CarComplaints.com Notes: A prime example of why you should never buy the first model year of a new vehicle.

2009 Dodge Journey electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Dodge Journey:

2009 Dodge Journey Owner Comments (Page 27 of 32)

Dec 202013

Journey 6-cyl

While driving the car started to sputter with the wipers going extremely fast then stopping and coming back on. Door locks wouldn't work with key fob or door buttons, left low beam and right high beam wouldn't work, neither front turn signal would work, and temp gauge was off by 30 or 40 degrees. Replaced the battery and none of the issues were fixed. Had to take it to the closest mechanic it finally shut down completely on him while running tests. He called the local Dodge service center and they told him it is a known electrical issue with Journeys and durangos that they see all the time. He had to order a complete new integrated power module or fuse and circuit board for $860 part only. When he ordered the part out of Chicago they only had 1 in stock as the guy stated they can't keep these in due to so many issues. Car is running now but it is at the dealer service center because only they can reset the computer so everything works as normal. So, another $100+ for that as well. This needs to placed in a recall status before someone is seriously injured when their car shuts down while driving. I will be submitting a reimbursement request.

- Indianapolis, IN, USA

Mar 012013

Journey 6-cyl

Car will intermittently not start. All lights, windows, locks, radio etc still work, just "clicks" when you try to start it. This has happened too many times to count. Typically it will start after a few tries. Battery has been replaced- that is not the problem. Contacted Dodge and they stated "no recall for my VIN - take to a local Dodge dealer to have it inspected." We are a military family and I am a mother of 3 children- it is not safe or reliable when my vehicle doesn't start repeatedly. It is obvious Dodge knows that this is a problem, they need to take responsibility for their faulty vehicles and replace what is wrong.

- Miamisburg , OH, USA

Jan 032014

Journey 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2009 Dodge Journey. The contact stated that the vehicle failed to start. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the failure could not be diagnosed. The manufacturer was not contacted about the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 58,000.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Dec 102013

Journey

The contact owns a 2009 Dodge Journey. The contact stated while driving various speeds, the vehicle suddenly stalled and failed to restart. The failure was not diagnosed nor was the vehicle repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 90,000.

- Huntington, WV, USA

Dec 222013

Journey 4-cyl

I was driving down the freeway and the )lighting bolt( symbol came on and my motor shut off completely. This is the electronic throttle control symbol, and I could have been severely injured had I not gotten to the side of the road. I called the Dodge dealer in my area and the customer service line. Dodge says this is my problem not theirs. My car is a 2009 with 102000 miles on it. I feel that this is Dodge's problem, what happened to taking care of issues like this. My family could have died because their electrical part malfunctioned. When I checked on line it stated this happens all the time on many different Dodge models I say Dodge should recall each vehicle with these same components so a family does not die because of their use of inferior parts. Dodge has recalled this part on different vehicles just not my model they state that my vehicle, which has the same parts as the other ones recalled is fine because the model year and options are different. To me this is asinine and we all know Dodge needs to do what is right in this matter and fix my car, at their expense.

- Provo, UT, USA

Jan 052011

Journey 6-cyl

Vehicle has just randomly shut off while driving twice and luckily able to avoid accident. Over past couple years at random it will not start, all instruments have power just hear a clicking sound than after few times it ended up starting. Except today it will not turn over. Had contacted some dealers asking about problem and they were not helpful at all.

- Unity, ME, USA

Nov 162013

Journey

The contact owns a 2009 Dodge Journey. The contact stated that the driver's side rear-view mirror controls were malfunctioning. The contact mentioned that the he was unable to open or close the front windows and he could not lock or unlock the doors. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure who did not offer any assistance since the vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 10V658000 (electrical system). The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was not available. The failure mileage was 58,000 and the current mileage was 58,041.

- Cookeville, TN, USA

Oct 042013

Journey 6-cyl

The win module (wireless ignition node - part # 05026875) has been failing for several weeks and finally died completely. A new one has been ordered however it is on back order. The dealership actually has 5 other Journeys waiting for the same part. This has also been an issue with other models for this part. It should be recalled due to its continued failure.

- Needville, TX, USA

Oct 232013

Journey 6-cyl

The car will not start. It comes with a faulty win module that has given many consumers grief. The car has left me stranded before due to the same issue.

- Brooklyn, NY, USA

Jun 012012

Journey

The contact owns a 2009 Dodge Journey. The contact stated when attempting to start the vehicle, it failed to start intermittently without warning. The contact was a certified mechanic and inspected the vehicle himself and stated that it was an electrical problem due to corrosion; however, he did not know what caused the problem. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was 55,000. The current mileage was 69,000.

