CarComplaints.com Notes: The Dodge Intrepid, Stratus & other Chrysler sedans are infamous for oil sludge problems with the 2.7L V6 engine. If someone offers to sell you a 2.7L V6 model, it's only worth the price of the scrap metal it's going to shortly turn into.

NOTE: Only the 2.7L V6 has the oil sludge problem. Our "Avoid like the Plague" designation is ONLY for models with the 2.7L V6 engine. All other available engines are very reliable with no major problems.

Even with regular maintenance, the oil sludge defect eventually destroys the 2.7L engine typically around 80,000-100,000 miles. The only true fix we know about is to put in the larger 3.2L engine, which has a great reputation.

This issue was never deemed a safety defect by the Feds, so there was no recall. In the end, Chrysler got away with FOUR YEARS worth of defective 2.7L V6 engines in their sedans.

7.5

2. water neck cooling pipe replaced (1 reports)
2000 Dodge Intrepid AC / heater problems

AC / heater problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2000 Dodge Intrepid:

2000 Dodge Intrepid Owner Comments

Jun 122004

Intrepid 3.2L

Heat hasn't worked in years! Tried everything! What else can I do?

- , Bolingbrook, IL, USA

Feb 112011

Intrepid 3.2L V6

My 2000 dodge intrepid has been a nightmare. I've had little problems along the way, but now that I'm over 100,000, I'm really having to dish the money out. Every time I turn around, something is wrong. It's a nightmare each day. Do not buy a 2000 Dodge Intrepid unless you like giving money away.

- , Rockmart, GA, USA

Jan 012008

Intrepid 2.7L Dohc

Not having heat in the summer is nothing to complain about, but when it's in the winter and cold, it's a major problem. After allowing my car to idle for 20 minutes before driving my children to school I was shocked when I turned on the heat and was greeted with cold air. I didn't think much of it though, because as long as I was driving, warm air blew, but when I stopped at an intersection, traffic light, or put my foot on the brake for any reason, COLD air blew from the heater. The problem seemed to have corrected itself, but it is warmer now and I haven't used the heater in a while. I feel as though I am driving a ghost car. I have more complaints, the engine, the trunk release, the windshield wipers, the driver's side back door lock, the passenger side automatic window, the leak around my trunk, the headlights, the oil light, the check engine light, the brakes, tire rods, etc. The only thing I don't have a complaint about is the car's body.

- , Birmingham, AL, USA

Jan 012008

Intrepid 2.7L Dohc

Just can't figure it out, it's not the antifreeze, the radiator or the heater core. We are out of ideas on what to do with this thing! I live in ND, it's freezing, so if anyone has an idea....

- , Powers Lake, ND, USA