2009 Dodge Journey brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Dodge Journey:

2009 Dodge Journey Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Mar 192010

Journey

At 19,000 mile I had to replace the brakes, then another 41,000 replace brakes, at 66,000 replace brakes, and rear brakes looked up at the cost of $650. Replacing brakes 90,000 again!! this has been the most exspensive "family car" I have ever owned. Tires- I have had 4 sets of tires!! they only made one tire (kumo) for a 19" rim at a costly exspence. Now Goodyear makes a tire that is a better grade. I have had more money in this car than its worth. Never will buy a Dodge again. They cut a lot of cost building this car!! as advertised as a family vehicle!! what a joke!!

- Pickerington, OH, USA

Dec 172012

Journey

We bought the Dodge jounery in Dec 2012 3 weeks or so later I returned to dealership with a clicking sound when I moved the stearing wheel that the front end was shaking and that there was a load roar long story short evey 6 months rotors breaks tires are having to be replaced and I guess what really set things more in motion was Jan 21 2014 while traveling down the interstate to take a sick child to the dr the left front tire valve steam blew out my husband got the car off the road only to jack it up to change tire when the weight of the vehicle bent the jack causeing it to fall almost on my husbands foot, we bought this car because it was a V6 and had the room we need to travel to dr apts with our special needs child because we have to travel so far I have had nothing but trouble the dealership after a fight agreed to put new breakes the machined the rotors and said the streaing was a Dodge thing nothing to worry about only the load clicking when pulling in or out of a parking space and the roar in the front they claim is the raos and they also at this time put 4 new tires on the car now mind you this was all done 7/6/13 and they done all of this when they purchaced the car in 11/20/12 and when I go back in to the car fax every 6 months the breaks rotors and tires have to be replaced. Now here it is 6 months later for us and blow out also we just changes the rotoes and breaks on the 11 of this month so see the 6 month deal with this car and when serching other complaints I am finding the same problem I have contacted Chrysler and they say call my dealership I informed brad at Chrysler it was not the dealerships problem they didnt make the car. It is a death trap there are so many more issues with this car but the deadly ones are the tires blowing out the breakes crumbling and thr rotors wearing out with in 6 months thank U and I so hope that someone can help

- Hillsville , VA, USA

May 132010

Journey 6-cyl

The brakes on this vehicle do not work. Every single year, for the past 4 years, I have had to purchase a new brake system for this car at a cost of hundreds of dollars. Dodge and the dealer are aware of the problems but they refuse to recognize it. This is my son's car and I don't feel safe having him drive it. I purchased a lemon!

- Tallahassee, FL, USA

Dec 032013

Journey 6-cyl

Brakes were not working like they should going down a hill. Tried to slow down and stop and I keep going. Brake light came on!

- Kennesaw, GA, USA

Aug 192010

Journey 6-cyl

The brake and rotor system on my car have prematurely worn down to the point of replacement at least 5 or 6 times in the 3-4 years I have owned this vehicle. This is a very well known issue with the Dodge Journey, and they refuse to do anything about it.

- Gardena, CA, USA

Jul 272010

Journey

Calipers stuck wearing out brake pads and warping rotors.

- Mechanicsburg, IL, USA

Jun 112009

Journey 6-cyl

3 months after I purchased my used 09 Dodge Journey I have had to replace the brake pads every 2 to 3 months. I would take it to the Dodge dealer and it was under warranty and they would tell me my brakes were like brand new. I am still replacing pads every 2 to 3 months. I think Dodge should recall this car and fix the brakes.

- Loami, IL, USA

May 102010

Journey

The contact owns a 2009 Dodge Journey. The contact stated that at 20,000 miles the brakes and rotors had to be replaced. The dealer informed the contact that the brakes and rotors were too small for use on the vehicle. The contact stated that over the next 40,000 miles, the brakes had been replaced 3 times and the rotors once. The dealer did not have an explanation for the second failure of the rotors. The VIN was not available. The failure mileage was 20,000 and the current mileage was 60,000.

- Southbury, CT, USA

Jul 222013

Journey 6-cyl

Upon doing routine brake inspection found both rear calipers to be not working and seized up.

- Springfield, OH, USA

Apr 262011

Journey

Parking sensor in transmission that sends a signal that car is in park not working I properly may be a huge issue because when you are in drive and sitting it gets stuck in park. Then takes off no warning. If me O our anyone in my family is injured I will be the one to help settle a law suit with Chrysler. I spoke of this problem to the dealer while it was under warranty the rep. Said I had to leave my car there till the problem duplicates. This is a expensive car and my only transportation which is why I had the warranty. The other issue is when sitting at the light the brakes slip causing the vehicle to lunge forward. This is even after replacing the brakes at the dealership the vehicle is a money pit. The consumer takes the bill or could lose their life messing with Chrysler.

- Katy, TX, USA

May 072013

Journey

I have been having problems with my 2009 Dodge Journey. I also have problems trying to turn it on sometimes. I believe it might be the key or ignition. I bought a new battery thinking my old one was dead and it also started great for a few weeks and then it started doing it again. Sometimes I turn the key around and it turns on fine and sometimes it does not. It is frustrating because sometimes it does it when I am away from home. I am also having problems with my front brakes or suspension because when I press on the brakes my steering wheel starts to shake. I had my brake pads and rotors checked and they are good. I just do not know what else to do because every trip to the mechanic costs money. There should be a recall on this vehicle!

