CarComplaints.com Notes: I hope I can stop you from buying this vehicle before you find out that it won't be able to stop you.

2010 Dodge Journey electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Dodge Journey:

2010 Dodge Journey Owner Comments (Page 14 of 17)

Journey

Have had all kind of "sensor" problems horn blows at all times have taken to shop 4 times all brake sensor lights came on back in may also bob pforte Dodge in marianna, fl. 32446 can not seem to be able to fix put on one sensor to see if that would stop horn from blowing did not and then my cruise control knob fell off from where they put in sensor took back put on another sensor did not fix took back and they had failed to reprogram after putting on that sensor jeff the service manager told me when I called back about it that they would compensate if this did not fix last week horn started blowing again!!!! 7/22/14 took back today and they are having to keep it overnight lady called me asking if the key fob was the one I had been using I told her that when this first started I started using my spare because I thought maybe the other one was going out we have to pull the fuses every time to keep the horn from seranading the community horn blows while in the yard while not running, while running and driving it may go beep beep beep or sound off for hours I want something done hope someone will tell bob pforte how to fix this!!!!!!!!!!!!!

- Bascom, FL, USA

May 282014

Journey 6-cyl

Driving at 15 mph all of a sudden panel lights turned off, speed and RPM indicators turned off, air conditioner off, power windows would not work. Turn signals, headlamps and brake lamps did not work. Engine was still on so I pulled to the side and restarted the car a few times until all power was restored.

- Fontana, CA, USA

Mar 152014

Journey 6-cyl

Like most of the people posting, I have also experienced the same issues. My Journey will often times not start on the first, second, third or fourth try. At times it takes 1 minute to start, at other times it takes an hour or more. Additionally, I have experienced the very concerning random honking. It happens when the car is turned off, driving down the road or just stopped at a red light. The honks can last anywhere from 1 second to minutes worth of intermittent beeps. This is by far and away the absolute worst car I have ever purchased.

- Saginaw, TX, USA

Journey 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2010 Dodge Journey. The contact stated that after inserting the key in the ignition, the vehicle failed to start. The problem recurred multiple times. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The technician diagnose that the win module needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired but the failure recurred. The vehicle was taken back to the dealer, where it was diagnosed that the totally integrated power module needed to be replaced. The remedy failed to repair the problem. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 75,207. Updated 9/8/14 the consumer requested reimbursement for parts and labor. Updated 1/13/2015

- Newark, IL, USA

Dec 312013

Journey 6-cyl

Since December while driving the vehicle all of a sudden the radio, blinkers and front/back and head lights turn off. I literally have to pull the vehicle over and turn the car off and re-start the engine till it happens again and have to do the samething. I took it to the dealership where we just purchased the vehicle two weeks prior and they stated it was only a fuse. It constantly still happens which is a serious safety issue especially with children in the vehicle. It also takes sometimes 3-5 tries to start the car.

- Camarillo, CA, USA

Feb 072012

Journey 6-cyl

I am the second owner of a 2010 Dodge Journey (bought in 2011). The original owners traded it in after not owning it a year. I was not told that it was already having problems until I met one of the mechanics at the Dodge dealership when I brought it in for ignition problems. He told me that he knew I would be back. The ignition recall has been completed twice on my vehicle. I still have the not starting issue that I have seen in other complaints. I am also experiencing the electrical problems that I am reading about here. No power to the dash, windshield wipers, or windows. This just isn't a safe situation. I have had a computer module replaced, but that didn't correct the problem. The dealership can never find the problem. Now I am out of warranty (80,000) and the problem is still happening and getting worse. My car has stopped while going down the road twice. Luckily I was able to pull off and restart. Something needs to be done about these problems. I have not notified Dodge directly, but have been to my Dodge dealership several times with the same complaints. Nothing seems to get fixed.

- Minden, LA, USA

Jun 282013

Journey 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2010 Dodge Journey. The contact stated while attempting to accelerate from an idle position the vehicle suddenly stalled. The vehicle could not be restarted until approximately two hours later. The contact indicated that the failure occurred multiple times. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who was unable to diagnose the failure. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 49,000. Updated 8/19/14 the consumer stated the ignition snapped out of position when the vehicle was running, and the vehicle would not re-start. The electrical system was checked four times. Updated 09/16/14

- Plymoth, MI, USA

May 102011

Journey

There are times when the ignition would just click, when attempting to start the car. I have to remove the key multiple times and try to start it, till it starts. I would be driving and all the electrical components in the vehicle would just go dead. (all electronics in dash board, air conditioning, radio). I would have to pull over, turn the ignition off and restart the car. I am still experiencing this problem. I replaced the key, thinking it was the problem and I continue to have this problem. I have had to replace the tires on this car/truck 4 times at an average of 30 thousand miles. I had the rotation and balances as recommended. The tires wore uneven to the point where the wires were exposed on the inside of the wheels. Based on the dealers I have not needed a front end alignment. I have also had the brakes replaced on this vehicle three times in the front and twice in the rear. The vehicle has 115, 000 miles and I have never had to replace part on a car like I have had to do with this one.

- Lancaster , TX, USA

Aug 012011

Journey 6-cyl

After having the vehicle for less than a year it began to not start at times. Everything comes on in the car, when key turned it makes a clicking sound but does not start. It will not start using the keyless start or by jump starting it. Car was taken into dealer and a recall was found on the ignition which was corrected. However the vehicle still does this intermittently and has for the last 3 years. It can go months without doing it. However has recently been doing this daily. It is very frustrating and can sometimes vary between minutes and hours of starting. Once it starts there are not any additional electrical problems. This makes the car very unreliable and unsafe as it could occur in a situation of needing to leave an area quickly or in an emergency situation. I am a single mom and have only one vehicle. If called into work while "on call" status I have only 30 minutes to arrive. Which is a frustrating and a worry some situation when the car will not start immediately. I cannot be without my car while the dealer tries several things to fix it nor can I afford to try various problem fixes when obviously with the numerous complaints there is an internal problem which should constitute a recall. I am still paying on this vehicle and owe over $12,000 which creates additional frustration as the vehicle is unreliable and creating unsafe situations.

