2010 Dodge Grand Caravan electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Dodge Grand Caravan:

2010 Dodge Grand Caravan Owner Comments (Page 18 of 20)

Aug 112013

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

Vehicle won't start. Makes electronic clicking noises and lights and won't stop. Battery is good. Odometer reading flashes also.

- Barksdale Afb, LA, USA

Jul 132013

Grand Caravan

TL- the contact owns a 2010 Dodge Grand Caravan. The contact stated that they took the vehicle to the dealer for NHTSA recall campaign id number:11V139(electrical system) for the replacement of the win module on the vehicle. The contact stated that that repair failed and the manufacturer would not replace it a second time. The current mileage was 51,000.rl

- Elgin, IL, USA

Feb 102013

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2010 Dodge Grand Caravan. The contact stated that while driving approximately 20 mph, the vehicle stalled. The failure recurred three times. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnosis. The technician stated that the vehicle was included in NHTSA campaign number: 11V139000 (electrical system). The vehicle was service per the recall however, the failure continued. The win module was replaced a second time but to no avail. The technician was unable to diagnose the failure. The manufacturer was made aware of the problem. The vehicle was not further repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 32,000.

- Jacksonville Beach, FL, USA

Feb 202013

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

Vehicle was sold to customer without recall NHTSA 11V-139 being installed in Nov 2011. Customer never notified; however, the vehicle had a window switch failure in Feb 2012 at about 60K miles at which time the dealer used L25 instead of a complete win module replacement. Custumer was not told of the replacement and it was not reported to carfax or other entities. May 13, 2013 after a distance trip, custumer parked the vehicle for 2 minutes. When attempting restart the vehicle had power but would not start and shifter was locked. Diagnosis shows full failure of the win module. The L25 recommended partial replacement did not prevent failure. Even though no accident occurred, customer was travelling from md to va and shutdown could have occurred on highway 301 or I95. Upon confronting the dealer, dealer stated that they do not have to disclose the recall or have to perform the work even though the dealer service instructions on July 2011 stated that the dealer must complete the recall before retail delivery. Consequently, this vehicle was one of the ones that needed a full replacement and not a partial.

- Mckenney, VA, USA

Apr 262013

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

The distance was about 35 miles from our home, bout 45 minutes drive. Driver didn't notice anything wrong with the engine or see any warning lights. The car was swaying like on a windy day, another car honked at us, then we heard loud road noise. We pulled over and turned off the engine. Saw the rear passenger tire was flat to the rim. Noticed a smoky smell. Saw little puffs of white smoke coming from under the hood. To be safe we removed children from the car; two 4 yr old children were in the backseat buckled in their car-seats. Infant was in the middle drivers side seat buckled in his car seat. Driver and car owner were in the front. Keys were removed from the ignition. We walked away from the vehicle, waited at the fence-line away from the vehicle while calling for a tow. Smoke appeared to have stopped for about 5 minutes. Suddenly black smoke started pouring out of the engine, embers dropping to the road from under the front of the car. We moved the children further away from the vehicle. Several truckers pulled over and brought fire extinguishers. One opened the hood flames flared up the fire truck arrived after the fire had been extinguished. One said the fire appeared to have started in the fan. The chp officer said the firefighters would disconnect the battery. When we looked at the inside of the front of the car everything was burnt and melted, the hood was buckled, front grill melted. The fire was extinguished before the rest of the car was damaged.

- Carmichael, CA, USA

Apr 302013

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2010 Dodge Grand Caravan. The contact stated that there was a separate plastic key to start the vehicle which was fractured on one side. The contact stated that after the vehicle was parked and attempted to shut off the vehicle, the vehicle failed to turn off. The ignition remained seized on the acc mode. The contact restarted vehicle in order to unlock the ignition and turn vehicle off. The vehicle was not taken to a repair shop or the dealer for a diagnostic test. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure but provided no further assistance. The failure mileage was 58,000. The current mileage was 58,800.

- Portage , MI, USA

Jan 212013

Grand Caravan

The contact owns a 2010 Dodge Grand Caravan. The contact stated that while driving approximately 35 mph the vehicle stalled without warning. The failure recurred five times intermittently. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnostic testing. The technician was unable to duplicate or diagnose the failure. The contact referenced NHTSA campaign number: 11V139000 (electrical system) but was advised by the manufacturer that the VIN was not included in the recall. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 27,500.

