7.5

2. i just want the car to start when i turn the key (3 reports)
  3. had a better quality battery installed plus felt insulators (1 reports)
2010 Dodge Journey electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Dodge Journey:

2010 Dodge Journey Owner Comments

Mar 072013

Journey

Periodically, the vehicle would not start when I turned the key. There was a clicking sound, but the engine did not turn over. After three separate visits to the dealership to have it addressed, including one visit in which the dealership replaced the battery, I took it in to a commercial repair shop to have the battery replaced by them.

The commercial repair shop put in a battery that is good to -30 Celsius, as well as felt insulating tabs and of course, dialectic grease. The battery also comes with a ten year, no-fault warranty and will be replaced free of charge in the event that it fails. They indicated at that time that there was a great deal of corrosion on the posts and that the electrical cables didn't have a solid grip on the battery. Keep in mind this was the "new" battery provided by the dealership and was only about six months old.

The problem seems to have resolved itself, so I assume that the issue was that the batteries provided for Dodge are substandard or of poor quality and do not hold a charge.

- , Grande Prairie, AB, canada

Oct 152013

Journey

My car wouldn't start. I turned the key and nothing. No clicking, no anything. Tried to charge the battery. Didn't help. Tried again a couple hours later and it started. The next morning it wouldn't start right away. Sat in my car for a few minutes with the key in the ignition, not even turning it and it started all by itself.

Called the dealership and took the car in. They said everything looks fine, the car started for them and there is nothing they can do if the problem isn't happening when it is with them. They said the only thing that popped up was a "software update" specific to the ignition. Which I had to pay for! Really? A software update that I have to pay for!!!! They updated something and never mentioned anything about it needing to be done when I purchased the car and I have to pay for it?!?!?!?! Because my warranty was only up to 36,000 miles! They told me the update "should" fix the problem so I paid the $60 and went on my way.

A few days later and it's happening again. Doesn't happen each time I get in the car, but it happens pretty often. If I keep trying or hold the key in the ignition and have it turned, it starts after a minute or so. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. My father-in-law suggested I Google the issue and see what pops up. He said I guarantee there are other complaints out there for the same thing. Boy, was he right!!!!

It's very frustrating to have to worry and wonder if my car will start every time I need to go somewhere. Especially with a Chicago winter on it's way and 2 little boys to worry about. Will they get to school on time? Will I get to work on time? UGH!!! THANKS DODGE! NOT!

- , Orland Park, IL, USA

Jun 012013

Journey

I hate going out just to complete simple errands just and suddenly stopped dead in my tracks because my stupid worthless car won't start. If you can't start your car when you turn the ignition key and it happens when you least expect it. You get paranoid everytime you get behind the wheel. It's a very desperate feeling of complete victimization ....DODGE IS EVIL FOR LETTING INNOCENT UNSUSPECTING CONSUMERS TO CONTINUE TO BE GAUGED AND RIPPED OFF OF THEIR HARD EARNED MONEY. BURN IN HELL ALONG WITH EVERY MOBEY GRUBBING DEMON THAT HAD MANAGED TO INFEST THIS WORLD....YOUR DEMISE IS COMING AND WE WILL BE THERE WITH POPCORN.

- , Toronto, Ontario, canada

Aug 252013

Journey

I was reading these compaints and my car has done this twice now. The first time it happened was about 8 months ago. it wouldn't start, but I made other transportation arrangements and came back about 4 hours later and it started right up. Now it did it again yesterday. it wouldn't start, tried to jump it, that didn't work so had it towed. when the dealership started it the next morning it started right up. They said there is nothing they can do unless its not working. So as you can see, i'm having the same problem, but has anyone found a solution to this? This scares me because where will i be the next time it happens?

- , Homewood, IL, USA

May 072013

Journey

2010 dodge journey starting problem. When trying to start, I would hear a clicking sound and then of course, it would not start... would let my car sit overnight or sometimes a couple of hours, go back & it started. Even doing it several times, still would not start. I am done with Chrysler/Dodge products.... I never know from one time to the next if my car will start... Ask me how much I enjoy getting stranded.. NOT! This is totally unacceptable for any product, much less my car. I am so frustrated.

