2012 Dodge Grand Caravan engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Dodge Grand Caravan:

2012 Dodge Grand Caravan Owner Comments

Jul 012016

Grand Caravan

While attempting to turn left onto two lane highway, van surged, all dashboard lights came on and then had almost no acceleration. Had to maneuver into center turning lane and then was able to get van into parking lot of store. Engine was revving but van would not go above 10mph. Van was towed to local dealership tonight. This is the third time this has happened since late December of 2015. Main computer (tipm) has been replaced twice already by dealership. Dodge did help cover part of repair cost first time, never heard back from them when it happened again in the end of February and just filed third claim / complaint tonight. Just wondering if they are waiting for someone in my family to be seriously injured or killed when the vehicle does this before acknowledging that there is an inherent issue with this van or the parts they are repairing it with.

- Atglen, PA, USA

Jun 252015

Grand Caravan

The contact owns a 2012 Dodge Grand Caravan. While driving 60 mph with the cruise control activated, the vehicle's RPM reading level increased and the vehicle began to slow down while the battery warning light illuminated. The failure occurred on several occasions. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 55,000.

- West Salem, OH, USA

Oct 252014

Grand Caravan

I was entering on a busy interstate when my 2012 Dodge Grand Caravan R/T got to about 50+ mph the gas pedal kept accelerating and would not stop the RPM gage hit 6 the only way I got it to stop was to put the vehicle in neutral and pull of the road the rmp's kept going as did the engine I turned the van off in neutral and put it in park. When I started the van back up it instantly started doing the same thing in park. I turned the van back off and waited about 5 minutes and when I restarted the van it seemed normal. Took it to the dealership that day on a Saturday they called me Monday and said it happened with their technicians driving and he removed the floor mat that had been in there for 2 and a half years and it was fine they told me the floor mat got stuck under the pedal! common sense says it would stop the pedal from being pushed down not pull the pedal to the floor. But what do I know right!"!?!"! I am just a female and mother to 2 small children who were with me when it happened. It did this again with my husband driving on a 6 lane road when he pulled out from a stop. This time the floor mat had not been there. Chrysler needs to do something about this matter before a run away vehicle kills someone! they keep telling me they have no idea what the problem is caused from because no codes come up on diagnostics. However if you search the issue online it points to the tipm and the fuel pump not shutting off. The safety issue of this is pretty severe if you ask me. A vehicle that accelerates on its own is pretty serious and dangerous not only for my family but to the general public as well! I do not want to just get rid of the vehicle it is the first brand new vehicle my family has owned and even purchased the extended warranty with the hopes of keeping the vehicle for at least 6 years and now this is not a safe family vehicle! please help with this issue!

- Hudson, IL, USA

Apr 172015

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

While accelerating to 65 mph on an interstate my gas pedal became stuck and began to accelerate my van to a higher speed, I attempted to resolve this issue by tapping the brake hoping the system would reset or disengage but it did not. I also checked my floor mat to ensure it was not interfering but it moved easily. To stop the acceleration, I had to physically pull on the gas pedal in which it finally released from being stuck and allowed me to drive at a normal rate of speed.

- Bettendorf, IA, USA

Jan 042015

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

On January 4th, while pulling into a neighbor's driveway, I tapped the brakes to stop (I was going less than 5mph, so I didn't need to press hard) the engine suddenly accelerated hard. I immediately slammed on the brakes harder to stop the acceleration, and my van ended up five to ten feet in my neighbor's yard. Two weeks later, I was pulling into a parking space at my son's work. I was moving slow and straightening the wheel approximately two to three feet from the sidewalk curb, when the engine acceleration surged and my van lurched forward. I again slammed on the brakes in order to not slam into the building wall just past the sidewalk, the van stopped on top of the sidewalk after hitting the car parked next to my van (as my wheels were still turned from turning into the parking space. The damage to my van and the car hit by my van totaled over $10,000. If a pedestrian had been on the sidewalk in front of my van, they would have been seriously injured or killed. Both times the engine unexpectedly surged, my foot was on the brake, and the van was traveling less than 2 to 3 miles per hour. When the acceleration surged the van forward, it was extremely hard and fast as if the accelerator had been pounded to the floorboard. I have checked with my local Dodge dealer, who states there is no problem with this van and they have had absolutely no complaints about unexpected and powerful acceleration on the Dodge Grand Caravan. I find this hard to believe as there are many other reports on Dodge forum boards stating this exact unexpected and dangerous acceleration. I am afraid to drive my 2012 Dodge Grand Caravan.

- Howell, NJ, USA

Jan 132015

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

While driving my 2012 3.6L Dodge Grand Caravan with a 160 amp alternator the battery light came on, within 5 miles the transmission control system stopped working. Further all of the system lights on the dash came on and the radio and HVAC system stopped functioning. The cause of these system conditions was the denso TN421000-0770 alternator failing. I believe that this is the same alternator that is used on vehicles that are included in NHTSA recall no. : 14V-634. Chrysler claims that the alternator fails only on cars that are equipped with ehps. I believe that my alternator failed in a similar fashion to this recall. The Dodge and Chrysler minivans that are equipped with a 3.6L engine and the denso 160 amp alternator should be recalled. In the end my car stalled in the middle of the road which could have resulted in a terrible accident had I been on the highway.

