1.9

2010 Dodge Grand Caravan engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Dodge Grand Caravan:

2010 Dodge Grand Caravan Owner Comments (Page 3 of 4)

Apr 282014

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

Our 2010 Dodge Grand Caravan is over consuming oil. We have a normal oil change done and before we get to the 3000 miles when the next one is to be done the van is dry/out of oil! the light comes on the dash indicating there is no oil and the oil level in the van does not even reach the dip stick, it is completely dry. We took the van in April 2014 to zeigler in downers grove, il and they had us come back every 1000 miles to check again, each time it was at least 1.5 or so quarts low. They would top it off and say come back in 1000 miles. That is not normal a vehicle should not keep needing oil to be added and if no oil is added it is empty before you have driven 3000 miles. Since the dealer was no help saying it is normal, which this is not, I have never had to add oil to any of my vehicles between oil changes, today we called Chrysler to handle the problem...all Chrysler would do was call the dealer who told them this is normal and said that they have to side with the dealer and not fix the problem...we paid for an extended warranty on this van and it needs to be fixed asap before the warranty is up!!!!

- Bolingbrook, IL, USA

Oct 312013

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

I was pulling out of a side street onto a main road when the engine shut off. This was the second time within the past month that this happened. About a week after I had the second ignition failure I received a recall notice (L25) from Chrysler telling me that they had a problem with their frequency operated button ignition key (fobik) that causes the engine to shut down while driving. When I called the Chrysler group recall assistance center (1-800-853-1403) they told me that the parts to fix the problem were not available and, even though the vehicle had shut down twice, they didn't care and wouldn't provide a loaner/rental vehicle until the repair was made. This is a similar situation that GM dealt with recently and did provide temporary replacement vehicles.

- Lyman, ME, USA

Jul 172014

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

Several times while driving out of neighborhood the van will shut off without warning. Engine dies causing power steering to not function either. It has recently become more frequent and has now begun to die even after warming up and at higher speeds.

- Cumming , GA, USA

Aug 282014

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

The ignition key was displaced from the run to the accessory position while driving, causing the engine to shut off. I called Dodge and they stated this car was already recalled for this problem in 2011 and according to them was fixed at that time. I bought the car in 2012 used and this problem reappeared.

- Scarsdale, NY, USA

Jun 112013

Grand Caravan

I've been dealing with an oil consumption problem for over 20,000 miles now.I have a case # with Chrysler headquarters but the dealer can't find where the oil is going.I was three quarts low at one oil change and Chrysler said that is within their limits of one quart every 750 miles for a vehicle over 50,000 miles.I find that unacceptable.that would mean I would be 8 quarts low in an engine that only has 5 quarts at a 6000 mile oil change.I've found many other people, on line.with the same problem.one tech.said to write your dept.since I had no other place to turn.

- Howell, MI, USA

Jun 132014

Grand Caravan

The contact owns a 2010 Dodge Grand Caravan. The contact stated that the vehicle stalled without warning on multiple occasions. While driving 40 mph, the contact touched the ignition and the vehicle stalled. The vehicle was able to be restarted. In addition, the instrument panel warning indicators and gauges failed at random. While driving at night, the headlights flickered and failed to illuminate occasionally. An independent mechanic inspected the vehicle and stated that the tipm needed to be replaced. The failure mileage was 77,431.

- Boca Raton, FL, USA

Nov 262010

Grand Caravan

This is my forth complaint since purchasing the van. Who has to due before NHTSA does anything about this. I have been complaining to Dodge since I first bought the van. It will shut off riding down the rode. The dealership said to just wiggle the web (the van does not have a standard key) when the van shuts off. The dealership said sometimes the connections are broken between the web and van.

