8.0

1. replace with good quality pads and rotors (42 reports)
  3. Chrysler extending warranty to 36k miles (8 reports)
  4. dealer paid after calling Dodge (4 reports)
  5. Dodge did not pay a penny! (3 reports)
  6. replace brakes and rotors (3 reports)
2010 Dodge Journey brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Dodge Journey:

2010 Dodge Journey Owner Comments (Page 1 of 5)

Jun 152012

Journey SXT 3.5L

I was able to have front pads and rotors and rear pads and rotors replaced under warranty at 17k. At 30k, same issue again. I upgrade the rotor with aftermarket rotors and good quality pads and so far so good.

- , Georgetown, KY, USA

Nov 112013

Journey SXT

Today I brought in my Journey for a maintenance check up to Windsor Chrylser. After being shuttled home I received a call with from the dealer and was told that the brakes and rotors both front and back need replacing. I asked for a quote and was told that the back brakes are Metal-on-metal and the fronts have only 1/3" left. I asked to verify why this hadn't been addressed when the brakes were recaliperd lat year? I asked how the brakes could have gone from good to Metal-on-metal with only 20,000 km and having not pulled anything with the vehicle? The service person said he'd speak to the manage and called me back only tell me that the price is the price and they would do nothing to assist AS THEY WERE ONLY WARRANTIED FOR 1 YEAR. I had bough extended Warranty. I haven;t decided what action other that report this complaint and I will be calling DODGE to express my complaint as well.

Part 2 Brake Vibration: "I had told the Chrysler dealer of the issue of brake vibration on a routine maintenance inspection. I had heard of a recall of 2009 brakes from a friend in the U.S. who had his replaced. I was told it was not an issue on the 2010 brakes. When I got the vehicle back I was told it was just a caliper issue and they were reset. I was told that the breaks were fine now, and the vibration had stopped.

In May of 2010 I brought the vehicle in for a maintenance inspection and was told that there was some wear on the front brakes. I should consider changing the pads. on the next maintenance inspection. I asked about a recall and was told there were none in the system for this vehicle, and it was not covered. I was quoted $365.00 plus labor and tax. At no time was there mention of the back brakes."

- , Windsor, ON, canada

Oct 162013

Journey 3.3L

LIKE MOST OTHER COMPLAINANTS FRONT BRAKES AND ROTORS WERE REPLACED BY DEALERSHIP AT LESS THAN 20000 KM UNDER WARRANTY. NOW THE REARS NEED TO BE REPLACED AT JUST OVER 50000 KM.

ANSWER TO BOTH PROBLEM DON'T USE DODGE/CHRYSLER DEALERSHIPS FOR REPAIR. THEY ONLY INSTALL THE SAME GARBAGE THAT IS ALREADY INSTALLED WHEN VEHICLE IS PUT TOGETHER. GET GOOD QUALITY AFTERMARKET PARTS

- , Hamilton, Ontario, Canada

Sep 182013

Journey

Roy's Dodge in Grand Island, NE would not cover the cost of the premature break and rotor problem on my car. I had told them I was aware of the issues they have been having and all of the complaints, however it got me nowhere. I contacted Dodge and spoke with a VERY friendly lady who recognized this was a problem with this model and year. She contacted the dealership and asked them to work with my on taking care of some of the repair costs due to only having 33,700 miles on the vehicle and this being an issue. They refused to do anything to help with the cost. I was forced to pay to replace the brakes and rotors totally out of pocket! After doing more research and speaking to other Journey owners I guess I should be prepared to do this all over again in 7000-9000 more miles. Dodge needs to make a recall and make the situation right with their customers who spent A LOT of money on their product!!!

- , Grand Island, NE, USA

Aug 272013

Journey SXT 3.6L

Front brakes wore out at 23000 miles but Dodge/Chrysler repaired them. Then rear brakes completely worn out at 27200 miles.

Rear breaks on most vehicles last 60 to 80 thousand miles in all wheel disc brake systems. Non-functional actuators caused the problem. Dodge/Chrysler said too bad and would not help pay for work or parts. Had my mechanic purchase all new parts and installed them. He is a Chrysler/Dodge tech who was laid off from the dealership where I bought my car due to the new service manager wanting to hire his friend who was unemployed. They have all lost my business now.

