CarComplaints.com Notes: I hope I can stop you from buying this vehicle before you find out that it won't be able to stop you.

2010 Dodge Journey engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Dodge Journey:

2010 Dodge Journey Owner Comments (Page 4 of 5)

Jul 312014

Journey 6-cyl

I was sitting at the approach to our driveway with my foot on the brake, waiting to ensure my grandchildren had safely cleared the driveway area. Without warning, there was a sound like the car engine revving up, the car starting moving/lunging forward on its own and all attempts to apply the brakes to stop the car failed. I quickly steered toward a tree in my front yard where I chose to crash my car in order to stop its continued acceleration. The cause of the acceleration is unknown. If I had not chosen to hit the tree, the car was headed for my front porch/house where my grandchildren had gone to clear the driveway area. A contractor working on my neighbor¿'s property came to assist me and turned off the car engine. There was a strong burning odor/chemical smell permeating my car after the crash. In spite of the impact, my air bag did not deploy. We called 911, the insurance company and he car was towed to a collision shop. Registered a formal complaint to Chrysler corporation the night of the crash.

- Naperville, IL, USA

Mar 152014

Journey 6-cyl

Like most of the people posting, I have also experienced the same issues. My Journey will often times not start on the first, second, third or fourth try. At times it takes 1 minute to start, at other times it takes an hour or more. Additionally, I have experienced the very concerning random honking. It happens when the car is turned off, driving down the road or just stopped at a red light. The honks can last anywhere from 1 second to minutes worth of intermittent beeps. This is by far and away the absolute worst car I have ever purchased.

- Saginaw, TX, USA

Jun 282013

Journey 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2010 Dodge Journey. The contact stated while attempting to accelerate from an idle position the vehicle suddenly stalled. The vehicle could not be restarted until approximately two hours later. The contact indicated that the failure occurred multiple times. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who was unable to diagnose the failure. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 49,000. Updated 8/19/14 the consumer stated the ignition snapped out of position when the vehicle was running, and the vehicle would not re-start. The electrical system was checked four times. Updated 09/16/14

- Plymoth, MI, USA

Oct 082013

Journey

The contact owns a 2010 Dodge Journey. The contact stated while driving without warning the vehicle would stall. While starting the vehicle it would shut off when the gear shifted into drive. The vehicle was taken to a dealer who was unable to diagnose the failure; however, the spark plugs were repaired and the failure recurred. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 40,000. The current mileage was 53,000.

- Louisville, KY, USA

Jun 142014

Journey

For the past several months the car will simply turn off while we are driving it. So far we've been able to get the car over to the side of the road to re-start it. I noticed there is a recall regarding this problem, but it seems our vehicle isn't included in the recall. I've taken it to two dealerships, but they cannot locate the source of the trouble. I've contacted Dodge directly and have been told, again, that our vehicle isn't included in the recall, and that we can't expect the dealership to repair a problem that they can't find the source of. But this problem isn't new and has been identified in the past - why don't they know the source of the problem? this is our family vehicle and we are concerned about the safety of the car - especially considering the latest news coverage of a similar problem in another brand of automobile.

- Rock Island, IL, USA

Jun 122014

Journey

The car turned itself off while in traffic on cary parkway. Tried to restart the car by reinserting fob. It took 10 minutes of removing and reinserting fob in ignition before car started. In the meantime, cars behind me almost ran into me.

- Cary, NC, USA

Jun 032014

Journey

Stopped at store for a few minutes to pick some things up. Upon getting back in the car, it would not crank nor start. After a few minutes, it started up like nothing had happened. Issue has occurred again about a week and a half after the first occurrence. This is a walk-home condition that needs to be addressed. Issue is similar to numerous other complaints filed with NHTSA, as well as posted online.

- Roseville, MI, USA

May 102011

Journey

The contact owns a 2010 Dodge Journey. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds, the vehicle wobbled and vibrated violently. Also, the contact mentioned that the vehicle stalled without any warning. The vehicle was taken to a dealer. The technician was unable to diagnose the failure. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 37,000 and the current mileage was 97,000.

- Sunrise, FL, USA

Mar 242014

Journey 6-cyl

While driving down the road at highway speed. The vehicle shut off. First time thought it was a fluke. But has since gotten progressively worse. To the point where it getting to be unpredictable and unsafe to all in the vehicle or on the road. Seen other styles of this same vehicle have recalls for same type of issues. Called Chrysler Corp for variation. Found out my vehicle was made in time frame of others in that period. But is not included. Believe this needs to be looked into more. Before something terrible happens to my family or I.

- Union, IA, USA

Nov 212013

Journey

Engine died and car lost all power including steering, brakes.

