3.2

2012 Dodge Journey miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Dodge Journey:

2012 Dodge Journey Owner Comments

Sep 102016

Journey

We had issues with the differential, updates needed and Dodge has no clue. But now this...we have a 2012 Dodge Journey that is acting very strange. It started with the headlights being on, even when they were off (we do not have automatic lights)...then after the car was off, the headlights would flash on and off every 10-30 seconds, we would have to undo the battery to keep it from dieing. We replaced the headlights switch and it still does and added a symptom. When my husband would manually lock the doors, it would unlock by itself. We were told it was the tipm which has to be done by Dodge. Not sure what it will do next!

- Pawtucket, RI, USA

Aug 222016

Journey

Crankshaft sensor and 2 camshaft sensors had to be replaced. Going uphill on a bridge that I travel 2X a day for 365/year, it decided to cut off while going up the bridge, I went from 52 mph to 0 mph and coasted to the foot of the bridge, it would sputter when trying to turn on and then after 20 - 30 mins, it turned on as if nothing happened and I drove home. The next day tried to drive over the bridge and it did the same thing going up hill. It just stopped. Mechanic says I had 2 bad camshaft sensors and 1 bad crankshaft sensor. The car still hiccups and shutters and acts like it is going to cut off again as I go uphill with the air conditioner on. I really believe in my heart the air conditioning is draining the power and somehow causing adverse affects elsewhere, I just dont know how I can prove the correlation. I don't feel like replacing those sensors is the end all to the story. I just don't know what else to do.

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

Mar 012016

Journey

Car has periodically stalled while driving 10+ times over the last six months. It has been to the dealership and they attempted fixing a couple of items...one was under warranty and one cost over $200 to repair. Yet, the car stalled again two times a month after the last repair. Stalling usually happens while slowing down and about to make a turn. It has happened three times while pulling into my driveway, which has a slight incline.

- Cary, NC, USA

Jun 142016

Journey

I purchased a used 2012 Dodge Journey in September 2015 from lakeshore Chrysler Dodge and Jeep of slidell, Louisiana. We have had nothing but problems since driving off the lot. Found out after purchase that the car was not inspected prior to dealership reselling it. Before I even got home the check engine light came on. I called the dealership and reported issues. They did the oil change and inspected the car and said everything was fine it was "normal noises" however after complaining and complaining the were able to locate and fix the issue with the shifting noises and jolting. We are still experiencing the "normal noise" of three clicks when the engine turns off. We have numerous electrical/computer issues. The air, radio, touch screen, lights, all got off randomly. The system will not respond even if the vehicle is turned off and back on. It works when it wants to. We have issues where the car accelerates faster on its own have to break while car still tries to accelerate. We have had this vehicle in the shop numerous times since the purchase and they "can not duplicate the issue" so they can not fix it. I have provided numerous videos showing and proving the electrical/computer issues we are having. Dodge refuses to do anything to fix the situation. Everything is at our expense. Wants us to pay 150 diagnostic fee on top of having to get rent-A-car for the duration of time the vehicle is in the shop. The dealership has had my car on numerous occasions. One time they had it for over 18 days and said "normal noise" and "could not duplicate" however out of the 18 days they only drove the car 35 miles. I no longer feel safe driving this car. It scares me just to drive to the local grocery which we gotten stuck and had to have towed to dealership. I am so scared & trapped in this car with no way out. Contacting a lawyer this can not be legal to sell defects.

- Pearl River, LA, USA

Dec 222015

Journey

I have tried to get my vehicles in for their recalls however the dealership can never get the vehicles done in a reasonable time frame. I can make an appointment and have everything set up for a 30 minute fix and as soon as the car gets there it's well we will need to keep it for 48 hours before we can work on it. My other vehicle is a takata recall and it's been on a waiting list for over a year to came in.

- Houston, TX, USA

Dec 132015

Journey

I'm not sure where this falls under since I never experienced this issue until this past Sunday. My hatch/trunk area opened one minute and when I attempted to open it again it did not open. There is no way to open it and there is no emergency latch, switch or anything to open it from the inside. I feel this is a major safety issue. Any advice will be appreciated.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Apr 112013

Journey

Since I purchase my car, the radio has gone out of conto andconstinley keep changing the channels and won't stop. While driving my radio and HVAC turned off and interior light came on. Now my gears hesitating to shift (sticking) when turning making a loud thump. This all happens while driving on a highway, street. If I hit a bump, my radio would change channels

- Smyrna, DE, USA

Aug 032015

Journey

The instrument panel which controls your ability to turn on radio, tape player, and heating/air conditioning has gone out. I purchased this car in November 2013, and it's unfortunate for me that I did. Another failure of this automobile is when it rains heavily, my back doors fill with rain water. You can hear it inside of the doors. It makes me believe that the car was in some type of flooding condition. My back wheel on the drive's side also has a brownish-red tinge that appears to be rust. I am disappointed. Did I see the correct report of the reliability of the car? when you place the key in the ignition and start, or use any of the modes on the ignition, the screen was constantly stating, "loading, " and it turned black and is out. This happened before in 2014 and I thought that maybe it was just a glitch, but it isn't.

- Saint Louis, MO, USA

Jul 202015

Bluetooth / uconnect / voice recognition stopped working

- Ringgold, GA, USA

Jul 062015

Journey

I drove my vehicle for about 30 miles, upon arriving home and removing my children from the car I smelt something burning. I couldn't locate where the smell was coming from and just decided to keep an eye on it. On the 21st of July again after driving a decent amount, maybe 25 miles, and removing my children from the car I smelt burning. When going to the passanger side of my vehicle the smell was stronger, at that time I noticed smoke coming from my rear passanger tire area. I have taken my vehicle to two seperate mechanics, including the dealership where I purchased my car and have been told different things as to what exactly is wrong. I also happen to be 4 days away from my warranty expiring and have a feeling that may be causing the difference in diagnosis. I have spoken with Chrysler directly and also have been told that my warranty will not cover anything if the dealership does not figure out the issue by Tuesday (the 28th and last valid day of my warranty) even though the complaint and diagnosis had been made today. I have been aware of a recall on other 2012 Dodge Journey's but according to various recall information sites my vehicle does not fall in the manufacturing date range which I do not believe should be excluded since it is having the same issues as what the recall was put out for. Between both mechanics I have been told brake pads need replaced, rotors need resurfaced and/or replaced, and one of the mechanics expressed that there was either a caliper issue or brake line issue which would be causing the burning and smoking (my vehicle is only 3 years old and only has 24K miles on it.) Dodge has refused to acknowledge this issue which is covered by my warranty and the warranty will not pay for the replacement unless Dodge says the caliper/brake line has an issue.

- Glenarm, IL, USA

Jun 012015

Journey

My daughter was driving the car when the ABS light lit up and never turned off. Then the add service light came on. The car barely stops… like the brakes are just given out. Mind you… there is less than 30K miles on it.

- Magnolia, NJ, USA