Update from Sep 9, 2013: Dodge/Chrysler extended warranty for faulty brakes on new Journey to 36000 miles or three years does not help people that ony drive 6000 to 7000 miles a year. We are out the money for repairs because Dodge/Chrysler will not help with the issue that is thier design flaw or faulty parts to start with.

- , Batavia, Illinos, USA

May 212012

Journey

2010 dodge Journey with 33k miles, brakes and rotors replaced twice. Now that we are having a severe shimmy problem when applying brakes, dealer is saying that it may be the tires. This is the second set of tires we have put on the vehicle.

I have a Jeep product with the same amount of miles and the brakes are fine.

There is no way that we should have to put brakes and rotors on a vehicle every 15K miles. Braking is very poor due to the shimmy. I almost rear ended a vehicle last night because of the poor braking.

This needs to be recalled and repaired.

- , Montgomery, NY, USA

Jun 112012

Journey V4

Dodge in Medina, Ohio would not cover the cost of the premature break problem on my car because they stated that they are not sure why my breaks were so bad. I had told them I was aware of the issues they have been having and all of the complaints, however it got me nowhere. I was forced to pay to replace the brakes and rooters totally out of pocket!

Why is it that companies cannot just do the right thing? This is exactly why companies have so many lawsuits to deal with!

- , Medina, Ohio, USA

Nov 012012

Journey SXT 3.5L

I have owned dodges all my life, and this is the first problem I have had that isn't due to normal wear. This is a design issue and should have never been allowed into production. I can afford to fix my car, and did the work myself, but it is still way too early to have to change out both rotors and pads.

Tonight, after returning from a short 20 mile trip, the right rear pad was smoking badly. I have to pull the brakes out again tomorrow to determine what the cause is.

I would just replace the calipers if they would design new ones to fit.

- , Lexington, OH, USA

Aug 012012

Journey SXT V6

I have had the vehicle 3 years and it has been in the shop more than I can say... I have had front brakes (rotors and pads) replaced at 12500 kms, 25000 kms, 30000 kms and now they will be replaced again this week at 39000 kms. Rear brakes (pads and rotors) done at 25000 kms, and 37000 kms.

This is absolutely ridiculous and should be RECALLED by Chrysler Canada and FIXED or the vehicles should be bought back by the dealerships to help us who purchased these awful vehicles.

I am ready to go to the news, and write in the papers where I live to try and have something done... These vehicles never should have been allowed to be put into production!!!!

- , Kelowna, BC, Canada

Jul 182013

Journey R/T 3.5L V6 High- Output

Same run around, not under warranty ,called it routine maintenance .. Seriously ? My husband could have gotten killed, or me... because of substandard parts for their " Crossover " vehicle. We want to know what Chrysler Group intends to do, before people star dying because of substandard equipment !

- , Yorkville, Illinois, USA

Sep 192011

Journey R/T 3.5L V6 High- Output

!st Complaint 9-19-2011 , Brakes & rotors, terrible shaking & vibrating. Could hardly hang on to steering wheel.Took in for Dodge to fix, they did. Cost 50. 00 . Had received a letter from Chrysler Group dated 3-10-2011 stating will pay. & on 7-18-2013 had $867.53, charged to Me for new brakes & rotors for all 4 wheels ! Asked if it was under warranty, they said No. Now, we have had 3 dodge vehicles since 1994. Always had them maintained according to their rules. Now this crap happens... Not too happy right now.

- , Yorkville, Illinois, USA

Jul 162012

Journey RT AWD V6

I like many other people have zero confidence in chrysler as a company, who knowingly put poor and inappropriate size brake systems on the dodge journey model.

It seems the "Bean Counters" at chrysler think that saving money at the customers expense is a liability they want to accept. I think this may turn out to be a thorn in their side that will haunt them for a long time to come. Can anyone point me in the direction of any of these ongoing class action suits against them for the brake/rotor issues?

Already looking for another car to replace this pile of rubbish. Can anyone suggest a car make and model that has the highest satisfaction and lowest parts replacement history. I think that many would prefer to suffer a higher sticker price with the confidence that they will not be dinged every few months with replacing defective parts.

