2013 Dodge Grand Caravan engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Dodge Grand Caravan:

2013 Dodge Grand Caravan Owner Comments

Feb 262016

Grand Caravan

There is not enough room, top to bottom, to safely accept a men's us size 11.5 shoe. With my heel planted on the floor, I am unable to freely pivot my foot from the the gas pedal to the brake and back again. The top of my shoe gets firmly stuck trying to move between the two pedals. If not completely stuck, my foot motion is impeded and slowed down in many other ways. Only, with a lot of thought and adjustment of my foot and heel position am I able to operate the brake and accelerator at all. This low foot clearance significantly lowers my response time when I need to hit the brake in an emergency. It requires a lot of extra thought under normal driving conditions as well, taking attention away from the road. This has never been an issue (or even a thought) in many years of driving several other makes and models of vehicles. I own a 1999 Grand Caravan that has plenty of foot room in it. Nobody should have to think about how they need to specially positron their foot to operate the brake or accelerator. For safe driving, reaction time is everything. Dodge has designed this vehicle with cramped foot-room that can drastically reduce the time it takes to activate the brake and could cause an accident that a freely available brake pedal may have avoided. I had the identical problems testing a newer Dodge charger and a Chrysler town and country. I am making the assumption that this cramped and unsafe design is a standard that covers many Chrysler makes and models. This issue affects all driving conditions especially starting and stopping the vehicle. See 5 pictures with a size 11.5 shoe shown. Pics 1-3 show the brake position and how the vehicle does not allow me to pivot back any farther from to brake. The gas position shows a natural pivot position when going from the gas to the brake. The foot is stuck there. This is very dangerous.

- Fort Wayne, IN, USA

Dec 202015

Grand Caravan

The contact owns a 2013 Dodge Grand Caravan. While driving approximately 72 mph, there was a warning chime and the vehicle independently decelerated to approximately 40 mph without warning. The vehicle would not accelerate past 40 mph as the electronic throttle control and electronic stability control warning indicators illuminated. The contact powered the vehicle off and back on and was able to drive the vehicle home without incident. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 31,000. Updated 02/12/16

- Spencerport, NY, USA

May 182015

Grand Caravan

Bought car 2013 may, took back twice to dealer due to van stuttering, car staying on same speed, ( I'm not pressing the pedal) car turning off when I use automatic starter and place the key in the ignition. Dealer found nothing wrong with it and told me it must have been a fluke. A while later we move to California took car for tire rotation explain to dealer radio was shutting off and popping noise coming from it hot to touch, again till dealer about the gear sticking when I'm driving in the van running hard do you have found nothing. Took another two times to the dealer after words with the same issues till finally dealer phone number for uconnect helpline they requested dealer to keep the car for the 4th time of the month of may this year provide a rental car. They continues to be in the dealership now for 2 weeks. They finally found the problem with the radio(2 years it took. Radio over heating) and replacing it and continue trying to figure out what is wrong with the gears, why van run. Van has another frint wheel problem too. My issue has been sent out to the resolution center for Chrysler Dodge. My case manager advised me to trade in my van. I thought that was an acceptable resolution for me. The van continues to be at dealer they are trying to fix it they don't know what's wrong with it.Y the van is unsafe to drive it stays on the same speed no matter what you do after a long drive you push the accelerator you let go of the accelerator and it stays on 55 or hight speed no matter what. Been complaining about this issue for 2 years. Resolution found a manager stated to me that the van is under warranty and they will try to continue to fix it. I stated to known that the vans and lemon and unsafe to drive it they do not see it that way

- Yucca Valley, CA, USA

May 142015

Grand Caravan

Was driving down busy city expressway frontage road at approx 40 mph. Accelerated and passed the slower-moving vehicle ahead of me....upon clearing the vehicle I was passing, released my foot from accelerator, but vehicle failed to return to prior pass speed and instead continued to accelerate faster. Attempted to brake....pumped the brake hard when that didn't work but no luck. Held the brake pedal in to the floor as far as it would go to counter the engine audibly reving to gain more speed (hoping to slow the accelerate process as much as possible and maybe hold it at its current rate despite the engine still trying to go faster). I rode out the uncontrolled acceleration issue until coming to a long turn lane where I veered off to get away from other cars. Wth a busy intersection approaching quickly ahead of me and the braking not resolving the issue, I threw the vehicle into park and after a brief time it finally slowed to a stop. This is the only thing that worked...I even checked to see if gas pedal was physically stuck somehow on the floor mat (it was not), and lifted up from underneath it with my foot to verify this, during this attempt to regain speed control..I believe it was this in addition to putting vehicle in "park" that actually stopped the engine acceleration/rev so the vehicle could physically stop... II is valid to note that I previously took this vehicle into the dealership (around 36000 miles) for evaluation with prior concerns over the engine/transmission not seeming to function right/smoothly....the dealership reported that "they could find nothing wrong with it." & it was returned to me with no adjustment/repair. This vehicle has several of theory same complaints on the web (acceleration stick/engine/transmission) over a span of several year models & nothing is being done about it or even acknowledging it...huge safety issues here.

