Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: I hope I can stop you from buying this vehicle before you find out that it won't be able to stop you.

2010 Dodge Journey steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Dodge Journey:

2010 Dodge Journey Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Apr 172016

Takata recall when slowing down to a stop light the car locked the steering and breaks. The traction control light came on. I was unable to come to a complete stop and ended up going halfway through the light. I turned the car off then back on. It was fine. About a month later the same thing happened as we were driving on the highway. We had no control over the steering or breaks. I contacted the dealer and they said there was no open recall so they would not fix it for free. I just bought the car two months ago.

- Lancaster, OH, USA

Dec 152015

Driver side front window/locks/mirror controls don't work. Rear window controls do work on driver side. Locks and passenger window controls work on passenger side. All is exactly as in safety recall K07-front door wiring harness (stopped with model year 2009) so why is my exact problem (2010) shared by so many other 2010S on the internet, too" I am frustrated. Mechanic cannot find problem. Considering buying a new master switch for driver door-others say replacing it didn't work! it's a known problem-symptoms exact and to the "T"...recall window cutoff too soon!!! was notified of ignition/key fobick recall, thankfully! car occasionally almost dies, chugs, and keeps running. Car starts and runs great-intermittent almost dying thing always out of the blue! not notified about high pressure power steering hose leaking problem-just paid to have that replaced. Power steering makes terrible noise when turned to right. Suspension rattles like a box of bones! what next" I'm getting the sense that this vehicle isn't safe to drive (esp. W/my son in the car)! diagnostics and repair bills and quotes really starting to stack up-the more I look into this 2010 Dodge Journey regarding my problems, seeing so many others with same exact problems-really surprised that the recall list isn't more than it is! how many people have to live through the same poor quality issues before the manufacturer takes care of these sometimes seemingly pandemic problems"?" started before 116,000 miles - now 120,115 miles.

- Wauwatosa, WI, USA

Aug 052015

The contact owns a 2010 Dodge Journey. While driving 45 mph, the vehicle stalled and the steering wheel became difficult to turn. The contact stated that all the warning lights illuminated. The vehicle was able to be restarted. The vehicle was not taken to a dealer. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The VIN was unknown. The failure mileage was 90,000.

- Fredericksburg, VA, USA

Dec 172015

3 days ago with the car alarm sounding in early morning. I went outside to see what had happened and there was nothing there to be concerned about. Then a few minutes later the car just stated randomly honking it horn on its own! now this is all happening while car was parked in driveway. I thought that maybe maybe it was part of the security on the car and then it stopped about 5 mins later. While still parked. Later on in the day I took the car out to do some things when it started randomly honking it own horn. This was all happening while I was on a major road. This then created a very dangerous moment because I got distracted because I couldn't figure out why the hell my car just started randomly honking it horn and it wouldn't stop for about 5 minutes. Multiple people stopped because they thought I was honking at them which caused things to get very crazy. So now I know something isn't right, so I decided to take the car back home for everyone's safety and well now the car is back home and the random honking has stopped. We all went to bed, and at 12:00 pm Thursday night. It happened again while parked in driveway, it would beep and beep and then stop and beep again and then it wouldn't stop beeping and then it wouldn't stop. Now I then got really nervous because this just isn't safe and is annoying for the poor neighbors trying to sleep. So luckily about 10 mins later the honking had stopped. I went back to sleep hoping it wouldn't continue to happen. Now its Friday there hasn't been any honking for the last few hours while its been parked in driveway all night. Now through the whole Friday nothing seemed to happen until about 7:00 pm, it happened again the car started beeping its horn and this time for about 10 mins randomly during that time while it was parked. Knowing that this wasn't going to stop I took out horn fuses for now, but now I have no horn!

- New Fairfield, CT, USA

Jul 222015

This is regards to recall R03 on a 2010 Dodge Journey. I have been a a recall list for many months. My vehicle twice now has shut off while driving for no reason. After having the car looked at and spending money I don't have, it was determined it was due to this recall. I have made calls to the dealer and to Chrysler. All I am told is these parts are on restriction and they are sorry but they can not help me to get this taken care of at this time. Why is Chrysler not concerned about the safety of it's drivers. If this had happened while my son was driving he could have been seriously injured or even killed. What will it take for them to get this taken care of? when I am able to afford another car it will not be a Chrysler product of any kind.