Chrysler...you need to pay attention to quality not your purse strings !!

- , Somewhere, Out There, Canada

May 102011

Journey SXT 3.5L V6

first starting experiencing braking problems May 10, 2011 with 25917 km on the vehicle and at that time Windsor Chrysler replaced my front rotators and brake pads on both sides of the vehicle. On March 15, 2012 I started experiencing braking problems again with 45029 km on the vehicle and once again Windsor Chrysler replaced my front rotators and brake pads on both sides of the vehicle. On both occasions the vehicle would shake violently left to right when I was braking at speed of 100 km when as this occurred suddenly without any other warning that the braking system failed and needs repair. Now and Aug 12, 20012with 54000 km on my Journey I,m starting to have the same problems and signs as before with the brakes. I will say even with the new pads & rotors the Journey jumps when braking from speed of 100km/60mph until speed decreases 20km/10mph.

- , Windsor, Ontario, canada

Oct 012012

Journey SXT 3.7L V6

Would like the extended warranty to cover both front and rear brakes as all of mine were bad

- , Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Jun 082011

Journey SE

Purchased my vehicle in August 2010 Brand new with only 6 miles on it. We took it for a test drive and everything seemed fine. I actually loved driving it. Within a week of driving it I noticed a very loud rubbing noise almost as if there was a bad wheel bearing. I contacted the dealer regarding the noise and an appointment was set for me to bring it for service (50 miles on it now). Of course after taking it to the useless Dealership McInerney's they stated that nothing was wrong it. It's a new vehicle and I needed to get use to the sounds of everything.

Several times after that the noises got louder and so did the grinding on the brakes. Then came the shaking. Oh let's not mention the constant amount of rust build up that was on the rotors daily. Under 12,000 miles my rotors were shot along with my brakes and had to be replaced.

Let's not mention the tires on these things are complete JUNK!!!! You would expect them to last possibly a year but forget it! All along I have kept the dealer informed of all the problems I have had with this and had made service appointments regularly regarding all of this and every time they stated there was nothing wrong.

I have also had major problems with it not starting and not wanting to start. When it doesn't start it's almost as if the engine is dead but there is still power to the radio etc...

When I brought it back in to the same dealer McInerney's for Service yet again there is nothing wrong with it....of course not I'm a girl and it's still in warranty, why would there.

So now this brings me to not even a year later after having the breaks and rotors replaced and several calls to Chrysler direct, mind you which has got me no where! My brakes and Rotors are completely shot yet again and now that it has 28,000 miles on it I will have to pay $100 for them to fix them even though it hasn't been a year since they replaced them I should be responsible to pay for Chrysler's so called deductible/warranty? Sorry but if it's a brand new vehicle and it's under the 36,000 mile warranty for everything else then why the hell are all of us getting screwed paying for engine, brake/rotor and tire problems every 6-8 months when we already pay enough for vehicles. Then people wonder why Chrysler and Dodge goes Bankrupt and people start buying Foreign? I should have stuck with FORD like I drove all along and I would have NEVER had all these damn problems!!!!

- , Trenton, MI, USA

Jul 092013

Journey LX V6

Brakes/rotors should never wear this early in the game

no mention at the last check- suddenly "severely rusted"

- , Thunder Bay, ONT, canada

Jun 192013

Journey SXT 3.2L V6

When applying brakes, rotors grind and the steering wheel starts to shake. Have only owned the car for about a year and a half and these problems should not be happening yet. Why should I have to replace my pads every 6 months? This does not make any sense at all and I will write to Chrysler to let them know about my problem!

Pierre, Gatineau, QC

- , Gatineau, Quebec, Canada

Mar 192012

Journey

I purchased my vehicle in February 2012 and within 1 month the brakes were grinding. The dealership replaced the front brakes and rotors and I was happy with that solution. HOWEVER, I have now had my vehicle for 11 months and the rear brakes are doing the same thing. After doing some research, I see that this is a problem with the 2009-2010 Journey's braking system design. It needs to be fixed by Chrysler!!

- , Tuscaloosa, AL, USA

Jun 292012

Journey LX 3.2L V6

IAM JUST NOW CATCHING UP TO ALL THE COPLAINTS THAT I THOUGHT WERE MY OWN ALONE!

