Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: I hope I can stop you from buying this vehicle before you find out that it won't be able to stop you.

2010 Dodge Journey electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Dodge Journey:

2010 Dodge Journey Owner Comments (Page 14 of 17)

Jun 032014

Stopped at store for a few minutes to pick some things up. Upon getting back in the car, it would not crank nor start. After a few minutes, it started up like nothing had happened. Issue has occurred again about a week and a half after the first occurrence. This is a walk-home condition that needs to be addressed. Issue is similar to numerous other complaints filed with NHTSA, as well as posted online.

- Roseville, MI, USA

May 122014

Journey 6-cyl

Dodge Journey 2010 - out of the blue begins honking -can honk just once or a series of stutter honks followed by a long blast, then beeps or series of beeps. It is not the alarm, it happens when car is in park with no one and nothing in the car or as you are driving down the street, with hands on the rim of the steering wheel. Fellow drivers are not amused and use middle fingers salute. Unlocking the car does nothing, turning on the ignition does not stop the honking, remote starting does not stop the honking, starting and putting in gear doesn't stop the horn when it is honking, using the panic button and then resetting it does not stop the honking but, one can not make it happen, there is no specific trigger to replicate the difficulty. Happens in full sun, warm but parked in shade, warm but driving down the street, braking has no effect, happens at night cool, at night rainy, at night humid in park ignition off, ignition on (still parked) and ignition on, in gear and moving. Did I mention 60 days out of warranty.

- Alexandria, VA, USA

Apr 302014

The contact owns a 2010 Dodge Journey. The contact stated that while the vehicle parked, the windshield wipers and door locks activated independently. The contact stated that there was a leak by the front driver's side tire and suddenly, the vehicle burst into flames. A police report was filed and there were no injures reported. The vehicle was towed to an impound lot. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The vehicle was destroyed. The approximate failure and current mileage was 60,000. The VIN was not available. Updated 7/16/14

- Bar Harbor, ME, USA

Apr 092014

Journey 6-cyl

While driving the car at relatively slow speed, the instrument panel seemed to "reset" and all the gauges temporarily went off and came back on. It hasn't done it again, but after reviewing other complaints, it appears this is happening more often as these model years begin to age.

- Apo, AE, USA

May 012014

2010 Dodge Journey. Consumer writes in regards to ignition switch issues. The consumer stated on 3 occasions, within the last 3 years, the ignition turned off and all the electrical functions stopped functioning, even though the engine continued. He went to the dealer the next day, after the first occurrence, but the problem could not be duplicated. The consumer was informed, not put additional keys on his key ring.

- Cocoa Beach, FL, USA

Mar 242014

Journey 6-cyl

While driving down the road at highway speed. The vehicle shut off. First time thought it was a fluke. But has since gotten progressively worse. To the point where it getting to be unpredictable and unsafe to all in the vehicle or on the road. Seen other styles of this same vehicle have recalls for same type of issues. Called Chrysler Corp for variation. Found out my vehicle was made in time frame of others in that period. But is not included. Believe this needs to be looked into more. Before something terrible happens to my family or I.

- Union, IA, USA

May 012013

Journey 6-cyl

The car alarm will go off sporadically, not honking consistently. It has gone off while driving the car as well! the key fob won't turn it off so I would go pull out the horn fuses under the hood. The alarm will still go off without the horn fuses. It is obvious because the lights will flicker, as if the alarm is going off, and a clicking noise of the alarm being activated is heard. Don't know what to do and it is annoying having to drive around without my horn working! when the alarm goes off, we are not accidentally pressing the key fob buttons. Again, when the horn honks during alarm activation, it is a sporadic honking likes the car is possessed, rather than a consistent honk. Please help!

- Fort Worth, TX, USA

Oct 072012

Journey 4-cyl

I bought this vehicle in 2010. I have now had 5 times where the vehicle will not start. I will be running errands and then get in the vehicle to start it and all it does is click. I've tried to jump it but it will not work. If you wait 3-4 hours it most likely will start. During several of these times, I've had my kids with me. The car needed to be towed and by the time the service men will start it, it starts right up. They did switch out my keys a few times, but it just happened again this weekend. I was stranded in a different city with no ride. The dealership / service repair man has no idea what the cause is. You don't know when this is gong to happen. This vehicle is not reliable and it is unsafe. If you look online and search this problem with this vehicle you will find 100's of complaints.

- Homewood, IL, USA

Dec 262013

The contact owns a 2010 Dodge Journey. The contact stated that while driving 25 mph, the engine stalled without warning. The contact was able to restart the vehicle, which was taken to the dealer for inspection but they were unable to determine the cause of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 90,000.

- Star City, AR, USA

Feb 152014

Journey 4-cyl

The vehicle would not start after sitting for a few hours. We had driven the vehicle all day. We have had this issue before but when using the backup key. Thought maybe this was the issue it was not. I used the keys my wife uses every day. This is becoming a big issue now. When it was intermittent and would start it was ok but it is becoming more frequent. We live in a rural area and my wife drives 40 minutes to work every day. If this issue happens when she is at work there will be nothing we can do about it. I am paying alot of money for this vehicle and need Chrysler to figure out what this problem is and issue a recall as I can see that I am not the only one with this issue. It is gonna end up costing me alot of money I don't have. I will be honest if they cant fix the issue I will not be able to pay for towing and will not be able to make the payments if this issue is not resolved and I have to pay to have it looked at. I have an extended warranty on the vehicle which is up in 3000 miles. At 200 miles back and forth to work and running 2 teenage kids around that will not be long, Chrysler needs to figure out this issue now before someone gets killed. Where my wife works is not the best part of town and it is all expressway driving at high speeds. If this issue turns into the stalling on the highway she could easily be killed in rush hour driving. I am not the only one with this problem. Fyi had the brakes done too. Funny since it is all highway driving.