- Adrian, MI, USA

Jul 052013

Journey

Vehicle would not start skim module needs to be replaced Chrysler could not provide part for 2 months vehicle laid up for 60 days incident started with car not starting regularly and continued to progress where it would not engage the engine at all.

- Shelton , CT, USA

Jun 302003

Journey 6-cyl

Tried to start the car one day and all it did was try to turn. Eventually through blogs I had read about the starting issue and to keep trying to turn it and maybe it would go, it died. We replaced the battery and it ran well for 4 weeks and again did the same thing tonight. All windows, locks, air conditioning, and head lights were working but not enough power to turn over, yes I turned all of it off immediately when I realized what happened. Big difference was that last time I could jump it, this time I could not. I had to leave my car in the parking lot at 8:30pm and get a ride for my children and I from family.

- Clovis, CA, USA

Jul 062013

Journey

The contact owns a 2009 Dodge Journey. The contact stated that while driving approximately 65 mph, there was a sudden loss of power and smoke was seen coming from the end of the vehicle. Also, the contact stated that the low oil pressure and check engine warning lights were illuminated. The vehicle was not taken to a dealer for a diagnostic test. The manufacturer was notified of the failure and stated that the vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign number : 08V247000 (electrical system). The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure and current mileage was 84,000. The VIN was not available.

- Troy , IL, USA

Apr 262011

Journey

Parking sensor in transmission that sends a signal that car is in park not working I properly may be a huge issue because when you are in drive and sitting it gets stuck in park. Then takes off no warning. If me O our anyone in my family is injured I will be the one to help settle a law suit with Chrysler. I spoke of this problem to the dealer while it was under warranty the rep. Said I had to leave my car there till the problem duplicates. This is a expensive car and my only transportation which is why I had the warranty. The other issue is when sitting at the light the brakes slip causing the vehicle to lunge forward. This is even after replacing the brakes at the dealership the vehicle is a money pit. The consumer takes the bill or could lose their life messing with Chrysler.

- Katy, TX, USA

Jun 092011

Journey

The contact owns a 2009 Dodge Journey. The contact stated that the vehicle failed to start. After several attempts the engine became operable. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer where both electronic key fobs were replaced under the service warranty. The failure recurred one year later after the repair was performed. The vehicle had not been repaired for the most recent failure. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 20,000.

- Rochester Hills, MI, USA

Dec 152012

Journey 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2009 Dodge Journey. The contact stated the vehicle intermittently failed to start. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnosis but the technician was unable to diagnose the failure. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 40,000.

- Waukesha, WI, USA

May 072013

Journey

I have been having problems with my 2009 Dodge Journey. I also have problems trying to turn it on sometimes. I believe it might be the key or ignition. I bought a new battery thinking my old one was dead and it also started great for a few weeks and then it started doing it again. Sometimes I turn the key around and it turns on fine and sometimes it does not. It is frustrating because sometimes it does it when I am away from home. I am also having problems with my front brakes or suspension because when I press on the brakes my steering wheel starts to shake. I had my brake pads and rotors checked and they are good. I just do not know what else to do because every trip to the mechanic costs money. There should be a recall on this vehicle!

- Wharton, TX, USA

Jan 102013

Journey 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2009 Dodge Journey. The contact stated the vehicle would not start. The contact was able to start the vehicle after several attempts. The failure occurred intermittently. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 45,000.

- Ironton, OH, USA

Jun 032013

Journey 6-cyl

The door control panel has failed, causing the driver to not have the ability to roll down the window, or lock and unlock the door. The airbag warning light has also come on, presumably indicating a defect in the door panel airbag sensor. I spoke with Dodge regarding a safety recall for the same model year, but excluding my VIN. They indicated that they would not cover the costs of the replacement of the faulty parts, but to "save my receipts" in case they decide to replace the parts in the future. Now my family's daily driver has a faulty airbag, in addition to brakes that have to be replaced every 12-18K miles, and no help from Dodge... thanks for the bailout americans...

- Rogers, AR, USA

Jan 102013

Journey

The contact owns a 2009 Dodge Journey. The contact stated that the vehicle failed to start unless it was shifted into neutral first. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where the technician diagnosed that the starter and battery needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired however, the remedy failed to repair the failure. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was not available. The failure mileage was 42,000 and the current mileage was 43,000.

- Tell City , IN, USA