2011 Dodge Grand Caravan electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Dodge Grand Caravan:

2011 Dodge Grand Caravan Owner Comments (Page 1 of 10)

Jan 082017

Grand Caravan

The vehicle does not start intermediately and has been diagnosed as a problem with the fuel pump relay embedded in the tipm that cannot be accessed or repaired by normal means. This defect can cause the vehicle to shut down without warning causing a great safety problem. This same problem was experienced by the Dodge durango and other Chrysler vehicles and a recall was issued to fix this problem.

- Mobile, AL, USA

Dec 172016

Grand Caravan

Driving straight, approx 35 mph on 2-lane state highway passing through small town with rush hour traffic on both lanes and no shoulder. With no prior warning, all red instrument warning lights went on at once, including fuel pump/throttle, brakes and others. Car stalled dead and instantaneously lost power to steering and brakes, was impossible to control. Would not restart. Fortunately driver was able to steer vehicle partly off road into a driveway of busy store, blocking driveway to customers. State police were unable to get car in neutral to push to safe location. Police ordered car towed and it is currently awaiting diagnosis for totally integrated power module("tipm") failure at Dodge dealership. This was a life-threatening failure and if it had happened at nearly any other location or in adverse weather there would have been injury or death to driver and passengers. We have tow receipt. We don't know whether state police filed incident report. Many similar tipm failures of Dodge and Chrysler vehicles have been reported to NHTSA and you have recently rejected a center for auto safety petition for NHTSA intervention regarding this defect. Chrysler/Dodge is well aware of the problems with the tipm because 80,894 Jeep Wrangler and Dodge nitro vehicles were recalled in 2007 for the same problems. In that recall, defective tipms had a software problem that could cause the engine to stall. NHTSA should require Dodge to recall every model that has this same tipm installed and to immediately warn the public that their lives are in danger every time they drive their Dodge/Chrysler vehicle. It is unconscionable that the manufacturer and NHTSA have previously been informed of this dangerous defect and failed to protect the american public.

- New Preston, CT, USA

Jan 022015

Grand Caravan

The contact owns a 2011 Dodge Grand Caravan. The contact stated that the battery failed without warning. In addition, the windows rolled down and the locks locked and unlocked independently. The vehicle was towed to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the tipm module failed. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 75,000.

- Albuquerque, NM, USA

Sep 272016

Grand Caravan

Several things has been happening. Van would speed up for no apparent reason, it has stalled while driving, two front windows went down by themselves, I've had to try several times to start the van, its gotten a lot worse! took it to cr Dodge dealer in adrian mi had to pay $60 to diagnose it. They came up with thermostat and crankshaft position sensor labor $297.05 parts $76.20 took it home a couple days same crap. Put 02 oxygen sensor because it was also running really bad at times. A couple days later same crap. Took it back again said it needs a new fuel pump module. Had to take it to a different mechanic because it would take them at least 2 weeks to get one in.so around $500 for the pump. A few days later again hard to start, it seems like if there were a lot of moisture in the air or rain it was worse. So yesterday went out and was completely dead! got a jump it finally started. Turned it off tried to start it with the aftermarket remote starter wouldn't start again at all after that just cranks and I don't hear the fuel pump coming on. I told the "Dodge" service man that I read about the tipm and I thought it was that. He said no, he said it depends when and where the van was made"??" Dodge does not care about their customers!!!! I am sooooooo aggravated!!!!

- Adrian, MI, USA

Jun 122014

Grand Caravan

The contact owns a 2011 Dodge Grand Caravan. When the vehicle was started, the engine suddenly shut off. The vehicle was unable to restart and was towed to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the tipm failed. A bypass was installed on the tipm; however, the failure recurred multiple times. The manufacturer was notified. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 35,000.

- Orlando, FL, USA

Nov 212016

Grand Caravan

My tipm failed while driving on a highway near my house. Fuel delivery cut off while driving. The vehicle fortunately had enough momentum to get back home, but will not start at all. Diagnosed as a faulty tipm module. Doing some research, NHTSA has previously recalled a very similar tipm in the Grand Cherokee and durango, essentially allowing Chrysler to recall the vehicles and install a new relay that bypasses the tipm and allows fuel to flow. I encourage NHTSA to expand this recall to all affected 2010+ Chrysler vehicles with tipms in the strongest possible terms. I am very lucky that I wasn't stranded or seriously injured. Many other similar complaints exist online and even in the NHTSA forums.