- Clarence, NY, USA

Sep 152013

Grand Caravan 4WD 6-cyl

Around 37,000 miles, check engine light came on, shortly after purchased, light would go off and on periodically. After a several weeks light stayed on and started blinking, at this time van was vibrating and sounded like it would cut off. Dealership ended up replacing engine head under warranty. A few months later light came on again, van did not want to accelerate, dealership could not find anything wrong with van. At times van does not want to accelerate as it should. After a delay, it will accelerate, but not like it should. Around 60,000 miles, ABS light and traction light have come on and cruise control will no longer work. Back hatch door of van locked while open and would not shut. The door had to be tied down from the inside in order to drive it to the dealership. Dealership says hinges have been bent. Hinges have no marks of any kind, and there has been no damage to the vehicle. There's a whole lot going wrong for a 2012 vehicle.

- Asheboro, NC, USA

Nov 042014

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

Was at stoplight when 2012 Grand Caravan (crew) accelerated into the middle of the intersection. I had to stand on the brake to stop and was almost struck by cross traffic. The van would then move forward sluggishly (as if no power) and at different times accelerate to high speeds (80+ mph). I called the dealer and parked it.took it to dealer next day. Since my van had 38K miles on it they wanted to charge me over $300 to repair the electronic throttle control. The code (P2138) showed that the accelerator pedal position sensor was bad. Since my van had just went out of warranty, I fussed at them and they gave me a "goodwill" discount for me to pay $100. This defect is life threatening!

- Denison, TX, USA

Jan 012014

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

Engine runs very rough, idles low almost dies at intersections. Does not have power when gas pedal is pushed down, looses power while driving as well. These vans have something majorly wrong with the engines and transmissions. Dodge needs to investigate and recall/repair these vans. They are hazardous. I cannot wait to be rid of mine before something happens to me and my four children. Doesn't sound like I'm the only one with the problems either. Maybe Dodge/Chrysler is going to be like GM and let people die before repair a minor part. Very disappointed in this vehicle. It will be my last Dodge purchase.

- Muscatine, IA, USA

Mar 272014

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

No acceleration when gas pedal pushed, rpms raced but not able to proceed. Warning light indicating electronic throttle problem. Pulled off the highway, turned off the ignition, sat for 5 minutes. Restarted the vehicle and drove immediately to the dealership. Told them to call me when it was corrected. Fortunately, I had purchased the extended warranty on this minivan due to having huge transmission problems with a 2002 Honda Odyssey. The service manager said the technician who tore the electronic throttle apart found fiber in it. The radio was also not working but they said that there was a wire that came loose. Radio now working as well as the electronic throttle. No charge because I purchased the extended warranty. Upon reading other electronic throttle problems at this site I felt compelled to jot down my experience.

- Wiconisco, PA, USA

Nov 182013

Grand Caravan

Wife was merging on to highway and the throttle stuck open and the gas pedal was also stuck. The vehicle accelerated up to 90 mph and was hitting 5000 rpms. She had to stick her foot under pedal to lift it away from floor and get the car to slow. This problem nearly resulted in a major accident as it was a busy time of morning. Vehicle is currently at a dealership in san antonio being looked at.

- Converse, TX, USA

Aug 112013

Grand Caravan

The contact owns a 2012 Dodge Caravan. The contact stated while driving 30 mph, the electronic throttle control warning lamp illuminated. The vehicle also began to accelerate without depressing the accelerator pedal. The vehicle was not repaired nor was the failure diagnosed. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 13,000. The approximate current mileage was 13,100.

- Plymouth , MA, USA

May 122012

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

Passenger side sliding door rattles as if open dealer replace door panel did not fix said left side taillight was cause replace it did not fix said manufacturer left brake clips off brake pads replace still rattles told know its my imagination also transmission problems mash gas easy to maintain speed have to keep mashing almost to floor before any thing happens then it drops down into passing gear almost making you rear end vehicle ahead of you sometimes on take off will start going then hesitate causing a possible crash situation dealer said transmission needed computer update this made it worst put two more update still not shifting right have made manufacturer aware have open star case with them still can not get problems resolve have parked van at 15685 miles I feel that its unsafe for my wife an grand kids to be in ! I have several mech drive it they say something wrong also.

- Roberta, GA, USA

Mar 012013

Grand Caravan

The contact owns a 2012 Dodge Grand Caravan. The contact stated that while driving 40 mph, the accelerator pedal became stuck in open throttle position. The contact stated that the vehicle began to accelerate and she had to utilize the emergency brake in order to stop the vehicle from accelerating any farther. The vehicle was towed to the dealer for inspection where they advised that they could not diagnose the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the defect. The failure mileage was 20,900.

- Fuquay Varina, NC, USA