- Ford Gratiot, MI, USA

Jan 312013

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

Jan 31, 2:00pm I parked the vehicle to pick my son up from pre-school. After securing my children to their respective car seats, I buckled myself in and proceeded to start the engine, the vehicle's engine would not start. Strong electrical-smelling fumes were emitted and the etc light came on. We had the vehicle towed to a Jeep, Dodge, & Chrysler dealership for servicing for 5 days. The service tech insisted that nothing was detected aside from slight corrosion in the battery plugs, which needed to be replaced. We did what was advised and took our vehicle back on Feb 6. Feb 13, 9:45am after making a quick stop at a grocery store, the same problem occurred. The vehicle engine would not start, but the radio was coming on. I turned off the vehicle and proceeded to restart the vehicle. Once again the etc light came on and this time, white smoke was coming out from under the hood. After seeing the smoke, I quickly turned off the vehicle and took my child out. Our vehicle is now stranded in the parking lot of a grocery store waiting to be towed to the same dealership.

- Missouri City, TX, USA

Dec 262012

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

I was driving down the express way at 75 mph and the car completely shut off. The car died and everything shut off (lights, heating, engine) I was able to coast to the side of the express way. I calmed myself down and started the car up again and drove home. The ignition ring recall was already replaced back in 2011 before we owned the van. We had a 2nd incident that happened on February 6th. This time I was driving in a parking lot and it died again. I turned on my hazards and started the van again and it started right up.

- Round Lake Park, IL, USA

Sep 282012

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

Driving on interstate I-90 when I lost power to wipers, turn signals, radio, power windows. I took the van back to the Dodge dealer since they had fixed the wireless ignition module under a recall notice in August of 2010. I was told to touch the key and the power would return which it did do.I was also told that the problem of the key turning off the engine was fixed under the recall but they now have this problem. Since first reporting the problem in October this has occurred more frequently.

- Erie, PA, USA

Dec 062012

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

When driving on the freeway at night the headlights suddenly shut off they would not come back on, neither the headlights or the high beams would work, I put the hazard lights on and got off the road, after that the headlights blinked when turned on and then would not come on at all, after that they came on and then shut back off again while driving on city streets, the headlights turn off while driving or do not turn on at all.

- San Jose , CA, USA

Nov 012012

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

2010 Dodge Grand Caravan. Consumer writes in regards to vehicle shutdown while driving. Shortly after the vehicle was purchased, the vehicle would fully shutdown; engine off, radio off, power locks disabled, windshield wipes off etc. The vehicle was taken to the dealer several times, only to get the vehicle back, with the problem still present.

- Cumming, GA, USA

Sep 252012

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

The car shifts hard. When first started in the morning it ruins up high prm's before the car shifts. The car transmission sometimes fails to engage when I attempt to pass a car on the highway or when I just want to speed up. This can happen when I am going 30 mph or 60 mph. It happens at random times. Recently the electrical system has started acting up. Last week when I went into the grocery store the window went down by themselves while I was in the store.(it was raining out so I am sure the windows were up when I locked the doors to go inside) the driver's side door does not lock or unlock with the remote control. Also when I go to exit the car the lock is sticking and it is at times difficult to open the door. Today when my wife went out to the van the car had unlocked and the front lights were on. I re-locked the car and it unlocked itself again. I have had the car into the dealership where I purchased numerous times(5 or 6) to have the transmission looked at but they don't get an"error code" so they say there is nothing that can be done.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Sep 072012

Grand Caravan

My vehicles is having strange electrical issues. The gauges move erratically, my dash lights and head lights flicker, my radio and air turn off by them selves. All the warning light flash and the warning chime sounds. All these things happen without warning. I called the Dodge dealer and they told me that it sounded like the tipm. This component has affected thousands and thousands of Caravan owners. They quoted me $900 plus dollars to get fix. That is $900 plus dollars that I don't have. With the numbers of incidents and the amount of potential dangers that this issue puts the community in, I believe that this should be a recall issue. Unlike me who has a family, and I am still am making payments on the vehicle, a costly repair like this that I cant afford, could be afforded by Dodge to recall it. I mean they are a huge company.

- Avondale, AZ, USA

Sep 062012

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

Prior to 9/6/2012, engine light came on for what the dealer said no reason. Then on 9/6/2012, van broke and would not start. It appeared as if stuck in all gears and I was told this was an electrical problem. There is a recall on this type/year of van for electrical problems, recall #11V139000;however, no recall shows up for my van VIN #. I don't feel this vehicle is safe. The dealer has had my vehicle for a week now along with another one same make and model/year that they are having the same issue. There is a definite problem with this model vehicle. My vehicle is still not repaired or exact problem diagnosed. Yet, they expect me to drive it again when I get it back. These electrical issues need to be further evaluated. Yes my van was in a parking lot but that was lucky. Please look into this further. The dealer don't even understand the problem on these 2 Grand Caravan per our last conversation we had today.

