CarComplaints.com Notes: A prime example of why you should never buy the first model year of a new vehicle.

2009 Dodge Journey brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Dodge Journey:

2009 Dodge Journey Owner Comments (Page 1 of 4)

Mar 132013

The contact owns a 2009 Dodge Journey. The contact stated that the rotors, calipers, transfer case, and front passenger seat sensor caught fire, the vehicle also experienced a loss of power. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where the technician diagnosed that the brake rotors and the brake caliper were defective and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The contact also had the vehicle repaired at the dealer for the transfer case malfunction. Upon inspection for the seat sensor failure, the contact noticed that a rubber boot was not installed, which resulted in the insulation igniting. The contact extinguished the flames and placed electrical tape at the end of the wire. The vehicle was able to be restarted after numerous attempts. The tire sensor also malfunctioned, which resulted in the tire constantly going flat. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 14373000 (electrical system); however, the part to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was notified of the failures. The failure mileage was 34,903.

- Salem, SC, USA

Nov 222012

The contact owns a 2009 Dodge Journey. The contact stated that the brakes and rotors were abnormally worn. The contact replaced the brakes and rotors, but the failure recurred in less than a year after the repairs were performed. The contact also stated that the vehicle jerked forward intermittently. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 78,000.

- Walton, KY, USA

Mar 012009

The contact owns a 2009 Dodge Journey. While driving various speeds, the contact heard an abnormal noise when the brake pedal was depressed. The failure occurred on multiple occasions. The contact also stated that the brakes failed to stop the vehicle immediately when the brake pedal was depressed. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the brakes and the rotors needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired however, after a short period of time the failure recurred multiple times. Additionally, the tires were replaced multiple times due to the continuous failures. The contact received NHTSA campaign number: 14V373000 (air bags, electrical system) and stated that the parts were unavailable. The dealer was uncertain when the parts would become available to service the vehicle under the recall. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 17,000.

- Land O Lakes, FL, USA

Dec 082014

The contact owns a 2009 Dodge Journey. After the vehicle was repaired according to an unknown manufacturer recall related to the wireless ignition ring, the ABS light and traction control light illuminated on the instrument panel. The contact stated that the vehicle would not start unless it was in the neutral position. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 65,000.

- Vaga Baja, PR, USA

Mar 072012

The brakes made a squeling nose they replaced brakes under warrenty

- Birch Run, MI, USA

Jan 082015

We are on our third set of front brakes and second set of rear. Now they are saying my rear brakes have 5% brake left. So, I will need new brakes and rotors. The guy at Dodge blamed my wife for the way she drives. Pt here is no problem with the way she drives.

- Houma, LA, USA

Oct 152013

I have owned this vehicle since October 2012. I have had to replace the brakes and rotors 3 times. The brakers and rotors wear in 1 year or less.

- Aubrey, TX, USA

Nov 172011

The contact owns a 2009 Dodge Journey. While driving approximately 10 mph, the contact heard an abnormal sound coming from the brakes. The dealer replaced the brakes, but the failure recurred after the vehicle was driven 11,000 miles. The brakes were replaced again, but the failure recurred. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 40,000.

- West Plains , MO, USA

Apr 212014

We bought this vehicle in April of 2014 with approximately 116,000 miles on it. The day after we bought the vehicle it began not starting and leaving us stranded for minutes to hours at a time. I have six children that regularly ride in this vehicle with me, and it has left us stranded at least once a week (often much more) since we bought it. It has a brand new key fob (bought and programmed by a Dodge dealership when we purchased the vehicle). It has had two starters replaced (one before and one just after we bought it, on the assumption that they had received a bad starter). I have been in a Dodge dealership getting my oil changed, when it wouldn't start for them, and they wouldn't put it on the computer to isolate the issue, because they didn't have time. When we attempt to start the car, all we will get is a click. All of the lights, radio, etc work just fine, but it will not start. Sometimes it takes two or three attempts to start. Sometimes it is well over an hour. We are aware that our vehicle is under recall for a win detent ring, however, all of the dealerships we've spoken with say that they don't have the part and can't give us an estimated time on when it will be available. This is extremely concerning to me, given that the issue could cause my vehicle to shut down while I am driving at high speeds on the highway with my children. We also had new brakes put on when we purchased it (less than 10,000 miles ago), and it already needs new brakes. Please investigate this issue. We can't get a straight answer from Dodge as to what could be the issue. I am concerned over the fact that numerous times we've been stranded in extreme heat, and now we are going into winter where we get extreme cold. It is unsafe. Thank you

- Cosby, MO, USA

Sep 302010

The 2009 Dodge Journey brake pads and rotors wearout prematurely and create a safety hazard. I believe that the brakes are under-designed for the vehicle weight and should be redesigned and replaced under recall. I am a very conservative driver yet still have to replace the pads and rotors every 20,000 to 24,000 miles.