- Blythewood, SC, USA

Jul 052014

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

I live in troy Michigan and on a trip to go pick up my teenage daughter driving.on M-59 my car started expelling coolant in the form.of steam from underneath the hood and inside the vehicle. I immediate stopped at the closest automotive store.less.than a mile from where it started the incident. It was discovered by the mechanic at bell tire that the steel intercooler lines that run to the interior heater had ruptured. I contacted Chrysler as steel tube should not fail unless some manufacture issue was overlooked. As a senior systems engineer mean time before failure on a component like this should have never happened at the low mileage on the vehicle. I followed up to find.out cost to repair and the sales rep also let me know that a second Grand Caravan 2008 model had just come.in with the same failure. This is absolutely Chrysler failure to engineer this correctly and I would.lile to see this resolved before greater damage is done.

- Troy, MI, USA

May 162014

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

Engine shut down while driving 60 mph down the expressway. This was the 29th occurrence. The 30 happened while I was driving over a bridge in our neighborhood two weeks later at about 20 mph.

- Cumming, GA, USA

Dec 182013

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

Five separate times while driving this van the engine just shuts down and we coast to a stop. This has happened at various speeds, the last event occurred while driving on the expressway at an aprox. Speed of 55-60 mph. Speed of the van does not seem to matter as we have had this occur at speeds ranging from 15-60 mph. Weather also does not seem to matter as the events happened in winter and summer. We have reported this problem to the Dodge dealership. They kept our van for a week attempting to have the problem occur for them without success. We are fearful every time we drive this van because when the engine shuts off we lose power to the steering and brakes. This is dangerous! Chrysler does not seem to have a solution to this problem. Help!

- Rochester, NY, USA

May 142010

Grand Caravan

We bought our 2010 Dodge Grand Caravan new in April of 2010. Shortly after we bought it, I drove over a speed bump and the van engine shut off. This turned off the radio, power steering...everything electrical. I wrote it off to going over a speed bump too quickly. A few weeks later, the van shut down as I was driving about 40 mph down the road. I took it to the dealer and they said my key chain was too heavy. This made sense, so I removed keys. The problem still continued. To date, the van has shut down over 30 times and has been involved in one accident due to this issue. It has shut down while turning left into traffic, driving 60 mph down the expressway in the rain, driving slowly in a subdivision. There is no rhyme or reason as to when or why it shuts down. This is an unpredictable problem. Countless sensors have been replaced. Chrysler has sent the van to three different dealers to fix the problem. When the van shuts down, the engine turns off, the radio, heat/ac, power steering...everything shuts off. If I put the van in neutral and turn the key, the van will typically turn back on. On three occasions the van did not turn back on so I had to manipulate the van over to the side of the road (which is very difficult without power steering), put it in park, then restart it. Dodge is well aware of this problem, but they refuse to take the van back. They have attempted to fix the problem over a dozen times, with no luck. They told me that if I trade the van in, they will "fix it" and resell it. However they can not fix it for me, so how will they fix it for someone else? I am scared that my son who is 15 now learning to drive and he is learning on this van. Please take these vans off the road!!!

- Cumming, GA, USA

May 232014

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

Original owner of the vehicle, recall for faulty ignition switch was applied in 2011. This is actually a report of 3 incidents, (#3 the most dangerous) the engine of the vehicle suddenly shuts off while driving. It is instant and silent, with no pre-warning like one would normally experience in a classic engine stall. Vehicle was taken directly to the dealership where they said that they could not reproduce the problem and that there were no codes. They suggested that I keep driving it to see if it happens again! they also suggested (an educated guess) that I change the egr valve. Here are descriptions of the 3 events - the last one was the most dangerous and scary:.#1 Dec 31, 2013. Outdoor temp below 32 degrees. Car shut off while pulling out from a stop sign, about 2-3 blocks after being started. Car was not rough idling, or showing any other signs of a problem. It just seemed like someone reached over and turned the key to "acc" because the blowers and radio were still on, but the engine, power steering and power brakes were gone. The car started right back up. #2 March 1, 2014. Outdoor temp about 32 degrees, similar situation, pulling out after a light turned green, turning right and the car just shut off again. Again I would call it a cold engine, as this happened within 5 minutes of starting the car. Also no sign of a problem with the engine. It started right back up. #3 May 23, 2014. Outdoor temp about 50 degrees. Had driven about 1 mile, (engine still cold), and was at the speed limit of 35-40mph and starting to turn with the curve in the road (a very modest curve)when the car just shut off and started wanting to go straight (no power steering) veering towards the oncoming lane. Once again, the engine started right up and was acting normal before and after the stall/shut down.