I HAVE BEEN REPLACING AND REPAIRING BRAKES ON TRUCKS CARS AND NOW THIS JOURNEY FOR THE PAST 4 YRS. NO, NEVER SEEN ANYTHING AS POORLY DESIGNED OR IN NEED OF SOOO MUCH ATTENTION! CHEVY AND GMC ARE MY PRIDE. NO, I WANTED A DODGE BECAUSE OF ALL THE HYP AND THAT GROWLY VOICE ON THE COMMERCIALS DREW ME IN. MY INSTINCTS SAID 'NO' BUT MY WIFE WANTED THE VEHICLE AND IT JUST LOOKED SO GOOD I NEVER DREAMED THAT DODGE WOULD STOOP TO SUCH A LOW LEVEL OF QUALITY SO AS TO ENFURIATE LITERALLY EVERY OWNER OF A JOURNEY! THIS IS IGNORANCE ON A MEGA-SCALE!!! WE HAD THE THING IN THE SHOP A FEW WEEKS AFTER WE CAME HOME FROM ALEXANDRIA BAY AREA. WE BOUGHT IT FROM THE DEALER UP THERE AND WE LIVE LIKE 100 MILES FROM THERE AND NEVER EXPECTED BRAKE PROBLEMS WITHIN ABOUT TWO MONTHS. WE TOOK IT TO A DEALERSHIP AND THEY SAID THE FRONT ROTOR WAS WARPED AND WANTED SOMETHING LIKE 365.00 TO REPLACE IT AND CHECK THE REST OF THE SYSTEM. A LOT OF HOOPLAA AND SOME PHONE CALLS LATER AND THEY SAID THEY WOULD FIX IT FOR 65.00, AND THEY WOULD SUPPLY THE PARTS. THEY SAID THE REAR BRAKE WAS MAKING NOISE BECAUSE OF 'ROAD DUST'!!THEY WOULD ONLY FIX THE FRONT FOR 65.00. I TOLD THEM TO FIX THE FRONT AND LEAVE THE REST ALONE. I HAD TO DO THE JOB OVER AGAIN BECAUSE THEY DIDN'T GREASE THE GUIDE/GLIDES FOR THE PADS AND THEY HUNG-UP. THE REAR BRAKE WAS SMOKING HOT AND LITERALLY DISABLED THE VEHICLE UNTIL THE MONEY AND PARTS BECAME AVAILABLE A FEW DAYS LATER. I REPLACED ONE REAR ROTOR AND ONE CALIPER, BOTH SIDES GOT NEW PADS. ALL THIS WITHIN 3 MONTHS AFTER WE BOUGHT THE VEHICLE, BETWEEN SEPTEMBER 17 AND 21ST OF 2011. I DID THE WORK MYSELF. THE JOB WAS VERY DIFFICULT. THE BRAKE PADS WERE TOO TIGHT FOR THE CALIPERS AND HAD TO BE FILED BY HAND, ROUNDED ON THE CORNERS SO THEY WOULD NOT CATCH ON THE GLIDES, AND WORKED A BIT IN THE GLIDES AND GREASED BEFORE I FELT I COULD TRUST THEIR PURFORMANCE. IT WAS A LOOOOOOT OF WORK!!! I AM A PATIENT MAN, AND THAT IS WHY I NEVER LOOKED FOR A COMPLAINT WEB SIGHT, BUT THIS REALLY HAS TO BE MADE PUBLIC. THIS IS AN INSULT TO EVERY OWNER OF A 2010 DODGE JOURNEY. THE VEHICLE IS DESIGNED TO IMPRESS A SMART DECISION FOR FAMILY ORIENTED, SAFETY CONSCIOUS INDIVIDUALS WHO ARE WORKING HARD TO MAKE GOOD, VERY IMPORTANT DECISIONS. THE BRAKING SYSTEM, ACCORDING TO MY PARTS PLUS GUY, IS UNDERSIZED FOR THE VEHICLE. HE HAS OTHERS WHO COME IN AT 6 MONTH INTERVALS AND REPLACES ROTORS, PADS, AND IN MY CASE, CALIPERS. IF THIS ISN'T A CRIME, THEN THE DEFINITION OF 'PUBLIC THEFT' NEEDS TO BE WRITTEN IN A WAY THAT THE CORPORATION OF CHRYSLER/DODGE/JEEP UNDERSTANDS. BY THEIR ACTIONS, OR RATHER, LACK OF CORRECTING THEIR VERY DANGEROUS INVENTION, THEY HAVE BECOME GUILTY OF EVERY CRIME FROM COMMON THEFT OF MONEY PROVISIONS FOR THE HOUSEHOLD TO ENDANGERING THE WELFARE OF AN ADULT, AS WELL AS HIS OR HER CHILDREN. ANY VEHICLE ACCIDENTS THAT CAN BE BRAKE RELATED WITH THIS VEHICLE SHOULD BE PLACED AS ACCOUNTABLE AGAINST CHRYS/DODG/JEEP AS IF THEY HAD DRIVEN THE VEHICLE THEMSELVES BECAUSE THEY CAUSED IT TO BE ON THE ROAD IN ITS VERY VULNERABLE AND UNPREDICTABLE DESIGN. IT PROVIDES ALMOST IMMEDIATE DISABLING OF THE DRIVERS CONTROL AND ALWAYS WHEN THE CONDITIONS ARE AT A POINT WHERE THE NEED FOR CONTROL IS THE GREATEST. MORE TO COME ABOUT THE MOTOR.

