2.8

2009 Dodge Grand Caravan wheels / hubs problems

wheels / hubs problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Dodge Grand Caravan:

2009 Dodge Grand Caravan Owner Comments

Aug 082014

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

While driving the TPMS warning light came on. At our earliest convenience we stopped at a service station to check the tires. I checked and/or added air to 3 of the tires, when I went to remove the valve stem cap on the 4th tire, the end of the valve stem broke off in my hand. Thankfully the break occurred on the outer portion of the stem so the needle valve is still in place and the tire still holds air. However I'm no longer able to check or add air to this tire. The metal on the valve stem appeared to be very corroded. Keep in mind this is on a van that is parked in a garage most of the time and not exposed to the elements as much as most other vehicles.

- Brookhaven, PA, USA

Mar 202014

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

While operating our 2009 Dodge Grand Caravan SE at approximately 30 mph the rear drivers side tire's valve stem on the tire failed (occurred approximately 45 seconds after concluding highway driving). The nut holding the valve stem on appears to have broken causing the sensor to fall into the tire and resulted in the tire deflating immediately. This is the third sensor failure on the vehicle. Fortunately the first two occurred when the vehicle was stationary - airing up tires caused the stems to break in half. A call to the general Dodge customer service stated that they had never heard of this issue occurring. A call to my dealership stated that they replace the TPMS sensors "everyday" due to failures and then proceeded to quote me $200+ for a sensor replacement which included "programming" the sensor which isn't even necessary on this vehicle. Dodge dealership had stated that several other vehicles in their lineup have switched over to TPMS sensors using rubber valve stems. These are not available for our year Grand Caravan.

- West Boylston, MA, USA

Feb 252014

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

On two occasions in past three weeks. The TPMS valve stems snapped off, resulting in the immediate deflation of a tire. Both incidents occurred while vehicle was being operated at low speeds (under 10 miles/hour).

- Teaneck, NJ, USA

Sep 142013

Grand Caravan

Low tire pressure light came on while driving 70 mph pulled over to check tire while checking the tire pressure in tire the TPMS sensor/valve stem broke causing all of the air to escape from the tire.

- Marion, IA, USA

Jul 022013

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

On July 2, 2013 the tire pressure light went on. I went to put air in the driver's side front tire. The valve stem broke off resulting in a flat tire. I had the valve stem replaced at a cost of $140. On August 20, 2013 the light came back on again. I took it back to good year. They told me the two valve stems on the passenger wheels, front/back were very corroded. They did manage to fill both tires for me. The light went off. Two days later, the light came on again. I went to fill the tires and the one valve stem broke off, another flat tire! put on the spare, drove home, called around and had to take it in to be fixed again. $700 later, 4 new tires, another TPMS replaced, and an alignment. Two valve stem are still iffy, but they said they sealed okay........ I am nervous about allowing my wife and three small children to ride in this car with two more corroded valve stems. Who knows if they will pop off and cause an accident. I'm seeing other people have had the same problems. I believe a recall should be made to have this problem corrected. ~thank you

- Penfield, NY, USA

Jun 072013

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

Valve stem broke on front drivers side tire after parking it in the driveway. Tire went flat and had to replace valve stem, 1 month later the passenger front valve stem broke driving on the highway causing the tire to immediately go flat. Resulting in replacing tire and valve stem.

- Stewartstown, PA, USA

Sep 072011

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2009 Dodge Grand Caravan. The contact stated that the tire continuously deflated. The contact mentioned that while inspecting the vehicle, he noticed that the tire valve stem was corroded. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who confirmed the failure and advised that the valve stems needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was repaired. The failure mileage was 30,000 and the current mileage was 50,000. Updated 12/27/12 the consumer stated the aluminum valve stem locking nut corroded, cracked and disentagrated. The valve blew out causeing the tire to deflate when driving. Updated 1/14/2013

- Somerset, WI, USA

Sep 062012

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

Almost to work in my 2009 Dodge Grand Caravan which is approximately a one hour drive and light sensor came on in car. Once got to work noticed rear driver side tire air low. At lunch tried to fill with air but could not because the was valve going into the tire. Took to tire repair shop where they informed me that tire sensor cap was missing. They could not tell me why or how that would happen. They had to replace entire sensor at a cost of $130. Then 3 days later tire light came on again and this time front passenger tire was low. Looked at tire sensor cap and notice it was cracked, corroded and piece missing from cap. Looked at other two caps and they are both cracked and corroded. So that explains why first cap was missing - it corroded and fell off. So now remaining 3 sensors need to be replaced. Took to dealer but was told not covered under my extended warranty. Seems to me if all 4 sensor caps are cracked, corroded and falling off there is a defect and a recall should be done. Luckily I did not have the air leak quickly from the tire nor did it cause an accident but it easily could have.

- Middletown, NY, USA

Jul 012011

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

Tire pressure sensor was on. Tire pressure was fine. One tire started a slow leak, brought it to mechanic. Values have corroded, one fell in the tire. All the sensors had to be replaced.

- Herndon, VA, USA

Feb 162011

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2009 Dodge Grand Caravan. The contact stated that two of the valve stems deteriorated and caused the cap to fracture from the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to a local repair station where the first valve stem was replaced February 2011. The second failure occurred on April 2011 and the second valve stem was repaired at the same repair station. The contact called an authorized dealer who offered no assistance. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The current mileage was approximately 49,000 and the failure mileage was approximately 47,000. Updated 06/17/11 the consumer stated the valve stems were corroded. Updated 08/04/11

- Carroll, IA, USA

Apr 122010

Grand Caravan

April 12th I had the oil change in my 2009 Dodge Caravan at valvoline. As I was driving home my low light indicator came on. I checked the air pressure and they were all fine. I am in sales and do a great deal of travel in this Caravan in the minneapolis area. I could feel the van pulling harder and harder to the right. When I pull in to the parking lot, the right front tire was low. The air valve blow out and complete deflated the tire. If I would have been driving, who knows what could have happened. I got the tire changed and brought the car to Goodyear. I was telling me co worker about this and she has had the same thing happen to her 2009.

- Champlin, MN, USA