- Naperville, IL, USA

Apr 082014

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

With 4000 miles since last oil change, the oil light came on while driving down the road. Put 2 quarts of 5W20 oil in the engine and it was still below the add line on the dipstick. Dealer stated that they don't know what is causing it and they would charge me $50 just to see what is wrong and to see if the warranty covers it.

- Millville, PA, USA

Feb 052014

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

I was driving down the road and I noticed that my steering was tight. When I looked down, my RPM's were on 0, my car had shut off and the traction control light came on. I pulled over to the side of the road, put car in park and it started right up. This happened again a few weeks after that, going the same speed. Brakes & steering gave out, was able to coast to side of road, put car in park and it started right up. On March 28th I was driving into work, going approx. 45-50 mph, noticed that my steering got tight, car had shut off again. Thankfully I was in the outside lane so I could pull over. Car started right up. It happened a 4th time on April 2, 2014. This time I felt the steering wheel getting tight, I put car in neutral and it started right up. Every time this happens my car shuts off first and then there is a 1-2 second delay before the traction control steering light comes on. My car is at the dealership right now, waiting to hear. I checked on the ignition recall for the 2010 Grand Caravan and I was told that my VIN# does not fall into the recall dates. This is very dangerous for myself, my family and others on the road. I am afraid to drive my car!!

- Mechanicville, NY, USA

Mar 282014

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

The ignition moved itself from start to accessory, shutting of the engine, disabling the power steering and brakes. Luckily I was already coming to a stop otherwise my lack of power steering and power brakes would have caused me to crash by the time I realized what had happened.

- Indianapolis, IN, USA

Nov 262010

Grand Caravan

The van will turn off riding down the road. I has reported this several times to the dealership and to NHTSA. Does my wife have to crash to get some ones help? the dealership said to just wiggle the key when the car shuts off. This has been happening since I bought the van.

- Blythewood, SC, USA

Jul 202012

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

Please look into the 2010 Dodge Grand Caravan shutting off just like the GM models. My van shuts off with loss of power steering and brakes at least once a week. The dealer always tells me there is no error code. Several complaints out there, why is nothing being done? I do not want to die in my van! I have 3 children.

- Quarryville, PA, USA

Nov 132013

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

Driving through a school zone to take my daughter to school. The engine just stopped with no warning. This caused me to loose power steering and brakes. This happened on 6 subsequent occasions in different areas and at different speeds between November 2013 and March 2014 the most recent was March 11, 2014.

- Burnsville, MN, USA

Dec 272013

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

On several occasions (5 to date) the engine has stalled while the vehicle is moving at a steady speed. Each time the vehicle has been moving at less than 20mph and has been running for a relatively short period of time 5-10 min from cold start. We took the car to the dealer, but no codes were set and they couldn't find anything wrong. They say the engine is not due for maintenance for another 15,000 miles. We are extremely disappointed in this response given the seriousness of having the engine stall while the car is moving. Heaven forbid it occur while on the highway.

- Westerville, OH, USA

Nov 202012

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2010 Dodge Grand Caravan. The contact stated that the tires would become bald prematurely. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnosis where the technician stated that the vehicle needed an alignment. Additionally, the motor mount and the lower intake gasket was fractured, causing an oil filter housing leak in the lower intake gasket. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 13,000.

- Wakefield , MA, USA