Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: A prime example of why you should never buy the first model year of a new vehicle.

2009 Dodge Journey miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Dodge Journey:

2009 Dodge Journey Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Aug 232016

I have been trying to get any Dodge dealership to help me take care of recall RO3 and I continue to get the run around. I finally got one to make an appointment with and took the day off of work to get it resolved. After waiting for 3.5 hours I was told the "part wasn't in" even though I had scheduled the appointment weeks in advance and was told they had the parts. So again I have gotten the run around from Dodge. I do not have confidence that this problem will ever be taken care of by Dodge.

- Hazelhurst, WI, USA

Jun 012015

Dodge recall R03. We have been waiting over a year for the cullman, al Dodge dealership to perform the recall work for recall R03. Dodge site shows that parts are available but we have still not heard back from cullman Chrysler Dodge. We were put on their waiting list over a year ago.

- Hanceville, AL, USA

Jun 292016

Back doors on both sides fill up with water when it rains or car is washed. You can hearn the water slosshing in rhe door when you swing the door.

- Menasha, WI, USA

Jan 022016

We have had to every few weeks change either the rotors or the hub. Ever since we got the car in January its been with the ABS lights on constintly and squelling coming from the right passenger side only. It even will at times shake like its not going to brake at all.

- Columbia, SC, USA

May 072016

I' got this car and the repairs never stopped coming. I've replaced the brakes & rotors 4 times in 3 years. I had to pay to have the car re-wired due to electrical problems & add a starter, replaced hoses. Shocks and ball joints. This has to be the worst vehicle ever.

- Albany, NY, USA

Mar 012016

Journey 4-cyl

2009 Dodge Journey. Consumer writes in regards to vehicle recall, brakes, cooling flush and fuel injection repairs issue. The consumer stated when she was finally able to take the vehicle to the dealer for the recall, she was informed the vehicle needed other repairs totaling over $1,000. The consumer believed the dealer was being dishonest and trying to make money in labor cost.

- Detroit, MI, USA

Mar 032016

End of valve stem shot out of stem while trying to air up tire, end corroded and broke, replaced stem and sensor unit. Seems that this is a serious problem with the metal types that are put on and installed at the factory on these models cars. Even service station (Firestone) said they have collection of bad stems on these vehicles. I got lucky that I noticed air pressure indicator light was on an took it to station to air up tire when I tried to put air in tire and end shot out like a rocket and then I lost all the air in my tire. What has to be done to have this issue taken care of by the manufacturer when these are obviously defective. Does some one have to be driving down the road get in an accident because the stem blows out and they get a flat or blow a tire. My car was stationary at the tire pump at the time this happened, I called road side assistance to remove my tire but there was nothing they could do otherwise.

- Waterford, MI, USA

Dec 202015

There is a electrical malfunction in this vehicle fuses go out every couple of months, dual control heat right side does not heat, also when driving burning smell coming out of heat went, had several parts replaced. I contacted manufacturer regarding the issues, their reply was " we are sorry that you have issues but we cannot help you", purchased after market warranty and they refuse to cover the heat issue.

- Utica, NY, USA

Jan 252016

We called our local Dodge dealer, university Dodge of florence Alabama and we were told that the safety recall that is required for our vehicle was not able to be ordered at this time, and might take upwards of 2 years to recieve the part to fix the recall. This is unacceptable to me and endangers our safety and our families safety.

- Muscle Shoals, AL, USA

Sep 152015

I called Chrysler about 2 1/2 to 3 months ago about my recall and they told me it would be about 6 weeks to get me in but I have yet to hear back from them I'm a mom the last thing I need is my can defecting causing me and my lil girl to wreck and get hurt

- Lebanon, MO, USA

Oct 302015

I received notice that my vehicle was on the recall list for the win module and L25 safety recall. I called my local dealer the very next day. This was in May 2015. I was informed there were no parts available and that I would be added to the waiting list. Recently my vehicle has started shutting off after I crank it. Sometimes this happens when I have just cranked it but other times I am moving such as backing out of my driveway or pulling out of a parking lot. I recalled the dealer and they still told me there were no parts available.

- Meridian, MS, USA

Oct 072009

I have a 2009 Dodge Journey SXT. I bought this new from the dealership in mckinney, tx. My complaint is the sunroof has leaked from the day I bought it and it still does leak. Dealership will not help me even when it was under warranty. I stuck and do not know what to do. It is getting so bad now that I carry a small tarp with me so I can put it over the top if there is rain in the forecast. Very upset and disappointed by the effect of Chrysler to help me with this.

