CarComplaints.com Notes: I hope I can stop you from buying this vehicle before you find out that it won't be able to stop you.

7.8

1. replace with good quality pads and rotors (47 reports)
  2. replace brakes and rotors (21 reports)
  4. Chrysler extending warranty to 36k miles (8 reports)
  5. Dodge did not pay a penny! (5 reports)
  6. recall brake system (5 reports)
2010 Dodge Journey brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Dodge Journey:

2010 Dodge Journey Owner Comments (Page 1 of 6)

Dec 132014

Journey SXT V6

I've had to replace these rotors and brakes so many times !!!!

- , Aliquippa, PA, USA

Jun 122015

Journey SXT V6

I have fixed these brakes and rotors 4 times I do not feel safe driving this car! It feels every 10000 miles I'm changing brakes and rotors!

- , Aliquippa, PA, USA

Dec 012014

Journey SXT V8

I only had the Journey for two years, and in the first winter I found out how well f*king quick that the Journeys brakes don't perform so well on ice and snow. The brakes are too small for the vehicle and you have to pump the sht out of your brakes to get it to stop. That is dangerous as hell and can result in a collision, and even injury and death. They should have recalled the f**king Journeys back by now, but no, they want us to pay for new brake and rotors out of pocket. It's in all 2009 and 2010 Journeys, they have brake issues and the only way to fix the issue is buy third party slotted rotors with ceramic pads.

- , West Salem, WI, USA

Aug 112011

Journey SXT 3.2L

I have had the same problems as most owners of 2009 and 2010 Journey brake system. There is a KNOWN problem that Chrysler failed at their first attempt of a cross-over vehicle. They have admitted to putting insufficient braking systems on these vehicles, yet refuse to fix the problem - stating it's "normal wear and tear". Having to put THREE sets of brake pads AND ROTORS on a vehicle in 5 years (under 60,000 miles) is NOT NORMAL WEAR AND TEAR.

- , King Of Prussia, PA, USA

Nov 112015

Journey SXT 3.2L V6

I took my car in to Dodge within the first year due to a latter I got from Dodge. When I took it in the dealer "grinded" the rotors and when I asked about the replacing it they said that Dodge told them that they only needed to grind them not replace them and that they were not recalled. I have had my car 5 years and have replaced the brakes twice I have less than 50,000 miles on the car...

- , Gardne City, MI, USA

Sep 152015

Journey

I have to change brakes and rotors every stinking year ever since I purchased it. My wife is a slow driver and non aggressive...junk

- , Norwich, NY, USA

Feb 202015

Journey

I bought my 2010 Dodge Journey new after an accident totaled out my previous vehicle. I am a single mom with one vehicle for our family of 4 and thought this would be a good safe vehicle for my family. Quite the opposite! I have spent so much money on this car for repairs, have had 2 recall issues (one of which left me and one of my daughters stranded on the side of the road at night), and have also had to replace the brakes, rotor, caliper, more times than I can remember. The last time was in Feb. and now my car has already recently started shaking again when I apply the brakes. I have only driven about 9,000 miles since replaced last. There has to be a design issue with this vehicle that is causing the brakes to go bad so quickly.

- , Evans, GA, USA

Apr 062015

Journey

Since I purchased this vehicle in 2010, I have had to change the brakes at least 4 or 5 times, that is unheard of! Its either the front or the back every 10,000 miles. I have had other vehicles and only have changed rear brakes maybe once in its lifetime.

- , Temecula, CA, USA

Apr 012011

Journey LX 2.4L

Never expected the brakes to be faulty. The rotors in front were warped. The left front. Paperwork says rotors resurfaced. That never happened. I was told I needed front end aligned. Got another opinion from out of state and was told the rotor was warped which was the cause of the shaking when brakes were applied. I will never purchase a Dodge ever.

- , Mobile, AL, USA

Jun 082015

Journey

I just had my rear brake pads replaced 3 months ago and the rear passenger side brake pad has worn down almost completely but only on the inside of the brake pad.

- , Brooklyn, OH, USA

Jan 132015

Journey R/T 3.5L

I have a 10 Dodge Journey, I am also a ASE certified Mechanic. My wife drives this thing easy. No matter what brand of rotors or pads I use the problem comes back.. The problem I see is, the brakes are not up to par, basically to small for this vehicle.. The rotors should have been at least 1 to 1.5 inches larger in Diameter.

Update from Jul 30, 2015: I Have fixed the problem with the pre-mature wearing brakes and warped rotors.. I upgraded my 2010 journey to 2014 disc brakes, calipers and rotors.. These new rotors are 13 in in dia.. It also went from a single piston caliper to a dual piston calipers.. easy to do..

- , Cottage Hills, IL, USA

May 222015

Journey RT 3.5L

Car purchased in Sept 2010. In March 2011 received letter from Chrysler on extended 3 and 36000 warranty due to abnormal wear. In Aug 2013 (MILEAGE 25851) Dealer replaced pads and rotors under warranty. Oct 2013 (mileage 28170) same issue developed in rear brakes. Rear rotors were resurfaced at my expense ($216), pads not replaced. May 22, 2015 (mileage 37727) Car again developed front end shake due to uneven wear of rotors. Pads replaced and rotors were cut at my expense ($300).

I have owned Chrysler products since 1970 and I have never experienced such brake wear or rotor issues in any car I have owned. This vehicle is used around town, at low speeds in an area without any hills.

- , Sebastian, USA

May 082015

Journey Sports Utility 3.5L

• 8,600,000 miles

Overall my truck is great. The only problem I have is the premature brakes and rotor issue which is extremely unsafe and costly.

Update from Jun 4, 2015: O.k here we go again, 5 months ago I had to replace my rotors ,calipers and pads. Now they say I need to replace the same 3 things again and of course I'm concerned about safety 1st, I only have 1 mode of transportation. The mechanic stated the it's definitely a manufacture issue having to do with the quality of the brakes they're using .This is horrible at best we're talking about $ 500.00 at best. This is ridiculous ! And Dodge refuse to acknowledge the problem or even respond to my concerns.

Help !

- , Forest Park, GA, USA

Feb 102015

Journey SE 2.4L

Set #5, I almost got 20000 miles on one set of brakes, that would have been a record.

Aug 032013

Journey SE 2.4L

48000 miles and now on my fourth set of brakes, This time I had the front brakes done as well.

Oct 012012

Journey SE 2.4L

Replaced brakes again, now on to the third set of brakes

Oct 012011

Worn Rear brakes 18000 miles. Not Covered under warranty

Dec 102014

Journey SXT 3.5L V6 Sohc 24v

Had new brakes and rotor installed Sept. Now told have 40% left on brakes. ARE YOU KIDDING ME??? Yes, high quality was used.

- , Raytown, MO, USA

Oct 172014

Journey SXT 3.5L V6

I AM SO FREAKING OVER THIS ISSUE! Seriously Dodge... recall the car and fix the brakes. This is my one and only vehicle to transport my kids and I school and work. I teach high school English and take my kids to practices and dance recitals. I'm not slam shifting or drifting the car like I'm on a dirt track. There is no reason for a car to need brakes 3 times in less than 3 years. It's not the parts...it's the brake system. The horrible factory parts have been replaced 4 times over and it is still causing issues.

I can't trade the car off because I can't afford to take on a new payment. I will never buy a Dodge again. Burned your bridge with me Chrysler.

- , Burkburnett, TX, USA

Jul 162013

Journey SXT 3.5L V6

Oh the joy.... 20K miles and here the problem comes back. Replace front and back brakes and resurface rotor. Previously replaced the rotor because it was warped.

- , Burkburnett, TX, USA