Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: This is a classic example of why you should avoid the first model year of a new car. Sure, it's new and shiny but there's going to be some growing pains.

The 2005 Magnum has problems with the gear shifter getting stuck, a shaky and sometimes stalled engine and transmission failure at 75,000 miles.

Let someone else deal with those headaches.

2005 Dodge Magnum fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Dodge Magnum:

2005 Dodge Magnum Owner Comments (Page 3 of 3)

May 222013

Magnum 8-cyl

After fueling up the vehicle to a full tank the car seems to want to stall when coming to a stop. This happened on three separate occasions within a span of 3 stop lights and when you go to restart the car it doesn't want to start right away leaving you vulnerable at a stop light just sitting there.

- Irving, TX, USA

Apr 092012

Magnum 8-cyl

The car, after filling with gas, suddenly stalled while driving down a main road. I had to stop in the middle of the road, put the car in neutral, restart it, put the car in drive, wait 2 seconds or so for the transmission to re-engage, and then I could move again. A truck slammed into the back of the car after it came to it's jerky stop and the oncoming truck didn't realize a person would be stopped in front of him where there was no light or stop sign. I found out later, from a car forum, that the 5.7 liter Dodge have a rash of issues where the check valve that is part of the fuel tank fails and causes the emission system to get wet and the computer gets confused signals causing the car to stall (shortly after filling the tank). I found out that it would cost at least $1000 to change the entire gas tank as the only fix to the problem. I can't believe there isn't a recall for this dangerous problem. Luckily the damage in the crash wasn't severe although I suffered from whiplash as a result.

- Granbury, TX, USA

Feb 092010

Magnum 8-cyl

When the gas tank is filled completely full, the car stalls.

- Quinlan, TX, USA

May 172011

This has been affecting my 2005 Dodge Magnum rt 5.7L vehicle for over 2 years now. It is dangerous! if the car is filled (not overfilled) at a gas pump the vehicle is almost guaranteed to stall because of a faulty valve in the fuel cell that allows raw fuel to soak the charcoal canister that is only supposed to be processing fuel vapor for emission control. There is nothing else wrong with the fuel system. Not a loose gas cap or anything else. Not only that, unless the vehicle is down to 3/4 of a tank or less the stalling can occur during any driving conditions that would allow fuel to slosh in the cell such as, fast elevation changes in the road, under acceleration or mild to hard braking or under load during cornering. I have spoken to my mechanic at length about this and all that can be done is to replace the faulty fuel cell at great expense. There are literally thousands of complaints about this problem on various Chrysler/Dodge enthusiast forums on the internet. We are just now hearing about the ability to report it here. Try or and see how many members are suffering from this very dangerous condition. It is not just 2006 models either. The 2005's and some early-build 2007's have the same issue until the design was changed. Any time one of your agents would like to take my car, fill it at a gas station themselves and then try to drive more than a mile without the vehicle stalling and being almost impossible to restart for up to half a minute, they are welcome to it. I guarantee it will stall every time as soon as you turn a corner or brake to a stop at an intersection! we have all been either spending a ton of money to fix it or compensating by various methods to not fill our tanks to prevent getting killed by a faulty valve. Chrysler is well aware of this problem via their dealer network! please do something about this! thank you.

- Fort Worth, TX, USA

May 032010

Magnum 6-cyl

Car stalled (loss of power) after having refueled (to full). Occurred multiple times until we determined that fueling to 3/4 full resulted in no stalling. Stalling occurred within 1/4 mile of driving away from fueling location - often in traffic!

- Trophy Club, TX, USA

May 212011

Magnum 6-cyl

2005 Dodge Magnum SXT AWD filled vehicle with 89 octane gas from speedway on several occasions car would stall upon leaving the parking area to enter into traffic and then would restart after several attempts.

- Mansfield, OH, USA

May 152013

Magnum 8-cyl

Drove to my nearby gas station. Filled up the tank with 89 octane fuel until the handle clicked. Closed the gas cap, started the car. Drove approximately four car lengths and the car stalled. At the time I was half way in the road, half way in the gas station. I put the car in park and attempted to start. I needed to crank the engine for prolonged period of time approximately 4-5 seconds and the car would still not start. Another start attempt after that and the engine started with a RPM surge. Once the RPM smoothed out I proceeded to drive away. About half a mile down the road or less when I was coming down to a red light at slow speed the car stalled again. I put my flashers on quickly. Attempted to start the car, the car started with similar surge in RPM. As of this morning I have 80824 and have purchased the car recently with 80151. I had a similar problem the first time I filled the car up on my way from the dealer. Used recommended 89 octane fuel, left the gas station and car stalled while I was in the middle of the road trying to turn to a parking lot across the street. This was very dangerous as I was right off the highway with two semi truck stops with lots of traffic. Please look into this. I have searched and it looks like other people have similar issues.

- Elmhurst, IL, USA

Aug 142010

Magnum 8-cyl

After a complete fill up (letting the pump shut off on it's own, and not adding any addition fuel afterwards), I left the gas station, and the almost immediately had a rough idle. After several hundred feet, the car stalled. It took multiple attempts and stalls to finally get the car moving forward. When I learned the problem was $800+ to fix, I decided to try and fill the car not quite to full. It's sometimes works, and sometimes doesn't. it's probably happened to me a dozen times since the initial fault.

