7.9

1. replace with good quality pads and rotors (44 reports)
  3. replace brakes and rotors (12 reports)
  4. Chrysler extending warranty to 36k miles (8 reports)
  5. dealer paid after calling Dodge (4 reports)
  6. resurfaced front and rear rotors (4 reports)
2010 Dodge Journey brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Dodge Journey:

2010 Dodge Journey Owner Comments (Page 1 of 5)

Oct 172014

Journey SXT 3.5L V6

I AM SO FREAKING OVER THIS ISSUE! Seriously Dodge... recall the car and fix the brakes. This is my one and only vehicle to transport my kids and I school and work. I teach high school English and take my kids to practices and dance recitals. I'm not slam shifting or drifting the car like I'm on a dirt track. There is no reason for a car to need brakes 3 times in less than 3 years. It's not the parts...it's the brake system. The horrible factory parts have been replaced 4 times over and it is still causing issues.

I can't trade the car off because I can't afford to take on a new payment. I will never buy a Dodge again. Burned your bridge with me Chrysler.

Jul 162013

Journey SXT 3.5L V6

Oh the joy.... 20K miles and here the problem comes back. Replace front and back brakes and resurface rotor. Previously replaced the rotor because it was warped.

Mar 252012

Journey SXT 3.5L V6

Less than 6 months of ownership lead me to the auto repair shop for a costly repair. Front and Back brakes and replacement on the right rear rotor. I was able to buy the parts myself and get it installed at a national repair chain.

Oct 182014

Journey SXT 3.5L V6

Took car in for service this morning. Now I'm looking at a $1200 repair. What I was hoping was a simple brake pad replacement has now become a saga. Service tech reports that the parking brake is engaged on the right side and not on the left when the regular brakes are applied.

Recommendation is to replace brake lines, rear calipers, front right rotor and pads all the way around by independent car repair center. Waiting for Dodge dealership service which will take a week to get me in. No car to drive until Dodge submits notice for warranty approval.

Total brake failure.... Slid through a stop sign and into a ditch. Luckily I felt the brakes get spongy and had enough time to at least slow it with putting the parking brake on. Not injured but scared the crap out of me. I hate this car.

Aug 012014

Journey

I bought this car with 6000 miles and the brakes should be fine for longer than this. I would like Dodge to pay for brake pads and rotors.

- , Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio, USA

Jun 182014

Journey

I have owned several cars in the past 20 years. Out of all of them, I have maybe had to have brake work done once and that was on a car that was ten years old. Our Journey is less than 3 and requires new rotors, shoes and probably calipers. Weak.

- , Port Hope, Ontario, canada

Sep 282010

Journey

Car would "shimmy" and "shutter" when applying brakes. Brought car to dealer to fix problem. Dealer fixed the problem told me that is should fix the problem. Fixed problem until it happened again.

- , Stony Brook, New York, USA

Jul 122012

Journey RT 3.2L

The brakes are continuing to have premature wear. At times the car will not start. I will have to try and try and try and try to keep turning the key on and off. Sometimes I have to sit for 30 minutes trying to start the Journey before it will start. The dealer said they cannot fix it because it did not do it while the car is in there. I would think that we are not the only ones to experience this problem.

The dealer (Kolosso) made no effort to research this problem in their records to see if there were existing cases where they could possibly help us. My wife and I are close to retirement age. I have in the past last Chrysler products for over 20 years. I told my wife I would buy one more car to carry us to retirement. My wife chose the Dodge Journey. WHAT A MISTAKE. I may end up having to sell this junk and buy something reliable.

- , Greenville, WI, USA

Aug 082014

Journey

The rotor warped going down the mountain the first time, they are way too small for the weight of the vehicle. I've had them replaced numerous times. They need to provide heavier duty rotors at no cost. Chrysler needs to fix this !

- , Banco, VA, USA

Jun 002010

Journey SXT V6

I'm starting here at the beginning... bought this car new in January of 2010 and it currently has 24,196 miles. Within the first year had to replace the rotors. Followed by two recalls..

- , Big Bear City, CA, USA

Nov 222013

Journey SXT 3.4L

This vehicle is the biggest piece of crap I have ever owned. I have 89000 kms on it and the brakes have been done 4 times already. The dealer said that the sun must have warped the rotors when my wife brought it in the first time. The second and third time i needed them fixed it was a fight to get any help from chrysler canada, the fourth time I replaced them I did them myself and saved 700 dollars. The power steering system is also garbage, The return line blew a week after my final payment and a week after that the whole power steering rack had to be changed. small pin holes in the aluminum rack. The mechanic said it must be the cold weather. Now I am missing a litre of oil between oil changes. 6000kms. This is normal apparently. Also I now have a humming sound. Not sure if its a wheel bearing or transaxle bearing. I suppose if it is covered under powertrain warranty it will probably be a wheel bearing. Oh yah good luck with the tires, I have the 19 inch rims. Big mistake. Good luck finding tires and if you do you may have to give up your left nut. All in all I must say that I am not impressed. I have owned many vehicles in my life but hands down this is the worst ever. When you buy local you think you might get decent customer service but I was wrong.

The vehicle was $30000. 4 years later I will be lucky to get $10000 for it. Bad investment.

Good luck to you if you decide to buy one.

Claymore Clamhammer

- , Sudbury, ON, Canada

Jul 152011

Journey ES3.5 3.5L

Had to replace rear pads and rotors at 22000 miles, brakes were metal to metal. then again at 45000 miles. At first I thought like everyone else inferior parts. the problem is the tabs on the pads which hold the breaks in the calipers are too tight, which cause the pads to constantly rub against rotors. not enough to notice but enough to cause premature wear out. the fix is to use a grinder or file to remove a little metal on the tabs of the new pads so they slide freely in the calipers without binding or holding too tight. I now have 56000 miles and no issues. Good thing I have been working on cars self taught for 30+ years and realized the problem because Chrysler told me the same thing they tell everyone else, out of warranty and they don't know what causes it. Well if they read my post they will have their answer.

