CarComplaints.com Notes: A prime example of why you should never buy the first model year of a new vehicle.

3.0

2009 Dodge Journey miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Dodge Journey:

2009 Dodge Journey Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Sep 302010

Journey

We bought a Dodge Journey 2009 in 2010 it had very little mileage. It seemed like a nice vehicle. Within a short time the starter began to fail. I never knew when I would get back home or to work. I have been to the dealer many times.replace battery, fobik, had tuneups, trying to find out what was wrong. Still trying--- now they say it might be the- range sensor. Where does it end. Each time the cost is a lot. I really would like to keep the car, but tired of the problem. I get looks from service desk when I come in. Just want my car fixed. This has been going on for about 5 years!!!!! last time had to have it towed from my yard on back of flatbed to the shop. Im not under warranty, now.

- Florence, AL, USA

Jun 012015

Journey

Approximately 6 weeks ago I received a recall notice from Fiat chysler / NHTSA about a safety recall for the wireless ignition node module on my 2009 Dodge Journey. 6 months before that I received a recall notice just from Fiat chysler themselves about the recall. I continue to call weekly and am told they have not started making the part, have no time frame when they will begin shipping the parts and don't know when they will start doing any repairs for my vehicle. I would appreciate any help or solution that the NHTSA can provide my. I have been waiting patiently for a long time for Fiat chysler resolve this problem and feel that they have no intensions of ever doing anything about it. Please feel free to contact me for more information or with any solutions you may have.

- Lincoln Park, MI, USA

Apr 222015

Journey

On Wednesday April 22nd, I was stranded at the grocery store because my 2009 Dodge Journey would not start. I repidetly tried to start the car and I got a "bad key" message on the dash board. Thinking it was the key, I tried my spare key that I keep in my bag but the car would not start. Nothing lit up and there was no noise what so ever from the engine. As a mom with four young kids, this is one of my worst nightmares. Not only were we stranded at the grocery store, we were late for school. We waited for an hour for someone to pick us up and then had to call a tow truck to take the car to our local Dodge dealer. Unfortunately, our dealer has no loner vehicles we could have used.on last Thursday afternoon, I got a call from the brown Dodge service who told me the module needed to be replaced and I had to get two new keys as it all comes together as one package and I was told it would cost $700.. then it happened again a couple of weeks later and I had to pay for yet another tow truck. Same symptom's, the car would not start when I turned the ignition switch. When I took it to the brown Dodge dealer they claimed it was a bad battery. So I paid to have it replaced. Then it happened again but luckily this time the car started after I had to try turn the ignition switch on about fifteen times, and I drove it directly to the dealership again. Once there, I kept it there for 4 days so they could see what was going on. Every time they turn the ignition switch, the car started for them. So nothing was fixed. Well, this has been happening every week for the past three months. This past week I was stuck with my children at the bank for 30 minutes until the car would start. The local dealership cannot fix it and I don't know what to do. It is not safe and I am always worried about my car not starting.

- Charlottesville, VA, USA

Jun 082015

Journey

Car stopped would not start. Was told by dealer westborn Chrysler that Chrysler llc will not issue the recall ignition part. Car was towed to westborn Chrysler 11:31 am on 06/08/2015. The dealer has given me phone numbers to call to no avail. I own my car free and clear. My car has been at dealer for 15 days with no date given for completion of the work. Each time I inquire about car repair, they say Chrysler won't allow them to order part because they have not sold enough Dodge cars. Car is under a recall. Help

- Romulas, MI, USA

Apr 132015

Journey

Attempted to used the remote to unlock the doors but it would not work. Changed the battery still did not work. Had to use the key to unlock the driver door manually. Once in the door locks buttons would not unlock the other doors. Had to open front passenger door manually from insidchre the car. Pull up the door locks on both rear doors in order for the to be opened. Once the car was on we noticed the rear wiper blade does not work nor does the trunk open. There is no manual way to open the trunk at all. I've checked the manual and it never described this issue. Googled it and a lot of others has described this happening to their car but no one can pin point the issue. We changed the fuse this now allowed the driver door only to unlock using the remote, but we still have to manually unlock the rear doors to open them and pull the handle on the front passenger door to open it, as it can't be opened at all from the outside. Changing the fuse did not have an affect on the rear wiper or the trunk. I've never seen a vehicle where the trunk has no other way to be opened. This made it very hard to get to the handle for the spare tire. Received call from customer service after a facebook complaint and they advised we needed to bring it in to the dealer so they can figure it out. We are skeptical because a few months prior to that we took it to the dealer to fix a very bad drag. When you make a left hand turn the car drags and goes really slow and takes a few seconds to get back to normal speed. The dealer charged us close to $500 and did not fix the problem. They fixed something that did not need fixing and told us if was fixed we had to turn around not even a minute after pulling off the lot with it to advise them it was not fixed. They wanted to keep charging us for different things because they could not figure out what it was. We declined because no money for guesses.

