CarComplaints.com Notes: A prime example of why you should never buy the first model year of a new vehicle.

2009 Dodge Journey electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Dodge Journey:

2009 Dodge Journey Owner Comments (Page 28 of 32)

Apr 212013

Journey 4-cyl

Upon trying to start vehicle, no response. Lights, radio, all work fine. After letting sit for 1 hour tried again this time after two attempts car started. I see from the web this is a common problem with Dodge Journeys from 2009 to 2013. Please find resolution to this problem.

- Racine, WI, USA

Jan 272012

Journey 6-cyl

The car was scanned several times. It has electrical defects and shows up 17 codes, must of them active. Brakes lights and control panel don't works. When we open only the second row door, lights don't work, but if you open any front door then we have lights. Also, we have problems with the entertainment center. It was changed by the dealer a couple of times but still showing the same problem. All the dashboard lights was changed by the dealer but until now we still having the same problem, for example, gas meter goes on and off, mph meter and tachometer goes down and up while the car is moving on the road. A couple of times we were unable to turn on the car after a lot of tries. Car dealer changed battery of the car by June/2012. When this happen while driving the car I feel so insecure cause I have a 4 year old child and I afraid something bad happen to my child and me. Its so weird seen all the dashboard lights going on and off while driving, its like the car turned crazy.

- Caguas, PR, USA

Aug 252010

Journey

I purchased this car in August 2010 (it is a 2009) and since then, I have had the vehicle in the shop 33 times. I have had to replace all brakes and rotors, had front passenger-side window motor replaced, driver-side is going out now, had leaking from the ceiling, replacing the cracked radiator right now, had the emergency brake fixed, needed new rods and bushings, fuel injectors run loud, there is a drone noise from the right side of the vehicle when going 1800-2000 RPM, electrical systems short out, had the electric throttle indicator light come on, car dies all the time, yet the battery is fine, ...bottom line, this is a lemon. I have the R/T model which the dealership likes to claim "is just the noisy one." That is a very poor answer towards a consumer. I take very good care of my vehicles and to put up with this is upsetting. I have spent over $3000 in repairs in the 2 1/2 years that I have owned this SUV. Chrysler has made no attempts to help with these common problems and I know that I will not support this company buy purchasing with them again. When I bought a Journey...I didn't realize being able to drive it without problems, would be such a "Journey."

- Newport News, VA, USA

Dec 142012

Journey 6-cyl

I went out to start the car to go to work and the engine would not turn over when I attempted to start it. I tried for several minutes to start the car and it would not start, there would just be a clicking sound. I even tried to jump start it and that didn't work. So after reading posts online from other owners I had my wife buy a battery and then after some trying it did. Start. I have since this first incident experienced this issue making it a total of three times within three weeks. I would go out to start the car and it would just click without starting. I also found this on another site from someone who had the same issue but instead of me the consumer spending my own money to see if this is the problem, Dodge should be doing a recall on this vehicle. (we had an issue with our Journey not starting. All of the dash lights would come on but it wouldn't turn over. The dealership started by re-programming the key fob and then replaced the starter. Both had no affect on the problem and the car continued to not turn over at the most inconvenient time. The day before leaving on vacation, it happened again. The dealership provided us with a rental and they kept the car to try and figure out the problem. I had provided them with a list of complaints listed here which helped them to narrow down the issue. It turns out that it was the sensor that tells the car that it's in park that wasn't working. Although the car is in park, the sensor wasn't sending the right message and was preventing it from starting. It took a month before we got the car back but we've been running it now for nearly two months and not one instance has occurred. If you are experiencing this issue, have the dealership replace this sensor. It worked for me).

- Apopka, FL, USA

Sep 122012

Journey 6-cyl

I went to start my 2009 Dodge Journey and it would only click when I turn the key. The lights on the dash and all accessories work but would not turn over. I've experienced this problem several times and asked the dealer have they had any issues like this and hey said no. I went to start it today and it just clicks, so I wait a couple hours like always and it starts but not now. It continues to click and won't start but after all the complaint don't wont to tow it to he dealer and pay 600 for a temporary fix.

- Seattle, WA, USA

May 012012

Journey

Electrical system failure due to wiring harness melting, radiator cracked because bracket for ac is connected too tight when car is manufactured, battery died prematurely because of failed wires, rotors warped causing car to shake violently when braking. All these problems and others for a car with only 60,000 miles. Have spent over $2000 to date in repairs that numerous people have had related to this vehicle. Based on online complaints and talking to mechanics who have worked on this car no one can believe that the correct electrical recall has taken place. There have been electrical recalls on vehicle, but not for most common failure. No one understands why brake issue has not been recalled and no one understands why the radiators keep failing without a recall. Will it take a serious crash? safety of the consumer is at risk. You pay $20,000 for a car and think it will last awhile. This car has major problems that are consistent from buyer to buyer.

- Norwich, CT, USA

Dec 032012

Journey

Car would not start, everything worked far as radio, heater fan, wipers etc. But would not even turn over. Called a tow truck, had car towed to local mech, car started after being removed from tow truck. Mech checked out electrical system, could not find a problem.

- Lexington, MI, USA

Nov 202012

Journey 6-cyl

My 2009 Dodge Journey will not start intermittently. The dealership is unable to diagnose the problem. It has happened 4 times since we bought it in August of 2012.

