2015 Dodge Grand Caravan body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2015 Dodge Grand Caravan:

2015 Dodge Grand Caravan Owner Comments

May 252016

Grand Caravan

On 2 separate occasions, while in park with the engine running, the corresponding side doors opened up when the front door was in the process of being closed. The first time this happened was on the passenger side slider, when the front door was being closed. This happened on a busy 8 lane interstate during rush hour, while parked in the breakdown lane awaiting a tow truck for our U-haul truck/trailer breakdown. I watched in horror as 3 of my 5 dogs jumped out and 1 ran into the oncoming traffic. This dog, my male collie, ran to my husband when his name was called, and just in the nick of time, as an 18 wheeler was locking up his brakes to try an avoid killing him. We managed to get the 3 dogs, unharmed, back into the van with the other 2 dogs. Another incident happened about a month later, while in park with engine running, as I was closing the drivers door, the slider door opened up, but this time there was no occupants in the back. I took the van to the local dealership service dept. And was told there were no listed recalls for this. He stated that another customer had come in complaining of the rear hatch door opening up while the van was being driven. He stated that the service technicians have to be able see the problem happening to assess the situation for repair, so he replaced the key fob stating that it could possibly be malfunctioning causing the problems, but if another incident of this sort happens, to come back. He also suggested that the child safety feature of locking the rear doors from the top buttons, be placed on when occupants are in the back.

- Okeechobee, FL, USA

May 012015

Grand Caravan

My vehicle was struck in the drivers side door by another vehicle. The entire side of the van was affected, from the wheels to the bumpers. I feel the vehicle that struck my van was doing at least 20 mph at the time of impact and the side impact air bags did not deploy. In my research I have found that impacts from 8 to 18 mph should cause these side air bags to deploy. This is very concerning for myself and the safety of others with these types of vehicles. Chrysler had an "independent" investigator inspect the van before any repairs were completed. I was not asked to be present at the time of the inspection or given a copy of the report. I will be attempting to contact the "independent" investigator for a copy of the report but don't feel that I will have much luck. There were four children in the van along with my spouse when the accident happened and thankfully no critical injuries were sustained. I would like to know if the air bags were supposed to work. The vehicle is currently being repaired at the dealership I purchased it at.

- Columbus, OH, USA

Apr 182015

Grand Caravan

Bought the vehicle Saturday 4/18/2015. The vehicle was taken in for wash and fill up as my wife and I signed the paperwork. Following signing paperwork we found the driver side bottom trim popped out. The clip that holds the small trim piece in was broke. Later in the day my wife got her arm pinched hard by the driver side auto closing door leaving a nasty bruise on both sides of her arm. The door hesitated to reopen and continued to close on her arm. Took van back to dealer on Monday 4/20/15 to have trim piece fixed. Found out they had to order the part. The service manager said this was not the first time they saw this issue. After looking at the popped trim piece I noticed the bottom corner of the van behind the popped trim had began to rust out with the paint chipped. Now will have to have paint and new trim piece on a brand new vehicle. Regarding the auto door closing the service manager said she was not aware of any sensitivity settings but would look into it to avoid the injury happening again.

- Grove City, PA, USA