2009 Dodge Journey brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Dodge Journey:

2009 Dodge Journey Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Aug 192010

Journey

The brake and rotor system on my car have prematurely worn down to the point of replacement at least 5 or 6 times in the 3-4 years I have owned this vehicle. This is a very well known issue with the Dodge Journey, and they refuse to do anything about it.

- Gardena, CA, USA

Jul 272010

Journey

Calipers stuck wearing out brake pads and warping rotors

- Mechanicsburg, IL, USA

Jun 112009

Journey 6-cyl

3 months after I purchased my used 09 Dodge Journey I have had to replace the brake pads every 2 to 3 months. I would take it to the Dodge dealer and it was under warranty and they would tell me my brakes were like brand new. I am still replacing pads every 2 to 3 months. I think Dodge should recall this car and fix the brakes.

- Loami, IL, USA

May 102010

Journey

The contact owns a 2009 Dodge Journey. The contact stated that at 20,000 miles the brakes and rotors had to be replaced. The dealer informed the contact that the brakes and rotors were too small for use on the vehicle. The contact stated that over the next 40,000 miles, the brakes had been replaced 3 times and the rotors once. The dealer did not have an explanation for the second failure of the rotors. The VIN was not available. The failure mileage was 20,000 and the current mileage was 60,000.

- Southbury, CT, USA

Jul 222013

Journey 6-cyl

Upon doing routine brake inspection found both rear calipers to be not working and seized up.

- Springfield, OH, USA

Apr 262011

Journey

Parking sensor in transmission that sends a signal that car is in park not working I properly may be a huge issue because when you are in drive and sitting it gets stuck in park. Then takes off no warning. If me O our anyone in my family is injured I will be the one to help settle a law suit with Chrysler. I spoke of this problem to the dealer while it was under warranty the rep. Said I had to leave my car there till the problem duplicates. This is a expensive car and my only transportation which is why I had the warranty. The other issue is when sitting at the light the brakes slip causing the vehicle to lunge forward. This is even after replacing the brakes at the dealership the vehicle is a money pit. The consumer takes the bill or could lose their life messing with Chrysler.

- Katy, TX, USA

May 072013

Journey

I have been having problems with my 2009 Dodge Journey. I also have problems trying to turn it on sometimes. I believe it might be the key or ignition. I bought a new battery thinking my old one was dead and it also started great for a few weeks and then it started doing it again. Sometimes I turn the key around and it turns on fine and sometimes it does not. It is frustrating because sometimes it does it when I am away from home. I am also having problems with my front brakes or suspension because when I press on the brakes my steering wheel starts to shake. I had my brake pads and rotors checked and they are good. I just do not know what else to do because every trip to the mechanic costs money. There should be a recall on this vehicle!

- Wharton, TX, USA

Feb 222010

Journey 4-cyl

Bought my Journey in March of 2009. In Feb of 2010 my brakes were squeaking so I had them checked and it was found I needed pads and rotors replaced on back. 3 months later the front rotors and pads needed replaced. 6 months later the back rotors needed replaced again along with pads. 8 months later the fronts needed rotors again and the back needed pads. This is just crazy how many times I have been to the mechanic. Most of my drive is highway so there is no explanation other than there has to be a serious defect. I love my Journey but will never purchase a Chrysler vehicle again.

- Fairmont, WV, USA

Sep 302011

Journey

Bought the vehicle used from a Toyota dealer, the brakes were pulsating from warped rotors, had a brake job done and now the brakes are squealing, /and now the second thing the vehicle hesitates to start, you have to keep turning the key on and off to get it to start, when you try to start it just clicks one time, if were a bad connection on the batt. It would click as long as you held the key to the start position.not happy with this vehicle at all but I'm stuck with the payments so I have to live with it...

- St. Augustine, FL, USA

Mar 202013

Journey 6-cyl

The brakes on the Dodge Journey 2009 apparently are too thin/ not heavy enough for the weight of the vehicle.. apparently every 10,000 to 25,000 miles they will need to have new brake pads and resurfacing of rotors or replacement.. seems, depending onthe weight you carry in the vehicle their may be a failure in the braking system.. I bought the vehicle new and only have 26,000 + miles on it.. I have read that Dodge should redesign and install a new braking system.. being retired, , I expected this to be my last vehicle. I bought american auto when the american industry was asking the government for assistance. Im disappointed Dodge hasn't stepped up and taken responsibility for this problem.. it will cost me $260. To over $400. Every time for this..

- Hammonton, NJ, USA

Apr 152013

Journey 6-cyl

Have had the rack and pinion fixed 1 1/2 years ago and it is leaking again. Have had to put 3 sets of brake pads on in 3 years. Also had to put new rotor and brake caliper on right front due to brake locking up! this car only has 53,600 miles on it and has been one thing after another breaking down on it. Been told by two Dodge mechanics this should not be happening. Would like for the dealer to do something about it. Been told there were recalls on this car and we have never gotten one in the mail. Help!!

- Niota, IL, USA

Mar 292013

Journey

The contact owns a 2009 Dodge Journey. The contact stated that while driving 10 mph, she lost control of the steering wheel and crashed into a curb and there was an explosion noise at the vehicle front end. The vehicle was taken to the mechanic where it was found that the transfer case had a hole which caused it to explode. The contact also wanted to add that the brakes and rotors had worn prematurely and the ignition switch made a clicking noise. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacture was not made aware of the failure. The failure and current mileage was 81,000.

