CarComplaints.com Notes: I hope I can stop you from buying this vehicle before you find out that it won't be able to stop you.

2010 Dodge Journey engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Dodge Journey:

2010 Dodge Journey Owner Comments (Page 4 of 5)

Jun 122014

Journey

The car turned itself off while in traffic on cary parkway. Tried to restart the car by reinserting fob. It took 10 minutes of removing and reinserting fob in ignition before car started. In the meantime, cars behind me almost ran into me.

- Cary, NC, USA

Jun 032014

Journey

Stopped at store for a few minutes to pick some things up. Upon getting back in the car, it would not crank nor start. After a few minutes, it started up like nothing had happened. Issue has occurred again about a week and a half after the first occurrence. This is a walk-home condition that needs to be addressed. Issue is similar to numerous other complaints filed with NHTSA, as well as posted online.

- Roseville, MI, USA

May 102011

Journey

The contact owns a 2010 Dodge Journey. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds, the vehicle wobbled and vibrated violently. Also, the contact mentioned that the vehicle stalled without any warning. The vehicle was taken to a dealer. The technician was unable to diagnose the failure. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 37,000 and the current mileage was 97,000.

- Sunrise, FL, USA

Mar 242014

Journey 6-cyl

While driving down the road at highway speed. The vehicle shut off. First time thought it was a fluke. But has since gotten progressively worse. To the point where it getting to be unpredictable and unsafe to all in the vehicle or on the road. Seen other styles of this same vehicle have recalls for same type of issues. Called Chrysler Corp for variation. Found out my vehicle was made in time frame of others in that period. But is not included. Believe this needs to be looked into more. Before something terrible happens to my family or I.

- Union, IA, USA

Nov 212013

Journey

Engine died and car lost all power including steering, brakes.

- Wahiawa, HI, USA

Apr 192012

Journey

The contact owns a 2010 Dodge Journey. The contact stated that while driving 35 mph, the engine stalled without warning. The contact stated that she coasted to the side of the road where she restarted the vehicle and it functioned properly. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for inspection and they stated that they could not determine the cause of failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 20,000. Updated 6/17/14

- Kawkawlin, MI, USA

Mar 262014

Journey 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2010 Dodge Journey. The contact stated that coolant was leaking from what appeared to be a fracture in the middle of the reservoir. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileage was 48,000. Updated 5/27/14 updated 05/30/2014

- Stockton, CA, USA

Oct 072012

Journey 4-cyl

I bought this vehicle in 2010. I have now had 5 times where the vehicle will not start. I will be running errands and then get in the vehicle to start it and all it does is click. I've tried to jump it but it will not work. If you wait 3-4 hours it most likely will start. During several of these times, I've had my kids with me. The car needed to be towed and by the time the service men will start it, it starts right up. They did switch out my keys a few times, but it just happened again this weekend. I was stranded in a different city with no ride. The dealership / service repair man has no idea what the cause is. You don't know when this is gong to happen. This vehicle is not reliable and it is unsafe. If you look online and search this problem with this vehicle you will find 100's of complaints.

- Homewood, IL, USA

Jul 052011

Journey 6-cyl

I keep having to take my car into the shop to get it looked at. I go to start it and it either gets stuck turning the engine and then will start fine or it will just click and not start at all. The problem only happened a few times before but now it's starting to happen 1 out of 5 times. I have had the win module replaced and the problem still exist.

- Apo, AE, USA

Feb 012012

Journey

The contact owns a 2010 Dodge Journey. The contact stated that the ignition key failed to start. The engine also vibrated at initial start-up and the check engine warning light remained illuminated. The dealer replaced the engine key however the failure was not corrected. The vehicle was taken back to the dealer for further inspection. The VIN was not available. The failure mileage was 46,000 and the current mileage was 75,000.

- Racho Cordova, CA, USA

Jan 082014

Journey 6-cyl

Vehicle started to have a clicking noise a month prior to failure. After a cold snap, the engine began running very roughly at start. Diagnostics show that the #2 cylinder is failing, and leading to weak air intake in cylinders #4 and #6. my research has indicated that Dodge is aware of thousands of complaints of a cylinder head failure in the engine in this model of car. These failures have lead to a nationwide shortage of the parts to fix the problem, I am currently 379th on a list requesting the parts to fix this problem. Dodge seems to be knowingly aware of a major design flaw and is offering no help to people like myself that are outside of warranty coverage.

- Palmyra, VA, USA

Oct 252013

Journey 4-cyl

I was struck on the left front by a 1997 Dodge stratus occupied by 5 teenage boys. The damage was bumper and left fender (insurance estimate about $3,000. But the battery was placed on top of the engine by the manufacturer. The battery was the original battery installed on car. No engine repair had been done on the vehicle. The battery exploded and the engine was covered by battery acid which destroyed all the wiring in the engine. Battery acid also went down the driver's side of the car destroying paint and eating into metal. Two adjusters examined the car as the insurance was amazed at amount of destruction. They each stopped at $11,000 damage and totaled the car. I was told that had any glass been broken and I got battery acid on my body, the damage would have been severe. A mechanic at the scene said the battery placement was very dangerous as was said by insurance adjusters and repair service where the car was towed. I called the dealership and Dodge itself and reported the problem. They both said they never had heard of any problem. I walked away unhurt but could have driven the car for the rest of my life (I'm 73) had the battery been placed in a different spot in the engine. I believe this battery placement to be very dangerous and am concerned for others who might have an accident in a car like mine.