- Saint Paul, MN, USA

Jun 022008

Magnum 8-cyl

This incident, first that I remember, happened a few miles after filling up my car with gas (89 octane as recommended). I was slowing down while approaching a traffic light and at about 10 mph, my car just shut off. I've had several of the same incidents the years since (about 4 or 5 times a year, I don't really keep track, but it happens quite often still) and that's even after switching to 93 octane, then installing an upgraded camshaft and getting my motor tuned for optimal performance.

- Frisco, TX, USA

Apr 022012

Magnum 8-cyl

I too have experienced this stalling after filling the fuel tank. Takes several starting attempts before the engine will get back to running smoothly and stay running. It is completely repeatable as it happens each and every time the tank is filled. Some have said that the answer is to fill only until the fueling pump clicks off of automatic. Well, not with mine! anywhere near a full tank will cause the stalling problem any help would be greatly appreciated - no safety issues yet with this issue but would not like any either!

- Mc Farland, WI, USA

Sep 172010

Magnum 8-cyl

I filled up my gas tank at service station and when I pulled out onto the road, my engine stalled. Very hard to restart. Problem got worse over the years since then, I can no longer fill up my gas tank or the engine will stall every time. I have to keep the tank at 3/4 full or less.

- Ocala, FL, USA

Jun 202011

Magnum 8-cyl

After filling up with gas the vehicle sputters and/or stalls. This can happen multiple times after one fillup. The vehicle is disabled in traffic and can be difficult to restart. This has happened at least a dozen times now and I am afraid someone could be injured of killed. I rufuse to let my wife drive the vehicle with my kids in the car.

- Chula Vista, CA, USA

Feb 012013

Magnum 8-cyl

Upon filling up or topping off the tank, there is a very strong fuel odor even though there is no leakage or visible signs around the gas cap.this odor remains until the car has been run approx. 100 miles, then goes away.the odor is so strong that I am concerned about a possible fire as has been reported by several other Magnum owners on online forums.

- Weatherford, TX, USA

Aug 072012

Magnum 8-cyl

After filling the car up with fuel, the car stalled multiple times in traffic. Slowly made my way to the dealership which was less than 1 mile away. The car stalled at the dealership multiple times. I was told it is characteristic of model, and just don't fill up tank anymore. Filled up tank 9/10S recently and car stalled multiple times on highway, very dangerous. Took into dealership again, they filled up the tank and it stalled on repairman. I was told I need to replace gas tank and fuel lines at a cost of over $2,000.

- Hilo, HI, USA

Jul 012012

Magnum 8-cyl

Vehicle stalls after getting fuel and only when filling up the tank to full, we don't top off the tank after the fuel shuts off. We now have to guess when to stop filling the tank with how many gallons to add so it is 1 gallon or so below full. The car will stall after filling up and have to re-start if going at slower speed (5-15 mph) very dangerous when trying to leave a gas station or stop light. If at highway speeds then the car will still try to stall and jerks and slows down. Took it to a mechanic and they found an overflow valve sticks open and let's raw fuel down a tube and basically fluids the engine. The only fix is to replace the whole gas tank $3,000 dollars after labor.

- Topeka, KS, USA

Jan 242013

Magnum 6-cyl

I am in the military currently stationed in germany and my 2005 Dodge Magnum had to get a inspection before I can drive. Today when I took it in for the inspection I was told my car was inoperable and will be put in storage until I can get it fixed. The mechanic showed me the tank and on the very bottom it looks like the owner prior to myself had the same issue and tried to seal it with some type of adhesive to fix it. When I purchased my car 2 1/2 years ago the dealer didn't tell me that information so I never knew there was a temporary fix to a serious problem. So now I am forced to pay or a rental car and pay well above the price I would pay in the United States because I have a leak and when I bought the car in 2010 there were only 60,000 miles. Please email me a response at the address listed in section 3 due to time differences and I am not always near my computer to check my skype #. thank you for your time, hope you can help.

- Apo, AE, USA

Dec 062012

Magnum 8-cyl

2005 Dodge Magnum R/T stalls after refueling car. It will stall without warning serveral times. Took it to our local dealer and they did not have a clue what is wrong as no codes came up. It seems to straighten up after about 5 minutes of driving.

- Yankton, SD, USA

Aug 122011

Magnum 8-cyl

Stalls every time you fill up, does not matter how much gas is in the tank, almost always waits till you pull out into traffic. Stalls 3 or 4 times and then runs fine till next time you fill up.

- Sarasota, FL, USA

Aug 312012

Magnum 8-cyl

I started smelling gas so bad that the car was not drivable. I had it checked. The top of the gas tank was leaking, which is underneath the back seat where my children sit. It cost about $400 to fix. However, I had to take it back twice because of the "O" rings. (that is what they called it at the place I got my car fixed) they said that the manufacture changed the part so they had to of known that there was a problem. They should have recalled it. A gas leak situation, when I have four children in the car could have turned into something more then just a gas leak. The manufacture should have made this problem public.

- Coatesville, PA, USA