- Natural Bridge, NY, USA

Jul 052012

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

After approximately 30 minutes of operation at 50mph my entire dash light warning system light up & then went dark. The vehicle engine died. As I was slowly coasting to a stop, the lights & vehicle spontaneously came back on & resumed normal operation. A check of the diagnostic codes recorded no incident & I cannot recreate the failure. About 2 weeks after that incident, I started my engine, began to reverse out of a parking spot, when the A/C unit stopped blowing & lights went out, clock & dash went dark. I pulled back into the spot, parked, turned off the ignition & restarted the vehicle, and the A/C, radio, panel has worked fine ever since. Still no codes reported during a diagnostic. Someone is going to get killed driving the 2010 Dodge Grand Caravan! all the while, the manufacture denies that there is a problem with their vehicles. I purchased this vehicle new, this isn't the first time I've had problems with this vehicle. I am fastidious about service & maintenance of my vehicle, and have the receipts to prove it.

- Gatesville, TX, USA

Nov 162011

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

Our 2010 Dodge Grand Caravan minivan, has been for the past 6 months been stalling sporadically. Today, it came to a head. We were 45 minutes North of our house and heading home. 10 minutes of driving to get to the freeway and 20 minutes on the freeway, in the center lane, 3 lanes wide, pouring outside, it is 8:50pm, and lightening out as well. Our minivan just died on the freeway, with a fair amount of traffic. We were able to pull over quickly as the minivan shook to a halt, we were going 70 miles per hour. Yesterday, when I tried starting it died right away, twice. The dealership knows about this as they see the minivan for this about every month, and they always say nothing comes up on the computer, nothing is wrong with it. I have complained to Chrysler about this. They say it is because it happens right after we have filled up with gas. Well, we didn't just fill up with gas today, and have only a half tank of gas, when this happened. Out of the countless times this has died on us, it has only died 2 times after filling up. There is no rhyme or reason when this happens, can be morning or afternoon, we rarely drive in the evening. Cold or hot days. Chrysler has said that this issue is related to the new key, and recalled it, well we have had that changed at least 3 times already.

- Milwaukee, WI, USA

Jul 092012

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

We had our ignition repaired 2 times already. Once because the ignition shut off the engine at 60 miles per hour. Then again for the recall for the ignition modular that was why the engine was getting shut off by the ignition and now the key will not come out of the ignition. We took the van to the dealership and explained that the key will not come out unless we play with turning on and off the van, putting it in reverse then forward, out of park into drive and wasting a lot of time and gas just to get it to come out. The service tech said first the key was into too loose before the recall and now it is in too tight after the recall part was put in. So after driving 100 miles for service we are told make sure to put the van in park and the key should come out. Well it does not. Nothing shows up on their computers so they will not fix the problem. The key will not turn off the engine so if the key is left in the battery could go dead. I have to go through off and on, drive, reverse to get the key out. I am afraid that the ignition problem could turn the engine off again at 60 miles an hour. No one is helping us because, in my opinion, this is the third repair on the ignition, making the van a lemon. So this is why we got no receipt of service for the tech telling us to put the van in park. My husband was a state trooper and taught defensive driving classes at the police academy. I have been driving for 45 years. So we both know how to put the van in park and how to remove a key from an ignition. Chrysler has not responded to our complaint.

- Haines City , FL, USA

Jun 172012

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

The windshield wipers came on but would not turn off. The windows would not work, the control panel would not register. All warning lights lit up. The possible complications are multiple. The vehicle is considered unsafe to operate by the owners.

- Cape May, NJ, USA

Jun 022012

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

Rear passenger wheel gets extremely hot while driving. It appears that the caliper may be locking up. The rear wheel on the driver side also makes a high pitched whine, which is intermittent and usually goes away by tapping the brake pedal. We took it to the dealer and they said we needed a rear brake job. However, I believe this is due to defective calipers which are not releasing the pads from the rotors. The rear brakes on every car I have owned always last significantly longer than the front. The fact that the rear pads are worn excessively while front are not indicates a defect in the rear brake assembly. The ignition was repaired as part of a recall. However, after starting the car, the key does not return to the "on" position. This allows the car to run and be driven, however none of my lights or directionals work. I can wiggle the key to get it into the correct position, but sometimes it is not obvious that the key is in the wrong position. This results in me driving without headlights in the rain and thinking that I am signaling properly in turns when in fact everything is off.

- Webster, NY, USA