- Davison, MI, USA

Aug 012016

Grand Caravan

My car will randomly not start. I paid $1200 to have the tipm fixed/replaced(?). it would still randomly not start after the "fix". dealership told me I have to wait until I cannot get it to start to bring it in...basically I have to be stranded and tow it before they can look at it since they could not duplicate the problem when I took it in 1 week after paying the $1200 for the "fix" that did not work.

- Auburn Hills, MI, USA

Oct 172016

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

Almost 67,000miles, 2011 Dodge Grand Caravan V6 automatic. Vehicle has become hard to start and will occasionally die or act fuel starved while driving at low speed (15-25mph). Took vehicle in to dealer for service and was told I have a faulty tipm module. After researching a bit online this appears to be a common issue for Dodge vehicles for years 2007-2015. For such a common issue I cannot understand why there is not a recall.

- Sachse, TX, USA

Sep 152016

Grand Caravan

Began with airbag light on panel coming on and random locking and unlocking of doors and dying while traveling at various speeds. All these happen wether the vehicle is in motion or not. Then it would only start using the remote starter and now it only starts when jumped by another running vehicle, even when the battery is fully charged(tested). It will simply crank and crank till battery is dead(about 10 minutes) unless it is connected to another running vehicle. It will start even if battery is close to dead then.

- Valparaiso, IN, USA

Oct 212016

Grand Caravan

Tipm failure resulting in fuel pump not able to operate correctly.

- Lafayette, LA, USA

Oct 092016

Grand Caravan

Accelerates on its own while it was stationary and going down the highway. It would not start when turning on. Had to replace the fuel pump and now being told that it needs the tipm replaced to start.

- Hardin, IL, USA

Oct 052016

Grand Caravan

Totally integrated power module (tipm) failed. Engine would not start while car was stationary. Fuel pump relay within the tipm was malfunctioning, preventing power from getting to the fuel pump, therefore preventing proper operation of the fuel pump. I understand this problem can also manifest itself as either loss of power while driving, or a continual running of the fuel pump, even when vehicle is off (thereby draining the battery).

- Canton, MA, USA

Sep 182016

Grand Caravan

Trouble starting the vehicle. It stays stuck on turning it over. You have to turn off turn it on again and again it will stay stuck if you don't turn it off. I'm afraid I will be left stranded. This happens every day and taking longer to start. I think its a faulty tipm.

- San Jose, CA, USA

Sep 232016

Grand Caravan

My 2011 Caravan has 68K miles on it. For the past few months, it will intermittently have problems starting. Everything seems fine until you turn it to crank and then it just makes a click noise. It will do this anywhere from 2 to 20 times until it finally cranks. It will be fine for days and then suddenly... no start. I've left it at my mechanic for one week last month and one week this month. They replaced the battery, but no avail. They have seen it in action (actually came to me because they are totally stumped too), but cannot replicate it. So I'm out $800 in car rental fees and no one can figure out why the thing is acting like it is. I'm worried I'm going to be stranded with a hand full of kids and a car that won't start. I don't like feeling like I can't trust my car. Dodge has been unhelpful as well, although I'm giving the dealership a shot at this problem again and taking it there. Another week of rental car fees - yay! from reading online and a quick youtube search, it appears I'm not alone with this problem. I just want it fixed, whatever the problem is.

- Austin, TX, USA

Sep 152016

Grand Caravan

Car (2011 Grand Caravan) would crank but not start. I had it towed to safford Dodge in springfield, Virginia. They diagnosed the problem as a bad fuel pump. I paid $950 for a tow and a new fuel pump. As soon as I drove the vehicle home, it was doing the exact same thing (crank but not start). Eventually, it started but, later in the day, it would not start at all. I contacted the dealer and made arrangements for it to be towed in again. Eventually, the service guy calls back and says they are having trouble pinpointing the problem. Before this point I had researched the problem and discovered the multiple issues with the tipm module. The next morning he calls my wife and tells her that we need a new tipm module and it's going to cost $1200 to replace it. She told him that we would pay for the tipm module provided they deducted the cost of the new fuel pump which we believe was replaced in error. Service guy was adamant that fuel pump was bad and that it had to be replaced. He said they had isolated the pump and confirmed that it had power coming to it before diagnosing that it needed to be replaced. This may be true but I have zero faith that this guy was telling me the truth. I have read several reports on the internet where people had their fuel pump replaced in error. I eventually went to the service manager. He was also insistent that the fuel pump failed simultaneously with the tipm module. I also asked him if they had replaced multiple tipm modules and he acted as if this was a very rare repair; however, when he insinuated that my fuel pump and tipm had failed simultaneously, he acted as if he had seen this several times?! my central concern is that there have been several reports of the tipm module failing abruptly at highway speed.

