CarComplaints.com Notes: I hope I can stop you from buying this vehicle before you find out that it won't be able to stop you.

2. i just want the car to start when i turn the key (5 reports)
  3. had a better quality battery installed plus felt insulators (2 reports)
  4. replace starter (1 reports)
2010 Dodge Journey electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Dodge Journey:

2010 Dodge Journey Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Aug 202014

Journey SXT 3.5L

The car had been doing fairly good up until the starting problem. Had to be jumped off every time it wouldn't start. Replaced the battery back in Aug 2014 it didn't fix the problem. Replaced the battery again Feb 2015 with a better battery, in the cold with my fingers frizzing off. Getting really aggravated because it was in the middle of winter. That did not solve the problem, left my wife, kids and I stranded, had to be jumped again in April 2015. All auto makers need to be held accountable! My hope is for the government to pass a law to force auto makers to comply with all the laws. And make new laws for the protection of the consumer.

- , Ewing, USA

Jun 222015

Journey 3.2L

My Dodge Journey was fine from 2010 when I purchased it until two weeks ago. When my car would not start, I called a tow truck to take it to a mechanic but within the 2 hour wait time and after several repeated tries, my car started up. I drove it to a mechanic who changed my starter for $350.

One day later, it would not start again. I returned it to the mechanic, who called a Dodge service center and found out that there was a current recall on the ignition switch for 2009 & 2010 Doge Journeys. I was sent to the dealership with this information and the ignition was changed free of charge due to the recall. Two days later, my car refused to start again after about10 repeated attempts. Finally after waiting for 3 hours, the car started up.

During the course of these frustrating occurrences, I have had to walk home, couldn't leave on a lunch break for food and spent way too much time & money on a problem that seems not to have a solution. Thankfully, my child was not with me on any of these incidences. After reading similar complaints on this site, I will not waste any more time or money trying to get this problem rectified. I have begun looking for another vehicle.

- , Plantation, FL, USA

Oct 162014

Journey 2.4L 4 cyl

Bought car at a dealer with a nice warranty that covers everything but electrical problems. After a couple months it would not start a few times each week until it set from 2 to six hours. Now we have it towed home and it has to sit overnight to start.

- , Ortonville, MI, USA

Jul 202014

On several occasions, the car will not start when the key fob is turned to start the engine. The battery is fine. The car will click. I can try to restart it several times and around the 5th time it will start. This ignition problem had been an earlier recall where it has been replaced twice.

- , Euless, TX, USA

Dec 122014

Journey SXT 3.5L

Have had numerous issues with the car not starting over the last three years. Bought it used in 2010 with 17,000 miles on it. Currently about 53,000 miles. Car periodically won't start. Turn the key and just clicks. While on vacation it happened again and by a fluke we figured out that moving the shift lever around would allow the car to start. This morning that little trick wouldn't work when the car failed to start again. Tried locking/unlocking the doors, wiggling the shifter, using a different key and still wouldn't start. Kids were late for school and wife was late for work.

- , Blaine, MN, USA

Mar 242014

Journey 2.4L

I have been having problems with my car not starting for about 8 months now. At first it would have on occasion, would just turn the key and hearing a few clicks and nothing. All the lights and radio and everything worked fine, issue wasn't with the battery.

Progressively it has gotten so bad, I have to let my car sit for 4-8 hours before it will start, My wife and kids have been stuck at the grocery store with a car full of groceries, We have had to have it towed home on 4 occasions, I have had to walk to work and walk home.

This car is the worse car I have ever owned. I will never buy another Dodge/Chrysler product ever again.

- , Parma, OH, USA

Jun 092012

Journey SE 2.4L

It is very frustrating when you get into your car and turn the key and nothing happens! These are not old cars and they should not have these issues! I am going on my second starter because they just suck!

My first problem started a few years ago. I got into my car, turned the key and nothing happened.. again, nothing.. it took 3 times but it turned on. It happened that once and thought it was a fluke but then it kept happening. Luckily each time after trying a few times it would start. On my way for a oil change where I was also going to have them look at the starting issue, I stopped for gas which would prove to be a pain the butt... I went to start the car after filling up and nothing.. tried again, and again and again.. nothing :| So I Was stuck at a gas station.. I was able to call roadside and they tried to get it going but ended up towing it. They replaced the starter and all was great.. for a while.. Just over a year later the problems started again. At first I thought it was a different issue because it did it on one of the coldest days of the year and then it happened again in the summer while camping. Luckily after few tries it turned on. A few weeks later it did it again except it wouldn't turn on at all. I called roadside assistance again and he came to boost me but it didn't work. He got out his long crowbar and smacked the starter as I was turning the key and voila it started. Tomorrow I am off to the dealership again to have it replaced. I have had a few errands to run this weekend and luckily I haven't had any issues with it starting, so hopefully I will make it to the appointment tomorrow.

Good Luck everyone else with your Journey!

- , Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Aug 152011

Journey ES3.5 3.5L

We purchased our journey in the fall of 2010, it wasn't until the summer of 2011 when we had our first issues of no start problems. We had full power everything worked we just had no power to starter. We were at Cedar Pointe closing time and were told we had to leave the premises. Hard to do when your new car wont start. After several minutes and several turns of the key fob it finally started. Now over the past few years it has been an ongoing issue. Living in Upper Michigan never had any problems in the winter months only in the summer so not sure if outside temp has anything to do with the issue. But now just in the past 3 days we have had 6 incidents. Once had to wait 2 hours for it to start. I will not put up with type of issue, totally unacceptable when you are still making payments and all you can do when you are stranded is cross your fingers and pray you are not in an emergency situation when this occurs. If Chrysler cannot fix this problem they will get this one back, it will be traded in for a Chevy or a Ford, anything but a Chrysler product.

- , Newberry, MI, USA

May 012013

Journey 2.4L V4

Well, let's give this a mention for sure. I have a 2010 Dodge Journey Base model. I purchased the vehicle used in March of 2013, after owning the vehicle for less than a couple months it began an annoying issue. I would turn the key and the vehicle would have full power with no start, a few clicks and that was it. The first time it happened I was stuck downtown and we did everything we could think of TO GET IT TO START: different key, a jump ( even though we had full power) push and roll start. We had to leave it overnight and came with a tow truck next morning and the dang thing just started right up. huh!!!

Issue didn't happen again for maybe a couple of weeks. This time it started as a long CRANK TIME AND THEN GETTING STUCK IN START MODE until it just died. Then you could turn it off and back on and it would start right up. Took it to the dealer and they said they couldn't reproduce the issue but pay us $140 to tell you that. So we took our vehicle and moved on . Of course the issue proceeded several more times and just kept getting worse. More no starts with full power closer and closer together until finally it just wouldn't start at all. We had it towed to the dealer for $80 dollars.

The dealer said $140 again and cleaned the starter and battery. Claimed we had low voltage to the starter. What do you think happens next? The problem persists, finally we again got stuck and had it towed to the dealer for $80 dollars, this time they say we think we got it, you need a whole new wiring harness. What!!! They start pulling my wiring harness around making the issue start and stop this cost us $140 + $1200 + $90 for the rental hahaha!!!! They said that should be the issue. Also let me mention that they claimed the ignition had a recall which caused the key to fall out when starting and they changed that too, Not gonna call it a fix because Chrysler or that dealer sucks.

Now here we are winter time, it has been about 2 months since the new harness and what happens, it starts happening again intermediate starts with a long turnover and then no start. I tell myself, well, it is possible to need a new battery right after another issue. Maybe it is winter, it's a cold start issue, totally separate. I'll go get a new battery and have the old one checked . What happens, my battery and alternator and starter are in perfect heath. I was actually running 531 cca when I was only suppose to have 525cca. SO NOW ,WE ASK OURSELVES WHEN DOES CHRYSLER OWN UP TO THIS PROBLEM? WHEN DO WE GET JUSTICE? $1000 PLUS PEOPLE IS MORE THAN ENOUGH TO START A CLASS ACTION SUIT.

P.s. that is $1798 dollars for an unresolved issue !!!!

- , Saint Louis, MO, USA

Mar 072013

Periodically, the vehicle would not start when I turned the key. There was a clicking sound, but the engine did not turn over. After three separate visits to the dealership to have it addressed, including one visit in which the dealership replaced the battery, I took it in to a commercial repair shop to have the battery replaced by them.

The commercial repair shop put in a battery that is good to -30 Celsius, as well as felt insulating tabs and of course, dialectic grease. The battery also comes with a ten year, no-fault warranty and will be replaced free of charge in the event that it fails. They indicated at that time that there was a great deal of corrosion on the posts and that the electrical cables didn't have a solid grip on the battery. Keep in mind this was the "new" battery provided by the dealership and was only about six months old.

The problem seems to have resolved itself, so I assume that the issue was that the batteries provided for Dodge are substandard or of poor quality and do not hold a charge.

- , Grande Prairie, AB, canada

Oct 152013

My car wouldn't start. I turned the key and nothing. No clicking, no anything. Tried to charge the battery. Didn't help. Tried again a couple hours later and it started. The next morning it wouldn't start right away. Sat in my car for a few minutes with the key in the ignition, not even turning it and it started all by itself.

Called the dealership and took the car in. They said everything looks fine, the car started for them and there is nothing they can do if the problem isn't happening when it is with them. They said the only thing that popped up was a "software update" specific to the ignition. Which I had to pay for! Really? A software update that I have to pay for!!!! They updated something and never mentioned anything about it needing to be done when I purchased the car and I have to pay for it?!?!?!?! Because my warranty was only up to 36,000 miles! They told me the update "should" fix the problem so I paid the $60 and went on my way.

A few days later and it's happening again. Doesn't happen each time I get in the car, but it happens pretty often. If I keep trying or hold the key in the ignition and have it turned, it starts after a minute or so. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. My father-in-law suggested I Google the issue and see what pops up. He said I guarantee there are other complaints out there for the same thing. Boy, was he right!!!!

