8.1

2. replaced starter motor (5 reports)
  3. computer and wiring needs to be replaced (3 reports)
  4. replace key fobs (3 reports)
  5. replace WICM switch (3 reports)
  6. clean & protect ground connections (2 reports)
2009 Dodge Journey electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Dodge Journey:

2009 Dodge Journey Owner Comments (Page 1 of 5)

Dec 312011

Journey SXT V6

I hate this car!!!!! I had a dodge caliber that I loved and should have kept but i needed more space so i traded in for this 2009 dodge journey crap!!!! I have has it for almost 3 years and occasionally when i try to start it it will not turn over. it is happening more often now I don't know why. Sometimes when I am driving all the lights on my dashboard blink on and off for like 10 minutes making a beeping noise. I don't know why it is doing that crap either. I call dodge customer service and of course they never heard of this issue. I have read over a 1000 complaints about this very same issue on various websites. I am starting a class action lawsuit against dodge this is ridiculous it is obviously a recall issue that needs to be addressed I don't know how may times i have been late to work, school, my kids events because of this problem. I pay to much money for this stupid car to have these problems if you would like to join in the class action lawsuit feel free to contact me jillianr59@gmail.com

Update from Oct 27, 2013: look what I found ! http://blogs.cars.com/kickingtires/2008/06/dodge-journey-r.html and Dodge claims they never did a recall.

- , Columbia, MD, USA

Feb 272012

Journey SXT V6

My Dodge Journey all of a sudden earlier this year just will not start at random times. It clicks but, won't turn over. All electrical works like the lights, radio and power windows.

I haven't had the problem yet of where I was left stranded for more than 10 minutes. I just keep tying to start it and then all of a sudden it just starts.

It's very unreliable and has me very worried. I don't want to be left stranded somewhere. Since I don't know what the problem is and it always starts up after about the 10th try I just don't know what to do. I bought the car used in April of 2009 and I don't have a warranty on it. I'm a single mother who lives pay check to pay check and I certainly don't have any EXTRA money to waste on a problem that nobody seems to know what exactly it is! After googling this problem and reading others' complaints it's comforting to know I'm not crazy and this is a real problem. When you have a monthly car payment on a newer vehicle you are supposed to be paying on reliability and the convenience you're paying to have that your NEWER vehicle will start every time you put your key in it!!! I'm very disappointed in this car and will likely trade it in and research before I ever buy again. This car is a cheap piece of crap that I pay for monthly, shame on you CHRYSLER/DODGE!! It will never be shame on me again because I will never buy from them again.

- , Reno, Nevada, USA

Jun 122013

Journey LX 4 cyl

Numerous complaints read on the car randomly not starting. Same problem as the rest, However though I have not yet found the problem I have found that there is a cable that if you move around it will start! the cable is located under / behind and to the left inside of what appears to be a plastic cover over the exhaust manifold at the front of the vehicle. Reach your hand inside just under the "Y" where the "Manifold" comes together to a single pipe. It may be warm if the car was recently running but I have never been burned by it.

The cable feels like it may be a battery cable of some sort. I will investigate further and re post if I find anything.

- , Taunton, MA, USA

Oct 192010

Journey

Car won't start every once in a while. Just clicks when you turn the ignition. Had the car serviced, but they couldn't find anything wrong. No codes were thrown. Called Dodge and they acted like I was the first person ever to report this. After living with it since 2009, I figured out that it has something to do with the shift lever when it is in park. If if doesn't start on the first try, I jiggle and shake the lever while it's in park. Always starts when I give that lever a good shake/jiggle.

- , Clawson, MI, USA

Apr 142012

Journey LSX 3.5L

While attempting to leave for home on our last day of vacation. I turned the key fob in the ignition...... nothing. Attempted to get a jump..... nothing. This car had just started 15-20 minutes before. When I put the key fob back in the ignition it displayed badkey on the dash for a milli second, so I tried my wife's key fob... nothing. After calling for a tow and waiting about 45-50 minutes the car started up before the tow truck arrived. We drove it to a local dealer when we got there I turned the ignition off and tried to start the car again..... nothing. We waited there for another 35 minutes for a service rep to come out and try to start the car then return to his station without saying anything to us. I tried the key one more time and it started again. we made a mad dash from Charleston, SC. to Ohio without ever turning the car off. The car is now at a dealership and the are wanting to replace the WIN module for $600 plus. They said that this is a "starting point". LOL/CRY.

