Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: I hope I can stop you from buying this vehicle before you find out that it won't be able to stop you.

2010 Dodge Journey electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Dodge Journey:

2010 Dodge Journey Owner Comments (Page 15 of 17)

Jul 092012

Vehicle after owning for less than a year would not start when turn key. Took to dealership and they stated they couldn't duplicate problem but found flashes in computer and flashed PCM. 18 days later same problem still going on took back to dealer stated that there was a bad cell in battery so they replaced. 3 months later same issue had been still going on took back stated that range sensor needed to be replaced. Replaced stated no problems at this time dealer stated if problem happens again bring back. Vehicle still doesn't start has been happening 3-4 times a week since Oct 2012, taken vehicle back to dealer on 6/22/13 on top of horrible customer service they state problem cant be duplicated. Have contacted Chrysler as well have initiated numerous cases with them. Yet still no recall and state it is a sensor again. This is ridiculous and Chrysler needs to resolve this problem.

- Columbus, GA, USA

Sep 052012

Journey 4-cyl

Intermittent starting problems, nothing when you turn the key; battery and starter good. If you leave key in the start position and walk away car will end up starting on its own. Have gotten stuck 3 times with the car, do not turn it off when I go to the store. At first it happened once after owning it for a year, then 2 months later now almost 3 times a week. Dodge has no answers why should I pay to have it looked at when there are many complaints on the web about this exact issue. What is being done?

- Monroe, NY, USA

May 212013

We have had several instances where our 2010 Dodge Journey has failed to start. You put the key in the ignition and everything works fine except that the starter never cranks over. I have done a lot of searching to see if other people have had the same problem. A quick google search returns several accounts of Journeys not starting. Most of these complaints remain unsolved. There seems to be a problem either with wiring or win modules. We have not taken our vehicle to the dealer yet however today was the 10th time that this problem has arisen in less than three weeks, often leaving us stranded completely for hours.

- Holcomb, KS, USA

May 062013

Low air came on then found out the tire pressure monitoring system sensor nut was cracked on right rear wheel and the valve stem cracked on left rear wheel. Called two Dodge dealers and I was told I would have replace the entire sensor at a cost of $130 each, and they are replacing them with a new sensor with a rubber valve for the same reason I'm having. They told me the aluminum parts(stem and nut) are corroding fast causing breakage or cracks. My vehicle is out of warranty with just over 33K miles but more than 36 months. The car was driven at a low speed when the light came on and I think it would be very dangerous to drive the car, especially if at highway speed, and those parts fail which would cause the sensor to possibly come off and then cause a blow out to the point the car may loose control. This is a family car and it is risky to have this problem. This problem should be a recall. Schrader, the sensor manufacturer, does have replacement sensors with rubber valves at less than $50 retail.

- Manteno, IL, USA

Apr 042013

Journey 6-cyl

Several times within the past 1 1/2 months my car has shut off while driving. I have been able to restart it with no problem. Most times I am driving in a parking lot after the vehicle had been sitting awhile. This last time I had driven it several miles before it shut off. I was going over railroad tracks when it happened then had to make a turn with no steering and pull off the side of the road into the grass because there were vehicles behind me. The dealership says since they are not getting an error code they can't really do anything. They tell me to come back when the problem becomes more frequent and they will try to get a code then. All the research I have done says there has been a recall on this model for the same issue however my VIN number does not fall within the range of those that have been recalled. The article says it is the win module.

- Kannapolis, NC, USA

Mar 202013

Our 2010 Dodge Journey has a key issue. It started a few months ago, but would always work after a few tries. When you put the key in and turn it, it says, "bad key." Sometimes you could flip the key around and it would work. Today it wouldn't work at all. Now I have to have my car towed to the dealership and pay for a new key. There seems to be an ongoing issue with a lot of people and this vehicle when it comes to key issues.

- Bellville, IL, USA

Feb 202013

Journey 6-cyl

Twice today, my 2010 Dodge Journey shut off after making a right hand turn. The vehicle stopped accelerating and became difficult to turn. Luckily, I wasn't in busy traffic and no one was turning behind me. Otherwise, my kids and myself could have been seriously injured from an accident. I checked on-line to see if anyone else experienced the same problem and found numerous complaints about similar issues. I called Chrysler and they told me that my vehicle didn't qualify for any recalls of that nature. What if I was traveling on the highway with a semi-truck behind me?