- Concord, NC, USA

Feb 112009

Journey 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2009 Dodge Journey. The contact stated that the vehicle failed to start and made an abnormal noise before stalling. The dealer stated that the digital panel failed. The vehicle was repaired, but the failure recurred. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 1,000. Updated 10/24/2014 updated 7/14/2015

- Pueblo West, CO, USA

Apr 012010

The contact owns a 2009 Dodge Journey. The contact stated while driving approximately 30 mph, when the brakes were depressed, the steering wheel was shaking and the brakes would not stop the vehicle immediately. The contact stated they had also noticed when the vehicle was shifted into gear the vehicle shuddered. The problem recurred multiple times. The contact had taken the vehicle to the dealer for the diagnosis and stated that the brakes needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired but the failure recurred. The manufacturer was notified of the failure and the approximate failure mileage was 25,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Aug 222014

Journey 6-cyl

I purchased the car in January of 2014 from a used car lot (which I will never do again) and it was sold with transmission leaks. I just found this out after taking the car in for a hole in one of the coolant hoses less than a month ago because it wasn't leaking on the ground. I started hearing a grinding, squeaking and ticking sound that my mechanic couldn't figure out. I just had the breaks done so they are essentially brand new. I had to have the tires replaced because they were worn to the thread. Going up a hill yesterday, I heard a loud noise and then the car wouldn't move. This left me in the middle of the road blocking traffic with 5 children in the car. Turns out there's a cracked transfer case. Sounds like there are many others like me out there having similar problems with this particular year make and model and a recall is in order....again!!!!

- San Francisco, CA, USA

Jan 012010

Journey 4-cyl

Rotors and brakes went out at 36,000 and had to be replaced due to being too small for the vehicle. Of course this was just out side of warranty. Recall was called after we replaced them. Went out again at 45,000 and again at 85,000. I had a knocking noise from under neath and took it in and it was covered under power train. Had to take it in again at 40,000 knocking noise again and luckily it covered under power train. At 45,000 my Journey wouldn't start and just didn't know when it would start 30 minutes to an hour. This has happened several times and was told it was the key ignition control and that they are back logged and couldn't replace it but charged $100 for diagnostic again and have had to take it in again since. At 75,000 I was left stranded due to over heating and had to take it in again and it was the temperature control sensor. Brakes went out again at 95,000 and now at 107,00 the check engine light is on and did a diagnostic and it's the throttle runner control is stuck open and unable to get it in until a week later due to the dealer to busy. I think this has gone on to long with these Dodge Journeys and it's time for some recalls on them. I will never but a Dodge again!

- Ellabell, GA, USA

Jul 182012

Journey 6-cyl

The brakes and rotors have needed to have work several times and needs to be taken in for the same thing about every 2-4 months. This is a manufacturer defect per the manufacturer.

- Silverton, OR, USA

Jul 012011

Journey 6-cyl

I was driving there was a loud pop, I didn't know what it was until I tried to stop. I barely had any brakes the brake pad had broken so I had to have brakes put on it. I had just purchased the vehicle already having to put brakes on at 33000 miles I thought something may be wrong but didn't know for sure. Ever since then I have to put brakes every 3000 miles and rotors too some times. Something needs to be done about this before someone gets hurt or killed, I know there have been several complaints about them.

- Newbern, TN, USA

Jun 082011

Journey 6-cyl

My vehicle has less than 90000 miles and I've put 4 sets of brakes and rotors on it. I've also had numerous problems with it not wanting to start while the battery test out perfect. I have put 3 sets of tires on it, and the transmission is shifting hard a lot of the time also.it's a shame people have to die before Y'all recall vehicles.

- Blytheville, AR, USA

Jul 022013

The contact owns a 2009 Dodge Journey. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds, the vehicle failed to accelerate. Also, the contact indicated that the brake pedal had to be pressed multiple times in order to stop the vehicle. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure but no solution was offered. The failure mileage was 13,000.

- Plantersville, AL, USA

Dec 162013

Journey 6-cyl

Before buying this car in 2013 we took it on a test drive. We noticed that the brakes were not working properly. Upon inspection the brakes had literally crumbled apart and the dealer said they would replace at no cost to us and that we shouldn't let that discourage us from this purchase. In addition, we noticed that the transmission seemed to shift abnormally fast and hard. Again like with the brakes we expressed our concern before we purchased. The salesperson then responded by saying that was how those cars are and that they would reset the transmission for us. They did this at the same time they replaced all brake parts. Progressively over the next few months the issues with the transmission worsened. It stalled in reverse several times. It also shifted from 1st to 2nd in less than 3 seconds and increasingly hard as well and once it hits third it loses power. I merged onto the interstate the other day and the rpms were above 6 before it finally decided to shift. At this point the car had less than 70,000 miles on it and we took it to the dealer to find out the transmission needed replaced. I knew it needed that before we bought it, they just waited until it became an issue. Now we were told the transmission was actually missing teeth. I am so angry because I purchased this car and have 5 years of payments to make and 6 months in it needs a transmission. I believe this is a defect in the manufacture of this vehicle in addition to the brakes. This is not fair to the american people who want to buy an american car to later find out it was actually manufactured in Mexico for "affordability".

- Waverly, IL, USA

Mar 192010

At 19,000 mile I had to replace the brakes, then another 41,000 replace brakes, at 66,000 replace brakes, and rear brakes looked up at the cost of $650. Replacing brakes 90,000 again!! this has been the most expensive "family car" I have ever owned. Tires- I have had 4 sets of tires!! they only made one tire (kumo) for a 19" rim at a costly expense. Now Goodyear makes a tire that is a better grade. I have had more money in this car than its worth. Never will buy a Dodge again. They cut a lot of cost building this car!! as advertised as a family vehicle!! what a joke!!

- Pickerington, OH, USA