- Wilmington , IN, USA

Dec 112009

Journey

Had to get brakes/rotors replaced at 15,000 miles in 12/09, at 49,000 in 12/11, and at 74,000 in 3/13.

- Aurora, IL, USA

Feb 052013

Journey

Vehicle failed state inspection third year in a row all for same reason and it gets worse. In Feb 2011 which is first year I owned the vehicle and got the inspection myself, it failed for rear brake rotors and they were not able to be resurfaced. In Feb 2012 the vehicle again failed for rear rotors and again they were to bad O be resurfaced. In Feb 2013 I checked my brakes before going in cause I had heard noises and screeching from them for about a couple months leading up to inspection time. Rear rotors were indeed bad again. The right rear rotor wore a 7 mm groove into it and the pad had a mirroring groove where it had not worn. Next both rear calipers I found were seized (I do know these are screw type calipers instead of compression calipers). 3 years in a row I have changed rear rotors and pads. Front brakes are fine and have had normal wear. I have only changed front pads once and had the rotors resurfaced once. Calipers are fine.

- Virginia Beach, VA, USA

Aug 252010

Journey

I purchased this car in August 2010 (it is a 2009) and since then, I have had the vehicle in the shop 33 times. I have had to replace all brakes and rotors, had front passenger-side window motor replaced, driver-side is going out now, had leaking from the ceiling, replacing the cracked radiator right now, had the emergency brake fixed, needed new rods and bushings, fuel injectors run loud, there is a drone noise from the right side of the vehicle when going 1800-2000 RPM, electrical systems short out, had the electric throttle indicator light come on, car dies all the time, yet the battery is fine, ...bottom line, this is a lemon. I have the R/T model which the dealership likes to claim "is just the noisy one." That is a very poor answer towards a consumer. I take very good care of my vehicles and to put up with this is upsetting. I have spent over $3000 in repairs in the 2 1/2 years that I have owned this SUV. Chrysler has made no attempts to help with these common problems and I know that I will not support this company buy purchasing with them again. When I bought a Journey...I didn't realize being able to drive it without problems, would be such a "Journey."

- Newport News, VA, USA

May 012012

Journey

Electrical system failure due to wiring harness melting, radiator cracked because bracket for ac is connected too tight when car is manufactured, battery died prematurely because of failed wires, rotors warped causing car to shake violently when braking. All these problems and others for a car with only 60,000 miles. Have spent over $2000 to date in repairs that numerous people have had related to this vehicle. Based on online complaints and talking to mechanics who have worked on this car no one can believe that the correct electrical recall has taken place. There have been electrical recalls on vehicle, but not for most common failure. No one understands why brake issue has not been recalled and no one understands why the radiators keep failing without a recall. Will it take a serious crash? safety of the consumer is at risk. You pay $20,000 for a car and think it will last awhile. This car has major problems that are consistent from buyer to buyer.

- Norwich, CT, USA

Mar 102009

Journey

The contact owns a 2009 Dodge Journey. The contact stated that while driving 45 mph, the brakes were applied but the vehicle would not respond. The contact merged onto the shoulder in order to stop the vehicle. The vehicle was towed to the dealer for inspection where they advised that the rotors needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired but the failure recurred. The contact also stated that the roof was leaking abnormally. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for inspection where the contact was advised that the seams in the roof needed replacing. The dealer made the necessary repairs to the roof however, the failure recurred. In addition, the contact mentioned that the vehicle failed to start after being parked for a short period of time. The dealer was notified and advised that she should shake the gear shifter and then try to start the vehicle. The contact followed the dealer's instructions and the vehicle started. The cause of the starting failure was unknown. The manufacturer was notified but did not offer any assistance. The failure mileage was 10,900.

- Hope, IN, USA

Dec 012012

Journey 4-cyl

Wheels, brakes, and rotors deteriorate prematurely and/or shortly after the warranty expires resulting in an excessive cost to the consumer and the potential for a complete brake and tire failure.

- Fremont, OH, USA

Mar 112010

Journey

When I bought my car in 2009. I noticed that my brakes squeaked when I stop I took it back to the dealership, I was told that nothing was wrong. Keep complaining all the time, then the vibration started and I needed rotors and brakes. The aftermarket brakes doesn't fit had to replace them with the dealership brakes. Had to replace a two tire sensors. Had to have my rotors resurfaced will need new rotors. Recently the engine coolant overheating light came on. The fan stop working its electrical the mechanic can't figure out why it stop. My car sometimes doesn't start, took it to a mechanic. No reason why. When my air is on it takes the car longer to gain speed on the highway. I contacted the dealership where I purchased it and Dodge. Both were rude and didn't offer any help. I purchased the extended warranty and it didn't cover anything.

- Akron, OH, USA

Jun 092012

Journey

I brought car used Feb 2012 with around 78500. Shortly after I got the car I started noticing the vibration when I applied the brakes. So I took it and had the brake pads and rotors replaced on the front. Well it still was vibrating when I would apply the brakes. So I was told that maybe the calipers was bad. So a couple weeks later they put on new pads, rotors and calipers. Well the vibration stopped. Well at least for about 3 months and the vibration when I apply my brakes came back. So I took it back and was told that they are going to put some dealer pads and rotors on and that should take care of the problem. So im waiting to get those put on and see if it will make a difference like they say.

- Columbus , OH, USA