- Hoffman Estates, IL, USA

Feb 152012

Started in Feb of 2012 had problems starting the car Dodge deal check it said there was no problem found said ok summer came car work now Feb again car taking 2 hours to start took it back found nothing had to sit in cold with kids for 2 hour waiting on car to start it started got home turned car off went back to start car would not start had to wait 2 more hour then car started. Im a young woman work at night and bought a newer car to depend on and got trash.

- Cincinnati, OH, USA

Jan 182012

Journey 4-cyl

I stopped at mcdonald's on my way to work, came out of mcdonald's went to start my car, had no power at all. My husband came and he tried to jump start it, and that did not work, had the car towed to a dealer, they tried to jump start it and it would not start. They pushed the car into the building and could not find anything wrong, and for some reason they left the key in the on position, and about 4 hours later with no one around the car, the car started all by itself. That problem was never fixed. Three different times after that, my car would not shut off when you turn the car off. Now 3 times this week my car would not start again, and it is in the dealership, and I am 487 mile out of warranty and don't know if Chrysler is going to pay for it. Had to agree to pay $100 fee for them to check it out. We have 3 2010 Journey's in our family, and all are having problems. I feel there should be a recall for this. After great research, we found thousands with the same problem. How come there is no recall" lobbyist in Washington" win module!!!!

- Columbus, MI, USA

Dec 062012

Journey 6-cyl

Since purchasing this vehicle just a few months ago we have experienced numerous incidents where it wouldn't crank on the first try but always on the second try. This time we were out to dinner and it wouldn't crank after numerous tries so we tried jumping it off but all the electrical was working so it wasn't the battery, after waiting about 30 minutes we tried it and it cranked so we assumed it was the starter. However after researching the problem online I glad I didn't go putting a starter and battery on it as it appears to be a ramp-id problem that the dealers aren't acknowledging and can leave families stranded with no idea what to do. There are Chrysler mechanics on these forum sites that admit they know about the problem and say there should be a recall issued with the amount of complaints but Chrysler won't do it.

- Atoka, TN, USA

Mar 052012

Journey 6-cyl

The electrical system shut down when driving. Air-conditioning, radio, and electrical panels all went out. We stopped the car in the park lot nearby and restarted the car. Everything came back after the car is restarted. This happened several months later when we were driving at about 50mph. Same thing. It came back after the car restarts.

- Mckinney, TX, USA

Apr 052010

Journey 6-cyl

Vehicle has had 3 recalls replaced through time. The brakes have been an ongoing issue. I have brought in for steering wheel shaking, to wheels sounding like metal grinding to now a screeching high pitched noise. The front brakes were replaced and I was told all was well. Again louder screeching and the noise isn't a consistent noise all the time so its hard for me to show the problem let alone pin point what's going on. A week after I bought the car the entire electrical inside the car turned off while I was crossing a bridge. It scared me half to death. And even now with my little girl and I in the car I am scared at times to drive not knowing what to expect or what else could go wrong.

- Gulf Breeze, FL, USA

Sep 102012

Journey 6-cyl

A continuing failure to start. Following a electrical system recall my 2010 Journey has failed to start on occasion and became a problem, creating at times a risk of being in the wrong place. We have so little confidence in this vehicle, we no longer drive after dark. When refueling, I don't shut the car off. (safety issue) however; it should be known that setting the alarm system, then triggering the system and putting the fob into the ignition to clear alarm, vehicle has started each time. The dealer thinks I should pay to have a computer check the system. Based on other stories posted both here and on, just answer web sight a computer would be of no value.

- Mountain Top, PA, USA

Jun 062011

Journey 6-cyl

I have had to replace front and rear brakes on this vehicle at a huge expense and the poor stopping ability caused premature wear of my tires which also had to be replaced at a large expense. Also, on multiple occasions my vehicle will not crank when the key is turned. The lights, radio, and windows continue to work, ruling out the battery as the cause. You can hear a "click" when the key is turned but the car remains dead. I have been stranded in dangerous situations when this has happened. Each time the vehicle has been taken to service, no remedy is made as I am told that the problem can not be duplicated. The vehicle is currently in for repair with the same issue. I have asked to have the electrical system checked because I have had issues with multiple bulbs blowing out, (all at the same time), one window not raising or lowering from the passenger button only and a multitude of other quirky, electrical items. I feel that this vehicle is unsafe.