- Sierra Vista , AZ, USA

Mar 112010

Journey

When I bought my car in 2009. I noticed that my brakes squeaked when I stop I took it back to the dealership, I was told that nothing was wrong. Keep complaining all the time, then the vibration started and I needed rotors and brakes. The aftermarket brakes doesn't fit had to replace them with the dealership brakes. Had to replace a two tire sensors. Had to have my rotors resurfaced will need new rotors. Recently the engine coolant overheating light came on. The fan stop working its electrical the mechanic can't figure out why it stop. My car sometimes doesn't start, took it to a mechanic. No reason why. When my air is on it takes the car longer to gain speed on the highway. I contacted the dealership where I purchased it and Dodge. Both were rude and didn't offer any help. I purchased the extended warranty and it didn't cover anything.

- Akron, OH, USA

Aug 132012

Journey

The contact owns a 2009 Dodge Journey. The contact stated that the vehicle could not be started. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who stated that they could not find the failure. The manufacturer was not contacted. The failure and current mileage was 60,000

- Blue Ridge , GA, USA

Aug 032012

Journey 6-cyl

The 2009 Dodge Journey has many problems and complaints! mine is like many others first the brake system locked up and cost $300 to repair and now the care will not start or starts when it wants to. I took it to the dealer and they now say it is the key switch (electrical) and will now be a $400 bill out of my pocket. No coverage warranty is up, purchased used and was not told that their was a recall on the care when we purchased it. Dodge knows this car has problems but like normal they will not recall the car and fix their problems, they will however allow the care to be on the road and service them over and over because it makes them money. The claims of Dodge is false, this car is not a quality car and many owners have reported the many problems.

- Adrian, MI, USA

Apr 032012

Journey

The contact owns a 2009 Dodge Journey. The contact stated that the vehicle emitted a clicking sound whenever it was started. No warning lights illuminated during the failure. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer and the contact was informed that the failure was related to the starter and the temperature gauge. The vehicle was repaired under the extended warranty. The failure continued. The manufacturer was notified and offered no assistance, stating that the vehicle was not under warranty. The failure mileage was 35,232 and the current mileage was 39,497.

- Omaha, NE, USA

May 222012

Journey

I purchased a 2009 Dodge Journey new in 2008. For the most part did not have any problems with the vehicle until may of 2012. Beginning in May 2012, the car will intermittently not start. When attempting to start the car all I hear is a "click." My husband is a mechanic and has checked all connections, as well as replaced the relays. The dealership is unable to duplicate the problem. This has occurred at least 12 times in approx. 2 months. It is getting progressively worse with no solution available.

- Hampshire, IL, USA

Jul 072012

Journey

The contact owns a 2009 Dodge Journey. The contact stated that the vehicle did not start. There were no prior warnings and no warning lights illuminated on the instrument panel. The vehicle was taken to the dealer and inspected. They determined that the wing module in the ignition needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure, however no assistance was provied. The failure and current mileages were 99,659.

- Bryans Road, MD, USA

May 082010

Journey

The contact owns a 2009 Dodge Journey SXT. The contact stated that without warning, the vehicle would not start. The exterior and interior lights work without any difficulties. The contact have to wait 30 minutes before the vehicle would start and over time it lost power and began to make a knocking sound. The brake pads and the rotors also began to wear excessively. The dealer was notified and stated that the vehicle needed a starter, brakes, brakes pads, rotors, battery, and struts. The dealers estimated repair cost was $2,000 at the contacts expense. The contact replaced the brakes, brake fluid, transmission fluid, and the front rotors for $738.23. The manufacture was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 30,000 and the current mileage was 80,000.

- Plane Field , NJ, USA

Jun 202012

Journey 6-cyl

Since replacing the win in Oct. 2010, fob unlock button sets off alarm instead. In the past six months the car has randomly stalled immediately upon starting. In these same six months, the car has stalled randomlly while driving-- various speeds and road conditions. It is scary to drive a car that loses all power for no apparent reason! win module was replaced 6/21/2012-- second replacement in 1-1/2 years. I wonder if ts is a problem with the overall car wiring or the win modules.

- Lake Orion, MI, USA

Apr 012012

Journey

The contact owns a 2009 Dodge Journey. The contact stated that the vehicle would not start. The failure recurred randomly. The contact stated that all of the lights on the instrument panel illuminated after inserting the key into the ignition. When the contact attempted to start the vehicle, the vehicle emitted a cracking sound. The vehicle was taken to dealer, but the failure was not diagnosed. The manufacturer was not made aware of failure. The failure mileage was 29,345 and the current mileage was 29,845.

- Sturbridge , MA, USA

Jun 172012

Journey 6-cyl

Today after a short trip, the engine refused to start. It clicked, but nothing. Everything else worked. Doors locked and unlocked, windows opened and closed, but as for the starter, nothing. This is the 3rd time the car has refused to start first time. Both other times were less than a year ago. The dealer has not yet been contacted, so I don't know what it will do. A federal complaint will be filed and a link to this site will be provided. 45 or 46 similar complaints are far too many for this not to receive serious attention. The following link shows 45 other similar complaints. www.carcomplaints.com/Dodge/Journey/2009/electrical/engine_wont_turn_over.shtml.M

- Livonia, MI, USA

Feb 012012

Journey

The contact owns a 2009 Dodge Journey. The contact turned the ignition key and there was a delayed response. The engine started after three attempts. The failure recurred intermittently. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer twice but the contact was uncertain of the cause of failure and the specific repairs performed on the vehicle. The manufacturer was notified of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 90,000.

- Bradon , MS, USA

Apr 172012

Journey

The contact owns a 2009 Dodge Journey. The contact stated that the vehicle would not start. The failure was experienced several times. The vehicle was towed to the dealer twice for the failure. The wind module was replaced once but the failure was not corrected. The dealer recently placed the wind module wires and the engine started but the contact believed that the failure could recur. The failure mileage was 47,700 and the current mileage was 47,900.

- Petal , MS, USA