- Garland, TX, USA

Oct 102012

Journey 6-cyl

The car will intermittently not start. If you wait about 20 minutes, it will start again on its own. I have had the battery changed/the starter changed and numerous mechanics look at it only to tell me there is nothing wrong. I have been stranded at home- going to work, at the grocery store- with milk and ice cream. This happens more frequently now and I recently had it towed to a mechanic where it started on its own.

- Kaneohe, HI, USA

Apr 302013

Journey

The contact owns a 2010 Dodge Journey. The contact stated that the vehicle sporadically failed to start in addition to stalling when sitting at a complete stop. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic, who diagnosed that the battery was defective. The battery was replaced however, the remedy failed to repair the problem. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 23,505 and the current mileage was 32,000.

- Warren, MI, USA

Jul 042013

Journey

The contact owns a 2010 Dodge Journey. The contact stated that while driving approximately 35 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning. The contact merged to the shoulder and was able to restart the vehicle. The contact mentioned that the failure was recurring. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where the failure was unable to be duplicated. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 50,000 and the current mileage was 53,495.

- Gastonia, NC, USA

Jan 032013

Journey

Since we purchased our Dodge Journey it's been nothing but problems we own a 2010 Journey. We've had to replace brakes and rotors, steering makes a very loud noise when turning almost sounds like electricity and my vehicle is not the only one I witness the same problem with another persons car same Dodge Journey we always get our car the necessary oil changes and my engine makes a very funny noise even our mechanic was worried he told us that our car is still new that my engine has to be leaking because everytime we get our routine oil changes it seems like the car is low on oil. Also when I start driving away it loses speed and make a very ugly sound. This is by far the worst investment ever do not throw your money away on anything Dodge or Chrysler garbage expensive garbage then when you call them up they say they can't do anything about it. I think the government should be more strict on these kind of things this is our money here we pay taxes on these car more should be done to protect the consumer.

- Kissimmee, FL, USA

Apr 212013

Journey

The Dodge Journey has a history of transmission faults, loud and noisy and rough transmission shifts. While shifting into a great it will make a loud thud and the car will jerk. We started to get used to this as it has happened since day 1. we let Chrysler know about this and apparently this is "normal." I have never had a similar issue with any other car so to me it is not normal. So fast forward to this past weekend. We were going to tow a few items and drop them off. So everything is loaded and ready to tow, we are on a flat surface with no incline at all, start the car up and put it into drive and bam! a loud noise while we tried to put it into gear. The car was still running while this happened and we started to roll backwards, while in drive. I tried to hit the gas but it just revved a few thousand rpms. I hit the brakes and put it into park and then drive again, but the transmission was still not engaging. Something happened causing the loud bang and no throttle response to the drivetrain. After I put it in park, walked around and then got back in starting the car up again; the car engaged gear this time. Everything ran perfect and then I took it to the Chrysler dealership, they said they could find no evidence what happened or what was wrong, but reassured me again that the loud transmission shifts are normal. So this could be potentially dangerous if this was to happen while on the road or at a stop somewhere.

- Cadillac, MI, USA

Nov 212012

Journey 6-cyl

Vehicle will stall just after it has been started. It will sometimes only do this once and other times it will take multiple re-starts before it stays running. This is a weekly occurrence. Other times it will stall while driving at highway speeds. So far, it has always restarted. I have tried both key fobs and replaced both battery's I have found multiple web sights (including this one at an earlier date) stating Dodge is aware of this problem and at one point had a recall scheduled. Recall # L02 but now it seems not it is not a valid recall.

- Tustin, MI, USA

Feb 012013

Journey

The contact owns a 2010 Dodge Journey. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds, she would hear a hard knocking noise from the driver's side of the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where they advised that they were unable to diagnose the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not contacted. The failure mileage was approximately 65,000. The current mileage was approximately 71,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Slocomb, AL, USA

Feb 262013

Journey 4-cyl

I have had 2010 Dodge Journey since May 2012 and needed to take car to dealerlship for atleast 4 different issues. However, the problem that occured on February 28, 2013 has me bewildered and very uneasy about driving with my family and ever ever purchasing a Dodge or Chrysler vehicle again-and the U.S.a. wants us to buy and support american made products. On 02/28/12, I was rushing to get my son to a meeting and when we got out of car, locked the door and went in building. When we returned, put the key in ignition and just clicking noise with everything working except for the car cranking. I waited about 30 minutes and then tried to crank but no such luck. It was late in the evening, and here I am with my babies in the car, on a school night, and trying to call a tow. My cousin did come out, we attempted jumper cables and then went to get gas and it started. I went to the gas station to fill up just in case, ignition still on and the car cuts off and doesnt restart. I contacted a tow again and an hour and half later when tow arrived; it cranked for the tow driver. Once I got home and parked, the car would not start again. When my husband got home about 4hours later, it still would not crank. On 3/1/13 attempted to take kids to school and car would not start. It did finally crank after it was too late and we took to a licensed mechanic to complete a diagnostic. He kept all day testing and to no avail, no codes or problems appeared. It did crank but I'm very fearful of driving the car now with my family. I contacted several Dodge dealerships, Dodge customer service, and Dodge techauthority and no one seemed to know or have heard of the problem im having.

- South Holland, IL, USA