- Leroy, NY, USA

Feb 012012

The contact owns a 2010 Dodge Journey. The contact stated that the ignition key failed to start. The engine also vibrated at initial start-up and the check engine warning light remained illuminated. The dealer replaced the engine key however the failure was not corrected. The vehicle was taken back to the dealer for further inspection. The VIN was not available. The failure mileage was 46,000 and the current mileage was 75,000.

- Racho Cordova, CA, USA

May 172013

I have also been dealing with this same issue for the past 6-8 months and based on other complaints I have read I am not the only one.. the electrical randomly goes out while driving. Sometimes it will come back on its own but most of the time I have to pull over to turn car off and restart. Windows, blinkers, ac, radio, wipers, hazards, and exterior brake lights, etc go out. (I do not lose control of driving but fear that is what is next, based on other people's complaints of similar issues). The dealership cant find the problem, couldn't replicate issue (had turned off car despite my telling them it works after restarted), and told me to bring it back next time happens so they can see (as if they didn't believe me)..I have bought back again. Only have approximately 3,000 miles left on the extended warranty- seems they are waiting warranty out. This is a possible dangerous situation that can claim lives, if someone doesn't see me braking, trying to turn, wipers wouldn't work during a rain downpour once.. Dodge needs to address this as a whole!!

- New Orleans, LA, USA

Aug 132013

Vehicle would not crank out of blue waited few days after being towed to dealer was told no problems w car no codes then car began to crank...week later will not crank. Then as driving the car all power cuts off no lights no radio no heat no wipers nothing hour later at a speed of 35 miles an hour car shuts down engine and all. Took again to a dealer who put on mobile web pod thing and was told car was reading no error codes but obv a major problem. Dodge not willing to pay and car says no recalls yet car cuts off while in gears and sometimes wont crank at all and dealer cannot diagnose to fix problem.

- Russell Springs , KY, USA

Oct 252013

Journey 4-cyl

I was struck on the left front by a 1997 Dodge stratus occupied by 5 teenage boys. The damage was bumper and left fender (insurance estimate about $3,000. But the battery was placed on top of the engine by the manufacturer. The battery was the original battery installed on car. No engine repair had been done on the vehicle. The battery exploded and the engine was covered by battery acid which destroyed all the wiring in the engine. Battery acid also went down the driver's side of the car destroying paint and eating into metal. Two adjusters examined the car as the insurance was amazed at amount of destruction. They each stopped at $11,000 damage and totaled the car. I was told that had any glass been broken and I got battery acid on my body, the damage would have been severe. A mechanic at the scene said the battery placement was very dangerous as was said by insurance adjusters and repair service where the car was towed. I called the dealership and Dodge itself and reported the problem. They both said they never had heard of any problem. I walked away unhurt but could have driven the car for the rest of my life (I'm 73) had the battery been placed in a different spot in the engine. I believe this battery placement to be very dangerous and am concerned for others who might have an accident in a car like mine.

- Garland, TX, USA

Sep 232013

Journey 6-cyl

I don't even know where to start with this car. I bought this car and have had nothing but problems. The latest issue aside from the constant brakes it the electrical. Since I bought the car sometimes it doesn't start, the dash lights come on and off and power drops and comes back on in the car. Thank god it has not turned off in traffic. There has been a noise from the wheels forever and now its getting louder. I wish that Dodge would fix these issues!! all electrical should be check immediately in these cars because as I read others issues it is very dangerous and it seems they are waiting for reports of accidents and death before taking any action. This is ridiculous!!!

- Greenacres, FL, USA

Aug 292013

Tried starting my 2010 Dodge Journey after work one evening and it wouldn't start. Got a boost to my battery and it didn't work, the vehicle stalled 3 times in one day. After looking on line I saw numerous people has the same issue. Came across the solenoid crank starter fuse replaced, and to my surprise the issue was fixed until a week. At the apple orchard with a car full of people and my car wouldn't start! finally got my car to an auto parts store, and thought possibly I had a bad sensor and got that replaced. My car is still having the same issue, and it starts right away in the a.M. everyday for a week in the mornings it starts but stalled after I picked my son up from school and was stuck there for two hours! I don't know what to do, I googled the problem and its sad how many people are dealing with the same problem. And I thought I was getting a good reliable car for my family.. I purchased this vehicle February 2013, someone please help.

- Wayne, MI, USA

Jun 252013

Journey 6-cyl

2010 Dodge Journey. Consumer writes in regards to vehicle burst into flames while driving and consumer seeks financial compensation. The consumer stated no one has been able to determine, the cause of the fire.

- Florissant, MO, USA

May 212013

Everything first started about 4 months after purchase with the sensor lights randomly coming on while I was driving. I have replaced brakes and rotors 4 times. But the problems within the last 4 months have been the worst. My car will not start all the time very unreliable. I have had to replace the starter twice the battery two starter modules and the ignition and still doesn't work. As soon as it's possible I will get rid of this car and never again as long as I live will never purchase another Chrysler product. They are junk!!!!

- Ebensburg, PA, USA

Jul 012013

Journey 4-cyl

Problem with car notstarting. Car would not start all of the vehicle had power but would not start. Tow truck driver checked to see if he could start but could not. While standing out side the car it started by itself. Took to dealer and they can not repeat problem. Notice on line there are many complaints about this happening. I really think somebody should takecare of this. This cost us money for us to look like fools.

- Syracuse, NY, USA

Mar 152013

The contact owns a 2010 Dodge Journey. The contact stated that the anti-theft alarm would activate independently. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnosis where it was stated that the alarm tipper needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired but the problem persisted. The manufacturer was notified. The VIN was not available. The approximate failure mileage was 59,000.

- Coats, NC, USA