2010 Dodge Grand Caravan electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Dodge Grand Caravan:

2010 Dodge Grand Caravan Owner Comments (Page 18 of 20)

Jan 012012

Grand Caravan

2010 Dodge Grand Caravan. Consumer writes in regards to vehicle ignition key problems. The consumer stated after a repair was made on the vehicle, the keys were extreme;Y snug and it was difficult to turn the ignition to the on position. In late December, the first key would not start the vehicle, but would un-lock it. On January 7, 2014, the second key failed in the same way. Again, the consumer had to pay hundreds of dollars to get a new key, as well as the first key, since it was defective and kept opening the rear door on its own.

- Florissant, MO, USA

Nov 122013

Grand Caravan

The contact owns a 2010 Dodge Grand Caravan. The contact stated that whenever starting the ignition, the key would not return to the accessory position. The vehicle had been previously repaired under NHTSA campaign id 11V139000 (electrical system) in November of 2011. The remedy repair failed to correct the problem. The manufacturer was notified of the defect. The approximate failure mileage was 73,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Vancouver, WA, USA

Aug 262013

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

In August the check engine light came on we took the van to local auto part stores to get a diagnosis but they were unable to get a reading. We then went to the local Dodge dealer to have it checked only to find out their diagnostic equipment was inoperable. That weekend the van would not start so we replaced the battery thinking this was the source of the check engine light. A couple of days later the light was back on. We went back to the dealer and were told that the totally integrated power module needed to be replaced and that it will cost $790 to repair. We went online to possibly find one cheaper and we did but apparently because of the high demand for this part it is on back order. Also the turn signals have had a slight malfunction for over 3 1/2 years. When you manually turn the signal off it continues to operate for another 5 seconds. I usually just. Ignore this but now wonder if it has some connection to the faulty tipm.

- Albany , GA, USA

Oct 052013

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

Van traveling at 70 mph and the horn goes off. Pulled over to the side of the road, turned ignition off and on, horn still activated. Had to pull two fuses for horn. 8 hours later, tried to re-install fuses, horn still activated. Three days later; horn is still not in operation. Numerous complaints have been made without resolve. The tipm is on back order and that is the part that needs to be replaced.

- Springfield , IL, USA

Sep 162013

Grand Caravan

I cranked my van at work and started out of the parking lot. All of the electrical system completely went out. This includes the radio, air, inside lights, all of the dash panel electronics. Etc. This is the second time this has happened since I bought the vehicle on 6/19/13. I did take it to the local dealership and they stated that they would need for me to bring it up there the next time it happens and they would have to trace the problem.

- Augusta, GA, USA

Aug 012013

Grand Caravan

Headlights work intermittently. They will quit working unexpectedly while driving. Mechanic has been working on them for a month trying to figure out which component is causing the problem.

- Rancho Cucamonga, CA, USA

Sep 052013

Grand Caravan

The contact owns a 2010 Dodge Grand Caravan. The contact stated that she attempted to start the vehicle but the key was not recognized. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was found that the win module needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified and informed the contact that the vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign number 11V139000 (electrical switch). The failure mileage was approximately 96,000.

- Port St. Lucy, FL, USA

Jun 012013

Grand Caravan

The vehicle's rear A/C works only once in a while. It is only 3 years old and we are running into these problems. Once in a while we are driving down the road the hole center console shuts down. Lights, A/C, instrument panel shut stops but the car still runs. I have contacted the dealership about problem but the say we must pay at least $200 just to have it looked at. The car is only 3 years old and it seems we are running into one issue after another. I believe the A/C is a safety issue due to the fact it works sometimes but not always. It is something electrical but Dodge wont own up to the design flaws. The same thing with the center console/ instrument panel. What happens when im going down the highway and I don't know my speed or anything.

- Dyess Afb, TX, USA

Aug 112013

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

Vehicle won't start. Makes electronic clicking noises and lights and won't stop. Battery is good. Odometer reading flashes also.

- Barksdale Afb, LA, USA

Jul 132013

Grand Caravan

TL- the contact owns a 2010 Dodge Grand Caravan. The contact stated that they took the vehicle to the dealer for NHTSA recall campaign id number:11V139(electrical system) for the replacement of the win module on the vehicle. The contact stated that that repair failed and the manufacturer would not replace it a second time. The current mileage was 51,000.rl

- Elgin, IL, USA

Feb 102013

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2010 Dodge Grand Caravan. The contact stated that while driving approximately 20 mph, the vehicle stalled. The failure recurred three times. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnosis. The technician stated that the vehicle was included in NHTSA campaign number: 11V139000 (electrical system). The vehicle was service per the recall however, the failure continued. The win module was replaced a second time but to no avail. The technician was unable to diagnose the failure. The manufacturer was made aware of the problem. The vehicle was not further repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 32,000.

- Jacksonville Beach, FL, USA

Feb 202013

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

Vehicle was sold to customer without recall NHTSA 11V-139 being installed in Nov 2011. Customer never notified; however, the vehicle had a window switch failure in Feb 2012 at about 60K miles at which time the dealer used L25 instead of a complete win module replacement. Custumer was not told of the replacement and it was not reported to carfax or other entities. May 13, 2013 after a distance trip, custumer parked the vehicle for 2 minutes. When attempting restart the vehicle had power but would not start and shifter was locked. Diagnosis shows full failure of the win module. The L25 recommended partial replacement did not prevent failure. Even though no accident occurred, customer was travelling from md to va and shutdown could have occurred on highway 301 or I95. Upon confronting the dealer, dealer stated that they do not have to disclose the recall or have to perform the work even though the dealer service instructions on July 2011 stated that the dealer must complete the recall before retail delivery. Consequently, this vehicle was one of the ones that needed a full replacement and not a partial.

