CarComplaints.com Notes: This is a classic example of why you should avoid the first model year of a new car. Sure, it's new and shiny but there's going to be some growing pains.

The 2005 Magnum has problems with the gear shifter getting stuck, a shaky and sometimes stalled engine and transmission failure at 75,000 miles.

Let someone else deal with those headaches.

2005 Dodge Magnum engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Dodge Magnum:

2005 Dodge Magnum Owner Comments

Mar 132015

Magnum SXT 3.5L V6

I had this same issue at 53777 miles, cam and crank sensor shorting. My husband was going to work and as he sat at a light, the car shut off. He started it back up with no problem. I tried to go over to my parents today and I felt it start to hesitate and when I pushed on the gas the car didn't want to move. I got it back home before it started jerking badly. I don't want the timing belt to jump two teeth again. My dad checked around for the sensors and we should be able to fix for around $40 compared to the $325 the dealer charged and I won't have to put up with the rudeness.

- , Ocala, FL, USA

May 022012

Magnum RT 5.7L

The problem is that the magnum shuts off when is running. When you start it, the car runs for a few seconds and shuts off again.

- , Ponce, PR, USA

Jul 012010

Magnum ES

The first time this happened, I was in a construction site in Salem North Carolina. When traffic picked back up I was nearly ran over by cars accelerating. I sat in the middle of a 4 lane highway. Just sitting there. It would not start or do anything at all. I finally thought to put it in park and then it started. I pulled off the shoulder and jumped out of the vehicle thinking that I nearly died. No one is able to tell me why it started doing it. Nobody can tell me how to fix it or what is wrong with it. It does it at least once a day and I wonder why I am making a car payment.

- , Cornettsville, KY, USA