1.9

2010 Dodge Grand Caravan engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Dodge Grand Caravan:

2010 Dodge Grand Caravan Owner Comments (Page 1 of 4)

Sep 172016

Grand Caravan

While driving at low speeds (35mph or slower) the vehicle engine has stalled 5 times since July of 2016. The stalling issue happens during the first drive of the day. Happens within the first 3-4 miles of the drive been to the fca dealership twice unable to fix the problem. The power brakes and steering go out due to the engine stall. It has happened on straight roads and during curved roads. I'm able to put the vehicle in neutral and re-start the vehicle. There is no warning or indicator of the stall, only the increased effort to turn or stop the vehicle. Dates of occurrence: 7/16, 8/7, 8/20, 9/3 & 9/17.

- South Lyon, MI, USA

Aug 192016

Grand Caravan

The contact owns a 2010 Dodge Grand Caravan. While driving 70 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning. The vehicle was not diagnosed nor repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The failure mileage was 105,000.

- Winthrop, ME, USA

Jul 102016

Grand Caravan

While driving my car it just shuts off on me at random times. I never know when it is going to happen. It has happened 4 times in 2 week. I found a recall online for this same thing but my dealer is telling me they are VIN number specific and my VIN says there is no recall so they won't fix it. This is due to only Chrysler only covered up till June of 2010 model year and our van/VIN was made in July of 2010. Please help me get this fixed before I have an accident and injure myself or my family that is in the van most of the time or someone else. They need to extend the recall for all of 2010 model year, not just part of the year.

- Richmond Hill, GA, USA

May 132016

Grand Caravan

Van started and key stuck, then when the key get finally removed the engine stay on and won't shut off unless remove cables from battery. When the battery cables are connected again the engine start by itself without a key or the ignition is on without the key and the only way to shut off the van or to turn off the ignition is to disconnect the cables from the battery or it stays on or won't shut off. Running the battery out and your gas tank empty.

- Prince George, VA, USA

Apr 172016

Grand Caravan

On April 17, driving at highway speeds the cruise control failed to cancel two separate times. Applying brakes also did not cancel the cruise control. Then, engine stalled at highway speeds on same trip two times. Several days later, engine failed to start. After several attempts the engine started. Suspect tipm failure.

- Havre, MT, USA

Mar 092016

Grand Caravan

Engine stalls while driving in motion-so far has only occurred while driving on city streets but is becoming more frequent.originally seemed to occur only when not fully warmed up but now is happening at regular operating temperatures also.it has happened both while making turns and while traveling in a straight line. I often don't notice it has occurred until I try to accelerate or turn and discover the loss of power steering and that the tachometer is on "O" rpms. It has become a regularly re-occurring annoyance and has obvious danger potential. I took the car to a dealership for the recall on the win module and was told that the brand of module that this vehicle contained was not the one they were having problems with and would therefore not replace it. They also claimed that the problem we were having was not related to that part. Checking online I find that I am far from the first owner of these vehicles experiencing this problem and that Chrysler Corp. Seems to be in denial of a problem and is at a loss as to correction of the problem. Please add my complaint to the growing list of unresolved complaints relating to this vehicle.

- Delavan, WI, USA

Nov 152015

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2010 Dodge Grand Caravan. While driving 20 mph, the vehicle shut off three time. The contact was able to restart the vehicle. The failure recurred on numerous occasions. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who was unable to diagnose or repair the vehicle. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 145,000. Updated 04/22/16

- Dessemer, AL, USA

Jan 122016

Grand Caravan

The contact owns a 2010 Dodge Grand Caravan. While driving approximately 10 mph, a thumping noise was heard under the hood of the vehicle. As the contact continued to drive, the engine began to rev and the vehicle began to slow down and would not accelerate. The instrument panel lights began to flicker and smoke appeared under the hood and through the vents inside the vehicle. The vehicle stalled. The contact stated that the connecting rod fractured, there was a hole through the engine block, and the water and oil lines were severed. The vehicle was towed. The contact was unsure if a police report was filed. The contact's spouse, a certified mechanic, diagnosed that the connecting rod was fractured and blew a hole through the engine. The engine, motors, computer board, and brakes needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failures. The approximate failure mileage was 54,800.

- Bluffton, IN, USA

Feb 052016

Grand Caravan

We have a 2010 Dodge Caravan that was built in June of 2010. It has 39,711 miles on it and three times this week, 02/03&04/2016, the engine shut off inadvertently while my wife was driving it at speeds up to 40 mph. The power steering and power brakes did not work and she let it coast top a stop, while breaking, pulling over to the side of the road. This was on a state route she put it in park and the car started all three times. Two of these incidents happened while our 2 middle school children were in the car. I called the Chrysler complaint bureau and they checked my VIN number and told me my vehicle was not included in their recent recall involving their win ignition key fob problems even though our vehicle is experiencing the same engine shut down as in their recall. I had the car checked with a computer and there are no code problems with the vehicle. The dealer I went to told me our vehicle was manufactured 6 days out of the June 17th. 2010 recall date. On checking my sticker on the driver door, it only gives 06/2010 as a mfg date. In the interest of safety for my wife and children it will be costing me just over $600 to have this fixed with the same parts as in the recall. Its hard for me to believe that back in 2010 as Chrysler was using these defective parts that after June they quit using them since the recall didn't take effect till June 26, 2014.

- Bolivar, OH, USA

Oct 252015

Grand Caravan

The contact owns a 2010 Dodge Grand Caravan. While driving at low speeds, the engine stalled without warning. The vehicle was able to be restarted. The failure recurred numerous times. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 73,000.

