- November 19: Chrysler Recalls Jeep Grand Cherokees and Dodge Durangos recalls | 18 days ago
- November 18: Dodge Dart Recalled to Fix Windshield Wiper Problems recalls | 19 days ago
- November 16: Lawsuit: Dodge Ram Trucks Emit Illegal Emissions news | 21 days ago
- November 14: Chrysler Recalls Jeep Cherokees and Dodge Vipers recalls | 23 days ago
- October 19: Chrysler Recalls Vehicles With Alternators That May Cause Fires recalls | 49 days ago
2002 Dodge Intrepid
CarComplaints.com Notes: The Dodge Intrepid, Stratus & other Chrysler sedans are infamous for oil sludge problems with the 2.7L V6 engine. If someone offers to sell you a 2.7L V6 model, it's only worth the price of the scrap metal it's going to shortly turn into.
NOTE: Only the 2.7L V6 has the oil sludge problem. Our "Avoid like the Plague" designation is ONLY for models with the 2.7L V6 engine. All other available engines are very reliable with no major problems.
Even with regular maintenance, the oil sludge defect eventually destroys the 2.7L engine typically around 80,000-100,000 miles. The only true fix we know about is to put in the larger 3.2L engine, which has a great reputation.
This issue was never deemed a safety defect by the Feds, so there was no recall. In the end, Chrysler got away with FOUR YEARS worth of defective 2.7L V6 engines in their sedans.
Worst 2002 Intrepid engine Problems
Click on a problem below to read more.
- engine failure44
- oil sludge resulting in engine failure43
- oil light comes on at idle & low RPMs24
- oil sludge in the engine24
- timing chain tensioner broke11
- engine light comes on8
- engine ticking noise6
- blown head gasket (2.7L engine) fried bearings4
- hard to start4
- blown head gasket2
- difficulties starting & won't stay running2
- blown cylinder head gasket (3.5l engine)1
- intake gasket failure1
- knocking noise1
- oil leak1
- water pump going bad and making it look like blown heads1
- water pump leaking coolant into engine1
- NHTSA: Engine And Engine Cooling: Engine90
- NHTSA: Engine And Engine Cooling82
- NHTSA: Engine And Engine Cooling: Engine: Gasoline11
- NHTSA: Engine And Engine Cooling: Engine: Gasoline: ...6
- NHTSA: Vehicle Speed Control6
- NHTSA: Engine4
- NHTSA: Engine And Engine Cooling: Engine: Other Fuel ...1
Stay Up to Date
Compare Dodge Intrepid Model Years
Curious how the 2002 Intrepid compares to other years?
Check out our Dodge Intrepid overview to see the most problematic years, worst problems and most recently reported complaints with the Intrepid.