- May 6: Chrysler Recalls Dodge Journeys To Fix Power Steering Fluid Leaks recalls | 20 days ago
- April 22: Chrysler Recalls 1.1 Million Vehicles For Rollaway Risk recalls | 34 days ago
- April 2: Chrysler Recalls Ram 1500, Dodge Durango and Jeep Grand Cherokee recalls | 54 days ago
- March 9: Fiat Chrysler Orders 3 Recalls to Fix 3 Problems recalls | 78 days ago
- March 1: Continental Airbag Lawsuit Filed After Massive Recall news | 86 days ago
2002 Dodge Intrepid
cooling system Problems
CarComplaints.com Notes: The Dodge Intrepid, Stratus & other Chrysler sedans are infamous for oil sludge problems with the 2.7L V6 engine. If someone offers to sell you a 2.7L V6 model, it's only worth the price of the scrap metal it's going to shortly turn into.
NOTE: Only the 2.7L V6 has the oil sludge problem. Our "Avoid like the Plague" designation is ONLY for models with the 2.7L V6 engine. All other available engines are very reliable with no major problems.
Even with regular maintenance, the oil sludge defect eventually destroys the 2.7L engine typically around 80,000-100,000 miles. The only true fix we know about is to put in the larger 3.2L engine, which has a great reputation.
This issue was never deemed a safety defect by the Feds, so there was no recall. In the end, Chrysler got away with FOUR YEARS worth of defective 2.7L V6 engines in their sedans.
Worst 2002 Intrepid cooling system Problems
Click on a problem below to read more.
- water pump failure6
- overheated with no warning, ruined engine4
- gasket that connects coolant tank to engine busted off2
- coolant leak1
- cooling system relief value failure1
- knocking noise in engine1
- thermostat running hot1
- water outlet blowing coolant out1
- NHTSA: Engine And Engine Cooling: Cooling System15
- NHTSA: Engine And Engine Cooling: Cooling System: Fan2
Stay Up to Date
Compare Dodge Intrepid Model Years
Curious how the 2002 Intrepid compares to other years?
Check out our Dodge Intrepid overview to see the most problematic years, worst problems and most recently reported complaints with the Intrepid.