Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: I hope I can stop you from buying this vehicle before you find out that it won't be able to stop you.

2010 Dodge Journey engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Dodge Journey:

2010 Dodge Journey Owner Comments (Page 5 of 5)

Dec 112012

The contact owns a 2010 Dodge Journey. The contact stated that while driving 30 mph, the engine stalled without warning. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for inspection and the contact was advised that the egr valve needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was 74,000.

- Rawlings, MD, USA

Jul 192012

Journey 6-cyl

This 2010 Dodge Journey SXT which was delivered to me on 18 March 2010. On 19 July 2010 I had to take this vehicle to tucson Dodge when the check engine came on and the vehicle commenced to shudder. Examination by the service department found that the # 1 cylinder was misfiring and the intake and exhaust valves were not sealing properly.also, the lower intake manifold plug was seeping coolant. The expansion coolant tank was leaking at the seam. These problems necessitated the replacement of the entire right cylinder head assembly and lower intake manifold, and expansion coolant tank. After repair and return of the vehicle to me, 26 July 2012, upon starting the vehicle a distinct clicking noise was heard. Which I reported to the service department who were quite dismissive about it. On or about 27 August I returned to the dealership the clicking was getting louder and the vehicle was shuddering again. This necessitated a second engine repair. "the rocker arms are walking due to worn blocks and rockers". ergo the left and right bank rocker arms/shafts/tappets had to be replaced. Chrysler has failed.neglected and refused to replace the engine in its entirety despite my demand that they do because of repeated documented defects therewith. This engine should not have been broken down and repaired. Evidence the second engine parts failure. Also, why should the blocks be worn at 32K miles? I am thinking that they were worn when they were put in at the factory and an inspector missed this if in fact they were even inspected at assembly.I have absolutely no confidence in the roadworthiness of this vehicle. This engine presents a serious threat to the safety and wellbeing of me and/or my wife and grandchildren while we are out in the vehicle. I am concerned that the engine next will seize or shut down putting me or them in harms way without warning.

- Tucson, AZ, USA

Jun 062011

Journey 6-cyl

I have had to replace front and rear brakes on this vehicle at a huge expense and the poor stopping ability caused premature wear of my tires which also had to be replaced at a large expense. Also, on multiple occasions my vehicle will not crank when the key is turned. The lights, radio, and windows continue to work, ruling out the battery as the cause. You can hear a "click" when the key is turned but the car remains dead. I have been stranded in dangerous situations when this has happened. Each time the vehicle has been taken to service, no remedy is made as I am told that the problem can not be duplicated. The vehicle is currently in for repair with the same issue. I have asked to have the electrical system checked because I have had issues with multiple bulbs blowing out, (all at the same time), one window not raising or lowering from the passenger button only and a multitude of other quirky, electrical items. I feel that this vehicle is unsafe.

- Detroit, MI, USA

Aug 162012

The contact owns a 2010 Dodge Journey. The contact stated that while driving 70 mph the vehicle stalled without warning. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic who was unable to diagnose the failure. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileage was 56,000.

- Jackson , TN, USA

Feb 012012

Journey 6-cyl

We received notice that there was a voluntary brake recall from Dodge Jan or Feb 2012. At the time my wife was experiencing jerking and pulling to the steering wheel when braking. We took the vehicle to the dealership and we were advised that the front pads and rotors would have to be replaced and Dodge would cover the cost. This was around Feb/Mar 2012 with approximately 17K on the vehicle. On 4 Aug we took the vehicle back to Dodge due to the same braking problems and a check engine light. We were advised that the check engine light was caused by a crack piston head and Dodge stated that the piston would be replaced under warranty. However, we were then advised that the jerking and pulling in the steering was caused by the rear brakes and we would have to paid $534 to have the rear rotors and pads replaced. This didn't sound right to me so I checked for any tsb/recalls, the cas website, and NHTSA website I found out that the brake problems (both front and rear) have been a serious issue with Dodge and repairs and costs have been all over the board with Dodge excepting no real fix except charging car owners on repeated repairs that only fix the problem for 3-9K. If this is the case NHTSA should mandate Dodge to properly fix this problem with correct parts or fully recall all of these vehicles. Dodge is putting my wife and son in danger everytime they set foot in the vehicle, and that is something the Agency for highway safety should not allow to continue. We consumers need a real fix and not a bandaide on a defective product and your Agency should not allow Dodge to continue to ignore this problem. NHTSA should not have to wait for someone to lose their life before taking action against Dodge. We are not beans to count, we are people!

- Cheverly, MD, USA

May 172011

Journey 6-cyl

I purchased a 2010 Dodge Journey (used) in September, 2010. My problem first occurred in may, 2011. I went out to my car leaving work, and it would not start. Lights/horn/locks/radio all worked, but all I got when I turned the key was a clicking sound. At first thought, I figured the battery may have died and needed a jump-start. But this did not work. After trying for 1.5 hours, I finally had the vehicle towed to a dealership. As soon as the vehicle was released from the tow truck, it cranked right up. I had the dealer run a full diagnostic check on it, since it was there and problem had occurred. But they found nothing wrong. I drove the car home, and the problem began to occur more frequently. It has occurred at least twice a week, with wait times varying. Sometimes it'll start after 5 minutes. Other times, I have waited 2-3 hours without it starting, and have been forced to have the vehicle towed. Over the past year I have driven (or towed) this vehicle back to my local Dodge dealership a 10 times! the most recent visit was on 7/29/12, when I paid to have the win module and key fob replaced, and it still doesn't work. I have been given several reasons for the problem, all of which they have supposedly fixed (either at the expense of my extended warranty or at my own expense). Other times, I have simply been told there is nothing they can do because they cannot duplicate the problem when they have it. I have filed 2 separate complaints with Chrysler corporation, but no help. I no longer feel safe driving this vehicle. I Transport my 3 grandchildren on a daily basis (two 4-month old twins, born prematurely). I live in tx, where temperatures reach as high as 110+. I am very afraid of having my grandchildren in the car with me, and the car will not start for 2-3 hours, forcing us to wait in the 100+ temperatures to see if the car will decide to work. Please help!!!

- Mesquite, TX, USA

May 022011

Journey 6-cyl

The car first would stall while driving losing all power, a plastic piece was installed to hold key after several complaints. Shortly after the vehicle would not start at all on several occasions leaving me stranded this happened for almost a year more often than not and I was told by the dealerships there is no recall and I would need to pay to replace the ignition which I had to finally do when the vehicle would no longer start at all in January of 2012, I now have a new ignition which was supposed to fix the problem and have still been experiencing the same problems about a month after I replaced the ignition and keys which I had to pay extra for a second key it is getting back to the way it was before I replaced the ignition taking me 30 mins to start my car today, all the power comes on the engine will just not turn over. This car is become very unreliable for a working mother, I never know if I'll be able to just get in my car and go or if I'll have to leave my car somewhere over night and come back and hope it starts again. Please help!!

- Davenport, IA, USA

Oct 042010

Journey 6-cyl

While driving at hwy. Speed 50 mph, engine just cut off, losing lights, power etc.. after months of complaints and appointments with no help, finally received a recall notice about a yr. After our first complaints. The ignition switch had to be replaced, fob was slipping out of ignition. Now brakes are on back order, resurfaced both front and rear at 9406 miles, adjusted at 12259, and awaiting parts for our third repair on the brakes front and rear at 20697. Did I mention they want a 100. Deductible to repair a defect in their brakes.

- Keansburg, NJ, USA