7.9

1. replace with good quality pads and rotors (44 reports)
  3. replace brakes and rotors (16 reports)
  4. Chrysler extending warranty to 36k miles (8 reports)
  5. dealer paid after calling Dodge (4 reports)
  6. Dodge did not pay a penny! (4 reports)
2010 Dodge Journey brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Dodge Journey:

2010 Dodge Journey Owner Comments (Page 1 of 5)

Feb 102015

Journey SE 2.4L

Set #5, I almost got 20000 miles on one set of brakes, that would have been a record.

Aug 032013

Journey SE 2.4L

48000 miles and now on my fourth set of brakes, This time I had the front brakes done as well.

Oct 012012

Journey SE 2.4L

Replaced brakes again, now on to the third set of brakes

Oct 012011

Worn Rear brakes 18000 miles. Not Covered under warranty

Dec 102014

Journey SXT 3.5L V6 Sohc 24v

Had new brakes and rotor installed Sept. Now told have 40% left on brakes. ARE YOU KIDDING ME??? Yes, high quality was used.

- , Raytown, Missouri, USA

Oct 172014

Journey SXT 3.5L V6

I AM SO FREAKING OVER THIS ISSUE! Seriously Dodge... recall the car and fix the brakes. This is my one and only vehicle to transport my kids and I school and work. I teach high school English and take my kids to practices and dance recitals. I'm not slam shifting or drifting the car like I'm on a dirt track. There is no reason for a car to need brakes 3 times in less than 3 years. It's not the parts...it's the brake system. The horrible factory parts have been replaced 4 times over and it is still causing issues.

I can't trade the car off because I can't afford to take on a new payment. I will never buy a Dodge again. Burned your bridge with me Chrysler.

Jul 162013

Journey SXT 3.5L V6

Oh the joy.... 20K miles and here the problem comes back. Replace front and back brakes and resurface rotor. Previously replaced the rotor because it was warped.

Mar 252012

Journey SXT 3.5L V6

Less than 6 months of ownership lead me to the auto repair shop for a costly repair. Front and Back brakes and replacement on the right rear rotor. I was able to buy the parts myself and get it installed at a national repair chain.

Oct 182014

Journey SXT 3.5L V6

Took car in for service this morning. Now I'm looking at a $1200 repair. What I was hoping was a simple brake pad replacement has now become a saga. Service tech reports that the parking brake is engaged on the right side and not on the left when the regular brakes are applied.

Recommendation is to replace brake lines, rear calipers, front right rotor and pads all the way around by independent car repair center. Waiting for Dodge dealership service which will take a week to get me in. No car to drive until Dodge submits notice for warranty approval.

Total brake failure.... Slid through a stop sign and into a ditch. Luckily I felt the brakes get spongy and had enough time to at least slow it with putting the parking brake on. Not injured but scared the crap out of me. I hate this car.

Aug 012014

Journey

I bought this car with 6000 miles and the brakes should be fine for longer than this. I would like Dodge to pay for brake pads and rotors.

- , Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio, USA

Jun 182014

Journey

I have owned several cars in the past 20 years. Out of all of them, I have maybe had to have brake work done once and that was on a car that was ten years old. Our Journey is less than 3 and requires new rotors, shoes and probably calipers. Weak.

- , Port Hope, Ontario, canada

Sep 282010

Journey

Car would "shimmy" and "shutter" when applying brakes. Brought car to dealer to fix problem. Dealer fixed the problem told me that is should fix the problem. Fixed problem until it happened again.

- , Stony Brook, New York, USA

Jul 122012

Journey RT 3.2L

The brakes are continuing to have premature wear. At times the car will not start. I will have to try and try and try and try to keep turning the key on and off. Sometimes I have to sit for 30 minutes trying to start the Journey before it will start. The dealer said they cannot fix it because it did not do it while the car is in there. I would think that we are not the only ones to experience this problem.

The dealer (Kolosso) made no effort to research this problem in their records to see if there were existing cases where they could possibly help us. My wife and I are close to retirement age. I have in the past last Chrysler products for over 20 years. I told my wife I would buy one more car to carry us to retirement. My wife chose the Dodge Journey. WHAT A MISTAKE. I may end up having to sell this junk and buy something reliable.

- , Greenville, WI, USA

Aug 082014

Journey

The rotor warped going down the mountain the first time, they are way too small for the weight of the vehicle. I've had them replaced numerous times. They need to provide heavier duty rotors at no cost. Chrysler needs to fix this !

- , Banco, VA, USA

Jun 002010

Journey SXT V6

I'm starting here at the beginning... bought this car new in January of 2010 and it currently has 24,196 miles. Within the first year had to replace the rotors. Followed by two recalls..

- , Big Bear City, CA, USA

Nov 222013

Journey SXT 3.4L

This vehicle is the biggest piece of crap I have ever owned. I have 89000 kms on it and the brakes have been done 4 times already. The dealer said that the sun must have warped the rotors when my wife brought it in the first time. The second and third time i needed them fixed it was a fight to get any help from chrysler canada, the fourth time I replaced them I did them myself and saved 700 dollars. The power steering system is also garbage, The return line blew a week after my final payment and a week after that the whole power steering rack had to be changed. small pin holes in the aluminum rack. The mechanic said it must be the cold weather. Now I am missing a litre of oil between oil changes. 6000kms. This is normal apparently. Also I now have a humming sound. Not sure if its a wheel bearing or transaxle bearing. I suppose if it is covered under powertrain warranty it will probably be a wheel bearing. Oh yah good luck with the tires, I have the 19 inch rims. Big mistake. Good luck finding tires and if you do you may have to give up your left nut. All in all I must say that I am not impressed. I have owned many vehicles in my life but hands down this is the worst ever. When you buy local you think you might get decent customer service but I was wrong.

The vehicle was $30000. 4 years later I will be lucky to get $10000 for it. Bad investment.

Good luck to you if you decide to buy one.

Claymore Clamhammer

- , Sudbury, ON, Canada

Jul 152011

Journey ES3.5 3.5L

Had to replace rear pads and rotors at 22000 miles, brakes were metal to metal. then again at 45000 miles. At first I thought like everyone else inferior parts. the problem is the tabs on the pads which hold the breaks in the calipers are too tight, which cause the pads to constantly rub against rotors. not enough to notice but enough to cause premature wear out. the fix is to use a grinder or file to remove a little metal on the tabs of the new pads so they slide freely in the calipers without binding or holding too tight. I now have 56000 miles and no issues. Good thing I have been working on cars self taught for 30+ years and realized the problem because Chrysler told me the same thing they tell everyone else, out of warranty and they don't know what causes it. Well if they read my post they will have their answer.

- , Newberry, MI, USA

Jun 022014

Journey SXT 3.5L V6

This is the second time! Brake pads & rotors already replaced at under 30,000 miles.

- , Aurora, OR, USA

Sep 112012

Journey

Had the car for only two years and had to have front and back brakes replaced. Last week had the tie rod end replaced and the back brakes AGAIN.

After having the vehicle for only a couple of months I received a letter saying that the brakes may need to be replaced at 40,000 km. And of course at 41000 sure enough they had to be done. Makes you wonder what kind of parts they were using. Last car I had for 13 years, had the brakes done maybe twice.

- , Botwood, NL, Canada

Jun 152012

Journey SXT 3.5L

I was able to have front pads and rotors and rear pads and rotors replaced under warranty at 17k. At 30k, same issue again. I upgrade the rotor with aftermarket rotors and good quality pads and so far so good.

- , Georgetown, KY, USA