Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: A prime example of why you should never buy the first model year of a new vehicle.

2009 Dodge Journey suspension problems

suspension problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Dodge Journey:

2009 Dodge Journey Owner Comments

May 202014

The ignition reads bad key and won't start. The tire stems corrode and break off. The calipers are defective which cause the breaks, tires and rotors to wear. This vehicle has too many defects and should have been recalled years ago.

- Adelphi, MD, USA

May 072013

I have been having problems with my 2009 Dodge Journey. I also have problems trying to turn it on sometimes. I believe it might be the key or ignition. I bought a new battery thinking my old one was dead and it also started great for a few weeks and then it started doing it again. Sometimes I turn the key around and it turns on fine and sometimes it does not. It is frustrating because sometimes it does it when I am away from home. I am also having problems with my front brakes or suspension because when I press on the brakes my steering wheel starts to shake. I had my brake pads and rotors checked and they are good. I just do not know what else to do because every trip to the mechanic costs money. There should be a recall on this vehicle!

- Wharton, TX, USA

Feb 012013

Brakes, allignment, drive shaft was bent...4th set of tires purchased in Feb. 2013 gas tank & fuel pump needed replaced April 2013 caliper locked up causing fire, vehicle needed to be towed May 2013.

- Webster, TX, USA

Apr 152013

Journey 6-cyl

Have had the rack and pinion fixed 1 1/2 years ago and it is leaking again. Have had to put 3 sets of brake pads on in 3 years. Also had to put new rotor and brake caliper on right front due to brake locking up! this car only has 53,600 miles on it and has been one thing after another breaking down on it. Been told by two Dodge mechanics this should not be happening. Would like for the dealer to do something about it. Been told there were recalls on this car and we have never gotten one in the mail. Help!!

- Niota, IL, USA

Oct 122010

I have had to replace the brakes on my 2009 Dodge Journey 3 times since March of 2009, my car only has 35,000 miles on it. I feel that the brakes are defective and are not safe. They do not provide a safe driving enviroment.

- Beaufort, SC, USA

Sep 152010

Purchased vehicle new in June of 2009. Front brakes gone and eating into rotors by 26,000 miles. Little over a year. 90% of driving is freeway driving. Very little stop and go. Replaced brakes and had rotors turned. Rotors warped and front and rear brakes gone again at 35,245 miles one year later. Replaced front rotors and all 4 sets of brakes. Front struts have gone out now as well. Definitely too much weight for vehicle brakes and suspension. If not watched complete failure expected before recommended maintenance changes!!

- Redfield, AR, USA

Nov 112008

Journey 4-cyl

04/10/11 NHTSA headquarters 1200 New Jersey avenue, SE West building Washington, DC 20590 to whom it may concern. I am writing you in reference of the purchased of my brand new vehicle, a 2009-Dodge Journey SE on June 08, 2008. This car beginning to have problems after it 6,000 miles having a numerous repairs since them. I submitted the car to the lemon law before the warranty time expired. Chrysler group denied it arguing that my car is running under the company expectation. Currently the car still has suspension problem and noises(such as brake noises, turn wheel noises and other). The car bouncing after 50 mp miles and every time that bumps on the street or on the highway the vehicle makes strongly bounces. The company states the bouncing and the noises are part of the cars manufactured. In addition to all the reported repairs, the seats get easily stain with any type of liquid and the black color of the interior is fading, I mean the black is becoming gray. I will submit any document that could support my claim if is required.

- Broward, FL, USA

Jun 042010

I have a 2009 Dodge Journey. I have not had any injuries associated with the issue, however feel as though there is the possibility for injury to occur. The car is 2 years old and already the rotors have been diagnosed as being warped 3 times, one of which the car had only been driven 6000 miles since the warpage and then warped again. Completely unacceptable. There is also a problem with the suspension. Due to the fact that all this is occurring, I feel as though this could lead to major safety issues.

- Margate, FL, USA