1.9

2010 Dodge Grand Caravan engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Dodge Grand Caravan:

2010 Dodge Grand Caravan Owner Comments (Page 4 of 4)

Apr 262013

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

The distance was about 35 miles from our home, bout 45 minutes drive. Driver didn't notice anything wrong with the engine or see any warning lights. The car was swaying like on a windy day, another car honked at us, then we heard loud road noise. We pulled over and turned off the engine. Saw the rear passenger tire was flat to the rim. Noticed a smoky smell. Saw little puffs of white smoke coming from under the hood. To be safe we removed children from the car; two 4 yr old children were in the backseat buckled in their car-seats. Infant was in the middle drivers side seat buckled in his car seat. Driver and car owner were in the front. Keys were removed from the ignition. We walked away from the vehicle, waited at the fence-line away from the vehicle while calling for a tow. Smoke appeared to have stopped for about 5 minutes. Suddenly black smoke started pouring out of the engine, embers dropping to the road from under the front of the car. We moved the children further away from the vehicle. Several truckers pulled over and brought fire extinguishers. One opened the hood flames flared up the fire truck arrived after the fire had been extinguished. One said the fire appeared to have started in the fan. The chp officer said the firefighters would disconnect the battery. When we looked at the inside of the front of the car everything was burnt and melted, the hood was buckled, front grill melted. The fire was extinguished before the rest of the car was damaged.

- Carmichael, CA, USA

Dec 102012

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2010 Dodge Grand Caravan. The contact stated that when abruptly braking, the vehicle would stall. The failure would also occur when decelerating to attempt a turn in either direction. The contact had not taken the vehicle to the dealer for inspection or repairs. The failure mileage was unknown, but the current mileage was 50,939.

- Bubuque, IA, USA

Jan 312013

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

Jan 31, 2:00pm I parked the vehicle to pick my son up from pre-school. After securing my children to their respective car seats, I buckled myself in and proceeded to start the engine, the vehicle's engine would not start. Strong electrical-smelling fumes were emitted and the etc light came on. We had the vehicle towed to a Jeep, Dodge, & Chrysler dealership for servicing for 5 days. The service tech insisted that nothing was detected aside from slight corrosion in the battery plugs, which needed to be replaced. We did what was advised and took our vehicle back on Feb 6. Feb 13, 9:45am after making a quick stop at a grocery store, the same problem occurred. The vehicle engine would not start, but the radio was coming on. I turned off the vehicle and proceeded to restart the vehicle. Once again the etc light came on and this time, white smoke was coming out from under the hood. After seeing the smoke, I quickly turned off the vehicle and took my child out. Our vehicle is now stranded in the parking lot of a grocery store waiting to be towed to the same dealership.

- Missouri City, TX, USA

Apr 012012

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2010 Dodge Grand Caravan. The contact stated that when driving at low speeds of when attempting a turn, the vehicle would stall without warning. The failure was experienced several times. The vehicle was taken to the dealer and a diagnostic was performed, which was unable to generate a failure code. The dealer also test drove the vehicle but was unable to duplicate the failure. The dealer cleaned the fuel rail system as a precaution however, the failure was not corrected. The vehicle continued to stall without warning. The vehicle was not further repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 36,694 and the current mileage was 41,000. Updated 01/29/13 the consumer also stated the passenger rear door was repaired four times. Updated 01/30/13

- Stockton , CA, USA

Sep 062012

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

Prior to 9/6/2012, engine light came on for what the dealer said no reason. Then on 9/6/2012, van broke and would not start. It appeared as if stuck in all gears and I was told this was an electrical problem. There is a recall on this type/year of van for electrical problems, recall #11V139000;however, no recall shows up for my van VIN #. I don't feel this vehicle is safe. The dealer has had my vehicle for a week now along with another one same make and model/year that they are having the same issue. There is a definite problem with this model vehicle. My vehicle is still not repaired or exact problem diagnosed. Yet, they expect me to drive it again when I get it back. These electrical issues need to be further evaluated. Yes my van was in a parking lot but that was lucky. Please look into this further. The dealer don't even understand the problem on these 2 Grand Caravan per our last conversation we had today.

- Natural Bridge, NY, USA

Nov 162011

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

Our 2010 Dodge Grand Caravan minivan, has been for the past 6 months been stalling sporadically. Today, it came to a head. We were 45 minutes North of our house and heading home. 10 minutes of driving to get to the freeway and 20 minutes on the freeway, in the center lane, 3 lanes wide, pouring outside, it is 8:50pm, and lightening out as well. Our minivan just died on the freeway, with a fair amount of traffic. We were able to pull over quickly as the minivan shook to a halt, we were going 70 miles per hour. Yesterday, when I tried starting it died right away, twice. The dealership knows about this as they see the minivan for this about every month, and they always say nothing comes up on the computer, nothing is wrong with it. I have complained to Chrysler about this. They say it is because it happens right after we have filled up with gas. Well, we didn't just fill up with gas today, and have only a half tank of gas, when this happened. Out of the countless times this has died on us, it has only died 2 times after filling up. There is no rhyme or reason when this happens, can be morning or afternoon, we rarely drive in the evening. Cold or hot days. Chrysler has said that this issue is related to the new key, and recalled it, well we have had that changed at least 3 times already.

- Milwaukee, WI, USA