- , Red Creek, NY, USA

Apr 242013

Journey LX

• CVT transmission

So....my wife buys this 2010 dodge journey 2 months ago. To start off with, it seemed like a really nice ride.....from the outside. But hey, you can wrap dog poop up in shiny Christmas paper and make it look nice right? So after 1 month of driving, with a total of about 30,000 km on it, 1200 of which were put on by us....at highway speeds there's this awful shudder in the steering wheel, and in the seats. Very very unsafe feeling, especially having the kids in the vehicle too. We phone the dealership who sold us the Journey, but because that dealership was a GM dealership, they said take it to Dodge. But it's ok right cuz the dealership sold us this "full wrap" extended warranty, so Dodge would take care of it....apparently.

So here is our wonderful Dodge dealership experience. To start with, it was "VARSITY DODGE" in Calgary. I put that all in capitals so that anyone who reads this steers clear of that money grubbing pervert hiring garbage sespool of bull sh*t excuse for a dealership. My wife arrived first, I was meeting her there as she was dropping the Journey off overnight. When she arrived, a salesman came out to see her right away. Obviously, good lookin lady pulls up by herself right? Well, he talked to her for a good ten minutes, the whole time staring at her crotch and her butt. THE WHOLE TIME. To the point where she felt uncomfortable and wanted to leave. Thank god I showed up, and of course he vanished like Houdini. So she told me about this and I marched right into the manager's office and flat out told him about the pervert salesman and that I would leave it in his hands from there. Otherwise I am the type of guy to put my fingers through his eye sockets and grab hold of the inside of his skull while I rip it off his shoulders. Anyways, enough about "Hungry Eyes" the salesman, who still works there.....disgusting. Their technicians have a look at the Journey, and come back with "all 4 of your rotors are warped, they need to be replaced, or machined and your warranty doesn't cover that. Oh, and that inspection we just did was $50." I'm sorry, what? So we paid the $50, took our ride and brought it to our own mechanic, who we have used for years. He pulls it apart, inspects it properly, and tells us they are slightly warped, unevenly worn, but most of all, rusted halfway through. They can't even be machined. He told us if they machined it until the rust was gone, there would be nothing left. So again, all 4 rotors DO NEED to be replaced. At 30,000 KM? WTF kind of garbage engineering is that of a FAMILY vehicle. Completely disgusted. Tomorrow is the big battle between me and the dealerships and let me tell you I am in no mood for any more bull sh*t. Somebody better pay to fix this and fix it RIGHT, or you'll see a burning Journey on the news at some dealership in Calgary. After reading about this same rotor issue being a massive problem on the Journeys, I am absolutely appalled that Chrysler has not recalled and fixed them for free. This is a FAMILY vehicle you greedy pricks! I will never ever ever buy a DODGE product EVER again!!!

- , Calgary, AB, canada