CarComplaints.com Notes: The Dodge Intrepid, Stratus & other Chrysler sedans are infamous for oil sludge problems with the 2.7L V6 engine. If someone offers to sell you a 2.7L V6 model, it's only worth the price of the scrap metal it's going to shortly turn into.

NOTE: Only the 2.7L V6 has the oil sludge problem. Our "Avoid like the Plague" designation is ONLY for models with the 2.7L V6 engine. All other available engines are very reliable with no major problems.

Even with regular maintenance, the oil sludge defect eventually destroys the 2.7L engine typically around 80,000-100,000 miles. The only true fix we know about is to put in the larger 3.2L engine, which has a great reputation.

This issue was never deemed a safety defect by the Feds, so there was no recall. In the end, Chrysler got away with FOUR YEARS worth of defective 2.7L V6 engines in their sedans.

8.0

2. replaced starter and checked battery (1 reports)
1999 Dodge Intrepid electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1999 Dodge Intrepid:

1999 Dodge Intrepid Owner Comments

Sep 232004

Intrepid 3.2L V6

Every so often my ignition would just click & the car wouldn't start. I would have to wait a minute & keep trying over & over. It wouldn't make a sound. Sept. 04 was the first time

I took it in for this problem & they couldn't figure a damn thing out. Took it back 11-04.

They replaced battery & charged me $105. It still did it. Took it back 11-06. Couldn't find nothing. Took it back 01-07. Couldn't find nothing. Now it's 5-08 and it still does it.

I wish I could find someone else having this problem. HELP!

- , Saint Paul, MN, USA

Jul 202007

Intrepid 2.7L

IF YOU HAVE STARTING PROBLEMS THEN REPLACE YOUR STARTER AND CHECK THE BATTERY TO MAKE SURE IT IS CHARGED AND WORKING GOOD

- , Brooklyn, NY, USA

Mar 032007

Intrepid ES 3.2LV6

When starting the car the switch doesn't turn. It just clicks like a lamp switch and the car will not start. Can u help me?

- , Hazleton, PA, USA