It's very frustrating to have to worry and wonder if my car will start every time I need to go somewhere. Especially with a Chicago winter on it's way and 2 little boys to worry about. Will they get to school on time? Will I get to work on time? UGH!!! THANKS DODGE! NOT!

- , Orland Park, IL, USA

Jun 012013

I hate going out just to complete simple errands just and suddenly stopped dead in my tracks because my stupid worthless car won't start. If you can't start your car when you turn the ignition key and it happens when you least expect it. You get paranoid everytime you get behind the wheel. It's a very desperate feeling of complete victimization ....DODGE IS EVIL FOR LETTING INNOCENT UNSUSPECTING CONSUMERS TO CONTINUE TO BE GAUGED AND RIPPED OFF OF THEIR HARD EARNED MONEY. BURN IN HELL ALONG WITH EVERY MOBEY GRUBBING DEMON THAT HAD MANAGED TO INFEST THIS WORLD....YOUR DEMISE IS COMING AND WE WILL BE THERE WITH POPCORN.

- , Toronto, Ontario, canada

Aug 252013

I was reading these compaints and my car has done this twice now. The first time it happened was about 8 months ago. it wouldn't start, but I made other transportation arrangements and came back about 4 hours later and it started right up. Now it did it again yesterday. it wouldn't start, tried to jump it, that didn't work so had it towed. when the dealership started it the next morning it started right up. They said there is nothing they can do unless its not working. So as you can see, i'm having the same problem, but has anyone found a solution to this? This scares me because where will i be the next time it happens?

- , Homewood, IL, USA

May 072013

2010 dodge journey starting problem. When trying to start, I would hear a clicking sound and then of course, it would not start... would let my car sit overnight or sometimes a couple of hours, go back & it started. Even doing it several times, still would not start. I am done with Chrysler/Dodge products.... I never know from one time to the next if my car will start... Ask me how much I enjoy getting stranded.. NOT! This is totally unacceptable for any product, much less my car. I am so frustrated.

- , Red Wing, MN, USA

Feb 112013

The problem is not fixed cause they can't find whats wrong with it. and it's been going on for two year and now its taking an hour to 2 hours to start once you turn the car off. been missing days of work due to problem and all the dodge dealer say is 'we don't see anything', will not fix or give a new car.They tell me i owe too much. i guess so, its a new car and yes i owe 15000 cause i paid 18,889. It's not fair, i have to pay for a piece of sh*t.

- , Cincinnati, OH, USA

Jun 042013

Journey SXT 3.2L V6

Started a few weeks ago, car would not start or even turn over. We sat there for awhile and it started the fifth time around. In there last week, it has happened everyday. Will take it to the dealer, and guess it is not covered anymore.

- , Gatineau, Quebec, Canada

Jan 012013

Journey SXT 3.2L

yes what a pain when I try to unlock the car its like I hit the red button and it won't stop. I have to take the key out to unlock the doors then turn the car on and off a couple of times before it stops.

- , Greensboro, NC, USA

Jan 052013

Journey R/T 2.0L Tdi

My Journey has been towed today , wouldn't start anymore..power ok, starting up took a whole while but starting nothing but 'click'...had this a few times earlier but then eventually would start. Tow guy said starter broke down , now the dealer is going to replace that but after reading all your similar complaints I doubt that is gonna fix it ! Earlier a lost power in high shifts.. like turbo wouldn't grip or emission filter was narrowed but after going flat out for some times it got better... My wife told that while she was driving the engine turned off !! Cruise control sometimes doesn't work..battery is renewed once...and so on... Just 2 more years ;-) Greetings from Belgium

- , Stabroek, Antwerp, Belgium

Dec 112012

Journey LX 3.2L

I purchased this dodge journey brand new from the dealer here in Nassau Bahamas. It is a 2010 but was purchased in May of 2011. The first problem was the rear passenger door lock which never locked properly from day one. the dealer sent away to U.S. for the part, fixed it no problem.

Just over a year later the brakes had to be changed under 15k miles and the mechanic at the dealer mentioned about the rotors starting to wear but didn't make it sound as serious as I've been reading on this site.

Less than 5 days ago I woke up and went to start the vehicle and the dashboard said bad key. Called the dealer had them tow it to shop and now they are saying the the computer module needs to be change. Are you serious, the car isn't even 2 yrs old to me even though its a 2010. I just got it under warranty too because here in the Bahamas its a 2yr /25k mile warranty. Therefore if I experience another problem I'm on my own because i have 24k miles on the jeep. This is my first and last Dodge. I'll be dodging from Dodge.

- , Nassau, New Providence, Bahamas

Aug 262012

Started a few weeks ago, car would not start or even turn over. We sat there for awhile and it started. In there last week, it has happened everyday. Took it to the Dealer, and guess what not covered past 36000 miles.

WFT, really on a 2010 - calling dodge. Almost sure this should be a recall.

- , Detroit, MI, USA