- Clovis, CA, USA

May 192014

Journey 6-cyl

While sitting in traffic my car cut off and wouldn't start up again I just recently took my car to pep boys auto and the diagnostic test prove that the ignition switch is stuck in park which caused the starter to go out as well.

- Broadview, IL, USA

May 122014

Journey

The ignition switch in the car gets "loose" over time. This causes the key to move to a different postion, when this happens all electrical goes out or goes on/off in rapid succession. I can jiggle the key and can get the electrical to work again. At best, this is very distracting and I take my eyes off the road. At worst I have lost electrical components such as the cruise control while driving the dealer has replaced the part 2 times. Note - nancy nelms is the owner of record and this complaint is on file with Chrysler.

- Rochester, MI, USA

Jun 232013

Journey

The contact owns a 2010 Dodge Journey. The contact stated that while driving various speeds, the power steering failed and all the instrument panel indicators illuminated. The dealer could not diagnose the cause of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired and the manufacturer was notified. The failure mileage was 78,103.

- Talleahassee, FL, USA

Jun 142014

Journey

For the past several months the car will simply turn off while we are driving it. So far we've been able to get the car over to the side of the road to re-start it. I noticed there is a recall regarding this problem, but it seems our vehicle isn't included in the recall. I've taken it to two dealerships, but they cannot locate the source of the trouble. I've contacted Dodge directly and have been told, again, that our vehicle isn't included in the recall, and that we can't expect the dealership to repair a problem that they can't find the source of. But this problem isn't new and has been identified in the past - why don't they know the source of the problem? this is our family vehicle and we are concerned about the safety of the car - especially considering the latest news coverage of a similar problem in another brand of automobile.

- Rock Island, IL, USA

Jun 032014

Journey

Stopped at store for a few minutes to pick some things up. Upon getting back in the car, it would not crank nor start. After a few minutes, it started up like nothing had happened. Issue has occurred again about a week and a half after the first occurrence. This is a walk-home condition that needs to be addressed. Issue is similar to numerous other complaints filed with NHTSA, as well as posted online.

- Roseville, MI, USA

May 122014

Journey 6-cyl

Dodge Journey 2010 - out of the blue begins honking -can honk just once or a series of stutter honks followed by a long blast, then beeps or series of beeps. It is not the alarm, it happens when car is in park with no one and nothing in the car or as you are driving down the street, with hands on the rim of the steering wheel. Fellow drivers are not amused and use middle fingers salute. Unlocking the car does nothing, turning on the ignition does not stop the honking, remote starting does not stop the honking, starting and putting in gear doesn't stop the horn when it is honking, using the panic button and then resetting it does not stop the honking but, one can not make it happen, there is no specific trigger to replicate the difficulty. Happens in full sun, warm but parked in shade, warm but driving down the street, braking has no effect, happens at night cool, at night rainy, at night humid in park ignition off, ignition on (still parked) and ignition on, in gear and moving. Did I mention 60 days out of warranty.

- Alexandria, VA, USA

Apr 302014

Journey

The contact owns a 2010 Dodge Journey. The contact stated that while the vehicle parked, the windshield wipers and door locks activated independently. The contact stated that there was a leak by the front driver's side tire and suddenly, the vehicle burst into flames. A police report was filed and there were no injures reported. The vehicle was towed to an impound lot. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The vehicle was destroyed. The approximate failure and current mileage was 60,000. The VIN was not available. Updated 7/16/14

- Bar Harbor, ME, USA

Apr 092014

Journey 6-cyl

While driving the car at relatively slow speed, the instrument panel seemed to "reset" and all the gauges temporarily went off and came back on. It hasn't done it again, but after reviewing other complaints, it appears this is happening more often as these model years begin to age.

- Apo, AE, USA

Journey

2010 Dodge Journey. Consumer writes in regards to ignition switch issues. The consumer stated on 3 occasions, within the last 3 years, the ignition turned off and all the electrical functions stopped functioning, even though the engine continued. He went to the dealer the next day, after the first occurrence, but the problem could not be duplicated. The consumer was informed, not put additional keys on his key ring.

- Cocoa Beach, FL, USA

Mar 242014

Journey 6-cyl

While driving down the road at highway speed. The vehicle shut off. First time thought it was a fluke. But has since gotten progressively worse. To the point where it getting to be unpredictable and unsafe to all in the vehicle or on the road. Seen other styles of this same vehicle have recalls for same type of issues. Called Chrysler Corp for variation. Found out my vehicle was made in time frame of others in that period. But is not included. Believe this needs to be looked into more. Before something terrible happens to my family or I.

- Union, IA, USA

May 012013

Journey 6-cyl

The car alarm will go off sporadically, not honking consistently. It has gone off while driving the car as well! the key fob won't turn it off so I would go pull out the horn fuses under the hood. The alarm will still go off without the horn fuses. It is obvious because the lights will flicker, as if the alarm is going off, and a clicking noise of the alarm being activated is heard. Don't know what to do and it is annoying having to drive around without my horn working! when the alarm goes off, we are not accidentally pressing the key fob buttons. Again, when the horn honks during alarm activation, it is a sporadic honking likes the car is possessed, rather than a consistent honk. Please help!

- Fort Worth, TX, USA