2010 Dodge Grand Caravan steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Dodge Grand Caravan:

2010 Dodge Grand Caravan Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Sep 172016

Grand Caravan

While driving at low speeds (35mph or slower) the vehicle engine has stalled 5 times since July of 2016. The stalling issue happens during the first drive of the day. Happens within the first 3-4 miles of the drive been to the fca dealership twice unable to fix the problem. The power brakes and steering go out due to the engine stall. It has happened on straight roads and during curved roads. I'm able to put the vehicle in neutral and re-start the vehicle. There is no warning or indicator of the stall, only the increased effort to turn or stop the vehicle. Dates of occurrence: 7/16, 8/7, 8/20, 9/3 & 9/17.

- South Lyon, MI, USA

Mar 012016

Grand Caravan

The contact owns a 2010 Dodge Grand Caravan. The contact stated that while driving at approximately 25 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning. In addition, the vehicle was shifted in neutral and then restarted for the vehicle to function however, it was extremely difficult to depress on the brake pedal and use the steering wheel. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 80,000.

- Jacksonville, IL, USA

May 202016

Grand Caravan

When driving the 2010 Dodge Grand Caravan the traction control light came on while I was driving on the highway the first time, and regular street roads the other times and the vehicle stalls and the brake, steering wheel and gas pedal lock causing the driver to lose control of the vehicle.

- Raleigh, NC, USA

Mar 092016

Grand Caravan

Engine stalls while driving in motion-so far has only occurred while driving on city streets but is becoming more frequent.originally seemed to occur only when not fully warmed up but now is happening at regular operating temperatures also.it has happened both while making turns and while traveling in a straight line. I often don't notice it has occurred until I try to accelerate or turn and discover the loss of power steering and that the tachometer is on "O" rpms. It has become a regularly re-occurring annoyance and has obvious danger potential. I took the car to a dealership for the recall on the win module and was told that the brand of module that this vehicle contained was not the one they were having problems with and would therefore not replace it. They also claimed that the problem we were having was not related to that part. Checking online I find that I am far from the first owner of these vehicles experiencing this problem and that Chrysler Corp. Seems to be in denial of a problem and is at a loss as to correction of the problem. Please add my complaint to the growing list of unresolved complaints relating to this vehicle.

- Delavan, WI, USA

Feb 052016

Grand Caravan

We have a 2010 Dodge Caravan that was built in June of 2010. It has 39,711 miles on it and three times this week, 02/03&04/2016, the engine shut off inadvertently while my wife was driving it at speeds up to 40 mph. The power steering and power brakes did not work and she let it coast top a stop, while breaking, pulling over to the side of the road. This was on a state route she put it in park and the car started all three times. Two of these incidents happened while our 2 middle school children were in the car. I called the Chrysler complaint bureau and they checked my VIN number and told me my vehicle was not included in their recent recall involving their win ignition key fob problems even though our vehicle is experiencing the same engine shut down as in their recall. I had the car checked with a computer and there are no code problems with the vehicle. The dealer I went to told me our vehicle was manufactured 6 days out of the June 17th. 2010 recall date. On checking my sticker on the driver door, it only gives 06/2010 as a mfg date. In the interest of safety for my wife and children it will be costing me just over $600 to have this fixed with the same parts as in the recall. Its hard for me to believe that back in 2010 as Chrysler was using these defective parts that after June they quit using them since the recall didn't take effect till June 26, 2014.

- Bolivar, OH, USA

Jan 292016

Grand Caravan

The vehicle stall while driving forward on the streets, in motion, it shuts off completely disabling power steering, brakes, etc.

- Wake Forest, NC, USA

Jan 072016

Grand Caravan

The vans engine shuts off whenever it wants. Driving down the road it just shuts down, all accessories continue to work such as fans radio etc. The steering locks up because the engine shuts down. As soon as I can stop I put it in park and turn the key. The car immediately starts and I continue to drive. There are no warning lights on and nothing flashes on the dash when it stalls. It just turns off as if I haven't turned the key all the way to run.

- Jackson, NJ, USA

Oct 062015

Grand Caravan

My 2010 Dodge Grand Caravan stalls without warning while driving. The stalling has occurred four times and each time I was almost rear ended. The last time it stalled was October 6, 2015 and the first time spring 2011. The stalling has occurred two times on a city street, once on the highway and once on a highway off ramp. It occurs at any speed. When the engine stalls, the van loses the power steering and brakes. Once I can stop the van and put it in park or neutral, it has restarted. When I took the van to the dealer no codes could be read. The engine stalling has occurred prior to and after the replacement ignition parts were installed from the March 1, 2011 (NHTSA reference #11V139000) recall and the June 26, 2014 (#14V373000) recall. The engine stalling is a very dangerous situation because it occurs without warning. After reading online there are many people having this same problem, so please investigate.

- Farmington Hills, MI, USA

Jul 232015

Grand Caravan

Steering wheel became extremely hard to turn when trying to park my car. It felt like the steering wheel was about to lock itself.