- , Newberry, MI, USA

Jun 022014

Journey SXT 3.5L V6

This is the second time! Brake pads & rotors already replaced at under 30,000 miles.

- , Aurora, OR, USA

Sep 112012

Journey

Had the car for only two years and had to have front and back brakes replaced. Last week had the tie rod end replaced and the back brakes AGAIN.

After having the vehicle for only a couple of months I received a letter saying that the brakes may need to be replaced at 40,000 km. And of course at 41000 sure enough they had to be done. Makes you wonder what kind of parts they were using. Last car I had for 13 years, had the brakes done maybe twice.

- , Botwood, NL, Canada

Jun 152012

Journey SXT 3.5L

I was able to have front pads and rotors and rear pads and rotors replaced under warranty at 17k. At 30k, same issue again. I upgrade the rotor with aftermarket rotors and good quality pads and so far so good.

- , Georgetown, KY, USA

Nov 112013

Journey SXT

Today I brought in my Journey for a maintenance check up to Windsor Chrylser. After being shuttled home I received a call with from the dealer and was told that the brakes and rotors both front and back need replacing. I asked for a quote and was told that the back brakes are Metal-on-metal and the fronts have only 1/3" left. I asked to verify why this hadn't been addressed when the brakes were recaliperd lat year? I asked how the brakes could have gone from good to Metal-on-metal with only 20,000 km and having not pulled anything with the vehicle? The service person said he'd speak to the manage and called me back only tell me that the price is the price and they would do nothing to assist AS THEY WERE ONLY WARRANTIED FOR 1 YEAR. I had bough extended Warranty. I haven;t decided what action other that report this complaint and I will be calling DODGE to express my complaint as well.

Part 2 Brake Vibration: "I had told the Chrysler dealer of the issue of brake vibration on a routine maintenance inspection. I had heard of a recall of 2009 brakes from a friend in the U.S. who had his replaced. I was told it was not an issue on the 2010 brakes. When I got the vehicle back I was told it was just a caliper issue and they were reset. I was told that the breaks were fine now, and the vibration had stopped.

In May of 2010 I brought the vehicle in for a maintenance inspection and was told that there was some wear on the front brakes. I should consider changing the pads. on the next maintenance inspection. I asked about a recall and was told there were none in the system for this vehicle, and it was not covered. I was quoted $365.00 plus labor and tax. At no time was there mention of the back brakes."

- , Windsor, ON, canada

Oct 162013

Journey 3.3L

LIKE MOST OTHER COMPLAINANTS FRONT BRAKES AND ROTORS WERE REPLACED BY DEALERSHIP AT LESS THAN 20000 KM UNDER WARRANTY. NOW THE REARS NEED TO BE REPLACED AT JUST OVER 50000 KM.

ANSWER TO BOTH PROBLEM DON'T USE DODGE/CHRYSLER DEALERSHIPS FOR REPAIR. THEY ONLY INSTALL THE SAME GARBAGE THAT IS ALREADY INSTALLED WHEN VEHICLE IS PUT TOGETHER. GET GOOD QUALITY AFTERMARKET PARTS

- , Hamilton, Ontario, Canada

Sep 182013

Journey

Roy's Dodge in Grand Island, NE would not cover the cost of the premature break and rotor problem on my car. I had told them I was aware of the issues they have been having and all of the complaints, however it got me nowhere. I contacted Dodge and spoke with a VERY friendly lady who recognized this was a problem with this model and year. She contacted the dealership and asked them to work with my on taking care of some of the repair costs due to only having 33,700 miles on the vehicle and this being an issue. They refused to do anything to help with the cost. I was forced to pay to replace the brakes and rotors totally out of pocket! After doing more research and speaking to other Journey owners I guess I should be prepared to do this all over again in 7000-9000 more miles. Dodge needs to make a recall and make the situation right with their customers who spent A LOT of money on their product!!!

- , Grand Island, NE, USA

Aug 272013

Journey SXT 3.6L

Front brakes wore out at 23000 miles but Dodge/Chrysler repaired them. Then rear brakes completely worn out at 27200 miles.

Rear breaks on most vehicles last 60 to 80 thousand miles in all wheel disc brake systems. Non-functional actuators caused the problem. Dodge/Chrysler said too bad and would not help pay for work or parts. Had my mechanic purchase all new parts and installed them. He is a Chrysler/Dodge tech who was laid off from the dealership where I bought my car due to the new service manager wanting to hire his friend who was unemployed. They have all lost my business now.

Update from Sep 9, 2013: Dodge/Chrysler extended warranty for faulty brakes on new Journey to 36000 miles or three years does not help people that ony drive 6000 to 7000 miles a year. We are out the money for repairs because Dodge/Chrysler will not help with the issue that is thier design flaw or faulty parts to start with.

- , Batavia, Illinos, USA

May 212012

Journey

2010 dodge Journey with 33k miles, brakes and rotors replaced twice. Now that we are having a severe shimmy problem when applying brakes, dealer is saying that it may be the tires. This is the second set of tires we have put on the vehicle.

I have a Jeep product with the same amount of miles and the brakes are fine.

There is no way that we should have to put brakes and rotors on a vehicle every 15K miles. Braking is very poor due to the shimmy. I almost rear ended a vehicle last night because of the poor braking.

This needs to be recalled and repaired.

- , Montgomery, NY, USA