- Knoxville, TN, USA

Feb 182015

While driving my vehicle on a long distance road trip, which I do quite often, the steering wheel began to vibrate as I was decreasing the speed from 65 miles per hour. I have since had my tires replaced and the TPMS on one of my wheels became corroded. The problem still persisted. I had my back brakes replaced, the problem still persisted. I had my wheels aligned, the problem still persisted. My mechanic is currently replacing the axle along with my front brakes. Hopefully, this fixes the problem. My daughter is in college and my family and I will be making 8 hour road trips often. I am financially obligated to this vehicle and need it to service my families needs. Dodge needs to ensure that their vehicles are safe and reliable.

- Brooklyn, NY, USA

Aug 102015

The contact owns a 2010 Dodge Journey. While driving approximately 45 mph, the vehicle stalled and the steering ability seized without warning. The vehicle was merged to the side of the road and then it was driven to the contact's residence. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer or an independent mechanic for diagnostic testing. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 64,000.

- Indianapolis, IN, USA

Feb 012015

The contact owns a 2010 Dodge Journey. The contact stated that the vehicle failed to start and the steering wheel started to shake excessively. The contact mentioned that the ESC and traction control lights illuminated on the instrument panel. Also, the contact mentioned that the shift lever became stuck in the park position. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 54,000.

- Bottleground, WA, USA

Mar 102015

Journey 6-cyl

My steering started to vibrate excessively and then the brakes started to get hot, it sounded as if I was running over the bumps on the side of the road that warn drivers they are about to leave the road; however, I was no where close to them. They eventually stuck and began to smoke. I stopped the car and left it in a parking lot so that it would not burn to the ground if I decided to drive it. Both driver and passenger side rotor and caliber were changed and I am still having problems with the brakes sticking.

- Bardstown, KY, USA

Feb 242015

Journey 6-cyl

Engine stalled while driving causing loss of power steering & power brakes. Diagnosis revealed that engine would stall if key was moved slightly. Could have caused a serious accident. Superstition springs Chrysler replaced the win module at a cost of $492.46. How many people have to die or be injured before the manufacturer accepts responsibility, initiates a recall and takes care of the problem at no cost to the vehicle owner?? I believe that Chrysler Corp should reimburse me for the cost of this repair.

- Mesa, AZ, USA

Mar 102015

Journey 6-cyl

While driving into work this morning my horn began to go off on its on and randomly. Nothing I did would stop the horn from going off. I called both my dealer and Chrysler directly neither said they have heard of any issues regarding this. Some of the warning lights on my dash also came up and then went off. This seems to be a safety issue and I am concerned.

- Batavia, OH, USA

Feb 182015

The contact owns a 2010 Dodge Journey. While driving approximately 35 mph, the steering wheel became difficult to maneuver without warning. The vehicle was taken to a dealer. The technician diagnosed that the power steering hose needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure and stated that the VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 10V475000 (steering). The failure mileage was 58,000. The VIN was not available.

- Latham, NY, USA

Oct 012014

The contact owns a 2010 Dodge Journey. The contact stated that on two occasions the power steering hose detached from the crimped, which resulted in fluid leaking. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the power steering hose needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired but the failure persisted. The VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 10V475000 (steering). The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 66,000.

- Schenectady, NY, USA

Jun 062014

Journey 6-cyl

Just like many 2009 and 2010 Journey owners, I too have experienced the vehicle not turning over to start. It has happened approximately 2 dozen times in the past 2 months at random. Sometimes the vehicle will not start 3 times in one day and then the problem will not occur for another week. Once the key is in the ignition and I turn it, I have battery power, it simply will not push through to actually start the vehicle. This is very irritating and I have not been able to duplicate for the dealer so of course they will do nothing for me. I also have noticed that on the freeway, when getting above 60 the steering wheel feels shaking which is quite terrifying and then if I go to break, it feels very wobbly. Again, not something that I can reproduce at the dealer and therefore cannot be fixed. I loved my car for the first couple years I owned it, but lately it is not up to par and worries me to drive with my 2 kids in fear of the unpredictable steering issue or being stranded if it decides to not start at all.