- Mckenney, VA, USA

Apr 262013

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

The distance was about 35 miles from our home, bout 45 minutes drive. Driver didn't notice anything wrong with the engine or see any warning lights. The car was swaying like on a windy day, another car honked at us, then we heard loud road noise. We pulled over and turned off the engine. Saw the rear passenger tire was flat to the rim. Noticed a smoky smell. Saw little puffs of white smoke coming from under the hood. To be safe we removed children from the car; two 4 yr old children were in the backseat buckled in their car-seats. Infant was in the middle drivers side seat buckled in his car seat. Driver and car owner were in the front. Keys were removed from the ignition. We walked away from the vehicle, waited at the fence-line away from the vehicle while calling for a tow. Smoke appeared to have stopped for about 5 minutes. Suddenly black smoke started pouring out of the engine, embers dropping to the road from under the front of the car. We moved the children further away from the vehicle. Several truckers pulled over and brought fire extinguishers. One opened the hood flames flared up the fire truck arrived after the fire had been extinguished. One said the fire appeared to have started in the fan. The chp officer said the firefighters would disconnect the battery. When we looked at the inside of the front of the car everything was burnt and melted, the hood was buckled, front grill melted. The fire was extinguished before the rest of the car was damaged.

- Carmichael, CA, USA

Apr 302013

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2010 Dodge Grand Caravan. The contact stated that there was a separate plastic key to start the vehicle which was fractured on one side. The contact stated that after the vehicle was parked and attempted to shut off the vehicle, the vehicle failed to turn off. The ignition remained seized on the acc mode. The contact restarted vehicle in order to unlock the ignition and turn vehicle off. The vehicle was not taken to a repair shop or the dealer for a diagnostic test. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure but provided no further assistance. The failure mileage was 58,000. The current mileage was 58,800.

- Portage , MI, USA

Jan 212013

Grand Caravan

The contact owns a 2010 Dodge Grand Caravan. The contact stated that while driving approximately 35 mph the vehicle stalled without warning. The failure recurred five times intermittently. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnostic testing. The technician was unable to duplicate or diagnose the failure. The contact referenced NHTSA campaign number: 11V139000 (electrical system) but was advised by the manufacturer that the VIN was not included in the recall. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 27,500.

- Ford Gratiot, MI, USA

Jan 312013

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

Jan 31, 2:00pm I parked the vehicle to pick my son up from pre-school. After securing my children to their respective car seats, I buckled myself in and proceeded to start the engine, the vehicle's engine would not start. Strong electrical-smelling fumes were emitted and the etc light came on. We had the vehicle towed to a Jeep, Dodge, & Chrysler dealership for servicing for 5 days. The service tech insisted that nothing was detected aside from slight corrosion in the battery plugs, which needed to be replaced. We did what was advised and took our vehicle back on Feb 6. Feb 13, 9:45am after making a quick stop at a grocery store, the same problem occurred. The vehicle engine would not start, but the radio was coming on. I turned off the vehicle and proceeded to restart the vehicle. Once again the etc light came on and this time, white smoke was coming out from under the hood. After seeing the smoke, I quickly turned off the vehicle and took my child out. Our vehicle is now stranded in the parking lot of a grocery store waiting to be towed to the same dealership.

- Missouri City, TX, USA

Dec 262012

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

I was driving down the express way at 75 mph and the car completely shut off. The car died and everything shut off (lights, heating, engine) I was able to coast to the side of the express way. I calmed myself down and started the car up again and drove home. The ignition ring recall was already replaced back in 2011 before we owned the van. We had a 2nd incident that happened on February 6th. This time I was driving in a parking lot and it died again. I turned on my hazards and started the van again and it started right up.

- Round Lake Park, IL, USA

Sep 282012

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

Driving on interstate I-90 when I lost power to wipers, turn signals, radio, power windows. I took the van back to the Dodge dealer since they had fixed the wireless ignition module under a recall notice in August of 2010. I was told to touch the key and the power would return which it did do.I was also told that the problem of the key turning off the engine was fixed under the recall but they now have this problem. Since first reporting the problem in October this has occurred more frequently.

- Erie, PA, USA

Dec 062012

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

When driving on the freeway at night the headlights suddenly shut off they would not come back on, neither the headlights or the high beams would work, I put the hazard lights on and got off the road, after that the headlights blinked when turned on and then would not come on at all, after that they came on and then shut back off again while driving on city streets, the headlights turn off while driving or do not turn on at all.

- San Jose , CA, USA

Nov 012012

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

2010 Dodge Grand Caravan. Consumer writes in regards to vehicle shutdown while driving. Shortly after the vehicle was purchased, the vehicle would fully shutdown; engine off, radio off, power locks disabled, windshield wipes off etc. The vehicle was taken to the dealer several times, only to get the vehicle back, with the problem still present.

- Cumming, GA, USA