- Moline, IL, USA

Apr 132015

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

After fueling van completely the engine stalls numerous time until the fuel gauge drops down about 1/8th below the full mark. This has actually happened many times in the last six to eight months and it always happens right after fueling to completely full. This happened most recently in a busy intersection with an elderly lady in the back.

- N. Wilkesboro, NC, USA

May 272013

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

When I bought my vehicle it was okay then when I started driving it more and more I decided that I wanted to stop I felt like it was going to accelerate and stop on its own and it fell as if it was driving by itself I took it back to the dealership and they said there's no problem with it that's the way the vehicle was manufactured but it felt as if it was changing gears on its own and it is a minivan with no stick so I was figuring that there is something really wrong with it after readingthe reviews I come to the configuration that I am not the only one dealing with the same problem I've had the vehicle now for over a year and feel the same issue and the vehicle I started to make weird noises underneath the hood and I'm not sure what it is it is still covered under manufacturer warranty but I'm not too sure for how much longer or if I could even pick up the cost if it was to break down I am terribly disappointed in my purchase and will not buya Dodge again totally disappointed.

- Denham Springs, LA, USA

Feb 012013

Grand Caravan

The contact owns as 2013 Dodge Grand Caravan. The contact stated that while driving various speeds, the vehicle accelerated and decelerated independently. The vehicle was taken to the dealer multiple times and they were unable to duplicate the failure and stated that the vehicle was up to standard. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 200. The current mileage was 12,900.

- Sydney , IL, USA

Feb 062013

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

My wife was driving early morning, while entering the freeway, she accelerated and crossed lanes. When she removed her foot from the accelerator, the van kept accelerating. She was between two semi trucks so she tapped the brakes and started hitting the cruise control buttons. The van kept accelerating. She was able to change lanes towards the berm and started to apply the brakes. She reached a speed of about 85 mph. As she was braking, the engine was still trying to accelerate. She was able to pull the van off the road and eventually was able to stop the vehicle and turned the ignition off. There was smoke coming from the brakes from the forced stop. Restarting the van after a few minutes, she proceeded safely to work. After rethinking the situation, she contacted Dodge and had the vehicle towed to the dealership. They tested the van and found no codes in the computer. The following week, a technician test drove the van and it accelerated uncontrollably also. He wrote that the pedal was not stuck. He put the van in neutral twice and turned the key off, and restarted the van and the RPM's were at 4,000. He then pulled off the road. He waited a while and then restarted the van and it ran normal. The technician did state that there were some codes (C212A, B192D, & B18A8) the dealer contacted Chrysler Corp. And they sent a technicians out to investigate.

- Eastlake, OH, USA

Jun 082013

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

The day I picked up this new 2013 Dodge Grand Caravan SE/avp (6-8-13) I noticed a noise upon deceleration, just before stopping; and also when on a neighborhood street and going 15 to 20 mph. As best I can describe it, it sounds like a turkey call coming from the area in front of the driver. If car is shifted into neutral the noise stops. Drove car for 500 miles hoping noise would stop, then brought it to dealer. Dealer calls it a "flutter" call it what you want, they checked everything over under the hood and could not find anything. They said they would refer it to Chrysler. I filed a complaint with Chrysler. Since the first time, car has been back to dealer two more times. Last time Chrysler told them to replace the throttle body. This did not work. So now they are just guessing. I asked Chrysler to send a factory man to check it out, they said they can't do that, they have to work with the dealer. I've asked them for a "loner" car but they refused saying my car is still drivable. Dealer says they can do nothing more until they hear from Chrysler. I bought this van to take things to Virginia this summer and to Florida this winter. I have no confidence in it for a long trip. I cancelled my Virginia trip and lost a night's deposit on a hotel room. I asked them to take the car back and give me another one, and of course they said no. This is probably going to end up via the lemon law in court.

- East Greenwich, RI, USA

Dec 012012

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2013 Dodge Grand Caravan. The contact stated that there was too much space between the accelerator and the brake pedal, causing his foot to continuously become trapped between both pedals when changing from one to the other. The manufacturer was notified who advised the contact that the accelerator pedal and the brake pedal were within specifications and conformed to the NHTSA regulations. The contact stated that he filed a complaint with the manufacturer. The failure mileage was 204....updated 01/23/13 updated 2/4/2013

- Farmington Hills, MI, USA