- Rochester , NY, USA

May 292015

Journey

I bought my auto in April 0F 2015 and weeks later I started having starting issues were it would just randomly not start after having the starter and battery checked out and found to be no issues. I searched the internet and found hundreds of complaints on this vechile with the same exact issue I contacted dealer and told me they would have to check lots of this out would end up costing me thousands. Another issue I have with the vechile is it leaks in the rear headliner area after having it checked by a shop it found no issues visible read on internet again and found more complaints of the same as well. This car is a lemon and the manufacturer will not fix these issues.

- Terrell, TX, USA

Feb 272015

Journey

My car doesn't start al the time it stalls and I was never advised of the recalls when I purchased the car in Feb 2015 Chrysler has no parts to fix he recall on the ignition and I don't feel safe driving it however they want me to leave my only car with them until it stalls on them for them, to diagnose if it is due to the recall

- Buffalo, NY, USA

Nov 032014

Journey 6-cyl

Tell me why I have this L25 recall that has been in existence for now 3 years, Chrysler says their engineers are working on it but if your family or loved one got into an accident how would you feel? we need this to be rectified and a part needs to be resolved. I need a rental car until this is resolved paid by Chrysler. I dont know who to turn to because if im driving and all the sudden the car shuts off in the middle of the road in traffic, this could spell disaster. Chrysler knows this recall is open and is doing nothing about it we have not been compensated for the inconvenience. We have not had any accidents yet from this car and the recall but that not the point.

- Aurora, CO, USA

Mar 092012

Journey 4-cyl

My vehicle intermittently starts. I put the key in the ignitions all the lights and radio and all other electrical components come on car will just not start. Took the car to the dealer for a diagnostic test all test came back fine and dealer was not able to duplicate the problem. This has been happening everyday and I have to wait hours for the car to get restarted or wait over night for the car to start again. This car is completely unreliable and I have gotten stranded with kids several times for hours.

- Baltimore, MD, USA

Dec 202010

Journey 6-cyl

2009 Dodge Journey - had a complete brake replacement (rotors turned, pads replaced) at 25000 (February 2010) and now at 53000 we have been told all rotors need to be replace, the front right rotor is cracked, all break pads need to be replaced. Called Chrysler tonight 12/27/2010 at 7:05 pm and they no reports of problems with the Dodge Journeys and brake/rotor problems. They advised us to get the vehicle repaired at a Chrysler dealership and have them send it in to corporate. They may pay for the replacement - they have not paid for anyone's replacements nor have they issued a recall. This is my second lemon from Chrysler/Dodge the first was a Chrysler 300 when the front end would not stay in alignment. Please do something about this corporation. Lots of americans are being victimized by the car companies. This absolutely must be stopped.

- Stella, NC, USA

Nov 242010

Journey

The kuhmo tires on the 2009 Dodge Journey were shredding apart and showing the steel tread. Kuhmo is not currently making a tire to replace it and they are back ordered until may of 2011.

- Stillman Valley, IL, USA

Dec 022010

Journey

I own a 2009 Dodge Journey with 78,000 miles the car has been great. At 60K miles I needed to purchase new tires, the car has kuhmo 205 55 R19 tires, kuhmo is the only maker of this size tire, and the tires are on back order indefinitely!!! I was told by Dodge that they were sorry but they could give me a years worth of oil changes for free" great free oil changes for a car I cant drive"

- West Islip, NY, USA

Mar 202009

Journey

I purchased my 2009 Dodge Journey in June 2009. The brakes started to make a grumbling noise when I stepped on the brake. I had only 11950 miles on the car. It was 3/2010. I took it to the dealer and they said it was the brakes and wanted me to pay for the repair. I told them it was still under the 12K warranty, so they did it free of charge. I took it home and it was still doing the same thing. I took it back the next day and asked them to please have the technician drive the vehicle to determine what was wrong. I was 3 miles away from the 12K mile warranty expiring. This time they replaced the rotors. Now it is 9/20/10, and the vehicle is at 21100K. It started to make the same grumbling noise and when I took it to the dealer, they had to replace all 4 rotors. Three days later I had to take the vehicle back because when I go over 60 mph it starts to vibrate and feels like I have a flat tire. I took it to the dealer ad they rotated and balanced the tires. When I got on the interstate, it is still doing the same thing. I emailed Chrysler 2 times and have spoken to them twice. I no longer trust this car. I am afraid everytime I get in the car to drive it, I am putting my life in jeopardy. I know I will have to continue replacing the rotors every few thousand miles.

- Valrico, FL, USA

Jul 092008

Journey

Car leaks, right rear door lock will not always lock, alarm will not cut off, car makes a funny noise when turning, car quit and finally got it started, pulls to left, doors will lock and will take approx. 2 minutes for it to unlock, misses when pulling.

- York, SC, USA