- Wharton, TX, USA

Feb 222010

Journey 4-cyl

Bought my Journey in March of 2009. In Feb of 2010 my brakes were squeaking so I had them checked and it was found I needed pads and rotors replaced on back. 3 months later the front rotors and pads needed replaced. 6 months later the back rotors needed replaced again along with pads. 8 months later the fronts needed rotors again and the back needed pads. This is just crazy how many times I have been to the mechanic. Most of my drive is highway so there is no explanation other than there has to be a serious defect. I love my Journey but will never purchase a Chrysler vehicle again.

- Fairmont, WV, USA

Sep 302011

Journey

Bought the vehicle used from a Toyota dealer, the brakes were pulsating from warped rotors, had a brake job done and now the brakes are squealing, /and now the second thing the vehicle hesitates to start, you have to keep turning the key on and off to get it to start, when you try to start it just clicks one time, if were a bad connection on the batt. It would click as long as you held the key to the start position.not happy with this vehicle at all but I'm stuck with the payments so I have to live with it...

- St. Augustine, FL, USA

Mar 202013

Journey 6-cyl

The brakes on the Dodge Journey 2009 apparently are too thin/ not heavy enough for the weight of the vehicle.. apparently every 10,000 to 25,000 miles they will need to have new brake pads and resurfacing of rotors or replacement.. seems, depending onthe weight you carry in the vehicle their may be a failure in the braking system.. I bought the vehicle new and only have 26,000 + miles on it.. I have read that Dodge should redesign and install a new braking system.. being retired, , I expected this to be my last vehicle. I bought american auto when the american industry was asking the government for assistance. Im disappointed Dodge hasn't stepped up and taken responsibility for this problem.. it will cost me $260. To over $400. Every time for this..

- Hammonton, NJ, USA

Apr 152013

Journey 6-cyl

Have had the rack and pinion fixed 1 1/2 years ago and it is leaking again. Have had to put 3 sets of brake pads on in 3 years. Also had to put new rotor and brake caliper on right front due to brake locking up! this car only has 53,600 miles on it and has been one thing after another breaking down on it. Been told by two Dodge mechanics this should not be happening. Would like for the dealer to do something about it. Been told there were recalls on this car and we have never gotten one in the mail. Help!!

- Niota, IL, USA

Mar 292013

Journey

The contact owns a 2009 Dodge Journey. The contact stated that while driving 10 mph, she lost control of the steering wheel and crashed into a curb and there was an explosion noise at the vehicle front end. The vehicle was taken to the mechanic where it was found that the transfer case had a hole which caused it to explode. The contact also wanted to add that the brakes and rotors had worn prematurely and the ignition switch made a clicking noise. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacture was not made aware of the failure. The failure and current mileage was 81,000.

- Wilmington , IN, USA

Dec 112009

Journey

Had to get brakes/rotors replaced at 15,000 miles in 12/09, at 49,000 in 12/11, and at 74,000 in 3/13.

- Aurora, IL, USA

Feb 052013

Journey

Vehicle failed state inspection third year in a row all for same reason and it gets worse. In Feb 2011 which is first year I owned the vehicle and got the inspection myself, it failed for rear brake rotors and they were not able to be resurfaced. In Feb 2012 the vehicle again failed for rear rotors and again they were to bad O be resurfaced. In Feb 2013 I checked my brakes before going in cause I had heard noises and screeching from them for about a couple months leading up to inspection time. Rear rotors were indeed bad again. The right rear rotor wore a 7 mm groove into it and the pad had a mirroring groove where it had not worn. Next both rear calipers I found were seized (I do know these are screw type calipers instead of compression calipers). 3 years in a row I have changed rear rotors and pads. Front brakes are fine and have had normal wear. I have only changed front pads once and had the rotors resurfaced once. Calipers are fine.

- Virginia Beach, VA, USA

Aug 252010

Journey

I purchased this car in August 2010 (it is a 2009) and since then, I have had the vehicle in the shop 33 times. I have had to replace all brakes and rotors, had front passenger-side window motor replaced, driver-side is going out now, had leaking from the ceiling, replacing the cracked radiator right now, had the emergency brake fixed, needed new rods and bushings, fuel injectors run loud, there is a drone noise from the right side of the vehicle when going 1800-2000 RPM, electrical systems short out, had the electric throttle indicator light come on, car dies all the time, yet the battery is fine, ...bottom line, this is a lemon. I have the R/T model which the dealership likes to claim "is just the noisy one." That is a very poor answer towards a consumer. I take very good care of my vehicles and to put up with this is upsetting. I have spent over $3000 in repairs in the 2 1/2 years that I have owned this SUV. Chrysler has made no attempts to help with these common problems and I know that I will not support this company buy purchasing with them again. When I bought a Journey...I didn't realize being able to drive it without problems, would be such a "Journey."

- Newport News, VA, USA

May 012012

Journey

Electrical system failure due to wiring harness melting, radiator cracked because bracket for ac is connected too tight when car is manufactured, battery died prematurely because of failed wires, rotors warped causing car to shake violently when braking. All these problems and others for a car with only 60,000 miles. Have spent over $2000 to date in repairs that numerous people have had related to this vehicle. Based on online complaints and talking to mechanics who have worked on this car no one can believe that the correct electrical recall has taken place. There have been electrical recalls on vehicle, but not for most common failure. No one understands why brake issue has not been recalled and no one understands why the radiators keep failing without a recall. Will it take a serious crash? safety of the consumer is at risk. You pay $20,000 for a car and think it will last awhile. This car has major problems that are consistent from buyer to buyer.

- Norwich, CT, USA