- Cranberry Township, PA, USA

Aug 292014

Grand Caravan

I've been waiting for the longest time, for the Dodge dealership to replace the part, or parts that the recall people, was recalling the vehicle for. But instead, they keep telling me that the part, or parts hasn't come in yet. I've been having on going problems since forever, with this vehicle dying out on me, and my family;__too many times. And not only that! but my money is very important to me too. And I don't like paying out my money;__towards anything, that has been a continuos problem for me, and my family. Sent on: Thursday_01/21/2016.

- Austin, TX, USA

Jan 072016

Grand Caravan

The vans engine shuts off whenever it wants. Driving down the road it just shuts down, all accessories continue to work such as fans radio etc. The steering locks up because the engine shuts down. As soon as I can stop I put it in park and turn the key. The car immediately starts and I continue to drive. There are no warning lights on and nothing flashes on the dash when it stalls. It just turns off as if I haven't turned the key all the way to run.

- Jackson, NJ, USA

Nov 122015

Grand Caravan

I was driving approximately 50 mph on a city street when my engine shut off. I lost all engine power; tank went to empty and it was incredibly hard to turn the steering wheel as well as brake. The best I could, I pulled over, put the van in park and restarted it. I drove home. I called the Dodge dealership and they said that since no dash lights came on, no codes would be stored, and to keep driving the vehicle until it happened again. I have an appointment scheduled with them for 11/19/15 (the soonest possible appointment.) I am uncertain if this is related; however, sometimes my "key" doesn't lock or unlock the van. In August, two times the van wouldn't start right away (2-3 tries) and on September 6, it didn't start after multiple tries. About an hour later, it started with a grinding sound, which sounded to be coming from the right passenger side of the dashboard. No dash lights. It has started fine since then.

- Queen Creek, AZ, USA

Oct 062015

Grand Caravan

My 2010 Dodge Grand Caravan stalls without warning while driving. The stalling has occurred four times and each time I was almost rear ended. The last time it stalled was October 6, 2015 and the first time spring 2011. The stalling has occurred two times on a city street, once on the highway and once on a highway off ramp. It occurs at any speed. When the engine stalls, the van loses the power steering and brakes. Once I can stop the van and put it in park or neutral, it has restarted. When I took the van to the dealer no codes could be read. The engine stalling has occurred prior to and after the replacement ignition parts were installed from the March 1, 2011 (NHTSA reference #11V139000) recall and the June 26, 2014 (#14V373000) recall. The engine stalling is a very dangerous situation because it occurs without warning. After reading online there are many people having this same problem, so please investigate.

- Farmington Hills, MI, USA

Aug 052015

Grand Caravan

Car stalls while I am driving it. Took it to car dealer and it doesn't pop up with codes, so they say they can't figure out what is wrong. Head over mechanics drove it and he was driving it at 30 miles an hour and it turned off and he said he almost wrecked my car. Mechanic also duplicated it, but no codes, so they are saying they don't know what to fix. It is the only transportation I have, but is very dangerous to drive as when it stalls I have no power steering or brakes. I am at my wits end, because I have tried to reach Chrysler itself and all I get is customer service and they have a case open, but getting no results. I also have clunking in my transmission, but again no codes. I am at my wits end and don't know where to go from here. I can't afford to keep putting money in this car and it not get fixed. I still owe 5 years on this car also. I have had people riding in the car with me when it has happened. I am going to put a date at this end here, but not sure of when it first started happening, but know that the transmission started happening last year and told them about it and they said that was natural for that type of engine, but they hadn't even drove it.

- Drain, OR, USA

May 092014

Grand Caravan

Transmission feels like it is going to come out of the front end of my car. It makes the car move forward when it does it. Notified dealer and they tried it, it did not do it for them, so they say they can not fix it. Tried it once. Under warranty, but no codes again.

- Drain, OR, USA

Sep 272015

Grand Caravan

The contact owns a 2010 Dodge Grand Caravan. After removing the key from the ignition switch and exiting the vehicle, the contact discovered that the engine and the instrument panel lights remained on. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who diagnosed that the ignition switch was faulty and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was 131,000. Updated 01/27/16

- Chamblee, GA, USA

Sep 272015

Grand Caravan

The heater hose Y pipe is defective. It's made of plastic, and it lasted less than 5 years before it burst at the seams and sprayed coolant all over the engine compartment when my wife and four children were driving on the highway, leaving them stranded. There was absolutely no warning before it burst, and there is no maintenance that will prevent this from happening. The part is defective, and this is a common problem with these Dodge models. An internet search shows that this problem is happening everywhere.

- Applevalley, MN, USA

Jun 052015

Grand Caravan

The contact owns a 2010 Dodge Grand Caravan. The contact stated that the vehicle stalled and was able to restart. In addition, the key to the vehicle fractured in the ignition switch and the contact was unable to remove the key. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 93,000.

- Alexandria, KY, USA

Dec 052014

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

On or about December 5th 2014, my wife attempted to start the above mentioned vehicle with no success. We had to have it towed from colonial beach, va to safford automotive in fredericksburg, va to be repaired. After diagnosing, the win module was found to be bad also both door modules flashed bad. Win module was replaced and two new key fobs had to be issued and programmed. Our cost was $906.65. This item was on the recall list but we were made to pay out of pocket. We have spoken to the dealer and the better business bureau but have not been successful. We feel it is unfair that we were made to pay for something that was recalled. This expense caused a significant hardship to our family. We hope you are able to help us get our money back. Thank you in advance for your help. We are in possession of both the recall notice as well as the original receipt.

- Colonial Beach, VA, USA