- Mckinney, TX, USA

Aug 102015

I received safety recall notice- L25/NHTSA 14V-373 which informed me to take my car to the dealer to have a possible safety condition with the fobik repaired/replaced. It stated that the engine may shutoff during operation as well as air bags and could increase crash risk and occupant injury. After a lengthy wait of almost 4 months or so for parts I took my vehicle to the dealer. I showed them the safety notice prior to the work being done and they informed me I would have to pay for a key shank. I disputed with them that the notice says parts and labor were free of charge. I still had to pay $37.31 for the key shank they gave me some type of explanation but I am still not happy that I had to pay any amount of money because the notice clearly says parts and labor free of charge. I have the original safety notice and receipts from the repair work.

- Riverside , RI, USA

Sep 062013

On multiple occasions over the past few years my 2009 Dodge Journey will not start. There is no warning and it's become a gamble to drive my car and risk getting stranded somewhere. The vehicle will just click when I turn the keyfob and sounds like a dead battery, but all lights, radio, windows etc work fine. I have replaced the battery 3X as suggested by my local Dodge dealership but they fail to identify why this is a recurring problem. I have also been waiting for almost a year for repairs related to recalls they are unable to correct since the parts are not available. My vehicle also has a history of the panic alarm going off when pushing the unlock button the keyfob (I've made sure the panic was not hit by accident - this is not operator error). Once the panic alarm is sounding the keyfob becomes useless and won't work. I have to take the key out of the fob, unlock the door using the key, get in put keyfob in car turn car on, turn car back off, take keyfob out of ignition and click the unlock and/or panic buttons to get the alarm to shut off.

- Virginia Beach, VA, USA

Jun 062015

My 2009 Dodge Journey will sometimes not start up. The first event was on Saturday, June 6th. The car turns on but the fails to turn over unreliably and often. The car is unpredictable. Being able to go anywhere has been a roll of the dice. We have a recall on the Journey set up with milosch palace dealership in Michigan, our dealership. However, they have been very unreliable. We received the recall letter in June. We were set up an appointment on July 9th and told we had a part waiting for us. We showed up to the scheduled appointment and they did not have a part for us. They then told us it was back ordered and we would be informed when the part arrived. It has been over a month since the appointment and over two months since we have been informed of the recall and still no repair. This is unacceptable. We still have yet to receive the part for repair on the recall.

- Lake Orion , MI, USA

Mar 032014

Journey 4-cyl

My vehicle has continued to switch to off on numerous occasions. I was told it was something that is being worked on. Then I was told my vehicle was not on the recall list of vehicles. Then I receive paperwork stating it was on the recall list. I contacted my local dealership who informed me the part/parts needed for the recall are on back order. There are over 300 on backorder. This is pretty ridiculous. So everyday as I drive I constantly have the fear that my car will switch to off in any given moment.....updated 11/13/15 updated 1/4/2016

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Jul 292015

Dealer, dennis dillon Dodge in nampa, id. Won't fix or order parts needed for the recall on my VIN.

- New Plymouth, ID, USA

May 212015

No crank/ no start. Battery fine. Gauges light up. Have been towed to dealership 4 times in two months. Ignition has been replaced twice, replaced tipm module, and wire from tipm with no results. It's at the dealership for the fifth time right now.

- Trevor, WI, USA

Feb 222015

On February 22, 2015, my 2009 Dodge Journey miraculously caught on fire. The car was sitting in the parking lot of my church on top of a small snow pile. After about 40-45 minutes the car started smoking. Both the fire and police department came to the scene. The fire department told me that it looked as though it was an engine departmental fire. I contacted Chrysler on February 24th to give my statement and then I was notified that someone was going to inspect the vehicle and then let me know of any findings. On March 6th I received a letter stating that the wingate L25 was not the cause of the fire, but they never mentioned what was the actual cause. Needless to say I got the run around for about a month and in the end Chrysler's legal department told me that the findings were unknown and that they were not going to do anything about it. My vehicle was burnt up by the time it completed it's was so bad to the point you could barely recognize my child's car seat. I did not even have the vehicle for a year and this happened. I'm very grateful that no one got hurt because this could have been fatal. This has put me in a financial ruins and Fiat Chrysler doesn't seem to care anything about it's consumers. I will never buy a Chrysler vehicle again.

- Warren, MI, USA

Sep 302010

We bought a Dodge Journey 2009 in 2010 it had very little mileage. It seemed like a nice vehicle. Within a short time the starter began to fail. I never knew when I would get back home or to work. I have been to the dealer many times.replace battery, fobik, had tuneups, trying to find out what was wrong. Still trying--- now they say it might be the- range sensor. Where does it end. Each time the cost is a lot. I really would like to keep the car, but tired of the problem. I get looks from service desk when I come in. Just want my car fixed. This has been going on for about 5 years!!!!! last time had to have it towed from my yard on back of flatbed to the shop. Im not under warranty, now.

- Florence, AL, USA