- Waterford, MI, USA

May 012011

I do not for the life of me understand why there has not been a recall issued for the 2010 Dodge Journey for the brake, tire, and rotor issue! I have had to replace the tires which were an arm and a leg because they are not a common tire/size, they wanted me to switch to a different tire size which then would affect the speedometer.. no way.. I have had to put 3 sets of rotors on the car and 2 sets of brakes, and going on 2nd set of tires.. you can't tell me there isn't an issue.. if I could get rid of the lemon I would but financially I am not in a position to. I have a friend with an identical car/color and we have the same story.. ridiculous! please help the owners of this lemon!

- Shippensburg, PA, USA

Jun 232013

The contact owns a 2010 Dodge Journey. The contact stated that while driving various speeds, the power steering failed and all the instrument panel indicators illuminated. The dealer could not diagnose the cause of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired and the manufacturer was notified. The failure mileage was 78,103.

- Talleahassee, FL, USA

Mar 092011

Rotors are warped causing a shaking, wobbling steering wheel when applying brakes. So far, 3 sets of rotors have been put on this vehicle (1 from factory and 2 follow on sets by dealer due to continual failure of rotors...) there are only 21000 miles on this Journey and it will soon need a 4th set of rotors. The persistence of rotor failure makes it hard to steer the car safely as the steering wheel shimmies violently when applying the brakes. The rotor failures are also causing unsafe, premature and uneven wear on the tires. In all, the 2010 Journey is unsafe to drive because of the consistent rotor failures. I do not know what do do.

- Cape Coral, FL, USA

Jan 032013

Since we purchased our Dodge Journey it's been nothing but problems we own a 2010 Journey. We've had to replace brakes and rotors, steering makes a very loud noise when turning almost sounds like electricity and my vehicle is not the only one I witness the same problem with another persons car same Dodge Journey we always get our car the necessary oil changes and my engine makes a very funny noise even our mechanic was worried he told us that our car is still new that my engine has to be leaking because everytime we get our routine oil changes it seems like the car is low on oil. Also when I start driving away it loses speed and make a very ugly sound. This is by far the worst investment ever do not throw your money away on anything Dodge or Chrysler garbage expensive garbage then when you call them up they say they can't do anything about it. I think the government should be more strict on these kind of things this is our money here we pay taxes on these car more should be done to protect the consumer.

- Kissimmee, FL, USA

Jun 182012

I have had my tires replace about every 25,000 miles the are wearing really bad on the inside I have had alignments done and there is no issue with the alignment I have spent over $1000 on tires not sure if it is caused by the brakes and rotors being bad. I've had them replaced twice also.

- Oakwood, TX, USA

Jun 122013

Went to have my brakes inspected due to a screeching sound. The sound at 1st lasted about 2 weeks. By the time I made it to the brake shop it of course stopped. Upon inspection of the braking system we were told that in 3 more days the brakes would have went out. We do not drive hard or ever have to stop fast. My husband & I learned that the brake system has an known issue with the brake shop.. we were told the brakes will screech & then stop working if not fixed right away! that's very scary as we don not want to crash & kill someone or our selves. The brake system failed starting with the calipers & was rubbing in the pad causing extreme wear & is was said the manufactured brake are not made to stop a vehicle so heavy as ours. And for that reason we were told to file a complaint. I called Dodge & was told the warranty has expired & we would had to pay for it on our own. Also when we bought the Dodge in 2010 brand new the alignment was off & was pulling to the right. After having the alignment & brakes repaired for a second time in under 2years it is clearly an issue with the brake system. This time it will cost us $575 to repair just the brake system.. this needs to be recalled asap! before someone is hurt or killed!! and Dodge should own up to this issue! in addition the A/C has a loose connection & will stop blowing for no reason. And other issue to deal with in hot weather!

- Ocala, FL, USA