- Philadelphia, PA, USA

Jul 142015

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

My wife started our van and it didn't start. She got it started and went a few miles down the road. After stopping at a stop sign she took off and was going approximately 35 mph when the vehicle abruptly stalled. She lost power steering and was able to get it stopped before going into the ditch. Had she been traveling faster she probably would have wrecked. She had my two year old with her and is currently 13 weeks pregnant.....updated 11/02/15 updated 1/4/2016

- Royal Center, IN, USA

Apr 092015

Grand Caravan

As I began to slow to turn/come to a stop/veer into turning lane I lost the ability to accelerate and was unable to steer my vehicle. I had to put it in park turn it off and start it again to regain steering and acceleration abilities. It has happened 5 times since last fall but I don't have the date or mileage from when the first 3 times occurred so I started keeping up with mileage and date of happenings since I looked up recalls to figure out what was going on. At least 1 of my 4 precious children have been in the vehicle with me each and every time the problem has occurred. The description of the recall for mini vans in my make model and year for the ignition switching off matches these incidents 100% but mine doesn't have that recall on it. I would like to know why. If something happens to any of my children someone will be paying because of a lawsuit. I've been lucky every time the incidents have occurred because I have been slowing down. The only thing on the ignition has been my single key nothing hanging from it and no bumps were hit. "NHTSA further explained that "if the ignition key inadvertently moves into the 'off' or 'accessory' position, the engine will turn off, which will then depower various key safety systems, including, but not limited to airbags, power steering and power braking. Loss of functionality of these systems may increase the risk of crash and/or increase the risk of injury in the event of a crash.""

- Nunnelly, TN, USA

May 072015

Grand Caravan

While driving my 2010 Dodge Grand Caravan, on numerous occasions, I have lost all power leading to the inability to steer. Last event, I was in a round about and, switching into neutral, was barely able to prevent a crash. I have nothing attached to my key fob. This is the known ignition problem and I find it unacceptable that Chrysler thinks it is ok to wait until August to fix this. This is extremely dangerous. I do not have the means to get a new vehicle and with 2 young children, this is extremely dangerous. Please force them to move faster to correct this problem!!

- Bridport, VT, USA

May 082015

Grand Caravan

The mini van engine unexpectedly shut off while driving at a steady speed of 45 mph. I pulled over and restarted the engine and continued on normally. This was a dangerous condition since I lost brake and steering assist. I was almost rear ended by traffic behind me. There is a 2010 Dodge ignition recall that exactly describes my incident. However the recall only covers minivans built before June 17, 2010. My vehicle was built on November 8, 2010. I believe this recall should be expanded to all Grand Caravan built in 2010.

- Webster, NY, USA

Apr 072015

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

I was driving slowly, making a turn, and the power steering stopped working, then the braking stopped, and the car had no power. The stability control light came on. This has happened intermittently multiple times, and the dealership cannot get the car to repeat the error. It did have one key fob error on the codes, but that was many starts in the past. Other VIN's in this model/year have been recalled due to electrical/ignition problems. This is probably what is wrong with this car, but it is not under recall, and the dealership cannot figure out how to fix it.

- Beaver Falls, PA, USA

Jun 072014

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

In the first drive of the day (no matter what time of the day) within 4 blocks of my home, the vehicle stalls while driving. This has so far happened 8 times over the last 9 months. This incident has occurred with 3 different drivers and in the same exact location 7 out of the 8 times. Vehicle is always coasting (not accelerating) around 20 miles per hour. When this incident occurs, the engine turns off, which disables the steering, brakes, and acceleration. This leaves the driver and its passengers in serious, potentially lethal, danger. We have taken this vehicle multiple times to the dealership, and they claim that this vehicle is not included in the recall. They state that there are no error codes.

- Northville, MI, USA

Mar 032015

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

The vehicle cuts off at normal operating speed on bumpy surfaces or after going over bumps in the road. Vehicle lost power steering, braking, and the engine cuts off. This resulted in and emergency exit from the lane of travel. This has happened multiple times over the past 12 months. This appears to be the same symptoms of a current recall for the ignition switch on similar vehicles of this model. Dodge makes no attempt to assist with verifying that there is an issue.

- Carrollton, VA, USA

Jan 222015

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

While driving approximately 40 mph under normal conditions (50 degrees F, no rain/snow), the operator noticed a sudden and unexpected loss of power steering. Upon scanning the dash, the eps (stability control) lights was illuminated. A few seconds (maybe 5 - 15) later, the power breaking appeared to be lost. Operator is unsure if these functions were "simply" lost, or if the vehicle was actually powered down. Steering and breaking was extremely difficult to the extent that it was very difficult to physically control the vehicle enough to move to the side of the road without hitting any objects. Even braking was extremely difficult to do with significant force. After getting safely on the side of the road, the engine was immediately turned off. A few minutes later, the car was re-started and appeared to be functioning normally, although operator was unwilling to risk putting car into "drive". car was towed to dealer for analysis. If this had happened at higher speed, or when a quick stop was necessary, a severe crash likely would have occurred.

- Fletcher, NC, USA

Jul 172014

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

Several times while driving out of neighborhood the van will shut off without warning. Engine dies causing power steering to not function either. It has recently become more frequent and has now begun to die even after warming up and at higher speeds.

- Cumming , GA, USA

Feb 052014

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

I was driving down the road and I noticed that my steering was tight. When I looked down, my RPM's were on 0, my car had shut off and the traction control light came on. I pulled over to the side of the road, put car in park and it started right up. This happened again a few weeks after that, going the same speed. Brakes & steering gave out, was able to coast to side of road, put car in park and it started right up. On March 28th I was driving into work, going approx. 45-50 mph, noticed that my steering got tight, car had shut off again. Thankfully I was in the outside lane so I could pull over. Car started right up. It happened a 4th time on April 2, 2014. This time I felt the steering wheel getting tight, I put car in neutral and it started right up. Every time this happens my car shuts off first and then there is a 1-2 second delay before the traction control steering light comes on. My car is at the dealership right now, waiting to hear. I checked on the ignition recall for the 2010 Grand Caravan and I was told that my VIN# does not fall into the recall dates. This is very dangerous for myself, my family and others on the road. I am afraid to drive my car!!

- Mechanicville, NY, USA

Mar 282014

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

The ignition moved itself from start to accessory, shutting of the engine, disabling the power steering and brakes. Luckily I was already coming to a stop otherwise my lack of power steering and power brakes would have caused me to crash by the time I realized what had happened.

- Indianapolis, IN, USA