- , Pickerinton, OH, USA

Jan 032012

Journey SXT

Dodge Journey 2009 - sporadic non-starting. All power works. Starter 'clicks' but won't turn over. Battery strong (new), Happened four times so far. Will start hours or days later. Very dangerous to be stranded.

Reports from others indicate Chrysler either doesn't know how to fix it or doesn't care. Excellent car otherwise. Wife will no longer drive it. Must buy a new car unless Chrysler will provide a RELIABLE fix. I'm very interested in a Class Action Lawsuit. Car is worthless as is. Thousands of money down the drain. Other interested parties please let me know of any lawsuits already in progress. I will consult attorney regarding individual lawsuit...damages for FMV of car plus penalties for stress and endangerment I'd think...will have to see what the attorney will say.

Probably would take years and Chrysler has unlimited amounts of OUR taxpayer funds to defend itself...probably hopeless. Ethics, where did you go?

- , Alpharetta, GA, USA

Aug 012012

Journey SXT 3.5L V6

ONE SOLUTION - I’ve had my 2009 Journey for just over a year and had many times when it wouldn't turn over. I have taken it into the Dodge dealership but the dealership couldn't find a problem so they said I’d just have to live with it. I saw another post on this website with a recommendation to tell the mechanic about a technical service bulletin ( TSB # 08-027-10 ). That’s what I told my mechanic and he said - you want a new NEUTRAL SAFETY SWITCH. Apparently, the car sometimes does not recognize that it is in “park”, so it won’t start up. We tried being more careful with how we stopped and put the car in park, but then had the problem again, so we told the mechanic. It turns out this is an unusual (for them) problem and the mechanic had to look for it in the computer (he said it was “hidden”) but finally found it and did the work. I don’t know the cost since I had an extended warranty and they covered it. I do know that it’s been 3 months now and I haven’t had the problem since.

- , St George, Utah, USA

May 222013

Journey

Add me to the list of people complaining about their Dodge journey. I have a 2009 and it has been a nightmare. First the brakes went out, that cost me $600. Now it hasn't been wanting to start on and off for several months. I do everything short of standing on one leg singing the Star Spangled Banner to get it to start. The dealer acts as if they don't know what I'm talking about and they really don't seem interested in helping me. I just started a new job 17 miles away and I need a reliable car.

When this happens sometimes I get the message bad key, but not always. The lights, radio, blinkers, wipers work just fine but the engine wont do anything. I have decided this is my last Dodge product. If anyone knows the remedy to fix this (since the dealership cant seem to figure it out) please let me know. Thanks!

- , New, IL, USA

Jun 212011

Journey SXT V6

I bought my 2009 Dodge Journey in 2010 and after having it for about 9 months or so, one day I was out and about running a ton of errands and got in my car and it wouldn't turn over. Ever since then this happened over and over again. I have taken it into the Dodge dealership to look at because we bought the extended warranty- however we found out the dealership couldn't find a problem so the warranty wouldn't cover the issue and we had to pay $200 just to have the dealership look at my car. This problem has become worse and worse over the last 3 years and we have thought about trading the car in but also don't want to give some else a terrible car! Why isn't dodge doing anything about this with all these complainants? My cousin is a mechanic and just moved to my area so I'm going to have him look at my car. If I get answers I will post them here.

- , Sparks, NV, USA

Sep 062012

Journey

So, went out to run errands this morning...3 stops later I go to start the car and it half starts then literally just stops. No bang..no click...no kachunk. So I decide to give it another whirl..and now I get lights, radio, etc...but it will not start. No clicks...nothing. RA sends out a battery van to jump-start...nothing. I want to get this repaired obviously, but after reading numerous complaints about this same issue and all the $ sunk into repairs that did not fix the problem I'm almost debating paying someone to steal the thing...it would probably cost less at this point. Has anyone figured out what the real issue here is? I've checked wires and everything seem legit, I've wiggled the shifter, I've wiggled the key, I tried my spare key, then I gave up and went back in the house. Any insight on this problem would be super.

