2016 Dodge Journey engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2016 Dodge Journey:

2016 Dodge Journey Owner Comments

Jan 062016

"takata recall" on 4 or more occasions my vehicle has shut down while driving. This normally occurs when slowing down or after tapping the brake. The first time was about 2 months after purchasing the vehicle after leaving work and stopping at a stop light. It has died while slowing down to take a curve and also on a busy highway out of town tapping brakes in heavy traffic going about 50mph and almost getting rear ended. Each time I would have to come to a complete stop, put it in park and restart the vehicle.

- Nevada, MO, USA

Aug 132016

The car stalled out with no warning on the highway. Luckily I was going slow because I was going on an off ramp to get onto the highway. The car siezed up completely I had no control I barely was able to limp it into a parking lot. I was lucky. The car restarted with no problems after that. I took it to the dealer and they spent 3 full days diagnosing the problem. They found nothing. I looked online and there are similiar complaints about this vehicle. And the same thing is said over and over again.........nothing is known about the problem thus nothing can be done about the problem. Meanwhile I am stuck driving a car that could at any time do the same thing again. It is like playing russian roulette. I do not want to drive this car again I do not want this car anymore.

- Edison, NJ, USA

Jul 142016

I bought this car with 11 miles on it. A couple weeks ago I was going about 30 mph and I stopped at a 4 way stop. I did a complete stop the engine turned off the steering wheel locked and I was stuck in the intersection luckily I didn't get hit. I had to put it back in park and it turned on. Scary situation. Today I attenpted to turn on the ignition and it just turned and turned for 30 seconds and car didn't start. I turned it off and tried again the car started but check engine light is on still don't know what's wrong will take to dealer asap

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Jul 272016

While driving my brand new Dodge Journey just purchased almost 2 months ago, the engine stalls out suddenly while driving. This has happened 3 times now, with the last time being on a major highway almost causing a major accident. The engine shuts off, steering wheel and brakes lock and car just coasts to a stop. After a minute the car can be restarted. No lights come on to signify a problem during this time, it just stalls out completely causing a major potential for an accident. Brought to the dealership who says they can find nothing wrong with the car. I have 3 children and this happened with 1 in the car, putting us in serious danger.

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Jun 192016

Vehicle stalls randomly while decellerating, braking, stopped or driving. All electrical components remain operational (A/C. radio, gauges, etc.) but braking and steering become difficult. You must come to a stop, park and restart the vehicle. This has happened three times now, twice to myself and once to my wife. Two dealerships have found no issue so nothing can be done. I am at the end of my options and fear for the safety of my family. Please advise me of my options before one of us is hurt or worse.

- Phoenix, AZ, USA

Jun 282016

I had 2016 Dodge Journey bought from superstition Dodge in mesa Arizona. The engine shuts off by itself while braking and one time while driving. When engine shuts off the car looses power steering and brakes. This could cause fetal accident and may be death. I contacted Dodge tempe Arizona. I went to them after it happen first time and they said no error code and it could be a glitch!! then when it happen for second and third time and I was about to make an accident, I contacted them again and contacted Dodge company. They open a case # 29588743. And tempe Dodge took again for over a week and they were not able to find the root cause. They want to give me the car back and I am afraid about my family safety and people and cars in the street. I contacted Dodge again and the case manager name is venessa X40752. She said there nothing she can do and she wants to close the case. They do not care and they want to give the car back to me knowingly that the car could have an accident again if the engine shuts off and the car fail to brake and steer. What happen is when driving, sometimes "3 times" when brake "2 times" or when slowing while running "1 time" the engine shuts off and the ignition button still shows run and ac is still working on the battery. When engine shuts off no brakes so car keeps moving and steering is very hard to control because of loss of power. It is life threating and could cause death to pedestrians and or passengers. Please help, I do not want my family to get injured or die and I do not want people in the street to get injured or die.

- Tempe, AZ, USA