and I am stranded anywhere from five to 30 minutes.power steering gets stuck sometimes and when braking at high speeds the whole car shakes.

- Pinole, CA, USA

Jul 312014

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

While driving on the fwy my van turned off. It was after driving over a part of the freeway that seemed to have a dip. My gauges went to "0" & I felt a loss of power. I turned the key fob in the ignition & it seemed to start back up. The gauges went to the max and all warning lights flashed red as my car does when I initially start it. On 8/11/14 I was exiting a driveway, the same thing happened crossing a 2 lane road. I didn't turn the key fob this time as my van turned off & then back on by itself. I dropped my van off to have it checked out, but they didn't find a recall on anything with the ignition or engine turning off. I looked up the info & found recall code L25 describing exactly what was happening. I spoke to a rep named crystal at the recall phone number given & she confirmed my vehicle will be included in the recall & notices will be going out as they just updated the notice this morning. Since the recall was just updated, I have to pay for the inspection on the wireless ignition node, keep all work orders & receipts, wait for the recall notice & get reimbursed because this is dangerous. I have to borrow the $ as I cannot run the risk of driving my 3 kids around & have an accident. I am also having a problem with my engine running hard, sounding like marbles are rattling against metal as I accelerate & it making a glug glug sound & running hard. I just paid $412 to replace my calipers & brake pads as they were not releasing & caused the brake pads to crumble (replaced 2 weeks prior) & as I was braking it sounded like metal scraping against metal. This was due to the friction and heat from the calipers not releasing. Luckily my rotors weren't warped (also brand new & placed 2 weeks prior). My vehicle has 57,576 miles & I keep up the maintenance on it as well.. this is very concerning. Never had issues like this on a vehicle with less than 100,000 miles.

- Oceanside, CA, USA

Jul 152014

Grand Caravan

The contact owns a 2009 Dodge Grand Caravan. While driving over a bump at approximately 35 mph, the vehicle stalled. The contact had to shift the gear into park in order to restart the vehicle. The failure occurred many times after driving over jarring road conditions. The manufacturer stated that the VIN was excluded from NHTSA campaign number: 14V373000 (electrical system). The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 100,000.

- Murfreesboro, TN, USA

Jul 012013

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

Last year wife was driving vehicle on highway during vacation. Power was lost and vehicle would not steer or break. Vehicle was difficult to restart as ignition turned over then shut off again. Very fortunate there was no accident. This has since recurred twice, once while coming to a stop at a red light, and another while existing a parking garage. Also, vehicle constantly needs to be started twice, does not always stay powered up after initial ignition. Did not think of filing a NHTSA complaint at the time, but with the acknowledgement of ignition problems from Chrysler, wanted to make sure I got this logged.

- Hilliard, OH, USA

Jun 282014

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

Vehicle shut off while in motion; including locked steering wheel with full system shut off.

- Brooklyn, NY, USA

Jul 102012

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2009 Dodge Grand Caravan. While driving 20 mph, there was a sudden loss of engine power and the electronic throttle control warning indicator illuminated. The dealer was unable to duplicate the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer stated that the VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V373000 (electrical system). The failure mileage was 50,000. Updated 09/02/14

- Lemont, IL, USA

Apr 152014

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

The problem is that the ignition accidentally switched from the "run" position to "accessory" causing the engine to shut off. This happened while in a parking lot. Since then it has happened multiple times--once as I was backing out of my driveway and once while pulling into traffic on a busy street. This could have caused a serious accident, but fortunately this time it didn't--as there were no cars coming. Vehicles built a few months after mine have had a recall for this error. I believe that the recall should be expanded.

- Grand Rapids, MI, USA

Feb 182014

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

At 65 mph on a smooth 4 lane highway with cruize control on all electrical, including the dash instrumentation, suddenly went out and van began slowing down; then the dash idiot lights flickered for a milli-second and power returned with the van /engine running; then after a few hundred yards, it repeated the failure and stayed on. The next day I had the dealer replace the battery; they had never heard of such a problem but I found many similar ones in an inter-net search of "car problems". I no longer can trust the vehicle. It sounds just like the problem with the electrical/ignition reported this month in some GM products. Very dangerous!!

- Waconia, MN, USA

Sep 142013

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

All the dash lights / electronics go off and come back on intermittently along with the windshield wipers turning on and off at the same time. The power doors do not work reliably either as they have closed randomly while open. It's very distracting while driving and we feel it puts us at risk of an accident, or worse, when it occurs. Dealership has problems diagnosing it do to the intermittent nature, but can pull off bunches of codes, when hooked up to their scan tool. However, none of the error codes point to what caused the problem, just that a problem has occurred. They replaced the tpim module, but that did not fix the problem and they have pretty much given up..

- Lexington, KY, USA

Aug 072013

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

Car shut off ignition switch went from run to accessory. Multiple occurrences ranging for 30 feet to about 1/2 mile out of driveway. Occurrences were always after first starting up. I had a heavy key chain with a leatherman micro attached. I removed the leatherman, and disconnected the battery and sprayed silicone in ignition switch and cycled multiple times. I have not had an occurrence since. I did notice that the 2010 was recalled for the same exact problem I was experiencing. Reference recall is pasted below. This is also the exact same problem as the recent GM recall. Recall date: Mar 01, 2011 model affected: 2010 Dodge Grand Caravan summary: Chrysler is recalling certain model year 2010 Dodge journey, Grand Caravan, and Chrysler Town & Country vehicles manufacturer from August 3, 2009, through June 17, 2010. Some vehicles may experience inadvertent ignition key displacement from the run to accessory position while driving causing the engine to shut off. Consequence: Engine shut off while driving could increase the risk of a crash. Remedy: Dealers will replace the win modules free of charge. The safety recall is expected to begin during July 2011. Owners may contact Chrysler at 1-800-853-1403. Potential units affected: 195798 notes: Chrysler group llc L02 & L25.

- Clarkston, MI, USA

Apr 012011

Grand Caravan

The contact owns a 2009 Dodge Grand Caravan. The contact stated that while traveling various speeds, the vehicle suddenly stalled and failed to restart. The contact also mentioned that none of the electrical components functioned during the failure and the failure recurred intermittently. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the failure could not be replicated. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was contacted about the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 40,000.

- Clinton, MD, USA