- , Cheektowaga, NY, USA

Jul 072013

Journey

Bought 2009 Dodge Journey used in March of 2011. Have had to take it the dealership three times since I've owned it to try and fix the problem of the engine not turning over when go to start, just clicks. Everything else works, lights, radio, etc. Dealership just replaced the key fobs, couldn't duplicate the problem while at the dealer. Has happened intermittently over the last year and usually if take the key out and try again right away it starts. But just tried to start my car about an hour ago (after using this afternoon with no problem) and it wouldn't start, just clicked. Tried multiple times and then let it sit for about an hour and now it just started. Extremely annoying since I'm still making a car payment, it's obviously out of warranty and the car only has about 48,000 miles on it! Not to mention I've had to have the brakes done twice, calipers and all. My husband just put new tires on earlier this year, so we'll see how long those last. Not all that happy with this car.

- , Rochester Hills, Michigan, USA

Nov 282011

Journey SXT 3.5L

DAUGHTER'S CAR WOULD NOT START, JUMP STARTED NO ISSUE FOR A FEW DAYS. SAME PROBLEM FEW DAYS LATER, INSTALLED NEW BATTERY, DID NOT SEE A PROBLEM WITH OLD BATTERY TESTED FINE. INSTALLED NEW ENGINE TO MOTOR GROUND CABLE, HAVE NOT HAD A PROBLEM SINCE.

- , Lancaster, MO, USA

Jun 042013

Journey SXT V6

Love and Hate my 2009 Dodge Journey! Parts I hate was that at around the 40,000 mile range, start up issues started happening. Bad thing I never knew when it would happen. It would happen during the day when it was super hot (where I live) and at night too. In the beginning it would take 5 mins and then I was on my way. Once it reached the 50,000 mile mark, start up issues happened every other day and lasted ABOUT 1 HR to start. Took Journey to dealer to get serviced. Took it 3 times during the same month for the same start up issues, where the service tech tells me" strange I have never had anyone come in with the same problem u are having on your journey" Really ?! This guy expected me to believe this comment. C'mom. I even told him " I find that hard to believe" Anyways, service tech FINALLY listened to me, where I kept telling him that an ex Certified Dodge Mechanic Employee had told me it was the win module and fob key that was causing the problems. . The module and FOB got replaced and so far so good.

- , Mercedes, Texas, USA

Feb 022013

Journey

We purchased the 2009 Dodge Journey a couple years ago and the first time this problem occurred was actually in the car lot the day we picked it up. My husband went and got the sales guy and we explained what happened and he said that we may ave tripped a sensor when pulling the key out too fast. Huh???? Anyhow, he said to wait a few minutes while it reset itself and it should be fine.

We waited about 10 minutes and it started so off we went. It has intermittently since then but it would start quickly thereafter so it hadn't been a big issue until now.

Yesterday (Feb 2) my husband left early in the morning with the journey for his daily coffee trek and I was getting our son ready for his curling tournament at our local curling club. My husband arrived shortly before we were set to leave. We packed everything up in the car and it would not turn over. We tried everything. Because we were now running late because of this issue, we rolled the journey onto the street (we live on a cul-de-sac) and I took my husbands vehicle while he tried to figure the problem.

About an hour later he arrived at the curling club and said it just started on his own. He called the local Dodge dealership who could not help us. I drove it home after the tournament and it was fine. A few hours later my husband went to go out and the vehicle would not start - at all! Again we pushed it onto the street so we could pull out our other vehicle. Our neighbors helped us push it back to the end of our driveway (slight incline) where it still sits the next day. We have been going to out try and start it every few hours with no such luck!!!!

By the sounds of it, this seems to a common issue for the journey so why isn't Dodge/Chrysler doing anything about this?????

- , Cambridge, ON, canada

May 022013

Journey SXT 3.5L V6

Starter was replaced when I purchased it and it started good for a short period and then would not start and some one told me to put it in neutral then try it. Well it started right up and couple days later I had to put it in neutral again to get it started. (This has happened a few times) Has anyone had the neutral safety switch replaced, that is my next move unless someone tells me different.

- , Fort Wayne, IN, USA

Mar 142013

Journey RT V6

my car is getting on my nerves I want to take it back but there is no lemon law in Indiana .. crazy

Mar 042013

Journey RT V6

They have replaced everything they can so I think they just replaced the key this time. crazy..

Feb 192013

Journey RT V6

Just got my car back for two days and would not start they replaced the WIM system.. Car really pissing me off.

Feb 132013

Journey RT V6

They just had replased the started and it still would not start.. they replaced the Electrical wiring.

Feb 042013

Journey RT V6

Car would not start. They said it was the Starter they changed it..