3.7

2012 Dodge Grand Caravan brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Dodge Grand Caravan:

2012 Dodge Grand Caravan Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Jan 182014

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

Chrysler refuses to acknowledge a serious defect in the braking system of the Dodge Grand Caravan. I purchased a new 2012 Grand Caravan from a dealership. On July 31, 2013, quirk dealership in braintree, MA replaced rear rotors on the van at 17,000 miles because "rear rotors were very marked up and had rust rings." On January 18, 2014, same dealership told me that rotors were pitted again at 27,000 miles and had to be replaced for $502 (out of pocket). When I protested that mopar parts should not fail in less than 6 months, the service person told me that "Dodge are known for these problems." I contacted Chrysler customer assistance to see if they would cover their defective parts and have been given the total run around. Chrysler offered me $60 off the price of the brake job but I declined because factory parts should not fail so quickly. I checked the internet (lemon law blog, car complaints, etc.) and found hundreds if not thousands of complaints similar to mine for premature brake failure in 2006-2012 Caravan & town and country's. Chrysler is aware of this problem and is trying to avoid responsibility for repairing this known defect by passing the cost on to american consumers. A recall should be ordered for these vehicles based on premature brake failure that Chrysler is deliberately ignoring.

- Randolph, MA, USA

Mar 302012

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

I purchased this particular vehicle 08/18/12 with approximately 17,000 miles. I was told the brakes had already been replaced. After driving the vehicle to approximately 35,000 miles, I was told the brakes needed to be replaced again. Now, at 60,000 miles, I'm being told, once again, that the brakes need to be replaced. After owning multiple vehicles throughout my driving experience (28 years), I have never experienced such a recurring problem with any vehicle I've ever owned. Extensive online research reveals that this is an issue the majority of Dodge Grand Caravan, Chrysler town and country and Volkswagen owners have experienced as well, and I would imagine this is not the first complaint you've seen regarding this issue? I have not contacted the manufacturer about this issue. I should also add that the brake work done at approximately 35,000 miles was done by a family friend with over 25 years experience in the automotive repair industry, due to an extremely high estimate from the shop I currently use. (in excess of $650).

- Elkridge, MD, USA

Nov 142013

Grand Caravan

The rear brakes on the Dodge minivans were designed poorly. The calipers do not release properly, and the clearance on the brake pads is too tight and causes the pads to get stuck. Last night we had the brake hang on one of the rear brakes after using the parking brake. The pads stayed close to the caliper and caused the entire rotor to heat up from the excessive friction. Pads, rotors and calipers were replaced last week, full brake fluid replacement done at Dodge dealership this week. Everything checked out, now caliper is jammed. Numerous complaints from others are on the internet for the 2008 - 2012 (and some 2013+) model Grand Caravan due to poorly designed rear brake system.

- Englewood, CO, USA