- Wahiawa, HI, USA

Apr 192012

Journey

The contact owns a 2010 Dodge Journey. The contact stated that while driving 35 mph, the engine stalled without warning. The contact stated that she coasted to the side of the road where she restarted the vehicle and it functioned properly. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for inspection and they stated that they could not determine the cause of failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 20,000. Updated 6/17/14

- Kawkawlin, MI, USA

Mar 262014

Journey 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2010 Dodge Journey. The contact stated that coolant was leaking from what appeared to be a fracture in the middle of the reservoir. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileage was 48,000. Updated 5/27/14 updated 05/30/2014

- Stockton, CA, USA

Oct 072012

Journey 4-cyl

I bought this vehicle in 2010. I have now had 5 times where the vehicle will not start. I will be running errands and then get in the vehicle to start it and all it does is click. I've tried to jump it but it will not work. If you wait 3-4 hours it most likely will start. During several of these times, I've had my kids with me. The car needed to be towed and by the time the service men will start it, it starts right up. They did switch out my keys a few times, but it just happened again this weekend. I was stranded in a different city with no ride. The dealership / service repair man has no idea what the cause is. You don't know when this is gong to happen. This vehicle is not reliable and it is unsafe. If you look online and search this problem with this vehicle you will find 100's of complaints.

- Homewood, IL, USA

Jul 052011

Journey 6-cyl

I keep having to take my car into the shop to get it looked at. I go to start it and it either gets stuck turning the engine and then will start fine or it will just click and not start at all. The problem only happened a few times before but now it's starting to happen 1 out of 5 times. I have had the win module replaced and the problem still exist.

- Apo, AE, USA

Feb 012012

Journey

The contact owns a 2010 Dodge Journey. The contact stated that the ignition key failed to start. The engine also vibrated at initial start-up and the check engine warning light remained illuminated. The dealer replaced the engine key however the failure was not corrected. The vehicle was taken back to the dealer for further inspection. The VIN was not available. The failure mileage was 46,000 and the current mileage was 75,000.

- Racho Cordova, CA, USA

Jan 082014

Journey 6-cyl

Vehicle started to have a clicking noise a month prior to failure. After a cold snap, the engine began running very roughly at start. Diagnostics show that the #2 cylinder is failing, and leading to weak air intake in cylinders #4 and #6. my research has indicated that Dodge is aware of thousands of complaints of a cylinder head failure in the engine in this model of car. These failures have lead to a nationwide shortage of the parts to fix the problem, I am currently 379th on a list requesting the parts to fix this problem. Dodge seems to be knowingly aware of a major design flaw and is offering no help to people like myself that are outside of warranty coverage.

- Palmyra, VA, USA

Oct 252013

Journey 4-cyl

I was struck on the left front by a 1997 Dodge stratus occupied by 5 teenage boys. The damage was bumper and left fender (insurance estimate about $3,000. But the battery was placed on top of the engine by the manufacturer. The battery was the original battery installed on car. No engine repair had been done on the vehicle. The battery exploded and the engine was covered by battery acid which destroyed all the wiring in the engine. Battery acid also went down the driver's side of the car destroying paint and eating into metal. Two adjusters examined the car as the insurance was amazed at amount of destruction. They each stopped at $11,000 damage and totaled the car. I was told that had any glass been broken and I got battery acid on my body, the damage would have been severe. A mechanic at the scene said the battery placement was very dangerous as was said by insurance adjusters and repair service where the car was towed. I called the dealership and Dodge itself and reported the problem. They both said they never had heard of any problem. I walked away unhurt but could have driven the car for the rest of my life (I'm 73) had the battery been placed in a different spot in the engine. I believe this battery placement to be very dangerous and am concerned for others who might have an accident in a car like mine.

- Garland, TX, USA

Oct 102012

Journey 6-cyl

The car will intermittently not start. If you wait about 20 minutes, it will start again on its own. I have had the battery changed/the starter changed and numerous mechanics look at it only to tell me there is nothing wrong. I have been stranded at home- going to work, at the grocery store- with milk and ice cream. This happens more frequently now and I recently had it towed to a mechanic where it started on its own.

- Kaneohe, HI, USA

Apr 302013

Journey

The contact owns a 2010 Dodge Journey. The contact stated that the vehicle sporadically failed to start in addition to stalling when sitting at a complete stop. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic, who diagnosed that the battery was defective. The battery was replaced however, the remedy failed to repair the problem. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 23,505 and the current mileage was 32,000.

- Warren, MI, USA

Jul 042013

Journey

The contact owns a 2010 Dodge Journey. The contact stated that while driving approximately 35 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning. The contact merged to the shoulder and was able to restart the vehicle. The contact mentioned that the failure was recurring. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where the failure was unable to be duplicated. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 50,000 and the current mileage was 53,495.

- Gastonia, NC, USA