1. replaced inner tie rod bushing kit (1 reports)
  2. replaced steering rack and coupling (1 reports)
2003 Dodge Intrepid steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Dodge Intrepid:

2003 Dodge Intrepid Owner Comments

Sep 142010

Intrepid LE 2.7L

My Daughter got this car from the action with high mileage on it but it was in GREAT cond...She and I did some research to find the troubling sludge problem therefore I told her to bring it to me every 1500 miles for a oil change with synthetic mobile one oil...She has Never had anything other than minor problems with the exception of the inner tie rod end bushings...I replaced them the first time and used the cheaper rubber ones that wore out in 2 months...The second time i used the better neoprene ones and they have done the trick this time...The brake light switch has been replaced twice as I believe the design is poor and they seem to burn out quickly...The only other problem was the condenser in front of the radiator was leaking so the air cond stopped working..I replaced it and found it to be a fairly easy job...Folks PLEASE disregard the manual,s recommended oil change intervals and change your oil EVERY 1500 MILES.And i would recommend using synthetic oil I have read about the sludge problem with the 2.7 motor and I am convinced the way we have maintained this defective engine is the only reason we have no sludge buildup inside this motor to this day...If you would like further advice on these models feel free to call me at 240-602-6137 my name is Lewis and I have a garage in the Laurel Maryland Area...Have a Great day and good luck with this model*_*

- , Laurel, MD, USA

Nov 222009

Intrepid SE 2.7L V6

The Intrepid is a car of many gripes that will probably last until the last one is put in the crusher. Mine is probably going there after I get it paid off. The steering has clunked from 72,000 miles on and no mechanic has been able to diagnose it, let alone fix it. A couple days ago, by accident, I found the coupler from the steering rack was compressed from a botched repair to where it worked itself loose. Also, the bolts holding the tie rods to the steering rack also came loose, even with the retainer tabs bent over. I got a coupler that was decent from the junkyard and will try Lock Tight on the bolts to keep this from coming loose due to a defective and dangerous design. Chrysler could have had a winner, but elected to go with a center take off design on the rack to save a few bucks. Had a lot of problems with this car.

- , Grand Ledge, MI, USA