- Annandale, VA, USA

Sep 142016

Grand Caravan

I have two small children, and am concerned about this issue. My engine will not turn over, it "tics..tic..tic..", until I have attempted multiple times. This problem is erratic..2011 Dodge Grand Caravan, have been told it needs a tipm due to a "service bulletin" the dealership had. I do not have the $1150 to fix this! I am afraid to be stranded somewhere, and after looking into this apparently common issue, I see that it could lead to just random stalls which is scary. I do not have the money to fix it. My warranty has proven useless in that does not cover this. I sometimes have to attempt upwards of 10 times to finally get the engine to completely turn over. It also seems to run rough sometimes, particularly when up a hill, etc. I can not trust this vehicle to be dependable and since it is not that old, and it appears as if this is a known problem, I believe the manufacturer should issue a recall due to safety concerns if the vehicle were to stall. Dated of incident on this form is the most recent, but not the only time it has happened.

- Madison, AL, USA

Sep 092016

Grand Caravan

Vehicle began having issues starting, intermittently at first, about 3-4 weeks ago. 4 days ago, vehicles battery was dead, wouldn't start for several attempts. Stalled twice while driving 60 mph continued to not start, battery, alternator, starter, wiring all checked out okay with local repair shop. The fuel pump relay in the tpim (total integrated power module) was bad, required whole tpim to be replaced.

- Pflugerville, TX, USA

Aug 262016

Grand Caravan

Would not start on several occasions. Purchased new battery. Took it to local mechanic. Almost put in a new starter but researched it first on the internet. Seemed like it was a faulty tipm. Called local Chrysler dealer and told them the issues. After a week, they said I needed a new tipm ($1200) and would not cover the cost. Said that they did not know anything about a tipm recall. I did not get it replaced. Called Chrysler customer care and they said that I did not qualify for a recall. I have driven Chrysler Dodge Caravan for over 25 years and I am greatly disappointed that they are not standing behind their product. They know that there is an issue with all the tipms in their vehicles and they only recalled certain makes and models. Meanwhile, I hold my breath every time I try to start my car. I am retired and cannot afford to replace that part for that price. I had this car as a company car starting in January of 2011 and purchased it from ari in July of 2014.

- St Louis, MO, USA

Aug 262016

Grand Caravan

For the past year or so we have had check engine light on and off and have had it checked at Dodge dealerships and private mechanics. The code they kept coming up was a general code of "misfire" so Dodge convinced us to get the spark plugs fixed and to do fuel cleaner to our fuel tank because it was "probably that". after the fixes were made as a result of what Dodge told us to do, the same problems continued to occur. After several more times of the van "sputtering" down the road in both city and highway driving feeling like it was about to stall out which could have caused injury to my family or myself, it got to the point it would not even start. We took it to get fixed yet again thinking it was the fuel pump to find out it was the tipm. This is a part that is known to go wrong in Dodge vans yet there is no recall on it or any fix for it. I Transport my three kids in this vehicle that we still owe money on to find out one of its main components is faulty and there is no fix so it is over a grand out of our pockets (and several 100 other people) to get this part fixed. Not to mention the fact that our car is rendered useless until this is done. Dodge needs to be held accountable for this part that is faulty in 2011 grand carvans. Families don't need to be seriously hurt or even killed because this little part stops working mid drive (which happened to us but we were pulling out of the driveway with no one around). Please hold them accountable. If you can't then make someone else! it is not fair to the consumer who put their trust in Dodge! this has been a year and a half of constant issues that have come out of our wallets while the car maker sits pretty.

- New Cumberland, PA, USA

Feb 242016

Grand Caravan

The contact owns a 2011 Dodge Grand Caravan. The contact stated that the vehicle hesitated to start without warning. The failure recurred approximately five to ten times intermittently. When the failure occurred, the battery became inoperable. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic, but the cause of the failure was unable to be determined. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 120,000.

- Los Fresnos, TX, USA