- , Red Wing, Minnesota, USA

Feb 112013

Journey

The problem is not fixed cause they can't find whats wrong with it. and it's been going on for two year and now its taking an hour to 2 hours to start once you turn the car off. been missing days of work due to problem and all the dodge dealer say is 'we don't see anything', will not fix or give a new car.They tell me i owe too much. i guess so, its a new car and yes i owe 15000 cause i paid 18,889. It's not fair, i have to pay for a piece of sh*t.

- , Cincinnati, OH, USA

Jun 042013

Journey SXT 3.2L V6

Started a few weeks ago, car would not start or even turn over. We sat there for awhile and it started the fifth time around. In there last week, it has happened everyday. Will take it to the dealer, and guess it is not covered anymore.

- , Gatineau, Quebec, Canada

Jan 012013

Journey SXT 3.2L

yes what a pain when I try to unlock the car its like I hit the red button and it won't stop. I have to take the key out to unlock the doors then turn the car on and off a couple of times before it stops.

- , Greensboro, NC, USA

Jan 052013

Journey R/T 2.0L Tdi

My Journey has been towed today , wouldn't start anymore..power ok, starting up took a whole while but starting nothing but 'click'...had this a few times earlier but then eventually would start. Tow guy said starter broke down , now the dealer is going to replace that but after reading all your similar complaints I doubt that is gonna fix it ! Earlier a lost power in high shifts.. like turbo wouldn't grip or emission filter was narrowed but after going flat out for some times it got better... My wife told that while she was driving the engine turned off !! Cruise control sometimes doesn't work..battery is renewed once...and so on... Just 2 more years ;-) Greetings from Belgium

- , Stabroek, Antwerp, Belgium

Dec 112012

Journey LX 3.2L

I purchased this dodge journey brand new from the dealer here in Nassau Bahamas. It is a 2010 but was purchased in May of 2011. The first problem was the rear passenger door lock which never locked properly from day one. the dealer sent away to U.S. for the part, fixed it no problem.

Just over a year later the brakes had to be changed under 15k miles and the mechanic at the dealer mentioned about the rotors starting to wear but didn't make it sound as serious as I've been reading on this site.

Less than 5 days ago I woke up and went to start the vehicle and the dashboard said bad key. Called the dealer had them tow it to shop and now they are saying the the computer module needs to be change. Are you serious, the car isn't even 2 yrs old to me even though its a 2010. I just got it under warranty too because here in the Bahamas its a 2yr /25k mile warranty. Therefore if I experience another problem I'm on my own because i have 24k miles on the jeep. This is my first and last Dodge. I'll be dodging from Dodge.

- , Nassau, New Providence, Bahamas

Aug 262012

Journey

Started a few weeks ago, car would not start or even turn over. We sat there for awhile and it started. In there last week, it has happened everyday. Took it to the Dealer, and guess what not covered past 36000 miles.

WFT, really on a 2010 - calling dodge. Almost sure this should be a recall.

- , Detroit, MI, USA

Mar 202012

Journey

went up .north on June 8th. it was running fine went to come home on June 10th my birthday turn the key nothing, waited a few min. turn key started but had no air,power windows, no lights , no power what so ever turned car off for a while turn the key everything back to normal. took it back to the dealership on Monday they made two new keys they said the keys might have a crack in it and vehicle won't start and also put in a new ignition and it works great no problem went to go some where on Saturday the 16th of June would not start waited a few min. it stated now I will call dealership again to see what they can come up with this vehicle is not dependable I don't even want to go on vacation with it I will rent a car. so I will write Chrysler and tell them they need a recall on all Journeys also I am thinking about getting a different vehicle....................

- , Clinton, Twp., MI, USA

Oct 282011

Journey EX V6

I tried to start my car (that I have not even made the first payment on) and it wouldn't start. I jumped the vehicle because I assumed the battery was dead. White smoke poured out of the tail pipes and when I tried to give it gas the car acted like it was going to die. Drove fine for the next few days, then it happen again. Took it to the dealer and of course they didn't notice the problem. The sales man tried to start the car to return it to me and guess what? It wouldn't start. You would think since Dodge has been having this problem in the 2009 Journey, they would have had the problem fixed. I am still waiting to see what the dealer is going to come up with. I will let you know.

- , Florence, SC, USA