Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The Dodge Intrepid, Stratus & other Chrysler sedans are infamous for oil sludge problems with the 2.7L V6 engine. If someone offers to sell you a 2.7L V6 model, it's only worth the price of the scrap metal it's going to shortly turn into.

NOTE: Only the 2.7L V6 has the oil sludge problem. Our "Avoid like the Plague" designation is ONLY for models with the 2.7L V6 engine. All other available engines are very reliable with no major problems.

Even with regular maintenance, the oil sludge defect eventually destroys the 2.7L engine typically around 80,000-100,000 miles. The only true fix we know about is to put in the larger 3.2L engine, which has a great reputation.

This issue was never deemed a safety defect by the Feds, so there was no recall. In the end, Chrysler got away with FOUR YEARS worth of defective 2.7L V6 engines in their sedans.

2. replace steering column, tie rods and front struts (1 reports)
2002 Dodge Intrepid steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Dodge Intrepid:

2002 Dodge Intrepid Owner Comments

May 012009

Intrepid ES 2.7L V6

Did what I was told to fix and it cost me $2500.00 and still not fixed. The car also drifts to the right after it had a 4 wheel alignment. I replaced the motor due to sludge which I understand was a common problem with the 2.7 V6 That cost a lot of money and I do not want to simply trade it in. I paid for an expensive motor but it beats having a car payment. I understand that replacing the struts is something that should be done after 100,000 miles but the problem is not fixed. I had the front end rebuilt with new steering column, tie rods and struts. IT STILL MAKES THE SAME CLUNK NOISE. I AM AT MY WITS END.

- , Collingswood, NJ, USA

Feb 192007

Intrepid ES 2.7L V6

My car has been making a clunk when turning in either direction. I am sure that this is a major problem with the steering or suspension. I have already replaced the transmission for $2,000 and two O2 sensors. I also have a knock in the engine. I am going to trade it in and cut my losses.

- , Toms River, NJ, USA