- Detroit, MI, USA

Aug 242011

Car wont start when key is turned on have to wait before it will start. This happens once or twice a month since I brought it.

- Victoria, TX, USA

May 172011

Journey 6-cyl

I purchased a 2010 Dodge Journey (used) in September, 2010. My problem first occurred in may, 2011. I went out to my car leaving work, and it would not start. Lights/horn/locks/radio all worked, but all I got when I turned the key was a clicking sound. At first thought, I figured the battery may have died and needed a jump-start. But this did not work. After trying for 1.5 hours, I finally had the vehicle towed to a dealership. As soon as the vehicle was released from the tow truck, it cranked right up. I had the dealer run a full diagnostic check on it, since it was there and problem had occurred. But they found nothing wrong. I drove the car home, and the problem began to occur more frequently. It has occurred at least twice a week, with wait times varying. Sometimes it'll start after 5 minutes. Other times, I have waited 2-3 hours without it starting, and have been forced to have the vehicle towed. Over the past year I have driven (or towed) this vehicle back to my local Dodge dealership a 10 times! the most recent visit was on 7/29/12, when I paid to have the win module and key fob replaced, and it still doesn't work. I have been given several reasons for the problem, all of which they have supposedly fixed (either at the expense of my extended warranty or at my own expense). Other times, I have simply been told there is nothing they can do because they cannot duplicate the problem when they have it. I have filed 2 separate complaints with Chrysler corporation, but no help. I no longer feel safe driving this vehicle. I Transport my 3 grandchildren on a daily basis (two 4-month old twins, born prematurely). I live in tx, where temperatures reach as high as 110+. I am very afraid of having my grandchildren in the car with me, and the car will not start for 2-3 hours, forcing us to wait in the 100+ temperatures to see if the car will decide to work. Please help!!!

- Mesquite, TX, USA

May 022011

Journey 6-cyl

The car first would stall while driving losing all power, a plastic piece was installed to hold key after several complaints. Shortly after the vehicle would not start at all on several occasions leaving me stranded this happened for almost a year more often than not and I was told by the dealerships there is no recall and I would need to pay to replace the ignition which I had to finally do when the vehicle would no longer start at all in January of 2012, I now have a new ignition which was supposed to fix the problem and have still been experiencing the same problems about a month after I replaced the ignition and keys which I had to pay extra for a second key it is getting back to the way it was before I replaced the ignition taking me 30 mins to start my car today, all the power comes on the engine will just not turn over. This car is become very unreliable for a working mother, I never know if I'll be able to just get in my car and go or if I'll have to leave my car somewhere over night and come back and hope it starts again. Please help!!

- Davenport, IA, USA

Oct 042010

Journey 6-cyl

While driving at hwy. Speed 50 mph, engine just cut off, losing lights, power etc.. after months of complaints and appointments with no help, finally received a recall notice about a yr. After our first complaints. The ignition switch had to be replaced, fob was slipping out of ignition. Now brakes are on back order, resurfaced both front and rear at 9406 miles, adjusted at 12259, and awaiting parts for our third repair on the brakes front and rear at 20697. Did I mention they want a 100. Deductible to repair a defect in their brakes.

- Keansburg, NJ, USA

Jan 012011

The contact owns a 2010 Dodge Journey. While parked, the contact noticed that the lights on the instrument panel would not illuminate and the windshield wipers would activate independently. The failure recurred intermittently at least four times. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnostics and repairs, but the contact was not aware of the repairs that were performed by the technician. The failure persisted after the repairs. The VIN was not available. The approximate failure mileage was 5,000.

- Fredricksburg, VA, USA

Feb 262012

Journey 6-cyl

Upon driving the vehicle we lost power to the radio, cigarette lighter and cruise control. It went off for about 30 seconds and came back on. It happened between 8-10 times during a 2 day period. It doesn't matter the speed at all.

- North Rose, NY, USA