2010 Dodge Grand Caravan steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Dodge Grand Caravan:

2010 Dodge Grand Caravan Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Feb 012012

Grand Caravan

Bought vehicle used from a Dodge dealership in 2012, after several months engine shut off while driving on highway and then spontaneously restarted. This happened maybe once a month but then became more frequent until it is now almost a daily occurrence. When this occurs sometimes car will restart if you slightly turn the key towards start quick enough, otherwise you have to shift into neutral to have some control and then turn the key to restart (not fun or safe in traffic at highway speeds). This can happen while sitting in the driveway before moving or at any speed, bumpy roads especially bad. Once we realized what the problem was with the ignition switch/key I did some research and found the recall 11V-139 and determined that our van was built during the recall manufacture dates. Called Dodge 3 times, first two calls was told recall did not exist. On the 3rd call was told it did exist but my VIN was not included in recall. I asked to at least have the ignition scanned with the witech scan tool (as described in the instructions in the L25 recall notice sent to dealers) dealer to determine if it was a marquardt, siemens or Continental win module. I was told I could do this at my expense but even if the results showed it was a recalled ignition it would not be covered since my VIN was not in the recall. This situation is extremely dangerous and if it has not caused any deaths yet as with the current GM ignition problem it will. Something needs to be done. P.S. vehicle also has the transmission bearing noise problem and the leaky/noisy power steering problems that Dodge has described in service bulletins but has also not recalled.

- Maysville, MO, USA

Nov 132013

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

Driving through a school zone to take my daughter to school. The engine just stopped with no warning. This caused me to loose power steering and brakes. This happened on 6 subsequent occasions in different areas and at different speeds between November 2013 and March 2014 the most recent was March 11, 2014.

- Burnsville, MN, USA

Aug 212013

Grand Caravan

Was entering a parking place. Right foot on top of brake. While my car was moving at idol speed-the engine RPM's speed surges causing no control in steering, brake. The surgeing over rides the brake. Steering, everything.. hit parked car. You have no control in situation. Had another "2010" van & same thing happened going thru garage door -2nd time almost hit building at my dentist building. Dealership made deal & switched to present van. Now this one has done it. Chrysler has inspected van for two weeks. They found nothing wrong. Case number at Chrysler is #23859956. Can't drive this van again. Next time may injure or kill someone. Found many with same trouble on internet. How do we get Chrysler to notice before someone is badly hurt. They are waiting for me to pick up my van"???". don't know if I can do it. Also have to fix bumper for $800.

- Jenison, MI, USA

Nov 202012

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2010 Dodge Grand Caravan. The contact stated that the tires would become bald prematurely. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnosis where the technician stated that the vehicle needed an alignment. Additionally, the motor mount and the lower intake gasket was fractured, causing an oil filter housing leak in the lower intake gasket. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 13,000.

- Wakefield , MA, USA

Sep 242012

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

2010 Dodge Grand Caravan with one passenger (driver) was hit by a driver running a red light at ~ 50mph. The collision occured at the front right (passenger) side of the Grand Caravan. The collision was severe and the van was totaled out as a result of this accident. Although the accident was a side impact none of the side airbags deployed, only the front air bags deployed. The driver of the van suffered head injuries due to contact with the side window of the van during the crash.

- Ypsilanti, MI, USA

May 272013

Grand Caravan

Power steering fluid leak from the crimped end of the power-steering pressure hose.

- Apo, AE, USA

Feb 032011

Grand Caravan

The brake rotors warp every 20,000 miles or so, so bad that the steering wheel shakes. This has happened on both my 2008 and my 2010 Caravan. Dodge has known about this problem for years and has refused to address it other than to give a discount only if you ask for it. Getting them fixed at the dealer is a pain cause they take the van for at least a day some times two. Also the wheel bearings on the 2008 did not last very long at all first set was replaced under warranty(37,000 miles) second set(68,000miles) was not. I have not had the wheel bearing issue on the 2010. The wheel bearings are sealed so it has nothing to do with the warped rotor issue.

- Marshall, MI, USA

Feb 202013

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

Vehicle was sold to customer without recall NHTSA 11V-139 being installed in Nov 2011. Customer never notified; however, the vehicle had a window switch failure in Feb 2012 at about 60K miles at which time the dealer used L25 instead of a complete win module replacement. Custumer was not told of the replacement and it was not reported to carfax or other entities. May 13, 2013 after a distance trip, custumer parked the vehicle for 2 minutes. When attempting restart the vehicle had power but would not start and shifter was locked. Diagnosis shows full failure of the win module. The L25 recommended partial replacement did not prevent failure. Even though no accident occurred, customer was travelling from md to va and shutdown could have occurred on highway 301 or I95. Upon confronting the dealer, dealer stated that they do not have to disclose the recall or have to perform the work even though the dealer service instructions on July 2011 stated that the dealer must complete the recall before retail delivery. Consequently, this vehicle was one of the ones that needed a full replacement and not a partial.

- Mckenney, VA, USA

Sep 232012

Grand Caravan

I bought my Grand Caravan brand new. It is a 2010, I bought in 2011. I have had multiple issues with it. Over the weekend, the traction control came on (perfectly dry roads), the car stalled, I lost power steering, and it wouldn't move until I stopped, put the car in park, and restarted it. This has happened four times now. I took it in for service this morning. I was told they would run diagnostics. If the diagnostics showed it to be a powertrain issue, it would be covered. If not, I would have to pay for diagnostics. After they ran diagnostics, they think it is the PCM. However, they won't fix it because they can't prove it is nothing else or duplicate the problem. They also still charged me for the diagnostics because they can't say for 100% it is the PCM. They told me I would have to continue to drive the car until it happened regularly and I would probably wreck the car in the process. I told them to expect a lawsuit if that happens.

- Columbia City, IN, USA

Jul 152011

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

Vehicle exhibits wandering and excessive vibration while braking and has done so since new.

- Ontario, 00, USA

Jan 132010

Grand Caravan

2010 Dodge Grand Caravan SE shut down with loss of steering control when turning left in to a parking lot. Was able to stop, put vehicle into park and restart with no issues. As with other complaints, very scary if this happens at a busy intersection. Scary enough to mention it to my wife so that if something should happen to me in an accident and witnesses say I just seemed to stop right in front of another vehicle, she will know what the cause of the accident is.

- Cambridge, Ontario, Canada, 00, USA